~2008-2009~"What Are My Chances/Where Should I Apply/What Should I Do" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I want to apply to a Special Masters Program but am not taking the MCAT until 3/28, does it matter if apply early or not (as long as I apply a month before my results come back to give time for application verification)? I have a 3.3 science GPA and 3.5 overall (which is low for a school like Western, right?)

Members don't see this ad.

Just looking at the MDapps page for Western shows that their interviewed/accepted average was MCAT 29.5 and GPA 3.49 so are you sure that you need to do a SMP?

just wondering what would be better, I spent my first 2 years of undergrad at a community college. after speaking with my premed advisor, she said that if I retook community college courses that they wouuld completely erase my old grade. I called the institution to see if this was true and they said it was for the first retake. So this leaves me in a pickle. for Bio 1 I got a C, for bio 2 I got a C+. Then i transfered and decided i wanted to go to medical school but my question is, now that I have those C's I know that there acceptable if my GPA is good enough but Im currently trying to raise my GPA, would it be more beneficial to retake those grades to boost my GPA OR take other higher level courses such as Biochem and molecular genetics. mind u its much cheaper to retake the old ones @ the community school. It would be about half the price but whatever looks best im willing to shell out the cash

Members don't see this ad :)
just wondering what would be better, I spent my first 2 years of undergrad at a community college. after speaking with my premed advisor, she said that if I retook community college courses that they wouuld completely erase my old grade. I called the institution to see if this was true and they said it was for the first retake. So this leaves me in a pickle. for Bio 1 I got a C, for bio 2 I got a C+. Then i transfered and decided i wanted to go to medical school but my question is, now that I have those C's I know that there acceptable if my GPA is good enough but Im currently trying to raise my GPA, would it be more beneficial to retake those grades to boost my GPA OR take other higher level courses such as Biochem and molecular genetics. mind u its much cheaper to retake the old ones @ the community school. It would be about half the price but whatever looks best im willing to shell out the cash

retake those and get much better scores and you also need to take the higher ones for your own good. Most of the schools are going to see what other sciences are in you application along with other non-sciences of course. It is getting more and more competitive each year; simply fulfilling the basic requirements may not be enough.... esp with MCAT is also undergoing its periodical revision. AAMC is going to include more genetics, biochem etc in MCAT. Read TNP for more details... and all the best! :thumbup::luck:

go ahead and do the retakes
you'll have to take those upplevel bio couses (biochem, physio, genetics) for most schools anyway

THANK YOU that was a great help lol. ive already taken comparative anatomy and genetics and have scored very well. so ias far as upper level bios I have some, i just wanted to know which route i should go and whether I should take more.. Thank you tho. first things first get those done.

I dont HAVE to, but I'm not sure what I would do with my year off. Shouldn't my gpa be at least the average accepted? Also, if I want to apply to some MD schools in California (CA resident), I should probably raise it.

Hi everybody, just wanted some information about becoming a DO. Currently, I am a junior (77 hrs) at the University of Central Florida majoring in business economics. Recently, however, I decided that I wanted to become an osteopathic physician. My GPA is a 3.182 and I have yet to take any of the required science classes. I also have little volunteering experience apart from a required service-learning class I took last semester. My questions are
1. Is my GPA too low to consider going to medical school?
2. Given the dirth of my volunteering experience, does that rule me out?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am ready to do whatever it takes but am concerned about my current situation.

Hi everybody, just wanted some information about becoming a DO. Currently, I am a junior (77 hrs) at the University of Central Florida majoring in business economics. Recently, however, I decided that I wanted to become an osteopathic physician. My GPA is a 3.182 and I have yet to take any of the required science classes. I also have little volunteering experience apart from a required service-learning class I took last semester. My questions are
1. Is my GPA too low to consider going to medical school?
2. Given the dirth of my volunteering experience, does that rule me out?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am ready to do whatever it takes but am concerned about my current situation.

I don't think you can really assess your GPA yet considering you have a lot of science classes to take. I think the best path for you is to try and do really well in whatever science and econ classes you have left. I know students that have gotten in with your GPA as it stands now but the higher your GPA the better your chances at acceptance along with MCAT experience etc... An upward trend in grades never hurt anyone :)

Also you need to volunteer otherwise you wont really have exposure to what clinical medicine is actually about and specifically clinical medicine with a DO physician vs. MD. This is especially helpful for secondary essays and interview questions to have personal experience to back up your wanting to go into medicine. However that is just my 2cents. Good luck!

