2008-2009 UMass Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it's a hopeful thought. :)

I highly recommend you check out this book. I was a neuroscience major in undergrad and the old dogma is definitely that past childhood things are set. Neuroplasticity is fascinating, and it's the wave of the future. It's not that changes are completely unlimited, but the advancements ARE hugely exciting.

My impression from my limited experience is that neuroplasticity beyond early childhood is limited but exists. I am 31, and luckily my brain has made enormous strides in the last 10 years :) It seems to be an exciting field, especially when you think that maybe we just don't know quite yet medically the most effective way to alter a mature brain.

BTW, I was delayed in an airport by myself for 3 hours and bought the book "How Doctors Think" cause I remembered that a umass applicant last year who was accepted 9 days after her interview highly recommended it for interview prep. I am not a huge reader, but I LOVE this book - really a page turner. If you haven't read it, I think it has some really helpful perspectives for the interview.

Members don't see this ad.

My impression from my limited experience is that neuroplasticity beyond early childhood is limited but exists. I am 31, and luckily my brain has made enormous strides in the last 10 years :) It seems to be an exciting field, especially when you think that maybe we just don't know quite yet medically the most effective way to alter a mature brain.

BTW, I was delayed in an airport by myself for 3 hours and bought the book "How Doctors Think" cause I remembered that a umass applicant last year who was accepted 9 days after her interview highly recommended it for interview prep. I am not a huge reader, but I LOVE this book - really a page turner. If you haven't read it, I think it has some really helpful perspectives for the interview.

I think we are far from knowing how to alter the mature brain medically, unfortunately...but there are some really cool studies about partially repairing the CNS in adult rats after lesioning the spinal cord.

I haven't read that book yet but it's definitely on my list. The dean of admissions at BU also recommended that book to a friend of mine before interviewing. I would also recommend "Better" by Atul Gawande (he works at the Brigham by the way!) He talks about some real movers and shakers in the medical world; only downside is that it makes you feel kind of worthless in comparison! I've also heard his first book "Complications" is stellar but I haven't read that one yet either. Unfortunately I'm distracted with a pile of non-science books for now!

I think we are far from knowing how to alter the mature brain medically, unfortunately...but there are some really cool studies about partially repairing the CNS in adult rats after lesioning the spinal cord.

I haven't read that book yet but it's definitely on my list. The dean of admissions at BU also recommended that book to a friend of mine before interviewing. I would also recommend "Better" by Atul Gawande (he works at the Brigham by the way!) He talks about some real movers and shakers in the medical world; only downside is that it makes you feel kind of worthless in comparison! I've also heard his first book "Complications" is stellar but I haven't read that one yet either. Unfortunately I'm distracted with a pile of non-science books for now!

I was actually thinking more along the lines of cognitive behavioral therapy, biofeedback stuff and some of the other treatments involved in teaching the brain to let go of traumatic experiences. Not so much the repairs after debilitating injuries. Maybe our other writer has something to say?

Hey, I am going to check out "complications," if I ever make it off this website.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else having trouble accessing the application? I was able to get in fine yesterday, but today it keeps saying that my peoplesoft session has expired and prompts me to log in again... only to say that its expired. So frustrating. I'm on a mac (at work-- definitely not by choice).

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the application? I was able to get in fine yesterday, but today it keeps saying that my peoplesoft session has expired and prompts me to log in again... only to say that its expired. So frustrating. I'm on a mac (at work-- definitely not by choice).

Hey there -

I just read your post on the abusive relationships thread and loved it (couldn't believe some of those other ones!)

Anyway, my impression is that Peoplesoft can be unpredictable at times. I would call the admissions office because they can tell you directly if their system is tempororaly having trouble.

I can get at it fine. But I'm on a PC (also at work, I feel your pain).

I can get at it fine. But I'm on a PC (also at work, I feel your pain).

Seems to be a mac issue. I switched to pc and its fine. Question on the mass residency stuff though. If you graduated from a Mass high school, do you need to fill out those 7 pages of information? Also, technically, I filed my taxes in another state for 2007, but I was still a dependent of my parents who live in MA. Are they going to nullify 23 years of mass residency for that?

Seems to be a mac issue. I switched to pc and its fine. Question on the mass residency stuff though. If you graduated from a Mass high school, do you need to fill out those 7 pages of information? Also, technically, I filed my taxes in another state for 2007, but I was still a dependent of my parents who live in MA. Are they going to nullify 23 years of mass residency for that?

I graduated from a Mass high school and still submitted the other, obnoxious 7 pages of residency verification. However, I did see someone's post earlier that suggested you don't need to if you went to a Mass high school, but I didn't find this information on the website. You might want to call/email admissions about it before filling it out, especially because of the tax thing (I'm not sure how strict they are about it!)

