*** 2008-2009 Secondary Application Thread ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So should we make an official...2008-2009 Rejection Thread?

Do we really want to have that much depression in a single place? I guess we could - anyone know if it was done last year?

I could start, since I've already been rejected from two schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Do we really want to have that much depression in a single place? I guess we could - anyone know if it was done last year?

I could start, since I've already been rejected from two schools.
Yeah it was done last year...and I guess it helps ppl waiting out.

Members don't see this ad :)
can we get a sticky for this thread so that its always at the top? i hate scrolling through stuff to find it.

I'm still waiting for my last three secondaries: UCLA-Drew, Drexel, and South Carolina. Any word from them yet? :( I e-mailed Drexel earlier and they told me it takes 2 weeks after they receive the AMCAS primary to send out the secondary. It's been 2.5 weeks. I don't think South Carolina even has an e-mail address!

I'm still waiting for my last three secondaries: UCLA-Drew, Drexel, and South Carolina. Any word from them yet? :( I e-mailed Drexel earlier and they told me it takes 2 weeks after they receive the AMCAS primary to send out the secondary. It's been 2.5 weeks. I don't think South Carolina even has an e-mail address!

I think we're all waiting for Drexel. No clue on the others.

Great episode of ATHF with the bannana btw.

There are a lot of links missing from the 1st page, as people only posted prompts but not the URL.

Can people check that 1st post and PM me the missing info so that I can update it? Also let me know if I've missed any schools. :)

is there a list of schools somewhere that send out automatic secondaries?

Anybody know when Loyola is planning on sending their secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
The University of South Carolina just informed me that they receive verified AMCAS applications through standard mail rather than electronically. The person said it would be 4-6 weeks for them to process it after the AAMC sends it. Then they will send an e-mail saying how to fill out the secondary. It will be another 2 weeks for me I suppose.

still no tufts or northwestern for me.. but my last LOR is in! and my premed committee said commitee packets should be uploaded to virtual evals within the next 2 weeks.

still no tufts or northwestern for me.. but my last LOR is in! and my premed committee said commitee packets should be uploaded to virtual evals within the next 2 weeks.

Same here....hopefully they're just being slow...

I applied MSTP, and just got UCLA's MSTP secondary.

I don't know how similar it will be to the MD secondary, but if you're curious, the questions are:

Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life?

What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?

What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaninful?

What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important?

What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor.

Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.

List major paid work experience during (or since) college. Give dates, description, approximate hours worked (list the most recent first).

If there is any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application, then check the box labeled 'Hardship' and briefly explain why you are indicating a hardship. Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.

I applied MSTP, and just got UCLA's MSTP secondary.

I don't know how similar it will be to the MD secondary, but if you're curious, the questions are:

Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life?

What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?

What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaninful?

What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important?

What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor.

Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.

List major paid work experience during (or since) college. Give dates, description, approximate hours worked (list the most recent first).

If there is any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application, then check the box labeled 'Hardship' and briefly explain why you are indicating a hardship. Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.

This looks familiar - if I remember correctly, it looks similar to the regular MD app of 2008.

finally got northwestern's... due date is august 8th. i so don't want to do ths secondary.. this process has made me so lazy

*sigh* I was hoping to get five secondaries done today. Guess I was a little too ambitious.

*sigh* I was hoping to get five secondaries done today. Guess I was a little too ambitious.
did you get any done? if so, you are one better than me :) i have NYU floating over my head and its a top choice for me. i would sell my soul for it.

did you get any done? if so, you are one better than me :) i have NYU floating over my head and its a top choice for me. i would sell my soul for it.

Haha.. me too, and me too. I was supposed to finish two secondaries today (NYU and Brown)... I'll be more productive tomorrow. Hopefully.

Hi all,

For those of you who've looked at the UCONN secondary or have already submitted it, how did you approach the first question "describe your motivation to become a physician"? I'm asking because clearly I spent a lot of time in my PS talking about this. Is it standard to talk about a different experience or to talk more about what you've already talked about? I'm really confused.

Also, in the UCONN secondary it says to submit the secondary/recommendations within 3 weeks from receiving the secondary. My issue is that I have the MCAT coming up and I wanted to get that out of the way before I started the secondaries...that might be about 4-5 weeks from now. When it says you need to submit within 3 weeks of receiving the secondary does that strictly mean what it says? (I know it sounds like a silly question) but the deadline will not have passed within 3 weeks for their secondary so I'm confused.

Thanks!!

Haha.. me too, and me too. I was supposed to finish two secondaries today (NYU and Brown)... I'll be more productive tomorrow. Hopefully.

I'm rooting for you guys. Brown is a little painful, but NYU wasn't too bad (I thought), especially if you really want to go there. Y'all can get it done today! :luck:

I submitted two yesterday, about to finish a third (I hope)... then it's just Case Western and Chicago, the latter of which I have been agonizing over for weeks. :(

I'm rooting for you guys. Brown is a little painful, but NYU wasn't too bad (I thought), especially if you really want to go there. Y'all can get it done today! :luck:

I submitted two yesterday, about to finish a third (I hope)... then it's just Case Western and Chicago, the latter of which I have been agonizing over for weeks. :(

Thanks for the encouragement!! Good luck with Case Western and Chicago!! You're more brave than me for attempting Chicago's secondary!

