2008-2009 Letter of Recommendation Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got an update this weekend:

I approached a DO that my mother has worked for over four years now and asked him to write one. As a matter of fact, he had to basically ask a complete stranger for his DO letter years ago, and because of that had absolutely no problem in writing me one. Three days later, he finished it, and it might be the best letter I have thus far...I am feeling pretty good about this now.

Nice!!

Members don't see this ad.

you can still use the LORs for the next cycle

its always beneficial to get at least 1 or 2 more LORs that are most recent to the time you apply because they will probably better reflect growth in your character from the previous year. So if you're taking an upper level course this semester thats more involved then previous courses and you do well, by all means, get another LOR

your pre-med advisor's job is to pick out the strongest letters so the more the better

Really? Even if you have a closed file? Is this ethical? Or common?

Thats how it usually works. Its a cyclical thing. I didn't get to read my letters, but I am pretty darn confident in mine. I'm one of the lucky people that has known my people for years. Glad it worked out for you. I feel like most people overvalue a couple hours a week for 2 or 3 months.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys,
This thread might get better reception in the pre-osteo forum based on the information the OP provided.

PS: And in my personal experience on this matter; I simply added one more LOR since last year. It was in the form of a professional letter. All other LORs have simply been updated by date and signature by their authors.

Hi I was going to apply this cycle but I decided it would better for me to hold off til next year due to MCAT issues.....

Anyway, all of my letters will be 1-2 years old. Do I have to update the dates?

Hi I was going to apply this cycle but I decided it would better for me to hold off til next year due to MCAT issues.....

Anyway, all of my letters will be 1-2 years old. Do I have to update the dates?

If you can't update them, then oh well. Very few schools have an explicit rule about the dates on letters. However, the more recent the better. Plan on getting them resigned/dated, when the time comes, if possible.

Just curious, is there a listing somewhere of the schools that require a waiver waiving my right to view the letters to be attached to letters of recommendation sent to them? I've had a couple so far but some schools don't seem to care for whatever reason.

Hi everyone! I'm new here....

I have a slight problem...My non-sci professor wants ME to write the LOR because he doesn't have time. He said that he wants me to send him the letter and then he can do some editing then be done with it. does anyone have any pointers?!?! I have no idea where to start!
thanks ahead of time!!

I waived my right to review my letters. However, one of my recommenders gave me his letter in a sealed envelope and mail it in. Is this allowed? Won't it look suspicious coming from my mailing address??

Hello! I have a LOR qs...if you haven't received a secondary from a school yet (keep in mind they screen) can you still send ur LOR to them? I have some secondaries currently and was wondering if I could get them all sent out at one time or should I wait until I have the secondary invite to send the LOR? If someone can reply at some point today thatd be great (I want to do this when I get home later!)Thanks!

I waived my right to review my letters. However, one of my recommenders gave me his letter in a sealed envelope and mail it in. Is this allowed? Won't it look suspicious coming from my mailing address??
If its a professor why not mail it from within the University or a nearby postoffice? You don't need to put your return address on it. And now, I don't think this is "unethical" because you haven't seen the letter.

Hi all, I just posted this on a school-specific thread, but I thought this may also be good on the general pre-osteopathic forum.

For schools that say they take either an MD or DO letter, do you think having an MD letter would be just fine? Or would I be at a disadvantage not having the DO letter? I already have an MD letter on file from someone who's known me for several years (she's the dean of my college, I worked for her, and had her as a professor as well).

Since I don't have a DO letter, I was thinking to shadow a DO next week (just for 4 days). Although she and my father are medical colleagues, she doesn't know me at all. I would feel awkward asking her for a letter of recommendation after just shadowing her for 4 days. So I have no guarantee that she'll even write me the letter... as I haven't brought it up yet, simply that I wanted to shadow her. Plus I am in the midst of finishing my MPH thesis right now and am extremely pressed for time... so if I could get out of next week's shadowing to focus on my academics, I could SERIOUSLY use the time. I've shadowed physicians previously (not DOs), so I don't particularly need the shadowing experience.... just the LOR, unfortunately. I mean, if she practiced OMM, that would be really interesting... but I don't think she does, as she's an internist.

