~2008-2009~"What Are My Chances/Where Should I Apply/What Should I Do" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! Just wondering if there are any schools that take kids this late in the game? I have a 3.81 GPA , Bio major, Public Health minor, and 26N on the MCATs. I have great clinical volunteer hours and published research both at my university as well as a state MD school. I do have LOR's from MD's but not from a DO. I did shadow a DO and could get a LOR if there is a specific school that I have high odds at. This is a blanket effort for me and don't care where I get in. I just made the decision that I rather do U.S DO than an MD from the carribean. Any Advice on specific schools, I can only afford to apply to three or four. One that I really like is OSU?

Below are the schools that are still accepting apps:

Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-COM)
A.T. Still University Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (ATSU/KCOM)
Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences
College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCUMB-COM)
Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-COM)
Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences
College of Osteopathic Medicine (OSU-COM)
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM)
Georgia Campus
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (GA-PCOM) Feb. 1, 2009 Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine (PCSOM)
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
School of Osteopathic Medicine (UMDNJ-SOM)
University of New England
College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM)
Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM)
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
Of The New York Institute of Technology (NYCOM/NYIT)
Lincoln Memorial University
DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM)
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)
A.T. Still University
School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Mar. 1, 2009
Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences
College of Osteopathic Medicine (PNWU-COM)
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVUCOM)
Touro University - California
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine (TUCOM-CA)
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM)
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine

Bradenton Campus (LECOM-Bradenton)
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York (TOUROCOM)
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine (TUCOM-NV)
Western University of Health Sciences
College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (Western U/COMP)

Members don't see this ad.

I think its pretty late to apply and you would better off waiting until next year. But anyway, I can tell you that your MCAT is below average for OSU, UNJ, CCOM, AZCOM, DMU, and Western, and maybe PCOM. Also, those schools receive plenty of applications and I'd be suprised that they would grant you an interview over someone with similar stats who applied months ago. So, if i were you, I'd pick other schools to apply to if I could only apply to 3 or 4.

hey guys so i have a question, i have done DO shadowing and personally i really like everything that Ostepathic medicine has to offer. I really dont care about the huge fuzz over which is better MD or DO. Although it doesn't matter because my gpa is low, so i dont think i have a legitmate shot at allopathic schools anyway.

I had a question for all you DO medical students. I have heard that its really hard for you to get a positon in MD residency compared to MD's. Is this true? (makes sense) why is this the case? Will this cause a lot of trouble for those who are seeking a speciality in surgery??

Finally what are my chance, and what can i do to improve?

my BCPM gpa is a 2.86... however i think my BCP gpa is alot higher or will be alot higher after i repeated a couple of science courses due to a bad semester.. How can i calculate BCP gpa? the AAMC has a clear outline on what they consider, but the AACPMAS doesnot? which classes count? does psychology, statistics, Astronomy 100, nutrition courses? Do they count in BCP gpa. i know they dont count for BCPM gpa except for stats which does count.. Please help me find more information on this.

My problem is that i have taken lots of science course because i am a molecular biology major but i have really screwed up the pre-req course.. I am currently a junior right now, so i have 3 semesters left before i fill out any applications. SO what can i do to MAXIMIZE my gpa??

I am already planning to retake Orgo 1 where i got a C+ and physics 2 where i got B- (3 +5) credits. SO this can help. I cant do much else because all my other course i have done average meaning a B or B-... Seemed like my major courses geered towards a C+ average which most people got.. SO i have been screwed because the class are just designed that way!!.
anyways i have done better this semester.. and i have the confidence that i can pull up my gpa.
However i am not sure what my plan of attack is yet?
- SHould i repeate more than few courses? -- RED Flag for adcoms.
- SHould i just take basic science courses like 100 level which i havent taken to imporve my BCP gpa?
- SHould i continue taking 300 and 400 level biology courses like system physio or immunology or endocronology? keep in my mind i only need 3 more classes to satisfy my major and i have like over 100 credits all ready
- so i have alot of room for additional courses? what do you guys think? what should i do?
- As for my MCAT, i will be taking them in the summer, but i have started studying and am very confident i can score around 34.. getting 31's on practice tests right now.

Overall gpa right now 3.24
Overall BCPM rite now 2.86

As for volunteering exprience i have over 100 hours on clinal experience, and i have 30 hours shadowing a DO.
- Another question how else can i broaden my volunteering, EC approach? What type of things can i do? whatt type of EC did you guys have?
- SO bottom line i have 3 semesters left to increase my gpa, and get good mcat score. What are my chances of getting into a DO school
-God bless if you read this entire freaking post!!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys so i have a question, i have done DO shadowing and personally i really like everything that Ostepathic medicine has to offer. I really dont care about the huge fuzz over which is better MD or DO. Although it doesn't matter because my gpa is low, so i dont think i have a legitmate shot at allopathic schools anyway.

