2008-2009 Letter of Recommendation Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Even if your school doesn't have a relationship with Interfolio, why can't you just mail it to them using interfolio?

Because this has nothing to do with Interfolio. I'm not talking about Interfolio. I'm saying that some schools don't want LETTERS. They want a specific form you have to get from them and hand or email to your profs to fill out.

Members don't see this ad.

Call the schools that require their form. I didn't use the forms at all and didn't have any problems. My letters all came from one place with a standard waiver form with my committee letter and they had no problem with that.

Call the schools that require their form. I didn't use the forms at all and didn't have any problems. My letters all came from one place with a standard waiver form with my committee letter and they had no problem with that.

Do you mind if I ask what schools you applied to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Because this has nothing to do with Interfolio. I'm not talking about Interfolio. I'm saying that some schools don't want LETTERS. They want a specific form you have to get from them and hand or email to your profs to fill out.

Ditto Kate. I didn't do any forms, just had my letters sent to each school by Interfolio. MSU does require forms but then again you don't have to get them from professors.

I totally ignored the "required" forms.

It looks like KCUMB has forms too. To all of you who applied without the forms, did you apply there?

I also ignored "required" forms.

First of all, I know this is really extremely frustrating but I would just take a second and grab a few breaths. Trust me, things like this can be annoyances, but that's why we're here to help you get through this and figure out a solution to a problem.

First of all, I had no idea that you had submitted your forms to Interfolio. Had I known that, I wouldn't have mad the post that I did. Now, are you talking about your Undergrad or your schools of choice? If you're talking about your undergrad, do you need to give them your letters for a reason?

I'm talking about my schools of choice. I collected LOR's from all my profs and had them done by April so that this summer, I could turn around secondaries within a day or two. But now that it's summer, I find out that some schools want forms filled out instead of letters. My profs are gone for the summer so I can't get a hold of them until September.

It's just frustrating because there's no reason for it I can see. The forms are all about how you rate the student. Wouldn't a letter of recommendation answer that question?

Which schools are you talking about, exactly? I applied to 6 schools and I had never heard of a form like that (LECOM, LECOM-B, TUCOM-NV, TCOM, AZCOM, NSUCOM).

It looks like KCUMB has forms too. To all of you who applied without the forms, did you apply there?

The schools I applied to and ignored any forms were:
KCUMB
AZCOM
CCOM
DCOM
DMU
LECOM-E and B
UMDNJ
Nova
KCOM

KCUMB
AZCOM
CCOM
DCOM
DMU
LECOM-E and B
UMDNJ
Nova
KCOM

Thanks! Just Joshin, I know it's frustrating. Just call the schools and ask them if you can send letters instead since your professors aren't around.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I remember correctly, most of the forms I saw had a clause that said something like "Form is required unless letters are submitted on official letterhead" or something like that.

I would looks closely at the forms to see what the conditions for not using them are.

Do you mind if I ask what schools you applied to?

LECOM E and B
CCOM
AZCOM
DMU
UNECOM
PCOM
NSU
ATSU-SOMA

Granted there were a couple secondaries that I did not submit, and I can't remember exactly which had the forms in the first place. I do remember discussion about this back when I was applying and the consensus was that we didn't really use them.

I'm talking about my schools of choice. I collected LOR's from all my profs and had them done by April so that this summer, I could turn around secondaries within a day or two. But now that it's summer, I find out that some schools want forms filled out instead of letters. My profs are gone for the summer so I can't get a hold of them until September.

It's just frustrating because there's no reason for it I can see. The forms are all about how you rate the student. Wouldn't a letter of recommendation answer that question?

According to the "DO MSAR" the only school that doesn't accept Interfolio is MSUCOM. I don't believe you need to have additional forms, these are a thing of the past.

According to the "DO MSAR" the only school that doesn't accept Interfolio is MSUCOM. I don't believe you need to have additional forms, these are a thing of the past.

