*** 2008-2009 Secondary Application Thread ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
they just put the app out. i think we can assume they meant 2008 and will fix it sometime soon.

last year's was july 2007 to september 2008, so I think that's a pretty good assumption

Members don't see this ad.

I just realized that most of my secondary application thread links link back to the prompt page. *sigh*

Fixing this now.... slowly......

I just realized that most of my secondary application thread links link back to the prompt page. *sigh*

Fixing this now.... slowly......

shemarty, you're a blessing to this community.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my primary app on July 11 and since then I've been checking the AMCAS website everyday to check my status. It still reads, "submitted to AMCAS-ready for review." I had all of my transcripts into AMCAS in June and it shows that they have been received. Anyone submit their app in early July as well? Any idea when I'll get verified? I have already received e-mailed secondaries from Boston, Tufts, and Univ. of Chicago but I'm obviously waiting on a bunch more. Do most secondaries come out once you're verified?

I submitted my primary app on July 11 and since then I've been checking the AMCAS website everyday to check my status. It still reads, "submitted to AMCAS-ready for review." I had all of my transcripts into AMCAS in June and it shows that they have been received. Anyone submit their app in early July as well? Any idea when I'll get verified? I have already received e-mailed secondaries from Boston, Tufts, and Univ. of Chicago but I'm obviously waiting on a bunch more. Do most secondaries come out once you're verified?

I'd guess on Monday. Check out this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527396&page=19

Yeah, the secondaries will start rolling in once you are verified.

Has anybody called Drexel to find out when they expect to send out there stuff?

i was wondering the same thing...cuz we're already nearing august... i looked at last year's post however, and noticed that the thread for drexel didn't begin until august 7, 2007..so i assume we should get their secondary around that date.

Does any one know if I can send a packet of 7 letters to Northwestern from my school Letter Service? Or it has to be 3. Thank you!

Three. It says that specifically on their web site. They'll ask for more if you make it farther in the process

Three. It says that specifically on their web site. They'll ask for more if you make it farther in the process

Wait what??? My school does not let me send different packets of letters to different schools, and I have one master premed committee letter that summarizes them all. Will this be a problem?

EDIT: Never mind, committee letters are an exception! (went to the Northwestern secondary thread for this info)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
First, this thread is amazing, thanks for all the work. :thumbup:

But I was wondering what happened to the LOR posts? I see the .pdf file attached, so should I assume most schools haven't changed since then? Or is there another thread.

First, this thread is amazing, thanks for all the work. :thumbup:

But I was wondering what happened to the LOR posts? I see the .pdf file attached, so should I assume most schools haven't changed since then? Or is there another thread.

I got rid of it because of 1) the clutter and 2) because I didn't have this info from all the schools. The info is on the 1st page of the secondary application thread for most schools.

MODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sticky this already! :D

Does anyone have the link to Medical College of GA's secondary?

Ok...I'm not about to sort through this EPIC and very well designed thread but I have a simple question of sorts.

I'm still waiting to get secondaries from Wayne state, drexel, and Loyola.

I can see that wayne state already has a spot on the first page but not the other two. Are the Drex, and Loy secondaries just not released yet or something? I've been complete since late June so shouldn't I have heard from them by now?

Ok...I'm not about to sort through this EPIC and very well designed thread but I have a simple question of sorts.

I'm still waiting to get secondaries from Wayne state, drexel, and Loyola.

I can see that wayne state already has a spot on the first page but not the other two. Are the Drex, and Loy secondaries just not released yet or something? I've been complete since late June so shouldn't I have heard from them by now?

Nope, neither one is out. Loyola screens, so we're waiting on them to make up their minds, and Drexel is just...late. No worries!

Nope, neither one is out. Loyola screens, so we're waiting on them to make up their minds, and Drexel is just...late. No worries!

phew...big sigh of relief there.

What should I do about Wayne State though? I'm kinda paranoid that if they emailed me a username/password that it got in my GMail spam and got wiped out. :(

What should I do about Wayne State though? I'm kinda paranoid that if they emailed me a username/password that it got in my GMail spam and got wiped out. :(

Wayne state sends an email once you have been screened and nothing until then, there is no login etc.

You're going to have to wait. There is no username/password involved with Wayne State. They just send you an email with the questions in a Word document and tell you to mail everything to their office.

I'm trying to figure this one out, maybe someone can help?

I graduated spring of '07. I thought this made me a non-traditional applicant as I will have been out of school for 2 years when I (hopefully) begin medical school. Right now I'm working on a for Feinberg app and I think their definition is vague:
non-traditional=you completed undergraduate study at least 2 years ago
That's more or less their email reply to my question. At least 2 years ago from what date? Today's or August 2009?

Any advice? I really want to use a letter from my boss, but can only do so if I am "non-traditional".

Thanks!

I also applied EDP to IU back in June, and I am waiting to get my secondary. From the looks of the posts from previous years, we should be getting them this week.

Reading these threads has scared me a bit, because there are posts saying that many schools only accept a few of their EDP applicants. (You had to have minimum 3.6/30 to apply EDP to IU.)

Anybody want to make me feel better about this? :scared:

I'm trying to figure this one out, maybe someone can help?

