~2008-2009~"What Are My Chances/Where Should I Apply/What Should I Do" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
#1 - I would apply to DO schools, but not ALL of them. I believe some will have a 3.0 science GPA cut off and you will be throwing away your money if you submit an app to them. Research and find out which ones you will not get an auto-rejection from and then apply to those. I believe you will have a good shot and the ones that let you get your proverbial foot in the door.

So then what're my chances of getting that proverbial foot in the door? I'm not sure if my stats are borderline no chance, minimal chance, a decent chance or what. Sorry I'm a little clueless about the admission standards to most DO schools :p

So I guess safest route is for me to Apply to every school that won't auto-reject me, and apply early. Retake MCAT as well? My 2 goals are to go to Western or NYCOM (i'm from NY)

Members don't see this ad.

Did you meet with UMDNJSOM to see why they didn't send you a secondary? That is surprising to me. I would be surprised if you didn't get in-- but apply super early.

I didn't even hear a word from them all this time...could someone pass along an email address where I can reach someone? I've tried emailing them in the past to inquire about my status but I didn't get any response. :(

I didn't even hear a word from them all this time...could someone pass along an email address where I can reach someone? I've tried emailing them in the past to inquire about my status but I didn't get any response. :(

Call them, and ask that you want to speak to a counselor about why you were rejected. Their number is (856) 566-7050. The counselor will call u back in a couple of days after reviewing your file. She was helpful in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess i will post my situtaion. I got accepted to Touro NY. I was never very thrilled with the school. I applied because they were in NY, and i knew they would accept the jan mcat (so i rush the mcat and paid for it with a 26o :oops:). I have had doubt ever since i got accepted with the school. I was really turned off with the newness of the school, and really dont want to move around the area and live there for 4 year. I felt very restricted to the undeserved population by their 3yr core rotations, which is probably something i would want to do. (not a big Manhattan fan at all). I have pondered reapplying, but from many post here on SDN, it seems like a very stupid decision and looks like i should suck it up. I leaning heavily on going there, but there is a lingering despair i have when i think about going to the school. Anyone else ever been in my situation?

If i do reapply, i would apply to NYCOM, PCOM, umdnj, ccom, azcom, western, Nova, Kcom, OSU, DMU, lecom-erie, UNECOM

My EC's are Shadowed MD and DO. 2 year at a pharmarcy. Volunteered in the PMR division at a geriatric center, TA for a pre school, treasurer of a fraternity. Tutor kids in grades1-8 for NYC Cares, I am going to Volunteer at a hospital (have orientation tomorrow)

My stats are gpa 3.63, science 3.33 Mcat 26o (10p9b7v), i am very worried that even if i did reapply i have no clue how competitive i would be at some schools being OOS (NY resident). Any thoughts on my competitiveness?

I would love to go to NYCOM, which is very close to where i live. I am currently waitlisted, since their class is full and i interview late due to the late mcat. I guess this would be a moot point if i get in.

Should i apply right now just for the hell of it right now? I guess i would be willing to loose the 300 dollars even if i do decided to go to touro. I have paid my deposit for touro, so i guess i would check the matriculate box. (not sure)

Or should i just wait till late july, early august and wait for nycom and then decide on touro? This is the plan that i am currently doing and leaning towards.

Any words of encouragement? Any suggestions? I have no clue what to do and i am so confused, and it seems to be taking a toll on me.