I had a question for all you DO medical students. I have heard that its really hard for you to get a positon in MD residency compared to MD's. Is this true? (makes sense) why is this the case? Will this cause a lot of trouble for those who are seeking a speciality in surgery??

Finally what are my chance, and what can i do to improve?

my BCPM gpa is a 2.86... however i think my BCP gpa is alot higher or will be alot higher after i repeated a couple of science courses due to a bad semester.. How can i calculate BCP gpa? the AAMC has a clear outline on what they consider, but the AACOM doesnot? which classes count? does psychology, statistics, Astronomy 100, nutrition courses? Do they count in BCP gpa. i know they dont count for BCPM gpa except for stats which does count.. Please help me find more information on this.

My problem is that i have taken lots of science course because i am a molecular biology major but i have really screwed up the pre-req course.. I am currently a junior right now, so i have 3 semesters left before i fill out any applications. SO what can i do to MAXIMIZE my gpa??

I am already planning to retake Orgo 1 where i got a C+ and physics 2 where i got B- (3 +5) credits. SO this can help. I cant do much else because all my other course i have done average meaning a B or B-... Seemed like my major courses geered towards a C+ average which most people got.. SO i have been screwed because the class are just designed that way!!.
anyways i have done better this semester.. and i have the confidence that i can pull up my gpa.
However i am not sure what my plan of attack is yet?
- SHould i repeate more than few courses? -- RED Flag for adcoms.
- SHould i just take basic science courses like 100 level which i havent taken to imporve my BCP gpa?
- SHould i continue taking 300 and 400 level biology courses like system physio or immunology or endocronology? keep in my mind i only need 3 more classes to satisfy my major and i have like over 100 credits all ready
- so i have alot of room for additional courses? what do you guys think? what should i do?
- As for my MCAT, i will be taking them in the summer, but i have started studying and am very confident i can score around 34.. getting 31's on practice tests right now.

Overall gpa right now 3.24
Overall BCPM rite now 2.86

As for volunteering exprience i have over 100 hours on clinal experience, and i have 30 hours shadowing a DO.
- Another question how else can i broaden my volunteering, EC approach? What type of things can i do? whatt type of EC did you guys have?
- SO bottom line i have 3 semesters left to increase my gpa, and get good mcat score. What are my chances of getting into a DO school
-God bless if you read this entire freaking post!!

I ve got about 10 C's in total. No A's and the rest B's.

I ve been taking like 2 courses or so and basically been gettin c's cuz tbh i really didn't care. Ive changed my mind recently, and will start to focus and start achieving a's etc. My major is in science btw, so ill be taking upper division science courses.

Im gonna retake 2 math courses and get a's in those. I will not retake any lab science courses such as bio/chem/phys...2 much money and time.

Since my gpa will increase after retakes, do you guys beileve i will need to do a post-bach ? Lets not forget im in my 3rd year with only 60 credits...i retook some F's and got C's.

How far behind am I? I am 21 years old.

I've been waitlisted/alt listed at NOVA, LECOM-Brad, and UMDNJ. I'm concerned because I haven't been accepted anywhere yet. If I get waitlisted at a bunch of places, do I have a good chance of being accepted eventually?

I've been waitlisted/alt listed at NOVA, LECOM-Brad, and UMDNJ. I'm concerned because I haven't been accepted anywhere yet. If I get waitlisted at a bunch of places, do I have a good chance of being accepted eventually?

Someone may be able to give you a personal account of being accepted off the waitlist...but my advice is that there will probably be some movement on the waitlists the next time a payment deadline comes around. You may want to contact each program and determine where you are on the waitlist so you know a little bit more about your situation. At least you are on multiple waitlists so hopefully something will happen. Good luck!!!

I ve got about 10 C's in total. No A's and the rest B's.

I ve been taking like 2 courses or so and basically been gettin c's cuz tbh i really didn't care. Ive changed my mind recently, and will start to focus and start achieving a's etc. My major is in science btw, so ill be taking upper division science courses.

Im gonna retake 2 math courses and get a's in those. I will not retake any lab science courses such as bio/chem/phys...2 much money and time.

Since my gpa will increase after retakes, do you guys beileve i will need to do a post-bach ? Lets not forget im in my 3rd year with only 60 credits...i retook some F's and got C's.

How far behind am I? I am 21 years old.

It's really hard to give you advice without more specifics. Like what exactly is your GPA? Do you know that Math courses won't help your sciGPA for DO schools? You don't need to make up the lab component of a class if you retake the lecture (unless maybe if the classes were combined the first time you took them, but I really don't know about that).

Have you begun studying for the MCAT yet?