I am from canada (US citizen) , I am planning to send my application to DO school in June, I have a 3.52 (non sci GPA) and a 3.45 sci GPA (aadcom average), I have a 3.8 non sci/ 3.62 sci gpa in my last 3.5 years of school, (with a 2.9 non sci/3.1 sci gpa in my first 2 years, I have 4 repeated classes on my application, and a couple of C's in my last 3.5 years (bio chem and cell bio but I have A's in many other upper level science courses). I am a EMT and I also work as a rehabilitation worker for the Handicapped, I will have more relevant EC's by June, I am also planning to take my MCAT, what do you think my chances are for getting in next year? -Oh I almost forgot, Because Im in canada theres not to many DO's to shadow, because of this I think it will be next to impossible to get one, I can get a MD LOR, but will it be acceptable to schools who require LOR's from DO's. Thanks

I will probably be REapplying to MD schools this cycle, and am wondering if I would benefit more from a post bacc or smp. Here are my strengths and weaknesses:

Mcat: 33N(retaking april09)
uGpa: 3.45, and 3.52 sci
BA in pschology
Average clinical volunteering
POOR research and LORs
Slight downward trend in gpa
Calif resident
•3 years since graduating and only med related activity has been behaviorist work with an aspergers teen.

So should I even spend the time applying this June if my mcat doesn't increase a lot? Should I take a post bacc or smp? I've been researching the forum lately, and it seems that an smp is more helpful. Still on the fence though...
Thanks for reading

Last edited:
I will probably be REapplying to MD schools this cycle, and am wondering if I would benefit more from a post bacc or smp. Here are my strengths and weaknesses:

Mcat: 33N(retaking april09)
uGpa: 3.45, and 3.52 sci
BA in pschology
Average clinical volunteering
POOR research and LORs
Slight downward trend in gpa
Calif resident
•3 years since graduating and only med related activity has been behaviorist work with an aspergers teen.

So should I even spend the time applying this June if my mcat doesn't increase a lot? Should I take a post bacc or smp? I've been researching the forum lately, and it seems that an smp is more helpful. Still on the fence though...
Thanks for reading

You mentioned MD schools, but since you're posting in a DO forum, I assume you're including osteopathic schools. If so, your stats seem better than fine for DO schools (why are you retaking a 33 MCAT?!).

Get a DO letter and some more med experience (if you want to). Otherwise, you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry i meant to post in the MD version of this forum. my mcat will be outdated in april, fyi. thanks anyway!

I have shadowed a DO physician for the past several years, so before anyone flames me......I know a little about osteopathic medicine. I am currently a senior (biochem major), and sort of in a crisis. My situation is that I have a cgpa of 3.8 and a sgpa of probably around a 3.7, in the 3.6s minimum. However, my MCAT is a 21, 8 on BS, 7 on PS, and 6 on Verbal. I am looking to retake the MCAT, scheduled it, but am worried that I will be still unprepared. I applied earlier this year to MD schools through AMCAS, before I got my MCAT results, I feel like I choked on them, and feel I could do better. Anyway, I was checking out some DO schools, and I know it is late in the cycle....really late, but would I have a chance at Rocky Vista or AT SOMA, or any of them remaining.

I really dont want to take a year off, and I dont care what title is at the end of my name, I didnt apply to DO in the beginning because I was kind of lazy in filling out the application. Also, if forced to take a year off, what would any of you suggest that I do? I have volunteered for the past 3 years and shadowed for the past 3 years, research for the past 3 years, various leadership since freshman year....HELP ME....please!

I have shadowed a DO physician for the past several years, so before anyone flames me......I know a little about osteopathic medicine. I am currently a senior (biochem major), and sort of in a crisis. My situation is that I have a cgpa of 3.8 and a sgpa of probably around a 3.7, in the 3.6s minimum. However, my MCAT is a 21, 8 on BS, 7 on PS, and 6 on Verbal. I am looking to retake the MCAT, scheduled it, but am worried that I will be still unprepared. I applied earlier this year to MD schools through AMCAS, before I got my MCAT results, I feel like I choked on them, and feel I could do better. Anyway, I was checking out some DO schools, and I know it is late in the cycle....really late, but would I have a chance at Rocky Vista or AT SOMA, or any of them remaining.