I had a BP of 95/60 about a year ago, and thanks to mcat and applying it is 115/70, I was saving that low BP for med school :p... haha

Sorry if this is long

I know this is a common question, but I am wondering if I am wasting my time giving this a shot or not. I am a successful manager at the ripe old age of 29, but it is not what I want to for ever. I have always had a passion for medicine, human body, life sciences. So I dove back into school and have been doing great across the boards. But I have a downside-- poor first time college attempt! That first attempt marred my record with a 2.28 GPA. I went back to school 6 years later-- Over the last 3 years I have accumulated a 3.84 GPA. Science 3.79, and non 3.87. But that gets knocked down to a 3.15 GPA cumulative- !!! I still have the 3.79 science due to no science classes taken my first run at college, and a nonscience of 2.70. ( all pre-med classes done)
I have good letters of rec-- but none from a DO. My Organic Chem professor wrote me one(which I am also a tutor in), my employers wrote me one, and I have also job shadowed and assisted with a rehab director(physical therapy) in a clinic- my last LOR. I have minimal extra curriculars due to the fact that I have worked 45+ hours a week, while attending college-- I am wrapping up a Cell Biology degree w/ Chem minor (ecology, and cell bio II left to take).
My MCAT scores were OK, 10 B, 9 P, 8 V, and O essay. I am just wondering if my previous run at college ruined my chances at getting into a med school. Any insight, ideas on becoming a better applicant, anything, would be very much appreciated! Thank you all for any responses!

I know this is a common question, but I am wondering if I am wasting my time giving this a shot or not. I am a successful manager at the ripe old age of 29, but it is not what I want to for ever. I have always had a passion for medicine, human body, life sciences. So I dove back into school and have been doing great across the boards. But I have a downside-- poor first time college attempt! That first attempt marred my record with a 2.28 GPA. I went back to school 6 years later-- Over the last 3 years I have accumulated a 3.84 GPA. Science 3.79, and non 3.87. But that gets knocked down to a 3.15 GPA cumulative- !!! I still have the 3.79 science due to no science classes taken my first run at college, and a nonscience of 2.70. ( all pre-med classes done)
I have good letters of rec-- but none from a DO. My Organic Chem professor wrote me one(which I am also a tutor in), my employers wrote me one, and I have also job shadowed and assisted with a rehab director(physical therapy) in a clinic- my last LOR. I have minimal extra curriculars due to the fact that I have worked 45+ hours a week, while attending college-- I am wrapping up a Cell Biology degree w/ Chem minor (ecology, and cell bio II left to take).
My MCAT scores were OK, 10 B, 9 P, 8 V, and O essay. I am just wondering if my previous run at college ruined my chances at getting into a med school. Any insight, ideas on becoming a better applicant, anything, would be very much appreciated! Thank you all for any responses!

you should get in somewhere. i would think about retaking couple of nonscience classes over if you got an F in them. But you have a good shot if you apply broadly.

I guess I can post about my situation here as well...
Canadian, Asian (hurts much?)
Grad in microbiology
cGPA: 3.4, sGPA a little lower (not much, since most of my courses are in science)
Junior year took a nosedive, senior year (right now) is better with more A's in senior-level courses, though I still have that one C in marine biology...
MCAT: 31R: VR 8, PS 12, BS 11

ECs:
400hrs volunteering in hospital
Senior thesis
Worked in histology lab for a summer
Working in a lab in yeast, might have a publication by September
May be shadowing this summer
Not much EC's

LORS:
ok I guess. Good letter from PI (thesis and current work place), 1/2 decent letter from doc from hospital volunteering, Don't have a clue about non-science letter (maybe ask English prof? But I only got a 70 on his courses...)

Low points:
C- in virology
C+ molecular genetics
C+ marine biology (wtf?)

Any schools that I might have a shot in? I don't have a letter from a DO, of course, and being Canadian doesn't seem to help at all either...

I guess i will post my situtaion. I got accepted to Touro NY. I was never very thrilled with the school. I applied because they were in NY, and i knew they would accept the jan mcat (so i rush the mcat and paid for it with a 26o :oops:). I have had doubt ever since i got accepted with the school. I was really turned off with the newness of the school, and really dont want to move around the area and live there for 4 year. I felt very restricted to the undeserved population by their 3yr core rotations, which is probably something i would want to do. (not a big Manhattan fan at all). I have pondered reapplying, but from many post here on SDN, it seems like a very stupid decision and looks like i should suck it up. I leaning heavily on going there, but there is a lingering despair i have when i think about going to the school. Anyone else ever been in my situation?

