~2008-2009~"What Are My Chances/Where Should I Apply/What Should I Do" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a 3.94 and a 32, and NYCOM did not grant me an interview. I applied in Sept.

Members don't see this ad.

holy crap, what happened there? are you from ny?

Nope, not from NY, but i'm an east coaster. I think NYCOM gets a ton of applications and doesn't have a very efficient admission system. I'm not saying I deserve an interview or anything, but I think NYCOM just gets overwheelmed each year, and if you apply this late you might be overlooked. But who knows. I didn't get interviews at New Jersey or Ohio either.

Oh well, I got my number one pick, anyway. So I'm happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of the DO schools I would like to apply to state 8 semester/12 quarter units each of Biology, Inorganic Chemistry, and Organic Chemistry.

So far, I have completed 15 quarter units of Inorganic Chemistry and 6 quarter units of Organic Chemistry.

The Organic Chemistry and General Biology courses at my school are 6 units each.

Does this mean I should only need to take one more Organic Chemistry course and two General Biology courses to fulfill the 12 quarter unit requirement for each subject?

I will probably go in tomorrow to speak to someone about this and/or call some of the DO schools to see what they think, but I just wanted to find out what people thought of this before I do so.

Thanks,
Copper

Generally it's the same as MD schools:

1 year with labs of biology
1 year with labs of physics
1 year with labs of gen chem
1 year with labs of organic chem

Assume there are also additional science, math, English and humanities requirements that vary by school.

Thank you for the info.

I'm not worried about taking the full year of each subject, but it helps to know because I am in the process of planning my school schedule.

Take care and good luck in med school!

Hello,

I have been seriously considering applying to the University of New England's College of Osteopathic Medicine, and I am curious if I could get some feedback on my qualifications. For starters, I have a BA in theology from St. Joeseph's College of Maine. My GPA was around 2.7 (not that stellar, I know). I have since graduated from a 2 year college-level radiologic technology program (x-ray technologist training, for those who don't know) with almost straight A's, and recieved an award for clinical excellence. I have been working as a radiologic technologist for about 2 years now, currently as a CT technologist. I am more than aware I will need to take some online courses to supplement the gaps in my science backround. UNECOM boasts a student body that seems very diverse in its academic achievements; one individual I noted was accepted with a BA in landscape architecture. The school seems to promote diversity in education and experience over more traditional pre-med applicants, which I believe in more in line with the holistic philosophy of Osteopathy. This stands to reason that a DO school would better suite my backround as opposed to a traditional MD school.

Based on the experiences of everyone here, do you think I'd stand a chance of getting accepted? I'm not exactly looking for the one right answer, or someone to solve all my problems, just some advice from people who've "been there, done that", so to speak.

Thank you in advance!
-Nick

The school seems to promote diversity in education and experience over more traditional pre-med applicants... do you think I'd stand a chance of getting accepted
With cumulative overall and science GPAs over 3.0, and an MCAT of at least 27, sure.

...which I believe in more in line with the holistic philosophy of Osteopathy. This stands to reason that a DO school would better suite my backround as opposed to a traditional MD school.
That "philosophy" is marketing. Don't be fooled. The only practical difference between DO and MD is that DOs are trained in manipulation. MDs don't suck, on average, with patient care, which is effectively what the "philosophy" alleges. 60% of applicants to both DO and MD schools get rejected.

Best of luck to you.

P.S. There's a "G" in background.

Right. I've worked with (and been patients of) both DOs and MDs and can see little (if any) difference in practice. What I meant by their "philosophy" was that they seem to make a point of looking at the whole applicant, as opposed to just grades.

As for the missing "g", that's what happens when you watch The Universe Season 2 while typing. :p

Thanks for the prompt response!

Hello,

I have been seriously considering applying to the University of New England's College of Osteopathic Medicine, and I am curious if I could get some feedback on my qualifications. For starters, I have a BA in theology from St. Joeseph's College of Maine. My GPA was around 2.7 (not that stellar, I know). I have since graduated from a 2 year college-level radiologic technology program (x-ray technologist training, for those who don't know) with almost straight A's, and recieved an award for clinical excellence. I have been working as a radiologic technologist for about 2 years now, currently as a CT technologist. I am more than aware I will need to take some online courses to supplement the gaps in my science backround. UNECOM boasts a student body that seems very diverse in its academic achievements; one individual I noted was accepted with a BA in landscape architecture. The school seems to promote diversity in education and experience over more traditional pre-med applicants, which I believe in more in line with the holistic philosophy of Osteopathy. This stands to reason that a DO school would better suite my backround as opposed to a traditional MD school.