He isn't referring to schools that don't use Interfolio. Some schools state on their website that they want recommendation writers to fill out a form. That's what he's talking about.

http://www.kcumb.edu/Adm2/com_forms.asp

Am I the only one pissed that some schools can't just take letters and require a form to be filled out??? I planned to have all secondaries completed by August. Fat chance since my profs are gone until Fall. Why not just follow the standard? Is it just to be ornery? I don't get the benefit to LOR forms except to watch the frustration level of pre-meds escalate.

I all ready had many of my letters of rec done by June of last year and then noticed all the schools sent along LOR forms. I called many of the schools to see if they wanted my prof's to fill out the forms. The schools said it's more of an outline in case a prof has no clue on what to write about. So I would say call a school or two and see what they say. You may be getting excited for no reason. I would bet that the letters you have all ready would suffice. Good luck!!!!

MSU is apparently pretty particular about using their form.

Posted via Mobile Device

I ignored all required forms and had no problems with the following schools ...

CCOM
PCOM
KCOM
TU-NV
TU-CA
AZCOM
UNECOM
ATSU-SOMA

Don't know if you are referring to any of those schools or not.

Where did you see this?

MSU is particular about their forms because they generally don't do interviews.. for OOS applicants they do more often, but it's rare that they do interviews for any others unless there is something contradicting on your application and they want to know why. Their secondaries go all the way back through high school and are extensive compared to other schools so they they can choose students from those w/o having to do interviews.. Also, their LOR forms are the same, very long and particular with questions.. but you only need two and there aren't any specifics on who they have to be, so it's not too bad.

at least thats what the admissions advisors said there.

My letters are all done! I've had an Interfolio account since November and had all my letters collected by April so that come July, I didn't have to run around like a chicken with his head cut off. Everything was done early for this reason.

I have interfolio too and I'm also done (many many many months ago). But I saw schools that had specific forms also. Does that mean we can't just use the letters we have saved in interfolio? I thought these were schools that actually accepted interfolio.

BTW, why does AACOMAS have a place tha tlinks to interfolio; are we supposed to send our LORs to AACOMAS or to the individual schools?

Last edited by a moderator:
KCUMB
AZCOM
CCOM
DCOM
DMU
LECOM-E and B
UMDNJ
Nova
KCOM

Were you accepted to Nova and Bradenton? I'm applying with slightly better MCAT and a little better gpa and wanted to know my chances.

Were you accepted to Nova and Bradenton? I'm applying with slightly better MCAT and a little better gpa and wanted to know my chances.

No, apparently Florida doesn't like me. :rolleyes: My husband and I both got early rejections from Bradenton although his MCAT is 6 points higher than mine. So it's not just based on numbers. Neither of us has heard anything from Nova still. I was accepted at DCOM and AZCOM.

I shadowed a DO and asked for a letter after four full work days of shadowing back in Feb/March and he agreed, but now this is this the response he has given me:

"the best I can offer and as I suggested to you when you were with us, that I usually don't provide letters to mentoring students, is a letter stating you shadowed me. It that's acceptable let me know, good luck"

I have accepted his offer and will be giving him a gift to give thanks. However, it seems like it will be a rather generic letter, so should I try to find another DO to shadow? To me, shadowing has been a great learning experience to look into the working life of a physician and learn more about osteopathic medicine, but at the same time it is a very passive process. So I can understand why the physician I shadowed can't really write me a great letter. Won't I just come across the same problem when I'm trying to find another DO to shadow? I wrote down questions to ask before every session and asked about things that came up during patient care while shadowing, but it just seems like there is not much else I can do to go that extra mile.

Any advice for me to follow to get a strong letter of rec if I end up shadowing another DO?

I shadowed a DO and asked for a letter after four full work days of shadowing back in Feb/March and he agreed, but now this is this the response he has given me:

"the best I can offer and as I suggested to you when you were with us, that I usually don't provide letters to mentoring students, is a letter stating you shadowed me. It that's acceptable let me know, good luck"

I have accepted his offer and will be giving him a gift to give thanks. However, it seems like it will be a rather generic letter, so should I try to find another DO to shadow? To me, shadowing has been a great learning experience to look into the working life of a physician and learn more about osteopathic medicine, but at the same time it is a very passive process. So I can understand why the physician I shadowed can't really write me a great letter. Won't I just come across the same problem when I'm trying to find another DO to shadow? I wrote down questions to ask before every session and asked about things that came up during patient care while shadowing, but it just seems like there is not much else I can do to go that extra mile.

