2007 U.S. News Med School Rankings

Started by Elastase
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

If Cornell moves up closer to Columbia by two spots than I will choose Cornell over Columbia, i.e. Columbia rermains at 10th and Cornell becomes 12th, or Columbia moves down to 12th and Cornell remains at 14th.

Is this bad that I follow US News and World Report Rankings so seriously? Come April 1, is anyone else going to be deciding between schools/waitlists primarily by using the new rankings?
 
mbadoc said:
If Cornell moves up closer to Columbia by two spots than I will choose Cornell over Columbia, i.e. Columbia rermains at 10th and Cornell becomes 12th, or Columbia moves down to 12th and Cornell remains at 14th.

Is this bad that I follow US News and World Report Rankings so seriously? Come April 1, is anyone else going to be deciding between schools/waitlists primarily by using the new rankings?
lol i hope you're not serious dude.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not that it matters to me, but I bet Columbia will hold strong because it will be the first time post-amcas data will be available for their equation or whatever. Lower rate of acceptance = higher rank. 😴
 
I think it'll be interesting to see what happens to Yale. Will it continue its downward trend?
 
Oh my, didn't think people looked at the rankings *that* closely. LOL 😀
 
ChocolateKiss said:
I think it'll be interesting to see what happens to Yale. Will it continue its downward trend?


Doubtful. What goes down must come up, or something like that 😛
 
Good lord, folks, they're ratings done by people who can't even turn out a weekly news rag that rivals Time.

The only people who cares much about USN&WR are premeds....
 
notdeadyet said:
Good lord, folks, they're ratings done by people who can't even turn out a weekly news rag that rivals Time.

The only people who cares much about USN&WR are premeds....
I buy US News to support the families of those who work there.








Hint: J/k.
 
I clicked this thread hoping to see the actual rankings. Thread does not deliver................
 
mbadoc said:
Come April 1, is anyone else going to...
Come April 1st I'm going to do all sorts of crazy sh¡t. I'll tell you all about it then.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
mbadoc said:
If Cornell moves up closer to Columbia by two spots than I will choose Cornell over Columbia, i.e. Columbia rermains at 10th and Cornell becomes 12th, or Columbia moves down to 12th and Cornell remains at 14th.

Is this bad that I follow US News and World Report Rankings so seriously? Come April 1, is anyone else going to be deciding between schools/waitlists primarily by using the new rankings?

That's a great reason to choose a medical school! (or at least HE thinks so...)

geek_nerd_costume_kit.jpg
 
mbadoc said:
If Cornell moves up closer to Columbia by two spots than I will choose Cornell over Columbia, i.e. Columbia rermains at 10th and Cornell becomes 12th, or Columbia moves down to 12th and Cornell remains at 14th.

Is this bad that I follow US News and World Report Rankings so seriously? Come April 1, is anyone else going to be deciding between schools/waitlists primarily by using the new rankings?

No that's not bad, it's wonderful, I implore you to do this.
 
mbadoc said:
If Cornell moves up closer to Columbia by two spots than I will choose Cornell over Columbia, i.e. Columbia rermains at 10th and Cornell becomes 12th, or Columbia moves down to 12th and Cornell remains at 14th.

Is this bad that I follow US News and World Report Rankings so seriously? Come April 1, is anyone else going to be deciding between schools/waitlists primarily by using the new rankings?

Not like you'd want to choose the school that you liked best/fit you best or anything... 🙄
 
Teerawit said:
Sneak peak guys....harvard is no longer #1
that would be hilarious. Harvard has funding out the wazoo that keeps it far in front of Hopkins, Wash U, etc. though.
 
notdeadyet said:
Good lord, folks, they're ratings done by people who can't even turn out a weekly news rag that rivals Time.

The only people who cares much about USN&WR are premeds....
Actually pre-law kids care about it way more than meds.
 
Brainsucker said:
Actually pre-law kids care about it way more than meds.

I do think looking at the assessment scores by residency director are interesting. Speaking of anyone know these scores from 2006 for UVM and AECOM. Hoping to get off UVM's waitlist, if not AECOM bound.

Thanks y'all (sorry to be so cheap to not buy the premium online edition)
 
HMSNeuro said:
My uncle is a copy editor for US News and slipped me this... enjoy...

Wow you got the hookup...looks like all the movement was in the top 10? But if you want to pick your school by ranking, it's really where it's at in the middle of your education and not the first year...
 
Um, not to be a bit lame, but your uncle doesn't care about posting proprietary info (before it is even published) to the entire pre-med universe.

Anyway, on a more positive note, thanks, now I don't have to buy the issue.

Cheers.
 
Some of those numbers look awfully similar to the last issue's. Do you really think $/facutly member and tuition stayed exactly the same at Harvard and Hopkins? I suspect a fake.
 
Hopkins doubled in research funding in one year?

Harvard went down by about 40%? Unless they changed their methodology, it's probably bogus.
 
Brainsucker said:
Some of those numbers look awfully similar to the last issue's. Do you really think $/facutly member and tuition stayed exactly the same at Harvard and Hopkins? I suspect a fake.
For various reasons, they can't/don't update all the info for every school every year.
 
qr321 said:
Hopkins doubled in research funding in one year?

Harvard went down by about 40%? Unless they changed their methodology, it's probably bogus.