Based on the experiences of everyone here, do you think I'd stand a chance of getting accepted? I'm not exactly looking for the one right answer, or someone to solve all my problems, just some advice from people who've "been there, done that", so to speak.

Thank you in advance!
-Nick

Is it really that as a "non-trad" you fit more in line with the "holistic philosophy of Osteopathy" or is it that your grades just dont match up with allopathic standards? I hate it when pre-meds use this excuse. There is no "holistic philosophy." You want holistic philosophy, try ND school.

Is it really that as a "non-trad" you fit more in line with the "holistic philosophy of Osteopathy" or is it that your grades just dont match up with allopathic standards? I hate it when pre-meds use this excuse. There is no "holistic philosophy." You want holistic philosophy, try ND school.

Uh, no. Perhaps I should clarify. Since I am not a pre-med, and most of the accepted students at UNE tend to have diverse backrounds, I thought it would be a more appropriate fit. Nothing more. I'm not giving any excuse, because there's nothing *to* excuse. I am simply trying to find my way and figure out what is the best path for me.

Alright guys, I am in a bit of a pickle. I know my GPA isn't as high as it should be and hell, I do not even know how to find my cum GPA due to I left Marquette for one year to go to UW-Eau Claire and came back. My freshman year I got 3.0s both semesters went to Eau Claire and got a 3.9 and 3.7 with getting A's in both semesters of o-chem. I came back to Marquette my Junior year and struggled with physics. I earned a CD first semester and an F the second. My junior year I had a C in anatomy and B in my retake of Physics 1.

Now. When I was up in Eau Claire I was not working at all. BUt due to the price of Marquette's tuition I work 25hrs a week. In addition this last Fall 08 semester, my Grandfather was in the ICU for 2 weeks, falling right in time with midterms. Thankfully my grandfather recovered and is doing fine, but having the POA it was a very stressful semester. I feel very competive in that I was part of a pilot program in the ER at the Level 2 trauma center in Milwaukee which provides better patient care regarding possible drug complications from home medications, have steller LOR of both MD and DO. I guess, I am scared that I do not want to make excuses for doing poorly, but if I was not working as much as I have to, I would be way better academically.

There are very few science C's. A few AB and a couple B's. Even if I do not get into MD/DO, I have every intention of a post-bacc to get my GPA up. I am taking the MCAT in April and have consistenly been scoring a 34.

What do you guys think? Am I screwed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright guys, I am in a bit of a pickle. I know my GPA isn't as high as it should be and hell, I do not even know how to find my cum GPA due to I left Marquette for one year to go to UW-Eau Claire and came back. My freshman year I got 3.0s both semesters went to Eau Claire and got a 3.9 and 3.7 with getting A's in both semesters of o-chem. I came back to Marquette my Junior year and struggled with physics. I earned a CD first semester and an F the second. My junior year I had a C in anatomy and B in my retake of Physics 1.

Now. When I was up in Eau Claire I was not working at all. BUt due to the price of Marquette's tuition I work 25hrs a week. In addition this last Fall 08 semester, my Grandfather was in the ICU for 2 weeks, falling right in time with midterms. Thankfully my grandfather recovered and is doing fine, but having the POA it was a very stressful semester. I feel very competive in that I was part of a pilot program in the ER at the Level 2 trauma center in Milwaukee which provides better patient care regarding possible drug complications from home medications, have steller LOR of both MD and DO. I guess, I am scared that I do not want to make excuses for doing poorly, but if I was not working as much as I have to, I would be way better academically.

There are very few science C's. A few AB and a couple B's. Even if I do not get into MD/DO, I have every intention of a post-bacc to get my GPA up. I am taking the MCAT in April and have consistenly been scoring a 34.

What do you guys think? Am I screwed?

