2008-2009 UMass Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I broke down and called today to ask some questions about the process. They said that they do EDP first, so they've only just begun reviewing non-EDP, with interviews only starting to go out last week. We know that's not strictly true since there are several non-EDPs who got interviews quite a while ago, but they all seem to either have super high stats or have done the UMass summer research program (which I think basically means you're a shoe-in for the interview), so maybe they are the limited exceptions for early review. Anyway, it gives me hope since she said things are picking up now and I was complete quite early.

Thanks for listening to my whining. :D

I think you are fine. I don't have super-high stats but applied EDP, and I applied last year, so they probably interviewed me early because they reviewed me for EDP and felt bad when they didn't take me.

BTW, I traveled from Woburn, MA, and I budgeted 1.6 hours for the trip. It ended up taking me 2 hours with traffic. I was about 0.5 hours late but luckily there is a 45 minute buffer time before the first interview. Thank goodness, the admin staff were very understanding.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are fine. I don't have super-high stats but applied EDP, and I applied last year, so they probably interviewed me early because they reviewed me for EDP and felt bad when they didn't take me.

BTW, I traveled from Woburn, MA, and I budgeted 1.6 hours for the trip. It ended up taking me 2 hours with traffic. I was about 0.5 hours late but luckily there is a 45 minute buffer time before the first interview. Thank goodness, the admin staff were very understanding.

Ah, that makes sense. I bet you have a very good chance though since you've proved you're committed.

I'm planning on an hour from Boston, but I'll leave extra time too. Better than driving to CT, VT or NY!

Anybody else fantasizing more than normal today?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody else fantasizing more than normal today?

I would be...if I didn't perforate my ear drum last night :(. The pain is kind of occupying my mind. Maybe that's a good thing or the wait for 10/15 would be killing me.

I remember Brenda telling us that we could check our status every Friday. So, do you know if they will be giving any acceptances out tomorrow?

Can anyone tell me approximately what time the interview day ends if you have morning interviews? Thanks.

Can anyone tell me approximately what time the interview day ends if you have morning interviews? Thanks.

I had afternoon interviews but I'm pretty sure the morning people were done around 2:30-3 (after the tour).

I would be...if I didn't perforate my ear drum last night :(. The pain is kind of occupying my mind. Maybe that's a good thing or the wait for 10/15 would be killing me.

I remember Brenda telling us that we could check our status every Friday. So, do you know if they will be giving any acceptances out tomorrow?

Ouch! How did you do that? I think I did the same thing once when I flew with a terrible cold, and something really painful happened on descent. Then I only had about 10% of my hearing for a few days, but it did come back.

I was just wondering about the Friday thing. Who knows? I'd like to think that tomorrow would be an exception to the rule.

Ouch! How did you do that? I think I did the same thing once when I flew with a terrible cold, and something really painful happened on descent. Then I only had about 10% of my hearing for a few days, but it did come back.

I was just wondering about the Friday thing. Who knows? I'd like to think that tomorrow would be an exception to the rule.

I've had a cold/allergies for about 2.5 months now - that's just asking for an ear infection. It will heal itself...it's still a pain (literallyl). Luckily I work in an otolaryngology office so I'm just going to get it checked out by my boss at lunch!

I think they might make an exception and give out some acceptances tomorrow. I'm not going to hold my breath though since they give out so few at a time!

I have an interview 12/17...2 months??? Seems like a long time compared to others who have already interview in this thread. Anyways, any advice for the interview??? Good luck to all!!

I have an interview 12/17...2 months??? Seems like a long time compared to others who have already interview in this thread. Anyways, any advice for the interview??? Good luck to all!!

I think the single most important thing you can do is prepare to discuss the state of national and MA healthcare and related issues. I know they love these questions. Good luck!

Does anyone know if they send admissions decisions by e-mail?

I have been having trouble signing in to Peoplesoft, so I wont be able to check my admission status there...

Anyone know the chances of getting in if you receive an interview (and are IS)?

well, they interview between 400 and 450 people for 114 spots (which may increase to 125 this year depending on a few factors)

sooo, about 1/4 based on these numbers, but we must assume that some % of students who are accepted decline said acceptance, so I would say in the end it is a bit better than 1/4.

Members don't see this ad :)
well, they interview between 400 and 450 people for 114 spots (which may increase to 125 this year depending on a few factors)

sooo, about 1/4 based on these numbers, but we must assume that some % of students who are accepted decline said acceptance, so I would say in the end it is a bit better than 1/4.

They interview 60% of instate applicants, and last year accepted 177 (40% of interviewed). Pretty good odds.