If i do reapply, i would apply to NYCOM, PCOM, umdnj, ccom, azcom, western, Nova, Kcom, OSU, DMU, lecom-erie, UNECOM

My EC's are Shadowed MD and DO. 2 year at a pharmarcy. Volunteered in the PMR division at a geriatric center, TA for a pre school, treasurer of a fraternity. Tutor kids in grades1-8 for NYC Cares, I am going to Volunteer at a hospital (have orientation tomorrow)

My stats are gpa 3.63, science 3.33 Mcat 26o (10p9b7v), i am very worried that even if i did reapply i have no clue how competitive i would be at some schools being OOS (NY resident). Any thoughts on my competitiveness?

I would love to go to NYCOM, which is very close to where i live. I am currently waitlisted, since their class is full and i interview late due to the late mcat. I guess this would be a moot point if i get in.

Should i apply right now just for the hell of it right now? I guess i would be willing to loose the 300 dollars even if i do decided to go to touro. I have paid my deposit for touro, so i guess i would check the matriculate box. (not sure)

Or should i just wait till late july, early august and wait for nycom and then decide on touro? This is the plan that i am currently doing and leaning towards.

Any words of encouragement? Any suggestions? I have no clue what to do and i am so confused, and it seems to be taking a toll on me.

I had a BP of 95/60 about a year ago, and thanks to mcat and applying it is 115/70, I was saving that low BP for med school :p... haha

Sorry if this is long

You have an acceptance in-hand, and you're thinking about waiting another year?

In the immortal words of Darth Vader...
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tim5nU3DwIE[/YOUTUBE]

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, if you have paid the deposit to TouroCOM, you have, by the letter of the law, "matriculated" at that school. On the AACOMAS application, they will ask if you have ever matriculated to an American medical school before, and you will have some explaining to do.

Just get this show on the road. You don't want to take the ******ed MCAT again, and you sure as **** don't want to wait another year. Wait for NYCOM, and if they don't let you in, then go to TouroCOM.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, if you have paid the deposit to TouroCOM, you have, by the letter of the law, "matriculated" at that school. On the AACOMAS application, they will ask if you have ever matriculated to an American medical school before, and you will have some explaining to do.

Just get this show on the road. You don't want to take the ******ed MCAT again, and you sure as **** don't want to wait another year. Wait for NYCOM, and if they don't let you in, then go to TouroCOM.

I agree with TT. :thumbup: Just think, in 4 years it really wont matter where you went to school and you'll be done a whole year earlier.

Good Luck! :luck:

thank you in advanced, you guys are so helpful! :thumbup:

i'm a nontrad, 3.37 undergrad, 3.75 postbac gpa, my science gpa is like 3.45 or so. i've got good work experience, volunteer, etc. however, my one downpoint is no recommendation from a DO.

do i have a shot at DO schools? ideally, i'd like to go to NYCOM. thank you!

i'm a nontrad, 3.37 undergrad, 3.75 postbac gpa, my science gpa is like 3.45 or so. i've got good work experience, volunteer, etc. however, my one downpoint is no recommendation from a DO.

I didn't have a DO recommendation or shadowing and I got in. Your science GPA is higher than mine. What does your MCAT look like? If you get above a 30 on the MCAT I seriously doubt they will care whether your LOR is from an MD or a DO. The only two schools that asked me about it were LECOM-E and LECOM-B and LECOM-B offered to let me meet w/ one of their DOs on my interview day. When LECOM-E asked me about it I told them I didn't have a DO recommendation to send them and they ended up sending me an interview invite anyway.