Well, now we have a bit of a bio. If you can come back and list out your GPAs/ECs/clinical experience, it will be easier for us to help asses your app. :)

Well, now we have a bit of a bio. If you can come back and list out your GPAs/ECs/clinical experience, it will be easier for us to help asses your app. :)

I have a 3.114 sGPA with a cGPA of 3.325which will be higher because i still have to retake physics 2 because I failed it the first time. Secondly, I helped in the development of a program to be implemented nationwide regarding home medications and people who come to the ER and are admitted. My ECs include ER voluntering before I got a job in one. Secondly I coached grade school football and assisted a program director at day care for older adults with special needs. I have LOR from a DO neurosurgeon. I am also a resident of WA, well as of Friday. What can anyone tell me about the WICA program for DO schools?

I have a 3.114 sGPA with a cGPA of 3.325which will be higher because i still have to retake physics 2 because I failed it the first time. Secondly, I helped in the development of a program to be implemented nationwide regarding home medications and people who come to the ER and are admitted. My ECs include ER voluntering before I got a job in one. Secondly I coached grade school football and assisted a program director at day care for older adults with special needs. I have LOR from a DO neurosurgeon. I am also a resident of WA, well as of Friday. What can anyone tell me about the WICA program for DO schools?

A 34, 3.3-3.4, good ECs, and LORs from 2 sci profs, 1 non-sci, and a DO = good app!

Ace the rest of your classes and try to get that sciGPA up as much as possible before you apply.

As for the WICA program, try searching around in the class threads that participate in it, and ask around. Maybe someone will comment here, but many/most of us aren't that familiar with it. If you find someone who is currently a student in the program, try sending a friendly Private Message (PM) asking if they'll give you more info.

:luck:

I am new to what is absoultely necessary or recommended for DO schools. I always strove to apply to MD schools so the biggest difference seems to be the DO letter of rec. My GPA is around a 3.9, with 27M MCAT, strong letters of recommendation, but none from any DO. I am currently working in a medical office, so there is a lot of exposure with an MD. So, would it be advantegous for me to get a DO letter?

I am new to what is absoultely necessary or recommended for DO schools. I always strove to apply to MD schools so the biggest difference seems to be the DO letter of rec. My GPA is around a 3.9, with 27M MCAT, strong letters of recommendation, but none from any DO. I am currently working in a medical office, so there is a lot of exposure with an MD. So, would it be advantegous for me to get a DO letter?

A DO letter will allow you to apply to several more schools than you would be able to if you didn't have one. However, with a good app, the schools that only "strongly recommend it" (rather than "require" it) won't give you grief. But it is a good thing to shadow a DO. That'll help you answer the question "Why DO?" in secondary apps and during interviews.

Check this link for LOR requirements.

hey guys, Im just wondering. Do people with a 3.0 undergrade have a chance in the future to get accepted in a DO program. I know mostlikely they have to do a graduate program, but...is there really a chance. Please share ur opinion, stories, or program rec.

hey guys, Im just wondering. Do people with a 3.0 undergrade have a chance in the future to get accepted in a DO program. I know mostlikely they have to do a graduate program, but...is there really a chance. Please share ur opinion, stories, or program rec.
My undergrad gpa was below a 3.0, I took classes a few years after graduation to pull it up. Also DO schools will count the latest grade of a course, if you retake it. So if you have some D's or F's retaking the class and getting an A is an easy way to pull up your gpa. I'm accepted at several programs (check out my mdapps), there is hope!

With a 3.0 (assuming your not rounding from, say, a 2.8 which might be a bit of a different story), but with a high MCAT (31+) you have a good shot at almost all the DO schools, however, that "shot" means that you still have to have ALL your other **** together (LORs, essays, interview responses, etc.). But sub 3.3 is not the kiss of death for DO as it is for MD.

so you mean that DO school will only take the most recent grade? SO this means that it is possible to redo all my science classes and get a 4.0 in my prereq?

Here is another problem that i have to face. I have mostly pharmacy experiences (also a pharm tech) and i am a prepharm. Good news is that i also have clinical experiences and very close to an MD which I have shadowed for 40 hours.

If you guys were to guesstimate, how long would my journey have to be and do you guys know if a MA of biomedical science would help?

Here is another problem that i have to face. I have mostly pharmacy experiences (also a pharm tech) and i am a prepharm.

what makes you want to become a Pre-D.O. now? By reading your original post, seems like the grades are your main concern... Did you give up to become a pharmacist only because of your poor grades?

My undergrad gpa was below a 3.0, I took classes a few years after graduation to pull it up. Also DO schools will count the latest grade of a course, if you retake it. So if you have some D's or F's retaking the class and getting an A is an easy way to pull up your gpa. I'm accepted at several programs (check out my mdapps), there is hope!