Hey guys, well as you can see im planning on doing dental but my gpa isnt too hot right now. I am going to retake some of my pre-reqs like bio 1 & 2 which i scored a D in and possibly chem and orgo which I got C's. I am posting in the pre-osteo forum because i hear that they use the repeated grade only and not the original grade. This being said, if I happen to retake bio and maybe chem or orgo do you think id have a better chance at dental school or DO school. Also i will be retaking at Rutgers Camden but I attend Rutgers New Brunswick. The difference is that New Brunswick is the main campus and Camden is a smaller campus. At camden orgo and bio is split as lecture 3 credits and lab 1 whereas i took a 4 credit class for both. Will DO school still let me use the new grade even though the credits are slightly different and the titles are different? Thanks alot for your help. I know this is a pretty big post but i really appreciate all the help. :)

Hey guys, well as you can see im planning on doing dental but my gpa isnt too hot right now. I am going to retake some of my pre-reqs like bio 1 & 2 which i scored a D in and possibly chem and orgo which I got C's. I am posting in the pre-osteo forum because i hear that they use the repeated grade only and not the original grade. This being said, if I happen to retake bio and maybe chem or orgo do you think id have a better chance at dental school or DO school. Also i will be retaking at Rutgers Camden but I attend Rutgers New Brunswick. The difference is that New Brunswick is the main campus and Camden is a smaller campus. At camden orgo and bio is split as lecture 3 credits and lab 1 whereas i took a 4 credit class for both. Will DO school still let me use the new grade even though the credits are slightly different and the titles are different? Thanks alot for your help. I know this is a pretty big post but i really appreciate all the help. :)
There are ongoing threads right now going on the first page of the pre-osteo form covering pretty much exactly the same topic. Here. Go through that thread and wait for the update I'll give you guys whenever I find out from AACOMAS. As far whether you will have a better shot at dental or DO schools, I'm not really sure... it would help to know your gpa and of course you need to shadow atleast 1 DO doctor. I don't know too much about dental applications so I can't really say much. Obviously the MCAT is a large factor for allopathic/osteopathic schools so that would also need to be taken into consideration to tell you which school you may have a better chance at. There really is a massive amount of information hidden in these forums, a lot of it can be uncovered by doing a search. You'll probably find answers to most all your questions plus some. Good luck!

Oh by the way, on top of the Calculus re-take for me I also re-took General Chemistry I. The original course combined the lab/lecture for a total of 5 credit hours whereas my re-take at a different (current) university separated the lab/lecture into 2 different grades, the lab being 1 credit hour and the lecture 3, for a total of 4. I also asked AACOMAS about that so I'll let you know what they have to say about that.

thanks. my gpa as of now is 2.4 but im still a sophomore and have alot of upper level science classes to take and a couple repeats

thanks. my gpa as of now is 2.4 but im still a sophomore and have alot of upper level science classes to take and a couple repeats
Yea, as of now you're main focus should definitely be to bring that GPA up... it's certainly not too late and the fact DO schools will only count the latest of the re-takes into their GPA calculations is definitely a huge plus. Have to get that GPA to at the very least a 3.0 to be considered. >3.2 is definitely recommended.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking for some advice..:

Currently in grad school, and had registered for a "for grade" course (histology) in Fall 2008. Decided mid-semester that I needed to focus on apps and my thesis, so I withdrew. It's the second W on my grad transcript, both of which were for electives, not prereqs (the other W was an advanced genetics course).

No schools have specifically requested an updated Fall 2008 transcript (probably since my undergrad transcript is complete), but should I send my updated grad transcript anyway..? It's also going to show that I am in the lab full-time, but I don't anticipate that will change my odds either way.

I'm waiting on interview offers so I'm not sure if *not* sending it will affect my status... but I'm also not sure if the "W" will hurt my odds.

Thanks!

Looking for some advice..:

Currently in grad school, and had registered for a "for grade" course (histology) in Fall 2008. Decided mid-semester that I needed to focus on apps and my thesis, so I withdrew. It's the second W on my grad transcript, both of which were for electives, not prereqs (the other W was an advanced genetics course).

No schools have specifically requested an updated Fall 2008 transcript (probably since my undergrad transcript is complete), but should I send my updated grad transcript anyway..? It's also going to show that I am in the lab full-time, but I don't anticipate that will change my odds either way.

I'm waiting on interview offers so I'm not sure if *not* sending it will affect my status... but I'm also not sure if the "W" will hurt my odds.

Thanks!

I'm not sure about this one. I mean, it's always nice to show schools you have a continued interest in your application there. A good way to do this is by sending updated transcripts. However, a W isn't going to help you.

Is that the only new grade they will see?

SDNers,

I am a med school hopeful who is half way through my junior year. Unfortunately, I spent my first three semesters dabbling around with my biology major before buckling down my second semester sophomore year.

GPA wise I was a 3.0 student pretty much on the dot until my little epiphany. Since then I have been holding a 3.9ish. after 5 semesters total (3 bad 2 good) this brings me to a 3.37 average. I realize that this is not a very good overall GPA, but was wondering how much medical schools will value my upward trend and success in difficult classes (Organic chem II=A, Anatomy+Phys=A, Animal Physiology= A, Biological Research Methods=A, Physics= B).