There doesn't seem to be a thread for 2008-2009 UMass interviews, but I was wondering if there are any people out there from this app cycle or ones past that could offer any tips/feedback on how the interview went. (my main question is...are they one-on-one?)

http://more.studentdoctor.net/interviewlist.php?school=112 Input from people who have had interviews at UMass. Looks like it's one-on-one.

Yep, one on one. Two interviewers, each was about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. Plus group sessions to hear from the deans, finaid (yay state school tuition!), Q&A lunch with 1st and 2nd year students, tour of the med school - pretty standard interview day, in my experience.

My biggest advice is to try not to freak out about your interviews. You'll do better if you're feeling relaxed and comfortable. Easier said than done, I know, so if you have a choice schedule one of your non-top choices as your first interview. (That didn't happen for me - UMass was my first, and I was nervous.) If you do end up with your first choice first, just do your best to roll with it.

Good luck! If things go right, a year from now you'll be stressing about your first Anatomy exam instead of your first interview... and on that note, I'm going back to studying!

Any interview invites yet besides the big cat? I think I have been complete for 2 weeks now.

Last edited:
Congrats to anybody who has an interview invite from this or any other school so far!

Remember to post them on the interview invite threads :) It's helpful for other SDN members, not only this year but also in the future!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any interview invites yet besides the big cat? I think I have been complete for 2 weeks now.

I got an interview invite today :D So happy. Booked me for 9/16 which is so soon!

Just reading through a few of the previous posts and I figured I would chip in with a couple of tips

Residency Validation: I called the office and they said that you DO have to complete all seven pages even if you completed high school in MA. If you did not complete high school in MA, then you have to also submit your actual tax returns (as opposed to just list where you filed them)

Submitting the application: Other posts already pretty much explained this, but read on if you don't want to be kicking yourself later... The application is grayed out once it is complete and they receive your check. HOWEVER, after not seeing my application grayed out or hearing anything back after about a week after sending my check, I called the office;

They told me that they had not received my committee recommendation letter, which I said sounded strange to me because this should have been one of the first things the office received. Long story short - she looked around and eventually found the letter - it had in fact been sent. I received an interview offer in my email about 1/2 hr later for 10/1

Had I not called.. I could have been waiting nervously for months with no word... Moral of the story: call to confirm that your application is complete!!!

Anyway, on to the interview forums. Goodluck everyone with your applications/interviews

Hi,there -

I got Complications and love it. I like how it incorporates all the nitty gritty doctoring details into its discussion of the larger issues. Thanks! Good luck on interviews today.

Just saw these book comments...

Actually we aren't at all. It's a common assumption based on the historical stance in the neuroscience field, but there is so much progress in so many areas of neuroplasticity there's no question the adult brain can be remodeled to a surprising extent. As just one example, the first case in the book was a woman whose vestibular system was destroyed by gentamicin. Through the use of an accelerometer/gyroscope "helmet" worn on the head and a feedback device on the tongue her sense of balance was restored. At first the effects did not last long after she removed the helmet, but over time the effect lasted longer and longer, and eventually she didn't need the helmet at all. The book also discusses stroke paralysis recovery, learning disability recovery, phantom limb pain, etc.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of cognitive behavioral therapy, biofeedback stuff and some of the other treatments involved in teaching the brain to let go of traumatic experiences. Not so much the repairs after debilitating injuries. Maybe our other writer has something to say?

There is a section of the book that discusses this - I found it fascinating, especially the discussion of how Freud's work was essentially an early primer on the application of neuroplastic therapeutic techniques. EMDR is a biofeedback based therapy that is really interesting too.

Oh, and yes, both Better and Complications were excellent. I found Better in particular interesting because the issues he's discussing go much further than just medicine.

Just saw these book comments...

Actually we aren't at all. It's a common assumption based on the historical stance in the neuroscience field, but there is so much progress in so many areas of neuroplasticity there's no question the adult brain can be remodeled to a surprising extent. As just one example, the first case in the book was a woman whose vestibular system was destroyed by gentamicin. Through the use of an accelerometer/gyroscope "helmet" worn on the head and a feedback device on the tongue her sense of balance was restored. At first the effects did not last long after she removed the helmet, but over time the effect lasted longer and longer, and eventually she didn't need the helmet at all. The book also discusses stroke paralysis recovery, learning disability recovery, phantom limb pain, etc.

That book sounds interesting. I'll make a point to read it.