Congrats on your acceptance! :thumbup: Did you retake your classes at a junior college?

Don't berate him on his reasons for simply inquiring into the process.

How long it will take is dependent on how many classes you would retake. Keep in mind that its probably not worth it to retake classes you previously had a B in. But rather you could take classes such as Genetics or Biochem and if you do well in those it would boost your science GPA as well as show that you can handle more difficult courses. Now if your looking at retaking say 6 classes it might be faster for you to do an SMP and essentially this would take a year and whatever your GPA is that year becomes what schools will focus their attention on.

Perhaps someone who is in an SMP can comment more specifically on how schools look at students in their SMP program?

I've read his previous posts about planning to use P1 (pharm student) title as a stepping stone for MD schools. Who knows if he plans to use D.O. has a stepping stone for MD?

sorry if i sounded too harsh, my apologies.

DOs and MDs are doctors. It would not be reasonable to go through a DO program so i can redo almost everything in a MD program. I changed my mind because of my work experience. I realize that pharmacy is not for me and sometimes it's degrading how other professionals look at a pharm D. We have to go through 4 years of schooling and stress as much as any other professionals but the respect that we get is close to none (in my experience). Also, we are limited in what we can do. All we can do with a 4 year degree is to listen to other professional's directions and even if we catch a mistake, report it to a doctor, If the doctor say he's right, then he's right. I thought I could grow out of it and accept my self as being a pharmacist but up until now, it's still in the back of my head that i should be a doctor...well...if i have a chance.

oh by the way, what's SMP?

Last edited:
thansk a lot chocolate bear! i havent shadowed any dos yet but i am planning to for next round. i feel i applied way too late to be a competitive candidate.

Hey! :)

Your MCAT is above average. Nice work.

Your GPA may be different for AACOMAS than it is for AMCAS. The term "BCPM" doesn't work for DO schools, since they don't count Math as "science," and they add a bunch of courses that don't fall under BCPM that will fall into the sciGPA category. AACOMAS also replaces retaken course grades rather than averaging like AMCAS. See my posts here for more info.

Your ECs/experiences look very good and will give you lots to talk about.

My only question is if you've shadowed any physicians. Some schools want a LOR from a doc, and some of those want it from a DO doc, in particular. See the link in my signature for more info about this. Shadowing a DO will make it much easier to answer the common secondary question, "Why DO?" That being said, plenty of people get into schools without such experience or such a letter. However, it's getting later in the season, and I'd encourage you to keep more doors open than closed at this point.

thansk a lot chocolate bear! i havent shadowed any dos yet but i am planning to for next round. i feel i applied way too late to be a competitive candidate.

It is getting late in the season, but you still have a chance, if you get your materials in before deadlines. If you have a grand or so that you'd rather risk losing than waiting a year, I'd say go for it--can't hurt to try!

If you just want to wait a few months and be more than confident about your chances for next year, and save money between now and the expensive beast that is interview season, that would be wise, too.

Best of luck, and I'm sure we'll see you around here more and more. :D

Hey all,

Could you guys give me some suggestions as to what I should do?
I've a GPA of about 3.1 after graduating from undergrad about five years ago. I've completed all of my prereqs. I've a few C's and A's/A-'s but the majority of my grades have been B's. I'm going to retake my C's. I've also found the opportunity to do lab research at a biotech.

Do you think I should retake the B's as well? If not, what should I do? Furthermore, would it be more beneficial to do that research (how well do DO schools look at that?) or to get more clinical experience?

Hey all,

Could you guys give me some suggestions as to what I should do?
I've a GPA of about 3.1 after graduating from undergrad about five years ago. I've completed all of my prereqs. I've a few C's and A's/A-'s but the majority of my grades have been B's. I'm going to retake my C's. I've also found the opportunity to do lab research at a biotech.

Do you think I should retake the B's as well? If not, what should I do? Furthermore, would it be more beneficial to do that research (how well do DO schools look at that?) or to get more clinical experience?

Definitely do not retake the Bs. Its not necessary. One could even argue that its not necessary to reteake the Cs, if you only have a few. Have you taken the MCAT yet? A GPA of 3.1 is below the average for DO schools (3.45), but it doesnt mean all hope is lost. If you do really well on your MCAT (28+) and you apply early in the cycle then you should be successful. How much clinical experience do you have? If not much, I'd say try to get as much as you can. Unless you know you definitely want to go into research, its not something that everyone doctor is going to have to do. The same can not be said for clinical experience. Dealing with people is a huge part of the job, and you should know if you enjoy that type of work. For this samem reason, ADCOMS love to see applicants with clinical expereince. Have you shadowed an MD? DO? Volunteerig?