Since some veterans are lurking I figured I'd post my current situation for any additional advice.

sGPA : 3.12
cGPA : 3.25
April MCAT: 6v/8ps/9bs = 23

-Average clinical/volunteering and LOR's, with extensive research
-Job throughout undergrad

Went from 2.4, 3.0, 3.2, 3.4, 3.56, 4.0 most recently. I hope this shows a decent upward trend. My PS touches on my motivation towards medicine at the end of my Freshman year.

Course of action: Strong PS, CNA license, and most importantly retaking MCAT 6/13. I averaged roughly a 26 on practice tests with my last 3 being 27, 27, 28.

App is nearly complete just working on finalizing PS (Textri- hope you have time to read mine for a 2nd time :oops:)

I'm applying ASAP and broadly (17 schools), leaving out Touro's (due to cutoff) and a few other instate heavy institutions. Not looking to be selective just want to succeed and get an acceptance.

Am I wasting $600 bucks applying this year? I feel like its worth a shot, but maybe I'm being unrealistic. Any thoughts?

The upward trend in your GPA is a good thing. I don't think you would be wasting your money to apply this cycle, but it might be to your advantage to retake the MCAT this summer if at all possible. Your low MCAT coupled with your low GPA is going to make it difficult for you this year, but if you can raise your MCAT, then it might not be so bad. I would study hard for the next couple of months and register for a July MCAT date. This way, you can still submit your primary application in the meantime and look forward to a higher MCAT score. Just my 2 cents. Good luck. :luck:

Your stats look good. But you still have time to shadow a D.O. and submit a letter before submitting your secondaries. Don't give up on that just yet. Find a local D.O. to shadow for about a week (or however long you can or find beneficial) and then kindly ask for a letter of recommendation toward the end. Many D.O.s are used to being asked for this sort of thing. Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)

I love D.O. schools and I'll tell you why:

They look favorably on non-traditional students such as yourself and consider more aspects of each applicant than just the MCAT and GPA. It looks as though you've tried hard for the past few years in increasing your GPA. This will be evident to adcoms that you've matured and focused more on your studies (mainly in the sciences).

I would apply to a lot of schools and see what happens. I'll bet you get into at least two. If you want to improve your application you could always try to obtain that LOR from a D.O. by shadowing first. :luck:

Hey everyone. I'm getting ready to apply to D.O schools and was wondering if I have any chance of getting in with a 22 MCAT, a 3.76 overall, and a 3.76 science. I kept busy with volunteering, research, and leadership, but nothing out of the ordinary. Also am not a URM. Thanks a lot!

apply early and you will probably get in somewhere. people have been accepted with worse stats, i'm sure. best thing to do would be to retake the MCAT in june or july. if you increase it even to a 25 you'll likely have multiple acceptances and be able to choose where you want to go to school.

make sure to look at each schools minimm MCAT before you apply or else you might end up wastin some money on schools that will automatically reject you.

apply early and you will probably get in somewhere. people have been accepted with worse stats, i'm sure. best thing to do would be to retake the MCAT in june or july. if you increase it even to a 25 you'll likely have multiple acceptances and be able to choose where you want to go to school.

make sure to look at each schools minimm MCAT before you apply or else you might end up wastin some money on schools that will automatically reject you.

Agreed on all points.

Not to sound too allopathic-boardy, but what the hell happened on your MCAT? Have you even tried taking it again? As said above, you wouldn't be the lowest score to ever get into DO school, but you're probably within a couple points--so again, as said above, studying and retaking in a couple months (July) would be a good idea.

Alright everyone, I have a quick question. back in 2003 when I entered college, I received an F in a zero credit math class (I didn't submit my transcript to them and so they made me take the lowest possible math). Being the complete ******* that I was, I just stopped going to class and subsequently received an F on my transcript. I transferred from that school and eventually (once they received my transcripts) took Pre-Calc and Calculus, both of which I received A's in.