I really dont want to take a year off, and I dont care what title is at the end of my name, I didnt apply to DO in the beginning because I was kind of lazy in filling out the application. Also, if forced to take a year off, what would any of you suggest that I do? I have volunteered for the past 3 years and shadowed for the past 3 years, research for the past 3 years, various leadership since freshman year....HELP ME....please!

I don't see a problem in your GPA. However, I am sure the discrepancies btw the 2 academic indicators, namely MCAT and GPA will raise questions during application review. Also, is English your second language? However, from my experience, it is better for you to fill up the application immediate and send off if you are serious about just getting somewhere. I am not sure if other people would agree that you should call the schools and talk to them about your credentials and interest. They might be able to give you some advice at this juncture.

I have to be honest that your outlook is quite bleak at this point as the sec deadline for a number of good schools has already past. My advice is that you can apply to those places still accepting application and concentrate on retaking your MCAT! Ultimately, you want to give yourself the best place to be for the next four years. It would be a very irrational and impetuous choice to go just anywhere… the place might not be a fit for you and for med sch it is very important to find that place you will benefit the most! Also, a good MCAT may help you get off their waitlist!

GOOD LUCK and God speed!

You aren't eligible to Apply to KCOM-Kirksville, but can apply to RVU and KCOM-Arizona. Their deadlines for AACOMAS are March 15 and March 1, respectively. However, I strongly caution you against applying to RVU. Also, I don't think your AACOMAS will be verified in time for KCOM-Arizona. That gives you RVU. The students there are happy, but its a new school and its a for-profit, bad combination if you ask me. Take a year off, take an MCAT prep course or do self-study and retake the MCAT in May. This will keep your application early. I feel that doing a Heil Mary pass here is not worthwhile and is destroying your obvious potential.

Page 2 (deadlines): http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/cib2009toc/2009_CIBp17-21.pdf

OP, a year off can be a great thing if you take the time to think through your financial options available to you.

It sounds like you have great experiences already. If you do decide to take a year off, I suggest you up the ante. Work in a major hospital setting and put your bachelor degree to the greatest amount of work possible. You will find that the financial incentive is more than adequate for you to have an enjoyable year.

What type of medicine interests you? Live and work around it. You do not need to shadow a doctor anymore although you can if you want. I graduated last year, and in my time off, I have been working in the psychiatric units of a major hospital. Was I nervous before approaching the "gap year"? Absolutely. Do I regret doing it? Absolutely not. Like you, I was able to increase my MCAT score from my previous year by 3 points! It is totally possible. You have worked hard to get to this point, so take a year and improve your MCAT. Also, the added benefit is that after you are done re-taking, you can start earning income and maybe get some traveling in. Over the summer, I plan on going abroad for a month.

The economy does suck right now. BUT, if you choose to work in health care, you will be fine. There is no real shortage of openings in most hospitals that I am aware of. Good luck to you! I am sending you good thoughts. You will be a much stronger person and will really feel proud about the spot you have earned in your med school class when the time comes.

#1, Re-take the MCAT. Your score isn't very good. You would have to rely heavily on everything else in your app. being near perfect.

#2, Take a deep breath, relax, enjoy life while you can (I know it is hard without knowing for sure you are accepted somewhere, but it looks like you have a good shot of getting in somewhere when your MCAT goes up)

#3, Take a year off! I talked to residents, med. students, pre-med students that are accepted etc. Find what you like to do, and do it. My friend got a job at the airport so he could fly free to interviews and to skiing destinations around the states and Canada (free flights for the most part:) It doesn't have to be medically related! I have a job in a hosp. that pays amazingly well, but I have to work nights and do not like that part. However, I always wanted to be a waiter somewhere... Ah! A Greek restaurant. I like Greek food.

#4, One...step...at...a...time.

I don't understand how you can work hard for four years, screw up a single test--a test that takes 3 months to prepare for at best--and are suddenly okay with attending any school that'll take you.

Why don't you take your time, stop being lazy, and prepare for the MCAT. Why take it when you feel unprepared? So you can get another 21? Get a 30 and your selection of schools and the quality of your selection improves dramatically. Use the extra year for extra prep and to enjoy yourself.

And let's be honest here, you didn't apply to DO in the beginning because you didn't think you'd get a 21. That's okay. Maybe you'll do better and you won't have to. Maybe you'll do better and you'll get into an established DO school.