I've got 200+ hours of hospital volunteering and probably 50 hours of shadowing MD/DOs. The research position is nice because it's part time (allowing me to retake classes) and paid.

I haven't taken the MCAT yet because I thought I should spend a year or two bringing my GPA up to a 3.3-3.4 beforehand. I've also been out of college for half a decade and really need science classes as a refresher.

I really need to know if doing research is a significant asset to my application because I would be taking a pay cut doing it.

Last edited:
I've got 200+ hours of hospital volunteering and probably 50 hours of shadowing MD/DOs. The research position is nice because it's part time (allowing me to retake classes) and paid.

I haven't taken the MCAT yet because I thought I should spend a year or two bringing my GPA up to a 3.3-3.4 beforehand. I've also been out of college for half a decade and really need science classes as a refresher.

I really need to know if doing research is a significant asset to my application because I would be taking a pay cut doing it.

I mean, research is a good addition, but its not like "OMG this applicant has done research. Accepted." A lot of people do research and the bottom line is if you think it is something that you will enjoy, then do it. Adcoms care more about your expereince than what you have done to pad your resume, You know? If you think you will enjoy the research, then do it. If it doesnt sound very interesting, then dont. Will you be able to talk about your experience in an interview? Thats what matters.

3.4 GPA. 29 MCAT. Lotta emt hours and hospital time but only 2 days shadowing. Rejection from vcom and waitlist at umdnj and lecom-brad. I'm getting worried because it's feeling late in the cycle and I have no acceptance.

I have a few more interviews coming up but I'm worried that I don't interview well(nerves). How should I feel right now? Any advice?

Last edited:
3.4 GPA. 29 MCAT. Lotta emt hours and hospital time but only 2 days shadowing. Rejection from vcom and waitlist at umdnj and lecom-brad. I'm getting worried because it's feeling late in the cycle and I have no acceptance.

I have a few more interviews coming up but I'm worried that I don't interview well(nerves). How should I feel right now? Any advice?

How many more interviews and where are these interviews?

what's your science GPA?

when you apply? i.e. submit primary, secondary

Science GPA is around a 3.2. Primary was sent out in August and secondaries varied from November to late December (not long after getting them).

I think you have a good shot at touro, is it NY or CA or Nevada?

Why did you not apply to NOVA or LECOM-erie?

Good luck interviewing. Just relax and be yourself.

Touro NY and CA. I've heard they're rather selective during interviews (maybe I'm mistaken).

I'm still waiting on nova, but I didn't apply to Erie. I wasn't interested in the area.

You have 3 GIANT problems:

1. You need to decide between medicine and podiatry. Many folks use pod as a backup to medicine, so perhaps that's your reasoning. Still, though, shadow some docs in both fields and figure things out. Pod is a great path for a lot of people, and many would much rather focus on the feet in their practice of medicine.

2. You have a serious flaw in taking in new information and spitting it out for tests. Chemistry and Biology have given you serious problems. These need to be addressed now, or you will not be able to enter or succeed in med school. Perhaps it's the way you take notes or pay attention. Perhaps it's the way you memorize. Maybe you have an attention or learning or language issue. It might be a matter of motivation/drive. I really don't know, but it's keeping you from performing at a level of a future med student, and now is the time to address it. Med school will be so much more demanding than undergrad, and your difficulties will multiply!!

3. You assume you'll make a 26+ on a test you've never taken. Do not be an arrogant pre med and think you can kill the MCAT. It's unlike anything you've taken. Plus, you made all C's in Chem and did barely better in Bio. I know you made A's in Physics, but that's about 25% of the tested material. Master the material, then master the test-taking skills and strategies. As a Latino, I'm not sure where your English proficiency skills lie, but Verbal Reasoning on the MCAT can be the hardest section for many science majors, and even more difficult if English isn't your first language.

Address your problems now, and don't be discouraged if it takes a while to become prepared to enter med school. Many of us have had to take years to get in, but most find it worth it, in the end, and are better physicians because of our struggles.

Best of luck!