Maybe I wasn't clear on what I meant by neuroplasticity. I meant the regeneration, remigration, and rewiring of neurons. As for the gentamicin and the vestibular system, that certainly does sound like a medical treatment to repair the vestibular system. But as for more molecular proof of neuroplasticity, the only animals who can regenerate auditory/vestibular pathways after aminoglycoside damage (e.g. gent) are birds. It is certainly possible for the CNS to do some rewiring, such as the formation of new memories or compensating for an amputated limb. But as for regeneration of neurons, examples in mammals are pretty slim.

That book sounds interesting. I'll make a point to read it.

Maybe I wasn't clear on what I meant by neuroplasticity. I meant the regeneration, remigration, and rewiring of neurons. As for the gentamicin and the vestibular system, that certainly does sound like a medical treatment to repair the vestibular system. But as for more molecular proof of neuroplasticity, the only animals who can regenerate auditory/vestibular pathways after aminoglycoside damage (e.g. gent) are birds. It is certainly possible for the CNS to do some rewiring, such as the formation of new memories or compensating for an amputated limb. But as for regeneration of neurons, examples in mammals are pretty slim.

That is true, there is little evidence of neuronal body regeneration and migration, but the rewiring required for the types of repair discussed in the book is extensive, so it seems that regeneration and migration aren't the limiting factors they were thought to be. In any case, it's an exciting field, I'm so psyched to be getting closer to the cusp. :D

Where's my interview invite?

Did anyone else get an interview invite for 10.8?

Did anyone else get an interview invite for 10.8?

Congrats! Nothing yet for me, but I'm hopeful as I was complete in July!

-BP

I have an interview at UMass in October but no car. Does anyone know the best way to get there by public transportation? I was thinking of taking the commuter rail to Worcester, but I have no idea where to go from there...

I have an interview at UMass in October but no car. Does anyone know the best way to get there by public transportation? I was thinking of taking the commuter rail to Worcester, but I have no idea where to go from there...

Hi, I would really consider giving yourself a break and rent a car or do zip-car.

Can someone explain to me the significance of October 15th?

Thanks!

Hi, I would really consider giving yourself a break and rent a car or do zip-car.

Can someone explain to me the significance of October 15th?

Thanks!

10/15 is the first day that schools (not EDP) can give acceptances. But keep in mind that UMass is notoriously slow with giving out acceptances.

10/15 is the first day that schools (not EDP) can give acceptances. But keep in mind that UMass is notoriously slow with giving out acceptances.

Trust me - I know - this is the second time around for me! :rolleyes:

Thank you for the info. I applied really late last year so October 15th wasn't even on my radar.

Good luck.

Congrats JKA. The only reason I keep coming back and checking this thread is that I'm looking forward to the day you get the good news.

Congrats JKA. The only reason I keep coming back and checking this thread is that I'm looking forward to the day you get the good news.

That's so sweet. Thank you!

Trust me - I know - this is the second time around for me! :rolleyes:

Thank you for the info. I applied really late last year so October 15th wasn't even on my radar.

Good luck.

Yeah I'd love to hear from them by 10/15 but I'm not going to get my hopes up! Good luck to you too!

I was just complete yesterday (9/25) and got my interview invite today for 10/15! Anyone else interviewing that day?

Hi -

Since umass didn't accept me early decision, I guess I should think about applying elsewhere.

I am looking for schools within 2 hours driving time of Western MA (where my step-children are located.)

So far I have Tufts, BU, Harvard, Dartmouth, Yale, and Brown, but I think there may be more.

Does anyone know of others I am missing?

Thanks!

Hi -

Since umass didn't accept me early decision, I guess I should think about applying elsewhere.

I am looking for schools within 2 hours driving time of Western MA (where my step-children are located.)

So far I have Tufts, BU, Harvard, Dartmouth, Yale, and Brown, but I think there may be more.

Thanks!

I think you've covered most of them. Are there any schools in the albany NY area? I'm not familiar. It's ~2 hours (maybe a little more) from Worcester. If you are willing to apply DO as well, there is an osteopathic school in Maine (not sure on the name) that is probably about 2 hours away from Worcester as well.

I think you've covered most of them. Are there any schools in the albany NY area? I'm not familiar. It's ~2 hours (maybe a little more) from Worcester. If you are willing to apply DO as well, there is an osteopathic school in Maine (not sure on the name) that is probably about 2 hours away from Worcester as well.

Thanks!

Vermont and UConn are around 2 hrs as well:oops:

Vermont and UConn are around 2 hrs as well:oops:

I think UVM is more like 3-4 hours than 2. UConn is very close. They don't take a lot of out-of-state applicants, but I think they tend to like nontrads.