What do you think this will do (in the eyes of an ADCOM), considering it was zero credits and therefore couldn't have any implication on my GPA? I now have a 3.7 and graduated with a BS in microbiology, so I am sure that they wouldn't think that I am a total idiot... at least I hope.

Also, do I need to enter it in aacomas?

Alright everyone, I have a quick question. back in 2003 when I entered college, I received an F in a zero credit math class (I didn't submit my transcript to them and so they made me take the lowest possible math). Being the complete ******* that I was, I just stopped going to class and subsequently received an F on my transcript. I transferred from that school and eventually (once they received my transcripts) took Pre-Calc and Calculus, both of which I received A's in.

What do you think this will do (in the eyes of an ADCOM), considering it was zero credits and therefore couldn't have any implication on my GPA?

Yes, you have to enter it in AACOMAS! Bad things will happen if you "forget" about reporting the class and don't' send in the transcript. (I'm talking loosing all eligibility to matriculate into any school and even having your degree revoked if they find out about it later on, even if you have already graduated).

Don't worry about it, you will not be looked down upon for having the F because you took other math courses and did well in them and showed improvement. I had 3 F's on my transcript (I took them all over and got A's) and I wasn't asked in detail about during my interviews. You'll be fine as long as you're honest. ;)

The adcom will see it on your transcript. It will NOT, however affect your gpa. 0/0 wont affect it one way or the other.

It might make for a funny conversation in an interview if asked about it. It would definitely stick out to me if I was looking at your transcript. I would be ready to talk about it and have a good responce to it

Hi all. I know i posted this stuff a few weeks back but i didnt really get any feedback so I figured i would try again. i am really just looking for advice on where to apply. I can only afford 10-12 schools at the moment and given my financial situation I just want to make sure I dont waste my money applying to schools that i dont have the stats for or dont like out of state students and so on.

so here it is

Science GPA :3.52
Non Science: 3.38
Overall :3.44

I have not taken the MCAT yet but have been averaging ~ 30-32.. I take it may 27th and would love something within that range but for the purpose of this post lets say I got a 26-27.(I dont see myslef dropping anymore than that.. knock on wood)

I graduated with honors from Environmental engineering. Currently doing a post bac with 9 credits so far and a 4.0. I have ~150 hours of clinical volunteering at a free clinic. ~480 volunteer hours as a soccer coach for local youth. ~160 hrs of tutoring through differnt organizations. I have participated in a bunch of diff volunteer activities but most of them have been enviornmental cleanups and science fairs- stuff like that which I don tknow if they like. Couple of scholarships. Won first place for my senior student design at states and 2nd at the national competition. Worked as an engineering intern for 4 months and as a reaserch assistant through work study for 1.5 years at my alma mater. Member of differnt organizations both premed and non premed. Officer for one of the non premed for 2 yrs. Intramurals and local sports leagues and... thats bout most of it i think. I have shadowed 2 doctors. Both family doctors. One in a private setting and the other at the free clinic I volunteer at. I have about 15 hours with each of them.

In any case.. I know I want to apply to PCOM, NOVA, CCOM, DMU,UNDMJ, VCOM. Do you guys think that with my stats I will have a decent shot at these places. I cant help but feel like I just dont stand out enough or that my non science GPA is going to kill me. any other suggestions on school that are friendly to OOS.

Also I am not american. I am colombian and speak spanish fluently (moved to the US ~14 years old). I am not stating this for the sake of URM consideration since I dont qualify (only mexicans and puertoricans) but to show that in addition of what i typed above i am a slightly differnt candidate which i figure could count for something

Be prepared for them to ask you what the **** you were thinking, and you better have a better answer than "I didn't feel like going to class"

Hey everyone. I'm getting ready to apply to D.O schools and was wondering if I have any chance of getting in with a 22 MCAT, a 3.76 overall, and a 3.76 science. I kept busy with volunteering, research, and leadership, but nothing out of the ordinary. Also am not a URM. Thanks a lot!