While I'm at it I think my EC's will also help me out to some extent. I am president of a statewide student research organization, am active in research, will be presenting my work in developmental biology at the end of the semester, have done volunteer hours in recreational therapy (~50 hours), and shadowed autopsies with the county coroner.

All in all how do you think medical schools will perceive an application from me? Also what should I concentrate on in the future?

I appreciate your help... I always get myself bent out of shape about these sorts of things.

Thanks,
John

hey eklip53, your story sounds a lot like mine when I was in undergrad. During my first two years I had a very poor GPA due to many reasons. But starting my junior, I started focusing more on my classes and worked hard and was able to get above a 3.7 my last four semesters in college.

I was eventually invited to interview at 8 different schools and ultimately got accepted at my number one choice. I think you will be okay as long as you continue to work hard and get good grades. Try to maintain at least a 3.45+ GPA each semester until you graduate and I am very confident you will be okay. Also, prepare hard for your MCAT because they will mean a lot. As long as you get 26-27+ you will be okay. The average MCAT for DO schools is a 26-27. As long as your within the average range, and your EC's are good, you will be a good candidate.

At one of my interview, the interviewer specifically told me he admired my upward trend in grades. It showed my development as a student, maturity, and resiliency.

Keep up the good work and study hard for the MCAT. You can do it! :)

I'm not sure about this one. I mean, it's always nice to show schools you have a continued interest in your application there. A good way to do this is by sending updated transcripts. However, a W isn't going to help you.

Is that the only new grade they will see?

Hi CB,

The only other grade they will see is a "satisfactory" for a 1 cred seminar, plus 8 or 9 credits of lab (ungraded). so... I'm not really sure what to do.

From trolling the SDN for the past few months, it looks like you've got the answers most the time... just curious, are you med student? admin? Either way, thanks for all the posts... esp the stats/links. I've lost sleep plenty of nights on this site... sigh.

My chances thus far?
Hi I am new, and I am looking for some good advice...

Here are my grades at Rutgers:

Freshman year:
Expos. Writing-B
Calc. I-F
Bio. I-B+
Chem. I-C

Microecon.-C+
Calc. I-B+ (retake)
Bio. II-B
Chem. II-C+
Chem. Lab-B+

Ceramics-A

Sophomore year:
Cesep (civil engagement 1 credit)-A
Research (5 credits)-Temporary-C
Theat. Apps.-A
Space, Place, Location (Geography)-A
Stat. I-A
Orgo. I-B

Overall GPA-3.102
My Gpa will be 3.30 after I complete research, and change my temporary C to an A.

Extracurriculars:

Shadowed a Physician (Oncologist DO)
(I want to be a Dentist or DO I don't know which yet)
Premed./Predent. Club (freshman year)
Vice President of a Child mentoring club called Pilot Me.
Treasurer for dorming complex. (Big part of my campus)
I volunteered over the Summer will continue next Summer at Robert Wood Johnson Hosp.
I am starting my own club called CARE in which we will assess health need of our city's community, and then set goals on raising money for things that are beneficial to them. (Working with an NGO with $3 mill. endowment)
I am going to do or have done other things. (Most likely shadow a Dentist and go on a foreign relief trip to a third world country)

All in all am I in horrible shape? I messed up freshman year. I am horrible at math courses I just panic during them. I am taking 14 credits this spring and continuing research to change the Temp. C. to an A. I also wanted to know if I should take physics over the summer? I really want to in order to graduate on time. I have never had physics, and so should I take it at a CC or Rutgers over the summer? I appreciate it, and hope to get many responses. Btw my major is Evolutionary Anthropology and minor is Nutrition.
Thank You.

My chances thus far?
Hi I am new, and I am looking for some good advice...

Here are my grades at Rutgers:

Freshman year:
Expos. Writing-B
Calc. I-F
Bio. I-B+
Chem. I-C

Microecon.-C+
Calc. I-B+ (retake)
Bio. II-B
Chem. II-C+
Chem. Lab-B+

Ceramics-A

Sophomore year:
Cesep (civil engagement 1 credit)-A
Research (5 credits)-Temporary-C
Theat. Apps.-A
Space, Place, Location (Geography)-A
Stat. I-A
Orgo. I-B

Overall GPA-3.102
My Gpa will be 3.30 after I complete research, and change my temporary C to an A.

Extracurriculars:

Shadowed a Physician (Oncologist DO)
Premed./Predent. Club (freshman year)
Vice President of a Child mentoring club called Pilot Me.
Treasurer for dorming complex. (Big part of my campus)
I volunteered over the Summer will continue next Summer at Robert Wood Johnson Hosp.
I am starting my own club called CARE in which we will assess health need of our city's community, and then set goals on raising money for things that are beneficial to them. (Working with an NGO with $3 mill. endowment)
I am going to do or have done other things. (Most likely shadow a Dentist and go on a foreign relief trip to a third world country)

All in all am I in horrible shape? I messed up freshman year. I am horrible at math courses I just panic during them. I am taking 14 credits this spring and continuing research to change the Temp. C. to an A. I also wanted to know if I should take physics over the summer? I really want to in order to graduate on time. I have never had physics, and so should I take it at a CC or Rutgers over the summer? I appreciate it, and hope to get many responses. Btw my major is Evolutionary Anthropology and minor is Nutrition.
Thank You.