My opinion is that you save your money and reapply next year.

I don't understand how you can work hard for four years, screw up a single test--a test that takes 3 months to prepare for at best--and are suddenly okay with attending any school that'll take you.

Why don't you take your time, stop being lazy, and prepare for the MCAT. Why take it when you feel unprepared? So you can get another 21? Get a 30 and your selection of schools and the quality of your selection improves dramatically. Use the extra year for extra prep and to enjoy yourself.

And let's be honest here, you didn't apply to DO in the beginning because you didn't think you'd get a 21. That's okay. Maybe you'll do better and you won't have to. Maybe you'll do better and you'll get into an established DO school.

My opinion is that you save your money and reapply next year.

Though this advice may seem harsh it's largely on target. An MCAT score of 21 is on the low end of the stats range even for newer American DO schools. If you had a 25-27 or something you might have a shot at this point but with a 21 I'd certainly advise retaking the MCAT and applying next year. Your credentials otherwise seem quite strong and with an MCAT score approaching 30 (or better) your horizons will broaden considerably when it comes to applying to medical schools. Good luck!

Agreed with others here, as tempting as it is, take the year off, really work on that getting that MCAT up and don't rush it, maybe do a little more ECs, and make that app strong so that next year you'll have a wider selection of schools to choose from.

If you're really desperate you could always try SGU/Ross or something.

Hi everyone!

so my stats:

gpa: 3.355
sgpa: 3.415 (w/o ESPM course.. 3.452 w/ ESPM course)
1st mcat: 26S - P 9, V 6 :*(, B 11
2nd mcat: retaking in may

1. I was wondering if you guys had any tips as to which areas i should focus my energy on (besides mcats) to improve my chances.

2. also, my parents (who don't really know anything about medical school) are forcing me to apply to these MD schools their colleagues have told them about. should i just.. not??? or will this not hurt my chances at a DO school?

the schools i'm looking at are:

tuoro - ca and ny
western
ccom
pcom
nsucom
msu
dmu
nycom

3. Is there any type of preference for tuoro and western to take CA residents or people from UCs?

THANK YOU!! OH YEAH.. i've been working on my personal statement and i'm trying really hard to get everything ready so i can apply ASAP. I was wondering if i have all my paperwork and everything finished and get my app submitted by.. mid june or so.. Do you think i'll have a good shot at getting in before the end of the year?? What time should I be expecting secondaries and interviews (DEAR GOD HELP ME!) before i need to start panicking? ahhh sorry such a long post, i've just been stalking this site forever and have finally realized i need advice.

PS.. does anyone know if a course in Environmental Science, Policy, and Management would count as a science course?

-Your energy should be focused on the MCAT and shadowing experience that will yield a darn good letter.

-I would be reluctant to apply to any MD schools..especially with that GPA. If you got a higher MCAT you might have a teensie bit of hope, but you wouldn't believe some of the applicants that get turned down from MD schools these days (Im talking 30+, 3.6+...). IMHO you should save your money.

-Western and Touro-CA will not show instate preference

-If you submit your app mid-june, you can expect secondaries to start trickling in around august until about september or possibly even october if the schools are really slacking. You will be really early on in the game if you submit primaries that early. That will defenitely be to your benefit.

Good luck!

Hey guys, I've been going crazy lately trying to figure out what to do, so I thought I would ask for some advice if possible.

I'm set to graduate this May with a degree in phys., Solid ec's, but I have yet to take the MCAT though. I really want to take it in April, and apply to some SMP's and get my AMCAS in for this cycle too. But, I'm taking 19 hours currently in order to finish my major/minor, so I don't really see when I could put some good hard studying in for the MCAT. So, I guess I'm just lost on what to do here. I really want to get my app. in for this cycle and plan on applying to 20 schools (10 do, 10md). But should I be trying to do some SMP, or MS, and when should I try to take the MCAT in order to still apply at some point this summer?:confused:

Last edited:
Hey guys, I've been going crazy lately trying to figure out what to do, so I thought I would ask for some advice if possible.