I was in your situation this past year and I definitely was not expecting to get in this year. Go ahead and apply if you're set on it, but like the other posters have said, gear up to retake the MCAT. I was scheduled to retake the MCAT last month, but to my surprise I was accepted to one of my top choice schools in January.

Biggest lesson learned while applying to med school: don't have any expectations, only hope. ;) (Sorry if that sounds cynical).

Good Luck :luck:

Man.. I wish I could've taken a 0 credit class..

Prion, what schools did you apply to and where did you get in? Can you help me choose schools that I have a shot at? Do you have an MDapplicants page? Thanks!

Prion, what schools did you apply to and where did you get in? Can you help me choose schools that I have a shot at? Do you have an MDapplicants page? Thanks!

Sent you a PM about my stats. ;)

I applied to 12 DO schools, interviewed at DCOM and DMU and was accepted at DCOM. The Touro's have a MCAT cutoff of 24, so they didn't offer me a secondary, but I got secondaries from every other school I applied to.

Good Luck :luck:

What do you think this will do (in the eyes of an ADCOM), considering it was zero credits and therefore couldn't have any implication on my GPA? I now have a 3.7 and graduated with a BS in microbiology, so I am sure that they wouldn't think that I am a total idiot... at least I hope.

How do you get an A in calc, but not wing-it in the lowest possible math to get a c or better? did you not take any tests either?

to be honest, I don't know. My freshman year I was in a really bad car accident, and I didn't care about anything, especially school. I wasn't badly injured, but several people were killed and it was really emotionally draining. At the time, I didn't realize the ramifications of my actions. Today, I realize how absolutely idiotic it was. I know it sounds kinda' stupid, but I am the first and only person in my family (or extended family) to even go to college, so when I first entered college I had no grasp on what it was all about.

OGPA: 3.48
SGPA: 3.31
MCAT: 29
Usual extracurriculars like research, semester of volunteer, lots of shadowing, some out of the country trips, leadership position of a club, etc.

I got no love from DO schools as I am a reapplicant. Zero interviews and applied to 4 DOs.

I am trying to narrow down some schools, which of these should I keep considering that I am NOT from those areas and have a high GPA/low MCAT:

Rocky Vista,
Pacific Northwest,
Touro COM, NEW YORK
West Virginia SOM
Pikeville, KY
Edward VCOM

Also, for schools like PCOM and LECOM with 2 branches each, would you guys recommend applying to both? I was thinking if I can't get into one then there's no luck with the other as well, is this right? Thank you all!

VCOM puts most of the emphasis on GPA and much less on the MCAT. So if GPA is your strong point, that should work in your favor there.:)

Got my April scores with a 27M (not sure what the heck happened with the writing sample). I'm hoping applying early with a 3.86 GPA 3.8 science will make up for my 8's in both science sections.

i just got off the phone with an adcom from pcom, who told me that with a science gpa of 2.96, regardless of mcat score, i will not be accepted. now i'm really worried! i have a non science of 3.7 and an overall of 3.27. my mcat is a 25, but i'm retaking in aug, hoping for a 28/29. is there no hope for me? i told her i really couldn't afford to enroll in a post bacc program, i'm working full time this next year; and she really didn't have any sympathy for that. do any of you know of schools that are more lenient on the sci gpa? i'm not applying to the touros b/c i know of their cut off.

i have a good amount of ec's, letter from an MD and a DO. and, of course, many hours of DO shadowing. any insight?

I'm trying to wrap my mind around the concept of a '0 credit class' and I just can't do it. How can a class be 0 credits to begin with???? So even if you took the course, and got an A it just wouldn't have any weight on your cum gpa or anything??? How in the world can a course be 0 credits?