For the schools with online primaries that are accessible...does anyone know if we can submit before we've been verified or formerly invited to complete the secondary?

Also, can we send LORs before we've received secondaries? I only ask because my UNI is fairly slow at getting them out once we've requested them to be sent, so i want to put in the request ASAP. But there's always the possibility that they will be sent out before i've received many of the secondaries or even been verified.

does anybody know the secondary prompt for University of Tennessee- Memphis med school?

anyone have any info on rush's secondary? like when it's going to be sent out??

I did it! I finished all five! 16/22 received and submitted.
(Just had to pat myself on the back a little.)
Nothing pending at the moment... except LORs, but that's in the hands of the committee.

Boy does that feel good.

I did it! I finished all five! 16/22 received and submitted.
(Just had to pat myself on the back a little.)
Nothing pending at the moment... except LORs, but that's in the hands of the committee.

Boy does that feel good.

Congratulations!!:thumbup:

I recieved a secondary from Wisconsin-Madison today, but my verbal score of 6 was below there minimum (7). Should I even bother with this school? Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Does Wisconsin screen? I recieved a secondary from them today, but my verbal score of 6 was below there minimum (7). Should I even bother with this school? Thanks guys!

University of Wisconsin screens.
Wiscon Medic College does not.

Just wanted to say that I got Pitt's secondary on friday. Hopefully I can have it out by wednesday. I just dislike the moral question, but oh well. Game on!!!

I received a secondary from Wisconsin-Madison today, but my verbal score of 6 was below there minimum (7). Should I even bother with this school? Thanks guys!

I've already received what I have been referring to as the "screen warning" e-mail (the likes of IU, UW, Carver—wassup w/ the Midwest schools hating so?) that explains UW's cut-offs (2.8 GPA & raw MCAT#'s 7,7,7).

Given your 6 on a section--even though that's lower than many--they could've sent you the secondary for some other positive reason.

Are you sure you got the official invite? If yes, I--being a person that has not seen that invite--would go for completing it (and I probably wouldn't even ask them why they sent it beforehand, if you have the courage and time to just git ‘er done and send it off—maybe when you're done w/ other apps), b/c who knows what screening reeeeally means, afterall. It may mean many things.

Perhaps you rizocked the PS, and they want a piece of you badly, warming an interview seat. Just my thoughts. I honestly don't know how strict screens school are with regard to their cut-offs as they advertise them, but this may be a………hmmm…….sign? :)

Last edited:
im not sure if this has been asked already, but im not going back through 2000+ posts. when writing the essays concerning why I want to go to a specific school, should I refer to the school by its name or treat it like a person, say "you". for example, "At Creighton School of Medicine I will be able to practice ..." or "At your school I will be able to practice ..."

I feel the first sounds more professional, but less personal
user_online.gif
progress.gif

I got the secondaries from both schools in SC... probably doing it in waves

im not sure if this has been asked already, but im not going back through 2000+ posts. when writing the essays concerning why I want to go to a specific school, should I refer to the school by its name or treat it like a person, say "you". for example, "At Creighton School of Medicine I will be able to practice ..." or "At your school I will be able to practice ..."

I feel the first sounds more professional, but less personal
user_online.gif
progress.gif

Go for the professional... and there are also search tools for threads.

I've already received what I have been referring to as the "screen warning" e-mail (the likes of IU, UW, Carver—wassup w/ the Midwest schools hating so?) that explains UW's cut-offs (2.8 GPA & raw MCAT#'s 7,7,7).

Given your 6 on a section--even though that's lower than many--they could’ve sent you the secondary for some other positive reason.

Are you sure you got the official invite? If yes, I--being a person that has not seen that invite--would go for completing it (and I probably wouldn’t even ask them why they sent it beforehand, if you have the courage and time to just git ‘er done and send it off—maybe when you’re done w/ other apps), b/c who knows what screening reeeeally means, afterall. It may mean many things.

Perhaps you rizocked the PS, and they want a piece of you badly, warming an interview seat. Just my thoughts. I honestly don’t know how strict screens school are with regard to their cut-offs as they advertise them, but this may be a………hmmm…….sign? :)

I did get the official invite from the school. Yikes! Adding Wisconsin back onto my list! Woot! Woot! Thanks buppa!

Phew.

I just finished editing the main index to include links to each school's secondary application thread.

As you can see, there are a few URLs missing (the ones that lead to the school's secondary application website.)

Please go check out the front page and PM me the missing URLs.

Thanks!
Shemarty

Phew.

I just finished editing the main index to include links to each school's secondary application thread.

As you can see, there are a few URLs missing (the ones that lead to the school's secondary application website.)

Please go check out the front page and PM me the missing URLs.

Thanks!
Shemarty

2008-2009 University of Tennessee (UTHSC) Secondary Application Thread

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=546840

Is there a thread for Michigan State secondary?

Status
Not open for further replies.