Any advice for me to follow to get a strong letter of rec if I end up shadowing another DO?

Wow that sucks. BTW I haven't run into a doc I shadowed that wouldn't write a letter, but I imagine there are others like yours.

At first I thought, "Be upfront." Then I thought about it, and you wouldn't want them to think you're just in it for the letter. I feel for your situation, and it seems likely that your next doc won't mind writing a letter too much, but I could be wrong. Sounds like we need to survey and determine how many have run into this and how likely it is that the next one will do the same...

I have interfolio too and I'm also done (many many many months ago). But I saw schools that had specific forms also. Does that mean we can't just use the letters we have saved in interfolio? I thought these were schools that actually accepted interfolio.

The only school that I applied to that required their own forms and not individual letters was MSU. All other 12 schools (ones people mentioned earlier) were fine with letters from Interfolio.

BTW, why does AACOMAS have a place tha tlinks to interfolio; are we supposed to send our LORs to AACOMAS or to the individual schools?

You still send your letters to Interfolio. AACOMAS and Interfolio have a new "partnership" this year, but I don't think they have merged or anything.

Good Luck :luck:

So how important is it to have a letter from a DO for your DO app?

So how important is it to have a letter from a DO for your DO app?

Some schools 'highly' suggest it, others say MD or DO, and I think there might be 1-2 that require it. The general consensus is that most schools just want a physician letter and a good one from an MD you know is better than a standard 'I shadowed you for 3 hours' one from a DO you just emailed or something. If you can, try to get both ... shows ADCOMS you've researched medicine and you are dedicated to becoming a physician.

By the way ... what the hell does your name mean? I read it like 3-4 times, but I just can't see it.

I have volunteered at this student run free clinic for over 2 years for which I will be getting a MD LOR from. I was wondering if it was a good idea to get a generic/standard LOR from a DO after shadowing for a day as well even though I am applying to schools that recommend DO letters but don't require it?

well, the letter of rec from shifa will be good. however, if you choose to apply to osteopathic programs, it is highly recommended that you obtain a letter of rec from a d.o. Not only will the committee ask you during your interviews why you chose osteopathic medicine, but they will ask you what your exposure has been, this would be a good time to mention that that you shadowed an D.O. physician, and then obtained a D.O. letter. best of luck with the app process

Last edited:
I am going to start shadowing a DO physician, but he is going on vacation on July 10. How many hours of shadowing is good before I can get a good LOR... does getting a good LOR require that I spent a lot of quality time, or quantity time? Please help...I am in LA for a few weeks only and then I'm going back up to norcal after July 10...so i need to make the best use of my time. thank you!!

It just depends on the doctor. I shadowed mine two days a week for five months. Sometimes it is hard to get "quality" time because they are so busy and must do what they need to get done. Bottom line is let them get to know you and your character.

As of now, I will be going back to norcal July 17, so I don't have a lot of time. Plus the doctor is going on vacation July 10. SO....that doesn't leave me too much time. I guess I have to hope for the best then....also, i am applying this cycle, and this attempt to get a LOR is a last minute effort. I have other LOR, it's just I wanted to get a DO letter to help enhance my DO application. go DO! :)

I think the key to getting a recommendation is being unobtrusive but still inquisitive. Also, don't be too boring and talk only medical crap. One of the docs I shadowed, I actually put weekly bets down for football games. Still owes me 5 bucks, but I'll let it slide.

I am going to start shadowing a DO physician, but he is going on vacation on July 10. How many hours of shadowing is good before I can get a good LOR... does getting a good LOR require that I spent a lot of quality time, or quantity time? Please help...I am in LA for a few weeks only and then I'm going back up to norcal after July 10...so i need to make the best use of my time. thank you!!

FYI, ATSU-SOMA wants a letter "from a physician (DO or MD) whom you've shadowed for 20+ hours (prefer primary care)." That's straight from the secondary.

