*** 2008-2009 Secondary Application Thread ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
for the essay for SUNY UPSTATE, are most applicants that aren't taking time off suppose to leave the essay blank?
reason asking is I am a rising senior so i still have 1 year before matriculation but i applied this cycle....you guys just list activities ur doing as a senior in undergrad?

Just received IU's secondary in the snail mail (no essays, just supplemental forms and app) + interview invite via email! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry the Albert Einstein website is down and I urgently need the address that the secondary application needs to be mailed to (i'm leaving the country in about 12 hours). I was wondering if anyone could help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry the Albert Einstein website is down and I urgently need the address that the secondary application needs to be mailed to (i'm leaving the country in about 12 hours). I was wondering if anyone could help me out?

Thanks in advance.
ALBERT EINSTEIN COLLEGE OF MEDICINE
OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS
BELFER BUILDING - ROOM 211
1300 MORRIS PARK AVENUE
BRONX, NY 10461
U.S.A.

good luck :luck:

ugh this process is draining
i hope they're forgiving on my minor typos :[

amen! my secondary essays are getting progressively more horrible :(

I keep adding on to previous essays, and I keep noticing random mistakes which are not glaringly obvious, but present and just cringe because I have sent that same essay to a few schools already...

I keep adding on to previous essays, and I keep noticing random mistakes which are not glaringly obvious, but present and just cringe because I have sent that same essay to a few schools already...
Anyone to deny my app for a few typos on their redonkulous secondary is a school too anal for me to go there.

i just want them to be done and over with....on my last one, finally! ... i dont want to even see my credit card bill :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, everytime I start thinking secondaries are really incredibly awful, just imagine how draining medical school/residency will be! This is the easy part.

Kind of puts things into perspective, at least for me.

Sweet! Earlier I recieved an email saying that soon they would email the secondary... I can't wait.

i got the verified email for twin cities about three days ago.. but i haven't gotten the email with the secondary . i'm confused, did i miss something ?

Well, everytime I start thinking secondaries are really incredibly awful, just imagine how draining medical school/residency will be! This is the easy part.

Kind of puts things into perspective, at least for me.

totally disagree, i can go days without much sleep studying science, but hours or writing I LOATH

totally disagree, i can go days without much sleep studying science, but hours or writing I LOATH

I hope you don't plan on doing any clinical research as a doctor then! :)

i got the verified email for twin cities about three days ago.. but i haven't gotten the email with the secondary . i'm confused, did i miss something ?

i got mine immediately following the first email. you could try calling?

i got mine immediately following the first email. you could try calling?

i just called the office. i guess they have to verify you, and then once they do that they have to screen you, and THEN they send you the secondary ? boo. i really want to turn this one in. :cool:

anyone applying to Stanford? I still haven't received my secondary

i just want them to be done and over with....on my last one, finally! ... i dont want to even see my credit card bill :/

Seriously......

A few weeks ago I was stressing out about how many secondaries I had piled up, now I'm stressing about if I'm ever getting an interview (since I know someone who got zero...scary) AND how many secondaries I STILL have piled up AND about why I haven't gotten secondaries from Loyola, OHSU, and UC Davis! :thumbdown: I think I need to either learn to be less neurotic or have to start dying my hair by the end of this year because I'd be going grey by then.

Seriously......

A few weeks ago I was stressing out about how many secondaries I had piled up, now I'm stressing about if I'm ever getting an interview (since I know someone who got zero...scary) AND how many secondaries I STILL have piled up AND about why I haven't gotten secondaries from Loyola, OHSU, and UC Davis! :thumbdown: I think I need to either learn to be less neurotic or have to start dying my hair by the end of this year because I'd be going grey by then.

I'm no expert but I don't think you should worry too much with your stats! But I understand the panic...that's pretty much a nightly event for me. I'm most worried about paying for all of this! I'm fresh out of college, living on my own, and my job pays me more in experience than in dollars. I guess it'll be ramen noodles for dinner for the next 10 years.

Phew.

I finally got around to updating the secondary application thread links on the front page. They should all be correct now!

I'm also going to expand out the names to spell out "California" and "Texas".

Please PM me if I'm missing schools. I've definitely lost track over the past week.

Hi guys,
Still in the application process...
Please let me know what you think:
many of the secondary application ask you to fill out all of your prereq work. I took AP Biology but I was also a Biology major. Is it better to put my AP credits as the prereq and under grade write TR or better to put 2 or 3 of my advanced Bio credits - such as molec, genetics, etc? I also have a C in my first semester orgo but an A in biochem, can I somehow incorporate that A into the prereq work page so it may offset my C? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!

PB
user_online.gif
progress.gif

i would put upper level bio. and for biochem and orgo.. i think you need to put orgo but maybe see if you can add biochem as well? put them all i mean.

Hi guys,
Still in the application process...
Please let me know what you think:
many of the secondary application ask you to fill out all of your prereq work. I took AP Biology but I was also a Biology major. Is it better to put my AP credits as the prereq and under grade write TR or better to put 2 or 3 of my advanced Bio credits - such as molec, genetics, etc? I also have a C in my first semester orgo but an A in biochem, can I somehow incorporate that A into the prereq work page so it may offset my C? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!

PB
user_online.gif
progress.gif

I usually put the classes where I got the best grades... unless they asked for specific classes...

I hope you don't plan on doing any clinical research as a doctor then! :)

Shoot good point my dreams just burst... years of writing here I come. Thanks for the reality check!