Thanks Chocolate Bear,

I have taken the time to think well what I want to do in the fututre. I completely agree with you. During this time I tried to adress all this 3 giant problems.

1. I decided to go for Ostheopathic Medicine. I shadowed both podiatrist and D.O. I concluded that D.O. IS DEFINATELY MY FUTURE.
2. I have ask my friends and pre-med advisor to help me find my learning problems and they conclude that it was part of a lacked of motivation and languague issues.
3. You are right I'm a arrogant pre-med. I first need to work my ass and then see how I do on the practice exams to see if I will do well on the MCAT.

As you might remember I repeat and delete 4 classes. I would like to know your opinion. I would like to reeat and delete my 2 inorganic chem classes in which I got C's on. I now that this time I can definately get A's or B's. During the last year and a half I have shown an upward trend. G.P.A.'s 3.0, 3.2 and 3.75. If I retake this two classes I will have a total of 6 repeat and delete, but will bring my science g.p.a. to a 3.2 and cumm. to a 3.3 by the time I apply (Summer 2010). Please let me know what do you think, and any other person that would like to give their opinion please also post it. Thank you so much.

Touro NY and CA. I've heard they're rather selective during interviews (maybe I'm mistaken).

I'm still waiting on nova, but I didn't apply to Erie. I wasn't interested in the area.

If you like Florida and interested in PBL you should also try LECOM-Bradenton.

Hey Guys, here is my situation:

31P MCAT, 3.56 Overall, 3.29 Science ( 3.9 last 2.5 years of college, with all A's in upper division science courses)

I have volunteered as a medical assistant at a homeless clinic for 4 years, worked as a phleb for 3 years, student gov't in college, alcohol and drug awareness program mentor(1.5 years), Big Brother for Big Brothers Big Sisters(Big Brother of the Year 2008 for my city-chosen among 1700 others), two undergrad research projects, 2 years post-grad research (pubs to come this spring), Volunteer healthcare for the homeless research project (ongoing-pub/poster presentation this spring), Organized a fundraiser (2K for breast cancer) and various others......I'll spare you!!!

Would it be ridiculous to still this late? I'm particularly interested in Kirksville and Philli

I recently shadowed a DO, and was very impressed. Did some research and I really like the philosophy. Currently I have had 2 MD interviews with decisions pending, and 7 MD schools to hear from.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hey everyone, I have a quick question:

As it stands, I'm an athletic training undergrad student and right now I have a 3.56 sci and 3.51 non-sci. I'm taking the MCAT in April. However, while I was a senior in high school (four years ago!) I was able to take college level classes and get credit for them. These were some introductory level bio and literature classes. Well, being my senior year I could care less and was happy with B's and C's. So, should I address this in my PS for the upcoming cycle, or just ignore it and let the adcoms look it over? I've left it off my app for now, but it will surely drop my overall GPA's when I put it on. Any suggestions?

if it was a college level course it has to be reported on your aacomas primary
definitely add it, and be prepared to answer if/when asked during interviews
and come up with something better than "i was a senior in high school and didn't care"
also by "college level courses" do you mean AP courses? or actual college courses?
AP course grades from high school are not reported on your primary

Would it be ridiculous to still this late? I'm particularly interested in Kirksville and Philli

honestly, it is probably too late for PCOM
they get the most apps out of any osteopathic school
my stats are on par with yours and i was complete at PCOM in late october and got an interview for feb...
i'm not saying that nobody in PCOM's history has applied in jan and got it, but just letting you know my experience
i'm not sure about kirksville
you should definitely look into more than 2 schools

Hey thanks for the reply. The classes weren't AP, they were classes that were given while I was in high school, but they were transferable to a local community college. I didn't really try because I was going to my under grad to study athletic training and really didn't see the importance of studying biology (didn't need it for my major and I wasn't considering a path to med school then...)and took the classes as a way to fill some lib arts requirements without hurting my GPA at my current university. I have however, taken bio classes at a higher level and received straight A's (after I decided on a path to med school...)

Sorry to be so long winded, just figured I'd give the whole picture. I'm thinking I'll address this in my PS, but just wanted to know an opinion or two on the subject. Thanks

Ok, was that class a Biology 101 type class? Those 100 level bio classes are required to apply to med schools and they wont accept a grade below C in those classes as passing. So, you should contact the schools you plan on applying to and see if they would accept that grade. Unless you retook that bio 101 class already and did better.