At least you have a DO letter. As far as getting a great letter, it just takes time. I spent two full days per week for five months before I asked my DO for a letter. I also knew him from before and went to school ( a small private school) with his children. The only advice to get a better letter is just to spend more time shadowing them. Good luck, but like I said, one DO letter is better than none at all!

FYI, ATSU-SOMA wants a letter "from a physician (DO or MD) whom you've shadowed for 20+ hours (prefer primary care)." That's straight from the secondary.

Turkelton!!
(inside joke from SCRUBS)

thanks for the info. do you know if that's true for Western/COMP or Touros/TUCOM-California? thanks!

ps. i love Scrubs! someone should make an ID for "Black Whale"! haha!

Turkelton!!
(inside joke from SCRUBS)

thanks for the info. do you know if that's true for Western/COMP or Touros/TUCOM-California? thanks!

ps. i love Scrubs! someone should make an ID for "Black Whale"! haha!

haha yeah I haven't seen one for Black Whale--give it time!

I don't know if it's true for the others. I did apply to them though, so I'll let you know when I find out. Also, SOMA probably won't outright reject the letter if it's less than 20 hrs, but this should be a mark you try to hit during your brief window of DO shadowing.

hey guys, I'm in need of some help with this application process....:confused:...i was wondering if you guys could help me.....

How many LORs do we need from a teacher and how many from outside? These are the people who I'm considering on asking, do you think its to much or perhaps not the rite people:

1. Pre-med committee-since most schools want it from them
2. My Physics teacher, who is also the head of the department (but people are telling me this isn't a strong LOR cuz its not a life science professor, is that true?)
3. My DO doctor that i'm shadowing.
4. An EP doc that i'm shadowing, who is also the director of EP at a hospital.
5. The old ER director at the hospital I work at.
6. The new ER director at the hospital I work at.
7. The nurse manager at the hospital i work at.
8. An ER physician that i worked with.
9. My embryo teacher who is an MD- i'm hesitant about this one cuz i took it a while ago and did well, but don't kno if he will remember me.
10. My micro lab prof- whom i'm also hesitant about cuz i didn't do to good, grade wise, but i had a good relationship with the prof. When i asked her to write me a letter she said "I am more than happy to write a letter of recommendation for you. You will be a wonderful, compassionate doctor so it will be easy to write!" Should i take her word for it and ask her?

it will be a big help if you guys could help me with this.....thanks in advance!!!

hey guys, I'm in need of some help with this application process....:confused:...i was wondering if you guys could help me.....

How many LORs do we need from a teacher and how many from outside? These are the people who I'm considering on asking, do you think its to much or perhaps not the rite people:

1. Pre-med committee-since most schools want it from them
2. My Physics teacher, who is also the head of the department (but people are telling me this isn't a strong LOR cuz its not a life science professor, is that true?)
3. My DO doctor that i'm shadowing.
4. An EP doc that i'm shadowing, who is also the director of EP at a hospital.
5. The old ER director at the hospital I work at.
6. The new ER director at the hospital I work at.
7. The nurse manager at the hospital i work at.
8. An ER physician that i worked with.
9. My embryo teacher who is an MD- i'm hesitant about this one cuz i took it a while ago and did well, but don't kno if he will remember me.
10. My micro lab prof- whom i'm also hesitant about cuz i didn't do to good, grade wise, but i had a good relationship with the prof. When i asked her to write me a letter she said "I am more than happy to write a letter of recommendation for you. You will be a wonderful, compassionate doctor so it will be easy to write!" Should i take her word for it and ask her?

it will be a big help if you guys could help me with this.....thanks in advance!!!

I'd limit it to 6.

1. Yes
2. Life science is nice, but SCIENCE is what matters. If this one knows you better than others, pick this one over other sci profs.
3. A MUST
4. Sounds prestigious--usually a good thing.
5. Who knows you better?
6. ""
7. Hmmm...dunno if I'd use a nurse, unless they know you VERY well and will write a great letter.
8. Do they know you well?
9. Straight up ask them if they remember you well enough to "Write a strong letter of recommendation." You must say STRONG. Give them an out--you don't want it if it's no good.
10. She's already said the magic words! She might even address the bad grade, which is helpful too!