I'm set to graduate this May with a degree in physiology~3.3 cgpa., Solid ec's, but I have yet to take the MCAT though. I really want to take it in April, and apply to some SMP's and get my AMCAS in for this cycle too. But, I'm taking 19 hours currently in order to finish my major/minor, so I don't really see when I could put some good hard studying in for the MCAT. So, I guess I'm just lost on what to do here. I really want to get my app. in for this cycle and plan on applying to 20 schools (10 do, 10md). But should I be trying to do some SMP, or MS, and when should I try to take the MCAT in order to still apply at some point this summer?:confused:

The worst thing you can do is force the MCAT..if you're not scoring as high as you'd like on the AAMC practice tests I would recommend against taking it. Better to wait than to try and apply with a score you aren't proud of. This is spoken from experience :oops:

I recently took the MCATs and scored a 26, (PS 6, VS 11, BS 9 R) after running out of time in the physics section :oops:. I have taken the MCATs before, and scored a 24 - PS 8, VS 10, BS 6 R - so at least my scores are moving up. I would like to apply for DO school in the 2009-2010 cycle. I have a cGPA of 3.68, good EC's and strong LOR (but none of that matters if they won't look at my app to begin with). So I guess my questions are twofold:

1) Is anyone aware of schools that will look at multiple sets of scores? I.E, consider the 8 in PS before?

2) Should I just retake the MCAT?

Any help would be much appreciated.
cheers!

Hey everyone, thought i'd throw my stats out here and see what you guys think:

Just graduated from undergrad with:

3.32 Cummulative GPA (last 44 credits: 3.75) => upward trend for last 3 semesters

3.27 Science GPA

100 hours of shadowing in ER, Surgery, Cardiology, Primary Care, etc.

1 year of nurse aide experience at nursing home(getting re-certified in the next couple weeks, eventually working again in hospital)

70 hours of volunteer for heart foundation/hospital(some hospice)

50 hours volunteering in radiology dept at hosiptal

Good Recommendation from committee at school as well as some doctors I shadowed (Have shadowed both D.O. and M.D.)

Taking the MCAT in April (1st time taken: 22 (8B/7V/7P, only had a month to study but I will rock it this time)

Hey everyone, thought i'd throw my stats out here and see what you guys think:

Just graduated from undergrad with:

3.32 Cummulative GPA (last 44 credits: 3.75) => upward trend for last 3 semesters

3.27 Science GPA

100 hours of shadowing in ER, Surgery, Cardiology, Primary Care, etc.

1 year of nurse aide experience at nursing home(getting re-certified in the next couple weeks, eventually working again in hospital)

70 hours of volunteer for heart foundation/hospital(some hospice)

50 hours volunteering in radiology dept at hosiptal

Good Recommendation from committee at school as well as some doctors I shadowed (Have shadowed both D.O. and M.D.)

Taking the MCAT in April (1st time taken: 22 (8B/7V/7P, only had a month to study but I will rock it this time)

I think you have a good shot as long as you apply broadly and early. Try to get at least a 26 and I think you will get in somewhere. Seems like a lot of schools like to see that strong upward trend. Just be ready to explain why you did poorly your first two years during your interview.

ok sounds good, thanks for the feedback.....is it absolutely necessary to have a letter of recommendation from a D.O. for the D.O. schools but I have shadowed 3 different D.O.'s for about 15 hours each

ok sounds good, thanks for the feedback.....is it absolutely necessary to have a letter of recommendation from a D.O. for the D.O. schools but I have shadowed 3 different D.O.'s for about 15 hours each

It's only required for a handful of schools; most will state that it's "strongly required" however, so you should still try your best to obtain one.

I think I know the answer to this but I'll throw it out there anyways.... what are my chances..?

sGPA 3.82
cGPA 3.79
MCAT:18M (weak.. I know)

NCAA Student Athlete: Division 1 Track and Field (Full Scholarship)
Research (One semester)
Habitat For Humanity Volunteer
Undergraduate TA: Biology Lab (One semester)
University Hired Peer Tutor (One year)
Volunteer Community Track and Field Coach
Independent Travel - Backpacked Southeast Asia (4 months)

Awards:
Conference Honor Roll (2003-2007)
Conference Commissioners List
Conference All-Academic Honors
Conference All-Conference Honors
Super Scholar Athlete (2006)
Scholar Athlete (2004,2005,2007)
Dean's List (2004-2007)
Health Professions Scholarship (2005-2007)