Is anyone familiar with the grading system at UMass? I can't seem to find details regarding it on their website.

Thank ya!

-BP

Is anyone familiar with the grading system at UMass? I can't seem to find details regarding it on their website.

Thank ya!

-BP

Pass/Fail/Honors for the first two years. I don't know offhand what happens in the clinical years.

I believe the clinical years are A/B/C/D/F, but I might be wrong. Any SDNers interviewing at UMass tomorrow?

Just wanted to remind you guys not to stress about interview invites (easier said than done, I know). I was complete in sept, heard back in oct, interviewed in dec, waitlisted in april, and accepted in may. Many of my classmates waited 7-8 months to hear back. Meanwhile, my friend was complete the same time as me, didn't hear a peep til march, and then finally invited to the last day of interviews- the acceptance came about 10 days later. Moral of the story: when you interview is not an indication of your chances. So, enjoy your interview when it comes, and put Umass on the backburner til the spring. In a year you guys will be enjoying your awesome clerkships and dreading head and neck...

Just wanted to remind you guys not to stress about interview invites (easier said than done, I know). I was complete in sept, heard back in oct, interviewed in dec, waitlisted in april, and accepted in may. Many of my classmates waited 7-8 months to hear back. Meanwhile, my friend was complete the same time as me, didn't hear a peep til march, and then finally invited to the last day of interviews- the acceptance came about 10 days later. Moral of the story: when you interview is not an indication of your chances. So, enjoy your interview when it comes, and put Umass on the backburner til the spring. In a year you guys will be enjoying your awesome clerkships and dreading head and neck...
Yeah, yeah, of course this doesn't apply to me cause I am going to be accepted THIS Friday (I already pretty much gave up on today.) Ha! Ha!

No, seriously, premed86, thanks for the support.

I got accepted to UMass last Friday 10/17! :D:D:D So I guess that means the flood gates are open. Good luck to you still waiting!

I got accepted to UMass last Friday 10/17! :D:D:D So I guess that means the flood gates are open. Good luck to you still waiting!

Wow - they must have really liked you, to have given you an acceptance so early. Congratulations!

Congratulations!! I'm pretty jealous.... :love: Hope you celebrated this weekend!

-BP

For all those who have already interviewed at UMass, can you help me with directions!! I have an interview there tomorrow and I'm not sure how to get to the Remillard Pavilion.

Once you go down Lake Ave, it just says the campus will be on the left... how do you get to the building?

Thanks in advance!!!

For all those who have already interviewed at UMass, can you help me with directions!! I have an interview there tomorrow and I'm not sure how to get to the Remillard Pavilion.

Once you go down Lake Ave, it just says the campus will be on the left... how do you get to the building?

Thanks in advance!!!

I think the Pavillion is just the main entrance into the hospital - it is pretty hard to miss. Just give yourself some extra time to navigate once you get to campus.

Congrats Linguini. That is so awesome! Is umass your first choice?

Congrats Linguini. That is so awesome! Is umass your first choice?

Thanks everyone! I feel very lucky to get such an early acceptance from such a great school!

jka, I'm hesitant to say that UMass is my first choice as I have many other schools to go visit. But I was really impressed with everyone I met and what I saw on interview day.

Good luck to you all! :luck:

what do you take a tour of specifically while at umass for an interview? how long does it take?

i'd just like to know what i'm in for if i (fingers crossed) get an invite. i became complete only yesterday due to retaking the MCAT in september.

thanks!!!:)

what do you take a tour of specifically while at umass for an interview? how long does it take?

i'd just like to know what i'm in for if i (fingers crossed) get an invite. i became complete only yesterday due to retaking the MCAT in september.

thanks!!!:)

They showed us the main medical building, the anatomy lab, the simulation center, the trauma bay, and the helicopter! I could definitely be forgetting something..

They showed us the main medical building, the anatomy lab, the simulation center, the trauma bay, and the helicopter! I could definitely be forgetting something..

you said that you had afternoon interviews... i also have afternoon ones and was told to be there at 11am. about what time were you done? (trying to plan dinner with the grandparents afterwards)

congrats, btw!

you said that you had afternoon interviews... i also have afternoon ones and was told to be there at 11am. about what time were you done? (trying to plan dinner with the grandparents afterwards)

congrats, btw!