Finish second semester of Ochem and take a year of physics and do well on your MCAT.

Re Physics: I don't know that you can do a years worth in a summer session but maybe at your school you can. Best to take it at Rutgers but a CC probably won't kill your chances.

You're not in horrible shape.

figure that out first
not trying to be condescending, but really, thats what you need to figure out first
althought they are both health professions, activities like being president of predent club may seem out of place on a med school application...

The only other grade they will see is a "satisfactory" for a 1 cred seminar, plus 8 or 9 credits of lab (ungraded). so... I'm not really sure what to do.

If you want schools to know that you're still interested, I'd recommend doing so in a way that helps you look good at the same time. I don't think, in your current situation, that sending an updated transcript would be the best way to go about this. Instead, why don't you send a brief update letter, describing what you've accomplished/been up to since your last correspondence with that school. Tell them what classes you're taking, what you've accomplished in the lab, what kind of volunteer/clinical experience you've recently gained. Also reinforce why you're a great fit for that school and what you have to offer them, as well as how you'll utilize the unique tools they offer their students.

If you'd like to continue this conversation, shoot me a PM any time. :luck:

i dont think youre in that bad of shape as of now. but you definitely need to do better in your science/math classes than you have done over the last couple years... whether for dent or med! in addition to what others said,

-continue to shadow a couple more DO's and try to gain more experience in the health care field. especially in primary care. get to know one well enough to write a letter of recommendation or you. almost all DO schools require a LOR from a doctor.
-if youre "CARE" program gets off the ground and running then use that to your advantage in applications/interviews. that would be a huge selling point for you. (assuming you are actually doing the work and it is "your own club") it could also make a great topic for your personal statement.

I wouldn't take any of the prerequisites at a school other than the one you are currently attending. at my VCOM interview, the interviewer told me that he often sees students take organic chemistry at community colleges and that it does not say much abou tthe applicant even if he or she gets an A. Considering you got a B in organic chemistry at rutgers, if I were you, I would continue to take the second semester or orgo and work extremely hard to get a B+ or higher. Getting a good grade in organic chemistry is one way to impress adcoms when applying to medical schools. take the opportunity to work hard and earn a good grade. good luck!

So, I had interviews w/ my favorite schools - DMU and UMDNJ. They both looked at my transcripts and said I won't need the OChem lab because of other science classes I have. I am accepted into DMU, won't know about the UMDNJ for a month yet.

I am currently enrolled in Ochem but have time to drop it. The only reason to hold back is an interview from an MD school but I feel it is too late for that. Should I drop the Ochem lab?

So, I had interviews w/ my favorite schools - DMU and UMDNJ. They both looked at my transcripts and said I won't need the OChem lab because of other science classes I have. I am accepted into DMU, won't know about the UMDNJ for a month yet.

I am currently enrolled in Ochem but have time to drop it. The only reason to hold back is an interview from an MD school but I feel it is too late for that. Should I drop the Ochem lab?

hmm. i actually thought Ochem lab was interesting. Not always fun, but usually interesting.

My opinion is that if you don't like it at all, are only taking it to get into medical school, the medical school that you are going to attend doesn't require it, then drop it. that is just my opinion if everything fits. On the same hand though if there is any chance of you getting into a school that you would rather go to and does require it I would say stick with it. Good Luck.

I agree. If you would rather attend that MD school, then take it. If you're happy with your current choice, then drop it.

hmm. i actually thought Ochem lab was interesting. Not always fun, but usually interesting.

My opinion is that if you don't like it at all, are only taking it to get into medical school, the medical school that you are going to attend doesn't require it, then drop it. that is just my opinion if everything fits. On the same hand though if there is any chance of you getting into a school that you would rather go to and does require it I would say stick with it. Good Luck.

At my school, this lab is 4 cr and a lot of work. I need to take some psych for UMDNJ so, I am thinking may be I could take that in stead. Thanks for the replies.

Ok, I am in a little bit of a trouble. Over the summer i was planning on retaking some of the chems that i have bombed through college. heres my stats, its awkward I know but when I took Chem IV i was in the hospital for 7 nights 8 days the week of finals from campylabacter poisoning which ruined my gpa HORRIBLY.