So I'm wondering if I could get away with the MD letter on file instead.

What about the schools that strongly recommend the DO letter? Do you think they'd still prefer a DO letter from someone who's known me a mere 4 days over an MD who has known me for the last 5 years? I don't know. Any thoughts would be great.

For those already accepted: Have any of you here been accepted to DO school with an MD (not DO letter)? If so, which schools?

LECOM (both campuses), LMU, PCSOM, RVUCOM, VCOM, and WVSOM all require a D.O. letter. It is strongly recommended to have one at AZCOM, CCOM, NYCOM, PNWU, PCOM (both campuses), TUNCOM, UNECOM, and Western U. These were all taken straight from the excel spreadsheet link on Chocolate Bear's signature. I'm not sure how strict they are about the letter requirements. I don't even have an MD or DO letter yet so I'm in a much worse situation than yourself.

Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply.

Actually, I just saw that there is an LOR thread, and it addressed most of my questions there.

http://more.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=516327

I also called one of the schools that says that they take either an MD or DO letter (ATSU-Mesa) and asked if it was better to have an MD who's known me for years, or a DO who I will be shadowing for a few days. I was suggested to submit both letters... so I'll do that.

Thanks for your reply.

Actually, I just saw that there is an LOR thread, and it addressed most of my questions there.

http://more.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=516327

I also called one of the schools that says that they take either an MD or DO letter (ATSU-Mesa) and asked if it was better to have an MD who's known me for years, or a DO who I will be shadowing for a few days. I was suggested to submit both letters... so I'll do that.

Yes I agree, it's always going to be better to have the DO letter in addition to the MD letter. And, if you are applying to a DO school, it would be good to have shadowed a DO (even if it was for only 4 days). I actually only technically shadowed a DO for one day, and then he wrote me a letter of recommendation. He was a colleague of my mom's, so he had heard a lot about me, but he was perfectly fine with writing one after meeting me only the one time, he knew how the process worked and that I needed a DO letter, as I'm sure she does too.

Hi everyone,
On the Interfolio LOR request e-mail does any one know the instructions provided to the professors in submitting the LOR? Is there an interfolio link in the LOR request e-mail that my professor justs clicks on and uploads my LOR directly into my account? Or are the instructions just indicating mail the LOR to interfolio's address? I'm asking this b/c one of my professors' is confused about how to submit my LOR to interfolio. I have e-mailed interfolio; however, they misunderstood my question. Thank you to anyone who could help =)

Hi everyone,
On the Interfolio LOR request e-mail does any one know the instructions provided to the professors in submitting the LOR? Is there an interfolio link in the LOR request e-mail that my professor justs clicks on and uploads my LOR directly into my account? Or are the instructions just indicating mail the LOR to interfolio's address? I'm asking this b/c one of my professors' is confused about how to submit my LOR to interfolio. I have e-mailed interfolio; however, they misunderstood my question. Thank you to anyone who could help =)

Not sure of the answer, but did you try calling them?

(877) 77-FOLIO (36546) or (202) 223-3358

Hi Chocolate Bear,
Thank you for responding to my inquiry. I have e-mailed them, but not contacted them via phone. I will attempt that if my professor continues to have problems. I'm just not a fan of being on hold (i.e. waste of time). Thank you!!

Hi Chocolate Bear,
Thank you for responding to my inquiry. I have e-mailed them, but not contacted them via phone. I will attempt that if my professor continues to have problems. I'm just not a fan of being on hold (i.e. waste of time). Thank you!!

When I saw your response, I remembered that I filled a letter request for someone via Interfolio. Here's what the email said to me, as the author:

Dear Mr. xxxxxxx

I am pursuing an opportunity that requires that I provide a letter of recommendation written about me by someone who knows me and my work. I am writing to request your assistance in that regard.

Thank You,
xxxxx xxxxxx

HOW TO SUBMIT A LETTER TO INTERFOLIO
MAIL a printed copy of your letter with the required, unique request form to Interfolio. Click here to open and print the request form.