None. Retake the MCAT

I agree too! unless your father is the owner of RVU, I wouldn't apply with an 18. Take a prep course like kaplan and retake it. I promise you'll only improve. I know of a person who got a 12 but ended up with a 31. Good luck

For the 2010 cycle,
chemical engineering undergrad, environ eng. masters student
MCAT: 28O
cGPA: ~3.5 sGPA: ~3.6
EC: some hospital/clinic volunteering, MD/DO shadowing experience, lots of research, some leadership, lil community service

I have a strong DO LOR :) & 2 MD LORs but my cGPA has a huge downward trend as I got 2 Cs in my 3rd yr undegrad.
and I'm looking to apply to:
UMDNJ
NYCOM
TouroCOM

For the 2010 cycle,
chemical engineering undergrad, environ eng. masters student
MCAT: 28O
cGPA: ~3.5 sGPA: ~3.6
EC: some hospital/clinic volunteering, MD/DO shadowing experience, lots of research, some leadership, lil community service

I have a strong DO LOR :) & 2 MD LORs but my cGPA has a huge downward trend as I got 2 Cs in my 3rd yr undegrad.
and I'm looking to apply to:
UMDNJ
NYCOM
TouroCOM

Looks like you'll have a pretty good chance despite the downward trend (which you should find an acceptable reason for). Since you seem to want to stay in the northeast, I would also recommend applying to PCOM, and maybe even LECOM. You may have a chance at some MD schools as well, if you choose to apply to them at all.

Either way, apply early and you should be good. :thumbup:

Hi everyone,

I'm really hoping to attend a D.O school and was wondering how likely I am to get an acceptance, given my stats (I'm planning to apply this summer). I realize my stats are not unusually impressive - but I do have a lot of clinical experience and extra-curricular stuff. Here are all the numbers:

MCAT: 26Q
Overall GPA: 3.4
Science GPA: 3.0

I also have no idea what schools to apply to, given my numbers. Any thoughts or suggestions would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

Hey all, I will keep this pretty short and sweet. I am hung up between DO and MD. I have a GPA of 3.33 and take the MCAT in July. I am applying in spring of 2010 but I am not the type to not think about things in advance so I have just a few questions right now. Which schools will fit me best? I have been a firefighter/paramedic for 5 years and I just returned from Ghana, Africa where I was treating patients for a month in a tiny medical clinic. I want to do emergency medicine but I am also VERY interested in the WHO/Dr.'s without borders idea. Are there schools that are more focused on this area than others? Are there schools that give preference to real life experience like mine? Any experience that some of you may have like mine I would love to hear about. Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to SDN, starting to apply to medical schools NOW. What do you think my chances for Osteopathic schools are with:

3.23 cumulative, ~3.19 science
32 MCAT
- worked for pediatrician for 1.5 years
- volunteer/intern at hospital for 1.5 years

Thanks for any input!!

I wanted to know what are my chances of getting accepted with a 3.1 gpa? I haven't taken the MCAT just yet.

Last edited:
I wanted to know what are my chances of getting accepted with a 3.1 gpa? I haven't taken the MCAT just yet.

Do you have a strong upward trend? Also, this is kinda hard to determine without an MCAT score. You'll definitely want to score over 30, however.

You can get much lower than a 30 on the mcat and still have a high chance of getting accepted with a 3.1 gpa. Just don't be a downie !

Actually, both of you are incorrect. I had exactly a 3.03 cumulative GPA for my undergraduate career and I got accepted with a 24O MCAT. It can be done. You need a strong upward trend in your grades, lots of clinical, shadowing and volunteering experiences, as well as strong letters of recommendation.

It can be done. I know because I just did it.

Actually, both of you are incorrect. I had exactly a 3.03 cumulative GPA for my undergraduate career and I got accepted with a 24O MCAT. It can be done. You need a strong upward trend in your grades, lots of clinical, shadowing and volunteering experiences, as well as strong letters of recommendation.

It can be done. I know because I just did it.

I was speaking in general terms, of course you aren't going to absolutely need a really high MCAT to get in, but it certainly doesn't hurt. Everyone's situation is different. Congrats on the acceptance btw!

So here is my story:
CGPA : 3.48 BCMP: 3.62. 30 MCAT. I retook 5 science cources from the first two years, including Orgo I and II. My mom passed away my freshman year, so I had to work full-time to support my self. Thus, the horrible performance during the first two years. Took advanced courses my senior year. Have 1 year of public health research (not a lab setting) with pending publication, 1 poster presentation, 4 months internship in the lab of a chem. company, ~300 hours volunteering, 2 DO shadowings , etc. What do you think are my chances? I am worried about course retakes...