I'd recommend this:

1. Committee letter
2. Sci Prof
3. Sci Prof
4. Non sci prof
5. DO (shadowed/worked with)
6. MD (shadowed/worked with)

Get the best letters possible to fill the above slots, and you'll be set. If needed, get more than necessary and have your committee read them and throw out the excess. :thumbup:

Exactly what courses are considered "science", I have two LORs, one from a statistic professor, and another one from a biomath professor. Do they count as science?

what is everyone giving to their letter writers to mail to your schools? the reason i'm asking is I don't know whether to give them regular envelopes (and your letter author will have to fold the letter in thirds) or manila folders so the letters dont have to be folded? is there any relatively inexpensive way to do this that anyone can recommend? is it acceptable to have them submit a folded letter of recommendation?

also-i chose not to use interfolio because very few of the schools im applying to accept letters from it.

what is everyone giving to their letter writers to mail to your schools? the reason i'm asking is I don't know whether to give them regular envelopes (and your letter author will have to fold the letter in thirds) or manila folders so the letters dont have to be folded? is there any relatively inexpensive way to do this that anyone can recommend? is it acceptable to have them submit a folded letter of recommendation?

also-i chose not to use interfolio because very few of the schools im applying to accept letters from it.

Give them the full sheet-size yellow envelopes. If not, it's fine to fold the letter in thirds. Most people submit folded letters (I worked at a pre health office), but unfolded is nicer. The yellow envelopes are only a couple bucks for like 10 of them. Also address them to your school and put two stamps on them, and I included my school's signed generic waiver form. It's also helpful to give a summary of what you've done/are doing and of the shadowing/classroom experience. This may also include a resumé. These are all so they can sound more like they know you personally. All of my authors, if they didn't request these materials explicitly, have stated how helpful they were while writing the letter. I also told my authors not to specify a particular school and my MDs not to specify "MD" in the letter.

Exactly what courses are considered "science", I have two LORs, one from a statistic professor, and another one from a biomath professor. Do they count as science?

Statistics in the math dept might be okay, since math is considered science. Biomath sounds like an interdisciplinary class of bio and math, both of which would be science.

You may want to email a school or two (or your pre health office) to ask about math letters, though. I know I've seen schools list Bio, Chem, Physics as examples for the science letter. I don't know if this is an inclusive list, but it couldn't hurt to ask. Anyone else use math letters successfully?

I shadowed this doctor and she committed in writing me a recommendation. She had 2 months to write it since I indicated in the letter along with my recommendation form to have it sent in to my school before July 1st. I left 2 messages reminding her about writing me one ( 1 wk gap phone call to the nurse at the clinic), though she did not attempt to call me back or at least let me know that she's still going to write me one. Should I pursue to ask her in person? Obviously she's blowing me off. It does not take too much time to call a person despite having a full day. I gave her my phone #, email, and mailing address. I waived my right to read her recommendation so if she gets annoyed at me, she might write me a bad one. Or, would asking her in person would show that I really need her rec for med school?

She kind of gave me mix messages during the time I was shadowing her. She was really nice in the beginning and at the end of my shadowing, but in the middle, I could tell she did not want me to be around following her. I shadowed her 7x for 2 hrs each time. The other doctor I shadowed, an MD, I only shadowed him for 6 hrs and after the first day (2 hrs) he was already on his way to write me a rec so that recommendation is based on that one day.

I know some DO schools accept MD recs, but is this a rarity? If I am to use the MD rec, is this frowned upon by DO schools?

hey guys, I am really confused on how this LOR thing works:
So I have all my recommendation letters sent to my advisor and he prepares a committee letter.
So when applying to med schools some school participate in the pilot program and many don't. When sending the letters to the school participating schools, my advisor said to give him the AAMC letter ID and he will send the letter.

My question is: how about other schools. how will i send the letters to these schools that do not participate in the pilot program.

Thank you