Wow, I can't believe I'm finally applying. Here is my obligatory "what are my chances" post:

Grand Valley State University
Biomedical Science Major
3.44 non-science
3.17 science
3.31 overall

Dean's List x2

MCAT: ?? (I am taking it on 5/31)

Relevant Employment:

4 years of "nurse-aide" type work with chronically mentally/physically ill adults. (20 hrs/week)

EC:

-volunteered in a daycare for a local non-profit that provides housing and job-assistance to homeless, battered women with children. (40hrs)

-emergency dept. aide for MetroHealth, a local osteopathic teaching hospital (50hrs)

-observed/assisted in research project which seeks to study how blood vessels respond to androgens. (15hrs)

-coordinated activities for families and children during a campus "Family/Siblings" day (16hrs)

-shadowed/observed a general surgeon in the operating room. Observed laparoscopic cholesystectomies, Nissen fundiplications, needle biopsies, lumpectomies, and hemorrhoid/polyp removals.

-radio DJ for student radio station

-active member of a student organization which seeks to raise awareness about HIV/AIDS and structural violence.

-worked on a week-long spring break project in the poor inner city areas of Baltimore. We basically cleaned out abandoned crack houses so that they could be remodeled for moderately-low income families.

-shadowed Kent County Medical Examiner

-In August, I am going on a 15 day medical/surgical outreach trip to Peru with MSUCOM/MSUCHM students.

-In the Fall/Winter of next school year, I will be working on a physical/forensic anthropology research project at the Smithsonian and the Cleveland Museum of Natural History.

Other:

I am 28, so I am a bit older than the average applicant

My college career has had a lot of repeated courses, I started out a very bad student, but I worked hard to bring myself out of the mud.

I was in the USMC very briefly. I injured myself in training and was placed in charge (along with about 6-7 other Marines) of a platoon of 75-100 recruits who were awaiting discharge for reasons such as testing positive for drugs, psychiatric illness, criminal history, etc. In addition to administrative and supervisory duties, I provided counsel and support to young men who were going through emotionally difficult times. For example, I spoke with recruits who were dealing with depression and suicidal thoughts, coping with feelings of failure and hopelessness, dealing with the notion of returning home to non-supportive and/or abusive families, and coping with coming out as homosexual and the emotional/social consequences of doing so.

I've attended a presentation on OMM by Dr. Laura Tinning.

I've participated in informal student study sessions in the OMM lab of MSUCOM

I am thinking I may apply only DO, except for my state schools

I am a Michigan resident and my girlfriend goes to MSUCOM, and I'd really like to get in there as well.

My school list would be:

MSUCOM
CCOM
PCOM
NYCOM
KCOM
KCUMB-COM
UNECOM
DMUCOM
UMDNJ-SOM

Possible MD schools would be:
MSUCHM
U of M (long shot)
Wayne (gave no love to my best friend, or my girlfriend, so I don't know)
UIC
Drexel
Rosalind

MCAT is next Saturday, and I am getting nervous/scared. My practice scores have been all over the place: 28, 27, 33, 24, 21.

21!!!???

Does any one know about Rocky vista and Pacific Northwest's level of preference for students coming from the region? I am not from either area and wonder if I should include them.

i just got off the phone with an adcom from pcom, who told me that with a science gpa of 2.96, regardless of mcat score, i will not be accepted. now i'm really worried! i have a non science of 3.7 and an overall of 3.27. my mcat is a 25, but i'm retaking in aug, hoping for a 28/29. is there no hope for me? i told her i really couldn't afford to enroll in a post bacc program, i'm working full time this next year; and she really didn't have any sympathy for that. do any of you know of schools that are more lenient on the sci gpa? i'm not applying to the touros b/c i know of their cut off.

i have a good amount of ec's, letter from an MD and a DO. and, of course, many hours of DO shadowing. any insight?

I would retake one science class in the summer and raise it above 3.0. I would call all the schools you are applying to, because things change year by year. I am pretty sure lecom and wvsom dont have 3.0 sci gpa cutoff, but not 100%. Are sure Tourocom has a 3.0 science gpa cut off and not overall gpa?

hello there... I need some advice.