The osteopathic school in Southern Maine is UNECOM (University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine).

New York Medical College, in Valhalla, NY, is probably close enough to your radius to be worth considering.

And Albany does have a med school - Albany Medical College.

(Can you tell I've done this myself?)

Hey Guys,

Had my interview today, and I was very impressed with the school and attached hospital (they have a helipad!). The atmosphere in the information sessions and interviews was very nice and calm. (keeping fingers crossed that I hear back soon).

Good luck everyone!

I think UVM is more like 3-4 hours than 2. UConn is very close. They don't take a lot of out-of-state applicants, but I think they tend to like nontrads.

The osteopathic school in Southern Maine is UNECOM (University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine).

New York Medical College, in Valhalla, NY, is probably close enough to your radius to be worth considering.

And Albany does have a med school - Albany Medical College.

(Can you tell I've done this myself?)

Very good. Thank you!

Hi -

Thanks!

I'm confused- One post you said you have your interview oct 8th, the next post you got rejected for early decision?

I'm confused- One post you said you have your interview oct 8th, the next post you got rejected for early decision?

Hi, Premed86 -

So nice to hear from you!

Early decisions are made by 10.1. My interview is 10.8. I actually didn't realize for sure that I wasn't getting a 'yes' for early decision until I got my interview invite. A letter came several days later. So now I am in the regular application pool. I just hope it ends before the summer.

You need to change your username, it no longer fits:)

Hi, Premed86 -

So nice to hear from you!

Early decisions are made by 10.1. My interview is 10.8. I actually didn't realize for sure that I wasn't getting a 'yes' for early decision until I got my interview invite. A letter came several days later. So now I am in the regular application pool. I just hope it ends before the summer.

Oh, so if you apply ED and don't get in, they just bump you into the regular decision pool? I learn something new every day. Too bad we all have clerkships in Boston for the next 2 weeks-I was hoping to run into you on your interview day! Anyway, like fatheroblivion, I pretty much only check pre-allo to see how you're doing. Best of luck on your interview- I have a feeling this year is your year!

You need to change your username, it no longer fits:)

Haha, yea I think I never imagined I would visit this site after finishing the application cycle...how very,very delusional of me.

All the suuport feels really good actually. Thank you.

Yes, it is too bad you all will be gone. It would be kind of interesting to bump into people and have to guess how they match to their username.

WHEN I get in, I do look very much forward to meeting each of you.

glad to see that “how doctors think” was an enjoyable read for you - i hope it gets to be a page turner for me, as it's moving rather slowly at the moment (started last night) in the beginning (if you start with the introduction). In fact, as I closed the book for my reading session yesterday, I honestly thought, “hmmm..is this just gonna tell me to be more aware of my patients’ past ailments and to make sure I think outside the box?”

As a major sidenote…has anyone gotten a hold of ted nugent's "ted, white and blue" yet?

I was just at umass yesterday. I love umass, even more now:love:

does anyone know how many interviews Umass gives out? I looked everywhere but cant find anything

does anyone know how many interviews Umass gives out? I looked everywhere but cant find anything

Assuming you are IS your chances of getting one are around 60%. Which is why I am depressed as hell not to have gotten one yet, but that's beside the point I suppose.

USNWR for IS: 729 applied, 451 interviewed, 177 were accepted, 100 enrolled.

Assuming you are IS your chances of getting one are around 60%. Which is why I am depressed as hell not to have gotten one yet, but that's beside the point I suppose.

USNWR for IS: 729 applied, 451 interviewed, 177 were accepted, 100 enrolled.

DOn't be too depressed because I think they are slow to send out invites sometimes just as they are to give final decisions. I know the girl who I talked about in a previous post waited many months for an interview and then got in 12 days after her interview!

DOn't be too depressed because I think they are slow to send out invites sometimes just as they are to give final decisions. I know the girl who I talked about in a previous post waited many months for an interview and then got in 12 days after her interview!

I was complete early, much earlier than some other people who have gotten invites, so of course it's back to the whole "they've looked at me and set me aside, what does that mean?!" thing, but you are right that I should be patient. OM. (practicing zen)

I broke down and called today to ask some questions about the process. They said that they do EDP first, so they've only just begun reviewing non-EDP, with interviews only starting to go out last week. We know that's not strictly true since there are several non-EDPs who got interviews quite a while ago, but they all seem to either have super high stats or have done the UMass summer research program (which I think basically means you're a shoe-in for the interview), so maybe they are the limited exceptions for early review. Anyway, it gives me hope since she said things are picking up now and I was complete quite early.

Thanks for listening to my whining. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.