OR

UPLOAD an electronic version of your letter into the Interfolio system. Click here to log in:
http://www.interfolio.com

Document ID: XXXXXX

Don't see a link above? Try here:
http://interfolio.com/xxxxxxx

ABOUT INTERFOLIO
Interfolio is an online document management service that allows fileholders to request, manage and send letters of recommendation from writers. The contents of confidential letters of recommendation will never be revealed to the fileholder.

Maybe you should print this and explain what to do, in person. I think some people get caught up on uploading an electronic signature. If that's the case, tell the doc to just sign the letter and then they don't have to worry about it.

Can anyone give me a breakdown of the LOR's just in general when I apply. How many should I have from science Professors and how many should I have from Humanities etc ?

Last edited:
Each school is going to be a little different, but in general...

***1 Pre-Med Committee OR Pre-Med Advisor

OR

1- 2 Science Faculty (who taught you)

***A physician whom you've shadowed (MD or DO, but some school require DO)

***Some schools want a Social Science/Humanity/Non-Hard Science
Letter

Your best best is to go to the AACOM website, and look up CIB, it's a downloadable info book on all of the schools.

Get your letters lined up EARLY. Throughout the long application process, most things will be in YOUR control, e.g. application, personal statement, MCAT prep, secondary essays, etc.

However, the LORs are NOT necessarily in your control. It can be very frustrating to sit back and wait, wait, wait while your letter writers do not share your sense of timing and urgency.

Get 'em done early so you won't run into timing problems late in the game.

Can anyone give me a breakdown of the LOR's just in general when I apply. How many should I have from science Professors and how many should I have from Humanities etc ?

Just to be on the safe side (in case you also want to apply allopathic as well), I would have 4 letters lined up minimum -

2 science professors (preferably bio, chem, ochem, physics, or any upper div in those subjects)
1 non-science (preferably humanities)
1 physician (preferably D.O. for osteopathic schools)

Optional and appropriate letters include recommendations from work/club/EC/clinical supervisors, but probably no more than 6 letters total. I know that some schools will not take more than 5, some maybe even less.

Or if your school does have the pre-health committee letter, then that letter + physician LOR (absolutely essential for D.O. schools).

Good luck!!!

I for some reason am just having a hard time getting science LORs. All my Professors just seem to be very unapproachable even though I do well in the class and stay in touch with them during the semesters. I think I just need to kiss some butt.

Or you can do what I did, briefly (re)-introduce yourself and email them about your situation (applying to medschool) and see if it would be appropriate to set up an appointment to meet, catch up on things, and most importantly, to exchange the appropriate paperwork (have your current CV/resume, waiver of access form, LOR forwarding address, and personal statement or at least a statement describing "why medicine") ready to go. I actually didn't end up asking for my LORs until a year after I graduated from college and was overwhelmed by the number of offers I got to write the LOR, even from professors I never met or knew personally but still did well in their classes. Some of them didn't even require a personal meeting and preferred to just have me send everything electronically (these were mostly the ones who I never met personally). Since I only needed 2 I had many options.

Hope this helps.

So I still haven't gotten my DO letter. the AOA mentor program
has continued to match me with physicians that say they will write a letter and then disappear on me. I know physicians are busy people but don't say you're going to do it and then never get back to me. I am going to be on hold at LECOM/b (had interview yesterday). Does anyone that lives in Miami, florida know specifically any osteopathic physicians that will actually write me a letter for sure? At this point I'm so desperate that I will do whatever it takes, even wash the guy's car, paint his house, braid his hair, whatever. :laugh:

Hey!

The DO that I shadowed way back in the day (2004) is named Dr. Bennett. He is a DO and last I spoke with him he was working at Pediatric Associates in Miami. He is a really nice guy and last I spoke with him (about 5 months ago) I was trying to get back in touch with him for a possible letter and he offered to write me one even though it has been 4 years since I've seen him! I'm sure if you google him, you will find his contact info.
Hope that helps :)

oh thank you very much chocolate bear =)

Does anyoen know if its still possible for someone to get a letter from the pre-med committee despite having graduated from college several years ago? How does that work?