Inorganic I C-
lab B+
Inorganic II D
lab C+
Organic I B+
lab C+
Organic II A
lab A-

yeah i dunno how that happened but it happened in the inorganic chems, they rocked my world. anyways heres my issue and i need advice. I'm scheduled to graduate this semester but I need to drop this class that is a requirement for me to graduate. its a writing class at the 3k level about poetry. just so happens the teacher got her phd in poetry theory from NYU and is all about poetry. theres no way after looking at the syllabus im getting an A in this class so i need to drop it(30+ hours of reading poetry to people outside of school and 8 projects of off campus work, lady is off her rocker). there is another class i can take during the summer that will fulfill my requirement and i can still walk on graduation if i let them know im going to take the class over the summer. so i can cover my bases there. my issue is which chem do i take over, i can sign in the class because classes have began for 2 days so far and ive only missed 1 day of class in any class i choose to sign into. I could take chem IV over again BUT its only offered by the same professor that gave me the D. I could also take Chem I over again but I heard that you should not retake C's and that you should take more upper level science courses which I could also sign into. My problem is that I have heard that no medical school takes C minuses. I wouldn't mind taking chem 1 over again and i like the teacher that is teaching it but do i really have to retake a C-? I could also sign into biochemistry or molecular biology?

ok cliff notes
If med schools take C minuses should I suck it up, take CHEM IV now and then the another elective course that fulfills my requirement for graduation as well as another upper level science course OR should I take chem IV over the summer (along with other course) and an Upper level science course now.

cause if med schools didn't take C minuses im pretty sure that i would take Chem I now and then IV over the summer a long with hat required course.

my issue is which chem do i take over

you will most likely have to take both over again at some point. ALL of my acceptances have said that my matriculation is dependent upon re-taking my chems with a C or better. (because I got a C- in two of my chems)

I could take chem IV over again BUT its only offered by the same professor that gave me the D.

couldnt that be viewed as a positive? know his teaching styles and class notes right off the bat. have extra prep for quizzes and tests with your old material?

I could also take Chem I over again but I heard that you should not retake C's and that you should take more upper level science courses which I could also sign into.

i took other upper level science courses to round out my applications well but it didnt matter. they all still wanted me to re-take the C- chems

ALSO-you can still apply with your C's or D's. Some schools might not like it and will screen you out...but others will still interview/accept you. but part of the accaptance says you must retake the class with a C or better.

Ok, I am in a little bit of a trouble. Over the summer i was planning on retaking some of the chems that i have bombed through college. heres my stats, its awkward I know but when I took Chem IV i was in the hospital for 7 nights 8 days the week of finals from campylabacter poisoning which ruined my gpa HORRIBLY.

Inorganic I C-
lab B+
Inorganic II D
lab C+
Organic I B+
lab C+
Organic II A
lab A-

yeah i dunno how that happened but it happened in the inorganic chems, they rocked my world. anyways heres my issue and i need advice. I'm scheduled to graduate this semester but I need to drop this class that is a requirement for me to graduate. its a writing class at the 3k level about poetry. just so happens the teacher got her phd in poetry theory from NYU and is all about poetry. theres no way after looking at the syllabus im getting an A in this class so i need to drop it(30+ hours of reading poetry to people outside of school and 8 projects of off campus work, lady is off her rocker). there is another class i can take during the summer that will fulfill my requirement and i can still walk on graduation if i let them know im going to take the class over the summer. so i can cover my bases there. my issue is which chem do i take over, i can sign in the class because classes have began for 2 days so far and ive only missed 1 day of class in any class i choose to sign into. I could take chem IV over again BUT its only offered by the same professor that gave me the D. I could also take Chem I over again but I heard that you should not retake C's and that you should take more upper level science courses which I could also sign into. My problem is that I have heard that no medical school takes C minuses. I wouldn't mind taking chem 1 over again and i like the teacher that is teaching it but do i really have to retake a C-? I could also sign into biochemistry or molecular biology?

ok cliff notes
If med schools take C minuses should I suck it up, take CHEM IV now and then the another elective course that fulfills my requirement for graduation as well as another upper level science course OR should I take chem IV over the summer (along with other course) and an Upper level science course now.

cause if med schools didn't take C minuses im pretty sure that i would take Chem I now and then IV over the summer a long with hat required course.

It is true that many medical schools will not take C minuses in prereqs. I remember this being specifically stated in the application materials of some of the schools I applied to. Chem IV probably isn't a true prereq, but I would certainly retake it just to get rid of that C-. That said, as long as you do retake chem IV I don't really think it matters as to when you retake it.

BTW what are your overall/science GPAs? If those are still solid you may not even need to retake it (although I would still recommend it).

ahuh I see, Well my overall science GPA if I pull an A in the courses I'm in now will = a 2.6 SO I have to retake at least 2 courses and make them A's to turn the sgpa= 2.7 @ least. I will be retaking classes this semester and over the summer to bring it up. my overall will be a 3.2 and i am taking the MCAT in 9 days lol. which is why IMO, i will rock these courses because i have been doing review since Nov. 1st and I still might just void my scores as my practice test scores are in the mid-high 20's. and i could just take the MCAT may 28th after i have taken a chem course and considering im retaking chem this semester(already registered).