Also, this is from a document that my undergrad distributes. I don't know how accurate it is but it will give you some perspective:

Osteopathic (DO) Schools MCAT and GPA Averages

• A.T. Still University School of Osteopathic Medicine – Arizona
    • MCAT – 24
    • Science GPA – 3.3
    • Overall GPA – 3.4
  • A.T. Still University Kirksville School of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 26
    • Science GPA – 3.3
    • Overall GPA – 3.5
  • Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University (AZCOM)
    • MCAT – 27
    • Science GPA – 3.4
    • Overall GPA – 3.4
  • Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
    • MCAT – 26
    • Science GPA – 3.42
    • Overall GPA – 3.52
  • Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 25.7
    • Science GPA – 3.49
    • Overall GPA – 3.56
  • Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 25.14
    • Science GPA – 3.46
    • Overall GPA – 3.55
  • Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 25
    • Science GPA – 3.2
    • Overall GPA – 3.3
  • Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine – Bradenton Campus
    • MCAT – 25
    • Science GPA – 3.27
    • Overall GPA – 3.35
  • Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 24.62
    • Science GPA – 3.18
    • Overall GPA – 3.29
  • Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 26-27
    • Science GPA – 3.5
    • Overall GPA – 3.5
  • New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of the New York Institute of Technology
    • MCAT – 26
    • Science GPA – 3.5
    • Overall GPA – 3.5
  • Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 25.65
    • Science GPA – 3.33
    • Overall GPA – 3.43
  • Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 25
    • Science GPA – 3.47
    • Overall GPA – 3.55
  • Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT –26.1
    • Science GPA – 3.58
    • Overall GPA –3.64
  • Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 24
    • Science GPA – 3.15
    • Overall GPA – 3.3
  • Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine – Georgia Campus
    • MCAT – 24
    • Science GPA – 3.15
    • Overall GPA – 3.3
  • Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 24
    • Science GPA – 3.3
    • Overall GPA – 3.4
  • Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine – New York
    • MCAT – 26
    • Science GPA – 3.1
    • Overall GPA – 3.3
  • Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine – California
    • MCAT – 26.16
    • Science GPA – 3.21
    • Overall GPA – 3.35
  • Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine – Nevada
    • MCAT – 26
    • Science GPA – 3.25
    • Overall GPA – 3.35
  • University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey School of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 27
    • Science GPA – 3.45
    • Overall GPA –3.5
  • University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 25.2
    • Science GPA –
    • Overall GPA – 3.37
  • University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 27
    • Science GPA – 3.44
    • Overall GPA – 3.52
  • Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 24
    • Science GPA – 3.5
    • Overall GPA – 3.6
  • Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
    • MCAT – 27
    • Science GPA – 3.4
    • Overall GPA – 3.5
  • Western Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 23
    • Science GPA – 3.36
    • Overall GPA – 3.4

are these avg gpa calculated by aacomas? because i think retakes CAN make a significant difference

So here is my story:
CGPA : 3.48 BCMP: 3.62. 30 MCAT. I retook 5 science cources from the first two years, including Orgo I and II. My mom passed away my freshman year, so I had to work full-time to support my self. Thus, the horrible performance during the first two years. Took advanced courses my senior year. Have 1 year of public health research (not a lab setting) with pending publication, 1 poster presentation, 4 months internship in the lab of a chem. company, ~300 hours volunteering, 2 DO shadowings , etc. What do you think are my chances? I am worried about course retakes...

I am very sorry to hear about your mom. I think if you apply broadly, you will definitely get some love (probably from multiple places). My guess is that you'll get in somewhere next year. I wouldn't worry too much about the retakes. I mean, yeah, you messed up in five courses. But hey, you showed the determination to go back and take all of those courses over again. I'm not 100% sure what schools think about retakes, but considering that those courses were early in college and that AACOMAS does grade replacement, I don't think you really have anything to worry about. I'm not sure if you know this, but AACOMAS does not calculate a BCPM gpa like AMCAS. AACOMAS just does a science gpa (no math).

So here is my story:

I don't know if you've seen this thread, but I'd check it out.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=619785

These people might have a better handle on the impacts of retakes.