So, I am writing one of my secondary essays right now, and I keep finding myself referring back to my PS (literally in the essay). Is this good or bad? It is just stuff like this:

"As was shown in my PS, I have a great _______"

I am wondering if doing this one time is really bad, maybe it will make them go back and read the PS with the intentions that I had for it? I don't know, what do you guys think?

So, I am writing one of my secondary essays right now, and I keep finding myself referring back to my PS (literally in the essay). Is this good or bad? It is just stuff like this:

I am wondering if doing this one time is really bad, maybe it will make them go back and read the PS with the intentions that I had for it? I don't know, what do you guys think?

I don't think it's bad if you refer to your PS sparingly. I wouldn't waste precious secondary space just reiterating what you wrote in your PS because they already have that information. I think it's beneficial to use the secondary to show another side of yourself/experiences you didn't stress in the primary app. You don't want them to think you're a one-note candidate...too much repetition of what's in your PS might give them that vibe. Just my 2 cents.

I don't think it's bad if you refer to your PS sparingly. I wouldn't waste precious secondary space just reiterating what you wrote in your PS because they already have that information. I think it's beneficial to use the secondary to show another side of yourself/experiences you didn't stress in the primary app. You don't want them to think you're a one-note candidate...too much repetition of what's in your PS might give them that vibe. Just my 2 cents.

You answered my question perfectly and it is exactly what I thought. I used my personal statement to relay some anecdotes showing my qualities. I only plan to refer to it once, maybe twice in my secondaries. I will not be saying anything twice, just basically my PS shows that I have the desire and ability, this secondary shows what I bring to your school.

Thanks for your two cents. good luck to you

Just so you know - some schools only give the interviewers your secondary application. There's no guarantee that an interviewer will have your PS to reference. You might want to summarize (in a sentence or two) the point you made in your PS that you want to re-emphasize.

Also, if you do that, avoid abbreviating personal statement as PS. Sure, any students on the adcom would probably know what it means, but the faculty might not. ITs technically the "personal comments" section on AMCAS or something...

good points...definitely did not think about the interviewers not having my primary...thanks

AAAAAAAAAAAh! I am a stamp and an envelope lick away from never filling out another secondary again!!! (I mean, I hope...)

What will I do with myself when this is over??!!

you will celebrate with a nice bottle of wine for finishing the secondaries and then start anxiously waiting for those complete emails and status's. after you get those, you will slwoly start losing your head every time you check you email and see that there is nothing there for you. good luck

you will celebrate with a nice bottle of wine for finishing the secondaries and then start anxiously waiting for those complete emails and status's. after you get those, you will slwoly start losing your head every time you check you email and see that there is nothing there for you. good luck
And when you say one bottle, you mean... six.

Have there been any new schools that came out recently that are missing on the front page?

PM me the URL to the secondary and the URL to the 2008-2009 XXX Secondary Application Thread, if it exists. If not, I'll make it.

Have there been any new schools that came out recently that are missing on the front page?

PM me the URL to the secondary and the URL to the 2008-2009 XXX Secondary Application Thread, if it exists. If not, I'll make it.

We are happy to announce that we have opened the 2009 Emory Supplemental Application website to our first round of applicants. Thank you for your patience!

https://emorymed.emory.edu/admissions

Questions exactly the same as in previous years.

Good luck!

I tried to convince myself that I'd crank out all my secondary essays in May, using the prompts from last year. But, after spending months and months on my PS and finally submitting that yesterday, I've lost some momentum.

:(

I'm going to try writing again after taking a short breather.

Completely responding to an old post, but I know this feeling. I thought I'd get a head start but that hasn't been happening. That's ok, my AmCAS got verified and I'm finally free to do my secondaries. YAY

oops, oughta post this on the actual mainpage

I have a question, is it bad to leave optional essay spaces empty???

Opinions will differ. But the general consensus is... if you have nothing good or meaningful to say, then you are better off leaving it blank.

Opinions will differ. But the general consensus is... if you have nothing good or meaningful to say, then you are better off leaving it blank.

Do you thik one should try to put something about how they think they could contribute to the diversity there or is that pushing it since it doesn't ask that specifically??

Sure you can do that. Just try not to sound too cliche. I'm sure you wouldn't be the only one to do that either.

I remember my advisor telling me that I can use the optional space to talk about why I would be a good fit in the school and what not.

Good luck!

Terribly sorry if this has already been answered, but,

How long after submitting the AMCAS should I expect secondary applications? I've only gotten one so far. Will all schools I apply to send me secondaries?

Also, I haven't yet received my MCAT scores, but it's getting late in the year. Should I send in my secondaries now or wait the two weeks? When I get my scores, will I be able to send them in even after my secondary app is submitted?

Eric

Last edited:
Terribly sorry if this has already been answered, but,

How long after submitting the AMCAS should I expect secondary applications? I've only gotten one so far. Will all schools I apply to send me secondaries?

Also, I haven't yet received my MCAT scores, but it's getting late in the year. Should I send in my secondaries now or wait the two weeks? When I get my scores, will I be able to send them in even after my secondary app is submitted?

Eric

It can take 4-6 weeks. I think mine took at least 5 weeks to get verified. Once it gets verified you will definitely get a lot of them coming through. You should start sending them in as soon as possible so that they are just waiting for scores. i'm going to start working on mine tomorrow after I speak with professors about letters.

Status
Not open for further replies.