I just write down all my sciences courses for you guys too look at in awe and say to yourselves. "and this kid wants to be a doctor" and then get a good laugh lol

Chem I=C-
lab=B+
Chem II=D
lab=C+
Orgo I=B+
lab=C+
Orgo II=A
lab=B+
Bio I=B+
Bio II=A
Microbiology=B+
Physics I= C+
Physics II=D(same semester with campylabacter)
currently retaking)
Genetics=B+
lab=B-
Comparative anatomy=B
Seminar=B
theres more but i cant remember lol

Hey guys...
I'm about to submit my aacomoas...I'm from the
metro NYC area and so only chose DO schools that made my
'cool' list :) The 2 exceptions are OU and OSU, but I like them since
their affiliation with a research university.

Here are my schools:
-unecom (i like maine)
-tourocom (in manhattan so good for me)
-nycom(in long island...don't like that...but its close enough to the city)
-umdnj(jersey is good)
-pcom(used to live in philly...did my postbac at drexel...lived at 15th/arch)
-tucom-ca & nv (i like cali and for the nv campus...I'm a big poker player so being close to vegas is cool)
-nsu-com(not a fan of florida, but I dig the school and campus)
-ou-com(uncool place, but like its affiliation)
-osu-com(same as OU)
-western(i like cali)

I think the geographical locations of the other DO schools don't vibe
with me...location is important to me because it really affects my state
of mind...

Lets see if I get in anywhere...I also sent apps to 3 offshore schools...

About me:
-4.0/4.0 math department gpa. including my humanities, cum. gpa 3.7/4.0
-went to the #1 graduate school for applied math: 3.93/4.0
-taking mcats Jan. 31
-4.0/4.0 in my postbac:phys/gchm/ochm/bio/anat/phys
-will begin shadowing a DO after mcats

CONS:
-i'm old
-no significant healthcare exposure, which is ironic...considering my father is a doctor, my youngest is in med school, etc
-no significant volunteer exposure
-nothing really special about me that would make me stand out compared to other applicants

Do you guys think it helps to do an international volunteer project?
Like orphanage or street children work in India/Cambodia/Vietnam?

Or should I save the money and find something local?

Hey guys...
I'm about to submit my aacomoas...I'm from the
metro NYC area and so only chose DO schools that made my
'cool' list :) The 2 exceptions are OU and OSU, but I like them since
their affiliation with a research university.

Here are my schools:
-unecom (i like maine)
-tourocom (in manhattan so good for me)
-nycom(in long island...don't like that...but its close enough to the city)
-umdnj(jersey is good)
-pcom(used to live in philly...did my postbac at drexel...lived at 15th/arch)
-tucom-ca & nv (i like cali and for the nv campus...I'm a big poker player so being close to vegas is cool)
-nsu-com(not a fan of florida, but I dig the school and campus)
-ou-com(uncool place, but like its affiliation)
-osu-com(same as OU)
-western(i like cali)

I think the geographical locations of the other DO schools don't vibe
with me...location is important to me because it really affects my state
of mind...

Lets see if I get in anywhere...I also sent apps to 3 offshore schools...

About me:
-4.0/4.0 math department gpa. including my humanities, cum. gpa 3.7/4.0
-went to the #1 graduate school for applied math: 3.93/4.0
-taking mcats Jan. 31
-4.0/4.0 in my postbac:phys/gchm/ochm/bio/anat/phys
-will begin shadowing a DO after mcats

CONS:
-i'm old
-no significant healthcare exposure, which is ironic...considering my father is a doctor, my youngest is in med school, etc
-no significant volunteer exposure
-nothing really special about me that would make me stand out compared to other applicants

Do you guys think it helps to do an international volunteer project?
Like orphanage or street children work in India/Cambodia/Vietnam?

Or should I save the money and find something local?

Well your numbers are really good; however, it is very late in the application cycle. Also, you have no volunteer experience or healthcare exposure like you said. Were you in any clubs at school? Any research? Any jobs?

I would do local volunteering.

There are a few of us out here who are applying late and are trying to find out if it is a waste of time to apply so late in the game. From what I have read in this forum, 2 replies say basically, nope - too late.

I understand it's late, but there are schools STILL taking applications. In the words of Jerry Seinfeld, "What is the deal?"

There are a few of us out here who are applying late and are trying to find out if it is a waste of time to apply so late in the game. From what I have read in this forum, 2 replies say basically, nope - too late.

I understand it's late, but there are schools STILL taking applications. In the words of Jerry Seinfeld, "What is the deal?"

If you began filling out your AACOMAS today, it would not be verified for another 5+ weeks. That's March 1. In the meantime, you could have written the essays for secondary apps, since we have most of them around here. Then you could probably call schools the second you find out your primary was verified and ask them to hurry up and send your secondary email/paperwork. March 7th at least. Now you could overnight your check and signature pages for March 9th. Interviews end around April. So you might have enough time.

It's just that you have a chance of wasting a few hundred dollars, but for me personally, I'd rather spend a few hundred or even thousand (with interviews) than spend another year waiting and applying.

Best of luck everyone, and keep in mind that "What are my chances?" questions are often answered by only one or two people who have personal reasons for their opinions on these matters.