Thanks! I was done by 4.

so, you get there around 11:00am and are out by 4:00pm? if the interview itself is ~1 hour, how long is the tour? or is there a lot of waiting around?

thanks, linguini, and congratulations!! :clap:

Is anyone else dying of anticipation with UMass?
I interviewed at the very end of september, and I would trade a kidney to know if I got in (JK of course, unless you are an admissions officer, then we will talk)

Is anyone else dying of anticipation with UMass?
I interviewed at the very end of september, and I would trade a kidney to know if I got in (JK of course, unless you are an admissions officer, then we will talk)

When did they say you would hear? I interviewed there yesterday and they were very vague and said 3 weeks - May. Kind of a range there...

so, you get there around 11:00am and are out by 4:00pm? if the interview itself is ~1 hour, how long is the tour? or is there a lot of waiting around?

thanks, linguini, and congratulations!! :clap:

You have 2 interviews. Mine were ~30-40 minutes. The tour was probably an hour. Then there is a general info session, discussion with some 2nd years, and lunch. There wasn't too much down time, which I appreciated.

When did they say you would hear? I interviewed there yesterday and they were very vague and said 3 weeks - May. Kind of a range there...

My sense from last year is that if they really love you, they'll accept you around 3 weeks after your interview. If you don't hear from them by four weeks, then you most likely won't hear from them until the application cycle starts winding down at the end of April, although this isn't always true (some people hear after 2 months, for example.)

So, 3 -4 weeks from now, I would obsessively check my e-mail and status page on Friday (this is when they said they would notify people,) give or take a few weeks on either side. If you don't hear from them by then, then try to focus on other things cause you most likely won't hear for awhile.:luck:

How long does it take to get the secondary...still have not gotten mine :(

How long does it take to get the secondary...still have not gotten mine :(

I think it can take up to a few weeks. Call them if you are not sure. I know they don't screen, so don't worry about that. Also, the questions are posted at the beginning of this thread.:luck:

I think it can take up to a few weeks. Call them if you are not sure. I know they don't screen, so don't worry about that. Also, the questions are posted at the beginning of this thread.:luck:

Just got it. I am not a Mass resident so I am doing MD/PhD - according to the E-mail there is no application fee...and too many directions! lol

You have 2 interviews. Mine were ~30-40 minutes. The tour was probably an hour. Then there is a general info session, discussion with some 2nd years, and lunch. There wasn't too much down time, which I appreciated.

just curious, linguini, but have you thought at all about how you're going to make a decision between tufts and umass when it comes time?

just curious, linguini, but have you thought at all about how you're going to make a decision between tufts and umass when it comes time?

Are you sure you want UMass to know that you surf the internet all day when your bosses don't come in?

slacker

Hey, wait a second, you don't think THEY actually read this stuff?

Ouch, another painful Friday. Most people get the Monday blues; I get the Friday blues:(

slacker[/quote]

Tell me about it! :( I have a feeling it is going to be a long wait to hear anything from this school...

Ouch, another painful Friday. Most people get the Monday blues; I get the Friday blues:(

slacker
[/quote]

haha. he was kidding. he likes to tease me a lot. not like he has anything over me... watching streaming puppy cam when he's supposed to be learning biochem.

i only interviewed last week. so i'm not expecting to hear for a few more weeks at least. getting antsy though.

p.s. what does this face represent? :scared: is he nervous? scared? about to explode?

I interviewed at the end of september, and still no word...man, UMass sure takes its time...

I interviewed at the end of september, and still no word...man, UMass sure takes its time...

It really does.

I interviewed mid-September last year, got accepted in mid-February, and was still on the earlier side.

UMass will take a lucky few quickly after their interviews and another batch sometime in the winter, but it seems like most people don't hear until the spring. After that there's still the waitlist, with a few people getting accepted right up until the beginning of classes in August.

So cross your fingers for quick news, but be prepared for a looong wait!

I think money will be a big factor. Umass and Tufts kind of represent opposite ends of the spectrum in that regard. But it's not the only factor for me, or that'd be an easy decision to make! I still need to do more research on the schools before I opt for one over the other.

It really does.

I interviewed mid-September last year, got accepted in mid-February, and was still on the earlier side.

UMass will take a lucky few quickly after their interviews and another batch sometime in the winter, but it seems like most people don't hear until the spring. After that there's still the waitlist, with a few people getting accepted right up until the beginning of classes in August.

So cross your fingers for quick news, but be prepared for a looong wait!
Thanks for the reality check. It actually helps.

I have a question for all of you:

I got a 32Q on my one MCAT but think I can do better since I pretty much uncharacteristically bombed the verbal. I thought a good plan of action would be to study for the January MCAT and send them my improved scores if I haven't been accepted by then. Is this allowed, because I did not indicate on my AMCAS that I would be taking the MCAT again.... (I was hoping I wouldn't have to.)??

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.