I have only two lors- one from an engineering professor and another from my employer who is a doctor. I have been out of college, close to 3 years now. It is very difficult to obtain another letter, especially when professors tend to retire and move around. I have been in contact with some admission's directors and most are obstinate in the two science faculty letters. I was told to speak to someone - who could i speak to after 3 years? - and to make it work. I dont think the premedical committee at my school would recommend me, nor do i think it is possible. Does anyone have any suggestions on what i should do at this point? I can still apply to a number of schools but i would limiting the number of schools i can apply to by half. I thought do schools would be more understanding but apparently that is not the case.

Last edited:
Does anyoen know if its still possible for someone to get a letter from the pre-med committee despite having graduated from college several years ago? How does that work?

I have only two lors- one from an engineering professor and another from my employer who is a doctor. I have been out of college, close to 3 years now. It is very difficult to obtain another letter, especially when professors tend to retire and move around. I have been in contact with some admission's directors and most are obstinate in the two science faculty letters. I was told to speak to someone - who could i speak to after 3 years? - and to make it work. I dont think the premedical committee at my school would recommend me, nor do i think it is possible. Does anyone have any suggestions on what i should do at this point? I can still apply to a number of schools but i would limiting the number of schools i can apply to by half. I thought do schools would be more understanding but apparently that is not the case.

Many schools will accept a pre med committee letter in lieu of science profs. Whether your committee will write this for you is up to them. There is a decent chance they'll do it after meeting with you and reviewing your file/app. Go ask them.

If that doesn't work (or maybe even if it does), you should have a CV in hand and go visit some professors you had in science classes, if possible. Explain the situation, give them your info, and see if they'll meet with you for 15 minutes and write a brief letter for this important cause.

We all had to jump through hoops for this. You will too. This is your future we're talking about--so go get some letters! :thumbup:

Hey, thanks for the advice. i just spoke with the head of my school's premedical committee and they will write me a recommendation provided that i submit 3 letters of recommendation to them. I am not sure if i am at a better place than when i arrived. I am not sure if they have to be science faculty letters- in which case i have some more wiggle wrong. Thanks a lot chocolate bear, i didnt know, and apparently a lot of people dont know that premedical committees do write letters for post-grads.

Hey, thanks for the advice. i just spoke with the head of my school's premedical committee and they will write me a recommendation provided that i submit 3 letters of recommendation to them. I am not sure if i am at a better place than when i arrived. I am not sure if they have to be science faculty letters- in which case i have some more wiggle wrong. Thanks a lot chocolate bear, i didnt know, and apparently a lot of people dont know that premedical committees do write letters for post-grads.

Glad to hear it. Science faculty letters would be nice, just because it helps to make the case that you can handle rigorous material and are liked by professors of said material. Just find out quickly so you can get everything together. You're racing against the calendar, here!

Hi,
I will keep trying to get a letter from a DO but meanwhile I started thinking about getting one from a MD. I know a lady that I met 7 years ago. She is like 60 now and used to do hands on Internal Medicine. Now she took a desk job to take it easier. I am thinking about asking her for a letter. Actually, she tried to set me up with her son before she realized that I was about 10 years older than him. Do you think I should ask her for a letter?

some schools also accept a letter from a Dean, if a committee letter isn't possible. i went to a pretty large Big Ten school that doesn't have such a committee. fortunately, i've known the dean of my specific college since freshman year so hopefully that will help out. i'm also wondering if i should get a DO letter over a MD letter...i'm close to an MD whom I've known for a few years now. i'm still going to ask her for a letter and also ask my mom's PCP, who happens to be a DO :) who knows. here's hoping...