Agreed. How can the overall ranking score of Harvard and JH flip in one year. (Almost 20 points)

Either a fake or change in methodology.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
NoSoupforYou13 said:
Agreed. How can the overall ranking score of Harvard and JH flip in one year. (Almost 20 points)

Either a fake or change in methodology.

Uncle noted a massive change in methodology, wouldn't say what exactly... although he mentioned something about match lists and "student satisfaction"
 
Methodology would not change NIH funding data. I cannot imagine schools like JH and Penn increased their NIH grants 2X in a single fiscal year. Moreover, how could Harvard lose 1/2 their NIH grants.

Edit: It's too late for this BS. G'night.
 
The rankings posted are obviously fake. Two giveaways: Harvard, if anything, will have more research funding than last year (>$1 billion); and Columbia's acceptance rate will have gone down to half of what it used to be because they finally became an amcas school.
 
NapeSpikes said:
The rankings posted are obviously fake. Two giveaways: Harvard, if anything, will have more research funding than last year (>$1 billion); and Columbia's acceptance rate will have gone down to half of what it used to be because they finally became an amcas school.


Plus, every school below the top ten has the same stats.
 
Only the top schools have had their numbers changed. Check all the rest of the schools. They are exactly the same to the dollar/number. This is obviously fake.
 
Heimerfink said:
Only the top schools have had their numbers changed. Check all the rest of the schools. They are exactly the same to the dollar/number. This is obviously fake.
:laugh: I didn't even look at it! Thanks for pointing that out.

Some people really have too much time on their hands.
 
Heimerfink said:
Only the top schools have had their numbers changed. Check all the rest of the schools. They are exactly the same to the dollar/number. This is obviously fake.
Someone looks like they're on the waitlist at Harvard and want the Harvard/Hopkins accepted bunch to choose Hopkins, thus freeing up a Harvard spot. 😴

Edit: Except that doesn't make sense, since according to him his situation is actually the opposite of what I posited. Hmm...
 
I must admit that it is somewhat ballsy for HMSNeuro to post such a list. He has now given everyone a non-retractable record to compare the new rankings to when they come out. AND, if they are fake (as I too suspect) it will only solidify the ill-will felt towards him on this forum. Dumb, but ballsy
 
Definitely fake....... HMSNeuro took the 2006 rankings and changed the top ten a bit. Some of you are going to make some gullible docs. "My umm, back hurts.... can I get some vicodin?" "Ok, how much do you need?"

Oh, and btw, my cousin's friend's father's brother told me that this year the rankings are being done solely based on alphabetical order. Expect a big jump for AECOM and a big drop for Harvard (that 'H' is gonna screw them over)
 
Hercules022 said:
Definitely fake....... HMSNeuro took the 2006 rankings and changed the top ten a bit. Some of you are going to make some gullible docs. "My umm, back hurts.... can I get some vicodin?" "Ok, how much do you need?"

Oh, and btw, my cousin's friend's father's brother told me that this year the rankings are being done solely based on alphabetical order. Expect a big jump for AECOM and a big drop for Harvard (that 'H' is gonna screw them over)

The new system based just on alphabetical order will NOT work. There are too many schools starting with the letter U and it will be difficult to differentiate between these schools leaving all pre-meds with no clear direction in their pathetic little lives. USNews would not do this and hurt a significant portion of their market.
 
Art said:
The new system based just on alphabetical order will NOT work. There are too many schools starting with the letter U and it will be difficult to differentiate between these schools leaving all pre-meds with no clear direction in their pathetic little lives. USNews would not do this and hurt a significant portion of their market.

wow it was a joke

However HMS losing #1 isn't :meanie:
 
aumed22 said:
I must admit that it is somewhat ballsy for HMSNeuro to post such a list. He has now given everyone a non-retractable record to compare the new rankings to when they come out. AND, if they are fake (as I too suspect) it will only solidify the ill-will felt towards him on this forum. Dumb, but ballsy

Ouch, but really, did anyone actually think these rankings were real?

Or, on a more toolish level, would it affect your choice between HMS, Hopkins, and Penn if you had that choice?
 
HMSNeuro,

I noticed that the ranks on the list has some odd things to it. There are ties in some ranks, but then I see the numbers skip a few ranks. Like you'll see one school ranked at 44 then the next one ranked at 46.

Maybe he missed something when he copied and pasted? :laugh: Also I think the list might be an old one from some previous year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
CatsandCradles said:
HMSNeuro,

I noticed that the ranks on the list has some odd things to it. There are ties in some ranks, but then I see the numbers skip a few ranks. Like you'll see one school ranked at 44 then the next one ranked at 46.

Maybe he missed something when he copied and pasted? :laugh: Also I think the list might be an old one from some previous year.

He admitted in another thread that it's a fake.
 
ChocolateKiss said:
Sorry, I don't believe this at all.

yeah, the incoming '05 average MCAT and GPAs of the schools aren't the same as they're listed on the official sites. this just seems like someone shuffled the top 6 schools and tweaked the numbers a bit.
 
Art said:
The new system based just on alphabetical order will NOT work. There are too many schools starting with the letter U and it will be difficult to differentiate between these schools leaving all pre-meds with no clear direction in their pathetic little lives. USNews would not do this and hurt a significant portion of their market.

Yeah, the fact that the prices are the same as they are currently is a dead give away