Chocolate Bear - YOU.... ARE.... AWESOME!!!
Thank you

Last edited:
I submitted my AACOMAS late and it was verified within a week.

Whoa that's awesome!! And great news!

When did you submit??

Even if you submitted on day one of the app season, it took more than 4 weeks, so I'm glad to hear that they've injected some efficiency into the process over the last 8 months. :thumbup:

Whoa that's awesome!! And great news!

When did you submit??

Even if you submitted on day one of the app season, it took more than 4 weeks, so I'm glad to hear that they've injected some efficiency into the process over the last 8 months. :thumbup:

Ok, so I just went back and looked:

It was more like 10-14 days.
I submitted 12/17
-verified by aacomas on 12/26
-secondaries took a while because of the winter break

ChocolateBear's timeline is probably more accurate.
-sorry, typed it without really thinking about it.

I didn't mean to be negative about saying it is so late. Anything is possible given the right circumstance.

I could graduate at the end of March with a 3.17 gpa from a UC school, however it took me a while to transfer to the UC school and I have a few bad grades in calculus from community college. I've been trying to find a job in a hospital, but I haven't had any luck so far. I currently have a little over 100 hours of volunteer experience and am shadowing a DO. I'm wondering if I should take one more quarter at the UC school? This could possibly raise my gpa to 3.2_. I haven't taken the MCat yet. I plan on taking it either May or later in the year.

Any advice? I was hoping to get a CNA certification to increase my chances of getting a job in a hospital, but as of right now everything is full until summer. I was interviewed for a job at the ER, but I was told they can't hire me right now, but possibly in the future. =( I'm worried about finding a job in the medical field, and don't want to work in a lab.

If you plan to go osteopathic. I wouldn't worry about raising my GPA by 0.03 points...

They're going to look at your transcript and see you still did poorly in Calculus, there is no changing that.

Instead I would take the 2-3 months break feb-may and study for the MCAT. It's a beast so definitely take your time remembering all those useless facts you'll never need to know.

Now because you wouldn't be applying till june-ish you have time to get your app stuff together, write up your CV, get your rec's in and deal with the second beast known as AACOMAS, apply as early as you can.

Honestly you can turn this into a pretty relaxing year for yourself. I'd push to get a job but would probably only work 20-30 hrs a week (unless money is an issue) and study with the remaining time. Whatever volunteer place you were doing i'd probably stop with them and try to find a different experience to volunteer at... after 100hrs at one spot it doesn't look any better on a resume lol.

Ah. Hope that helped. My brain's alittle fried from all these antibiotics i gotta remember :confused:

If you plan to go osteopathic. I wouldn't worry about raising my GPA by 0.03 points...

They're going to look at your transcript and see you still did poorly in Calculus, there is no changing that.

Instead I would take the 2-3 months break feb-may and study for the MCAT. It's a beast so definitely take your time remembering all those useless facts you'll never need to know.

Now because you wouldn't be applying till june-ish you have time to get your app stuff together, write up your CV, get your rec's in and deal with the second beast known as AACOMAS, apply as early as you can.

Honestly you can turn this into a pretty relaxing year for yourself. I'd push to get a job but would probably only work 20-30 hrs a week (unless money is an issue) and study with the remaining time. Whatever volunteer place you were doing i'd probably stop with them and try to find a different experience to volunteer at... after 100hrs at one spot it doesn't look any better on a resume lol.

Ah. Hope that helped. My brain's alittle fried from all these antibiotics i gotta remember :confused:

This is great advice. At this point focus on doing well on the MCAT.

I'm hesitant to leave my current volunteering gig at the ER because I've been told that there may be a position opening in the future. If I leave, perhaps she'd be less likely to hire for that entry level position, what do you think? I don't know where else I could volunteer and be able to interact in a hospital setting, do you? I would like to do something with an intensive care unit or observing surgery, but I don't think those parts of the hospital offer positions for volunteers. Any ideas on other places?

Hey my secondary application deadlines are coming up in march and april and i still need one more letter of recommendation. should I just submit the secondaries now?

I'm hesitant to leave my current volunteering gig at the ER because I've been told that there may be a position opening in the future. If I leave, perhaps she'd be less likely to hire for that entry level position, what do you think? I don't know where else I could volunteer and be able to interact in a hospital setting, do you? I would like to do something with an intensive care unit or observing surgery, but I don't think those parts of the hospital offer positions for volunteers. Any ideas on other places?

If you are volunteering in the ER and that is where you were interviewed for the job that may happen in the future, I don't think it is a smart move to leave. They want to see dedication. Leaving after you got a certain number of hours may look bad when you want a job from them. Just my 2-cents.

Hey my secondary application deadlines are coming up in march and april and i still need one more letter of recommendation. should I just submit the secondaries now?

Ask the schools individually if you could send in your letters after the secondaries. However, if you're getting this letter after March/April, I would honestly suggest you just save your money for next year. Good luck!