Hi,
I will keep trying to get a letter from a DO but meanwhile I started thinking about getting one from a MD. I know a lady that I met 7 years ago. She is like 60 now and used to do hands on Internal Medicine. Now she took a desk job to take it easier. I am thinking about asking her for a letter. Actually, she tried to set me up with her son before she realized that I was about 10 years older than him. Do you think I should ask her for a letter?

i'm also wondering if i should get a DO letter over a MD letter...i'm close to an MD whom I've known for a few years now. i'm still going to ask her for a letter and also ask my mom's PCP, who happens to be a DO :) who knows. here's hoping...

An MD letter that can say something personal about you is very helpful. As helpful as the same letter from a DO? Not quite, maybe, but a close second for the schools that don't require a DO letter. This is especially the case if you've shadowed a DO or know one well, so you can speak intelligently at interviews. They understand that you can't always get a letter from the docs you shadow.

Hey guys i did a search and couldnt find a spot where all the addresses are written for the LOR's to be sent. Is there any way someone has a list or any word doc where i can just copy and paste instead of finding them, becuase alot of the addresses arent in the secondary emails or on the apps

I don't know if there is a location with all the addresses. But for the most part, the addresses are listed either in the e-mail, secondary or on their website. Sometimes it is a pain to find them, but they are there.

Here are some addresses of some DO schools. Sorry I dont have all but like the above poster said schools usually give their mailing address in their emails

UNECOM Admissions Committee
C/O COM Recruitment, Student and Alumni Services
University of New England
11 Hills Beach Road
Biddeford, Maine 04005

OSU Center for Health Sciences
College of Osteopathic Medicine
Attn: Admissions
1111 W. 17th St.
Tulsa, OK 74107-1898

Des Moines University
COM Admission
3200 Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50312

Office of Admissions
A-136 East Fee Hall
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1316

Office of admissions
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences
1750 Independence Ave.
Kansas City, MO 64106

Office of Admission
Ohio University
College of Osteopathic Medicine
102 Grosvenor Hall, Athens, Ohio 45701

Office of Admission
A.T. Still University
800 West Jefferson Street
Kirksville, MO 63501

Obed Figueroa, MHS

Director of Admissions
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine
230 West 125th Street
New York, N.Y 10027

Office of Admissions,
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine,
4170 City Avenue,
Philadelphia, PA 19131

Midwestern University
Office of Admissions
555 31st Street
Downers Grove, IL 60515

New York College of Osteopathic Medicine/NYIT
Attn: NYCOM Admissions Office
Northern Boulevard
PO Box 8000
Old Westbury, NY 11568-8000

Admissions office
UMDNJ-School of Osteopathic Medicine
One Medical Center Drive, Suite 210
Academic center
Stratford, NJ 08084-1501

Hi everyone, I'm a non-traditional student. Graduated from FSU with BSN in 2002, took a 4 pre-med courses the following year. Then moved to Philadelphia and took the rest of pre-med courses at Temple finishing 2 years ago. Problem is: both schools do not have a pre-med committee and I have spoke to pre-med advisors from both schools and they are unable to write me a letter. I met with an advisor from FSU in 11/07 to discuss FSU's med school and spoke to him a few days ago asking for a possible LOR-he stated he couldn't b/c he only advised me 1 time and doesn't know me. I have never met with Temple's advisor and she said it would be difficult to write me a letter as well. I do not know any sci professors.

I know some schools require a pre-med committee letter or 2 sci prof. I spoke to PCOM and they were alright with a letter from the Dean of Nursing College where I graduated from (FSU), which is wonderful, but not all schools will accept that. Does anyone know of any schools that would be more lenient on accepting the Dean's letter? Otherwise, I'm at loss of what to do except to hound the advisors again. Thanks and sorry so long.

The problem with getting a dean's letter is that they're typically very generic: mine says "beachblonde attended our university, she graduated in good standing and had no academic or judicial action taken against her." So even if you can get some schools to accept the LOR (which would take calling them up and asking very nicely) the letter isn't really going to help you.

What I would do is go back to the Temple advisor (more recent) and say "look, I paid good money to this school for the services they provide, and while I understand you don't know me very well, by refusing to write me a letter you are keeping me out of medical school." Provide her with a copy of your transcript, CV, aacomas app, whatever, and tell her (politely) that part of her job as an advisor is to help out students and coughcough, you were a student and would like to collect on that now.