I graduated spring of '07. I thought this made me a non-traditional applicant as I will have been out of school for 2 years when I (hopefully) begin medical school. Right now I'm working on a for Feinberg app and I think their definition is vague:
non-traditional=you completed undergraduate study at least 2 years ago
That's more or less their email reply to my question. At least 2 years ago from what date? Today's or August 2009?

Any advice? I really want to use a letter from my boss, but can only do so if I am "non-traditional".

Thanks!

I think it would mean 2 years ago from today, not when you matriculate into med school.

I too wish they'd allow a broader range of recommendations, i.e. not just from undergraduate faculty. I think it's important to get a point of view from teachers and from bosses. It's two completely different settings with different responsibilities. Oh well.

Does anyone have problem submitting the secondary? its been paid for but doesnt allow for me to get into the Interview scheduler? Already called them and they couldnt help... maybe its something I am doing wrong.... Anyone got a heads up?

Out of curiosity: on the AMCAS log-in page, there is red lettering claiming that they are entering in transcripts from yesterday. What does that mean, since they are clearly not verifying people who submitted yesterday?

I know that it'll be a couple more weeks until I'm verified, but why would they falsely advertise like that?

Dear Loyola,

Please send out secondaries.

Love,
Guy with just one secondary left

Out of curiosity: on the AMCAS log-in page, there is red lettering claiming that they are entering in transcripts from yesterday. What does that mean, since they are clearly not verifying people who submitted yesterday?

I know that it'll be a couple more weeks until I'm verified, but why would they falsely advertise like that?
Entering transcripts and verification are two totally different things.

I think it would mean 2 years ago from today, not when you matriculate into med school.

I too wish they'd allow a broader range of recommendations, i.e. not just from undergraduate faculty. I think it's important to get a point of view from teachers and from bosses. It's two completely different settings with different responsibilities. Oh well.

Thanks linguini. I think I'll give them a call to double check just in case! Perhaps my email wasn't clear enough to get a good response.

I'm sure I've missed some of the secondaries that have popped up in the last week - please check the front page and PM me with the prompts and links of the ones I'm missing.

Thanks, and good luck everybody. We're *almost* done!!!
Shemarty

Man, just a couple left and I crushed my primary essay goal: don't use the word "passion". Mission accomplished.

Anyone know when davis or loyola are coming out?

Dear Applicant:

Thank you for your interest in the University of California, School of Medicine at Davis. This is to acknowledge receipt of your application to our medical school.

The Admissions Committee has started reviewing applications and you will be notified of your status (e.g. whether and how to submit a secondary application) by e-mail as soon as a decision has been reached. Those decisions will be made beginning in mid-August through January 2009. The Admissions Committee asks that you not send any new information, transcripts, letters of recommendation, updates, or materials unless requested by them. If you plan to take the fall MCAT (August/September 2008), no decision will be made on your application until we have received those scores.

Office of Admissions
UC Davis School of Medicine
4610 X Street, Suite 1202
Sacramento, CA 95817

916.734-4800 (office)
916 734-4050 (fax)
[email protected]

U MN sent me something saying they got my application and a secondary is following soon,

Dear Applicant:

Thank you for your interest in the University of California, School of Medicine at Davis. This is to acknowledge receipt of your application to our medical school.

The Admissions Committee has started reviewing applications and you will be notified of your status (e.g. whether and how to submit a secondary application) by e-mail as soon as a decision has been reached. Those decisions will be made beginning in mid-August through January 2009. The Admissions Committee asks that you not send any new information, transcripts, letters of recommendation, updates, or materials unless requested by them. If you plan to take the fall MCAT (August/September 2008), no decision will be made on your application until we have received those scores.

Office of Admissions
UC Davis School of Medicine
4610 X Street, Suite 1202
Sacramento, CA 95817

916.734-4800 (office)
916 734-4050 (fax)
[email protected]

I got this weeks ago, does their status page do anything for you? Mine just says info not found.

I've had UMN's secondary (Minnesota- Twin cities right?) for around a week now. My browser's messing up but I'll post the prompts later.

I've had UMN's secondary (Minnesota- Twin cities right?) for around a week now. My browser's messing up but I'll post the prompts later.

Yes. That would be great!

Beyond what you have written in your AMCAS Personal Comments, discuss your early life experiences, family background and aspects of your home community that have led to your decision to become a physician. Limit responses to 250 words.

Describe a difficult life experience and how you dealt with it.

Please explain how you have demonstrated a commitment to diversity and/or working with diverse populations.

If you did not designate Minnesota as your state of legal residence on your AMCAS application, briefly describe any ties that you might have to this state.

Briefly describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated, please indicate what you have been doing since graduation, and what your plans are for the coming year.

Please explain any gaps in your education and/or work experiences since high school graduation that are not previously described in your application.

Should you not be accepted to medical school, the alternative career that you would pursue is:

What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee?

Sweet! Earlier I recieved an email saying that soon they would email the secondary... I can't wait.

seven87, you are the best. Thanks for the post!​

Does anyone know what the essays are yet, no one has made a seperate thread?

Thank you!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.