If that doesn't work, think really hard about a sci prof who might remember you. I know it isn't ideal, but unfortunately you're kinda in a sticky situation right now. You could also try dept heads at your respective schools, saying that you need a letter from the institution yet the advisor has not been receptive.

Good luck!

You might get better responses in the "non-trad" forum because more of those guys have been through this. Most schools tend to be more lenient if you graduated a few years back and have a job. They will often substitute LORs from your supervisors or physicians you work with. You need to contact the individual schools that you are thinking of before you apply. These things may be considered on a case-by-case basis, so someone else's history may not help you all that much. Keep in mind, though, that your situation is not all that unusual. Plenty of people have been through this and you can do it too.

The problem with getting a dean's letter is that they're typically very generic: mine says "beachblonde attended our university, she graduated in good standing and had no academic or judicial action taken against her." So even if you can get some schools to accept the LOR (which would take calling them up and asking very nicely) the letter isn't really going to help you.

What I would do is go back to the Temple advisor (more recent) and say "look, I paid good money to this school for the services they provide, and while I understand you don't know me very well, by refusing to write me a letter you are keeping me out of medical school." Provide her with a copy of your transcript, CV, aacomas app, whatever, and tell her (politely) that part of her job as an advisor is to help out students and coughcough, you were a student and would like to collect on that now.

If that doesn't work, think really hard about a sci prof who might remember you. I know it isn't ideal, but unfortunately you're kinda in a sticky situation right now. You could also try dept heads at your respective schools, saying that you need a letter from the institution yet the advisor has not been receptive.

Good luck!

Thanks beachblonde! I fully understand your comment on paying tuition and advisor's job. She did tell me to contact FSU's advisor 1st since I did my undergrad there and if it didn't work to contact her. Although it would be a generic letter stating Temple's GPA/courses I took, it would at least fulfill the requirement for pre-med advisor I'm assuming, correct?

The letter from my dean will be good b/c she remembers me from 6 years ago as I was quite an active student. I spoke to PCOM's assistant director of admissions and explained my situation to her and she said the dean's letter would suffice, which is perfect b/c PCOM is my top choice!

Thanks for you help!

You might get better responses in the "non-trad" forum because more of those guys have been through this. Most schools tend to be more lenient if you graduated a few years back and have a job. They will often substitute LORs from your supervisors or physicians you work with. You need to contact the individual schools that you are thinking of before you apply. These things may be considered on a case-by-case basis, so someone else's history may not help you all that much. Keep in mind, though, that your situation is not all that unusual. Plenty of people have been through this and you can do it too.

Hey scpod, I noticed that you're at LECOM-Bradenton, is that correct? They are actually one of my top choices and I left a msg last friday regarding this LOR situation. Any chance you know if LECOM may accept it?

Okay, so I'm still waiting on AACOMAS being verified. Two out of my four letter writers have already mailed out all of their stuff to the schools I applied to but I'm pretty sure none of them even have my primary application yet...

DMU-COM, CCOM, ATSU-KCOM, OSU-COM, OU-COM, PNWU-COM, RVU-COM, KCUMB-COM

I visited DMU not long ago and they said it was okay to send the letter to them early, but I was wondering if it was okay with other schools too? I was under the impression if you didn't have a folder there with a primary app they would garbage your letter. Maybe I'm just imagining things? I'd hate to have them resend stuff but I suppose it wouldn't really be that big of a problem.

I'd just ask the schools what they'll do with them. Perhaps by calling, they'll be prepared to accept the letters, if they weren't already.

You could also start an Interfolio account, which eliminates the problem.

Do all schools use Interfolio (I hope so, because it seems so much easier.)?

Wow, thanks. You are extremely helpful. I have been trying to track down my final science letter and wonder how many schools require two. Currently, I have one strong science and several other strong non-science faculty. For the midwest, KCUMB only requires one. But I notice that RVU and DMU require two. Do schools ever overlook one science letter if it is replaced by another strong faculty?