I've finished 8 semester hours of biology with lab. Problem is, one of the classes was Botany. I don't know how schools would look at Botany as one-half of the pre-req? In laying out my plan for the next 2 years, I decided to add 4 sh of Microbiology (in this coming Fall). Do you think this is wise? I'm planning to apply one year from now.

I am not sure about the botany...It is a biology so I guess it would have to count. However, I would suggest taking more biology courses so that you have a better foundation beyond intro bio courses. I personally LOVED microbio. I would also suggest an anatomy course...it will not prepare you for anatomy in med school but it won't hurt and it is a fun class!

Best of luck to you!

I second what the person above me has said.

I took botany (I sure hope you enjoyed it more then I did!), and it would have counted towards my biology admission requirement (or so I was told), but still, it *really* helped me out in the long run to take more biology classes (micro, molec cell etc). So yes, to answer your question I think it's *very* wise to add the micro credits.

Good luck! :thumbup:

lol... it was horrible.... and Im upset I only pulled a B out of it but it was INCREDIBLY boring..........unlike my zoology class which was very interesting.

Does any one know about Rocky vista and Pacific Northwest's level of preference for students coming from the region? I am not from either area and wonder if I should include them.

High regional preference for both. From what I gather, PNWU spans the NW primarily and RVUCOM preference is mostly the Plain States and Mountain West. That's just the trend - there are exceptions.

Here's my situation.

Applied for 2007 to in state school. Denied. Applied for 2008 to in state school. Denied. I am now able to apply for out of state schools (My wife will be graduating from her masters program). I want to know my odds.

06' = 9V,8PS, 8BS - 25Q
07' = 8V, 8PS, 7BS - 23P
08' = 9V, 8BS, 8BS - 25O

I'm debating on whether or not taking the MCAT again is a good option. I have pretty much tried every method of studying (self studying, Kaplan, examkrackers...etc). I feel I've thrown everything I've got at it, and I don't want to waste anymore money unless truly necessary.

Cumulative GPA - 3.62
Non-Sci. - 3.8
Sci - 3.4

Graduated in 07', BS Biology, State school.

I have average ECs. I believe my LORs are strong for the most part. I have shadowed 3 different doctors (Anes. and 2 orthopedic surgeons). I was even allowed to scrub in on a surgery. I am also awaiting a DO in my area to allow me to shadow them for a recommendation letter.

I plan on applying as soon as possible. It seems like this is truly necessary for DO schools. Tell me if I left anything out.

Give it to me straight.

You should be able to gain admission if you apply broadly. When I applied, taking the MCAT more than 3 times with no significant raise in score was a big red flag (this may have changed since they now test more than twice a year - I don't know).

Apply EARLY. Return secondaries within 24 hours. Make sure your files are complete within two weeks of sending stuff. Make sure your LORs have been received within those two weeks.

good luck.

My mdapp is in my sig. I have no idea where to apply. I can apply to 3 DO schools for free and 10 (i think) MD schools, although I really wanna be a DO. Please let me know ANY advice you can give me. Also, I have a C in O. Chem I. Should I retake it to boost my science GPA a little (I'd retake it this summer and have my grade by mid-july), or should I just save my money for the application process and hope I can get in with my sub-par science GPA?

My mdapp is in my sig. I have no idea where to apply. I can apply to 3 DO schools for free and 10 (i think) MD schools, although I really wanna be a DO. Please let me know ANY advice you can give me. Also, I have a C in O. Chem I. Should I retake it to boost my science GPA a little (I'd retake it this summer and have my grade by mid-july), or should I just save my money for the application process and hope I can get in with my sub-par science GPA?

A 28 is a good MCAT score!
:thumbup:

You're on the right track, replace a C with an A is the best way to go.
If retaking ochem would put your bcpm at 3.0 or over, do it!

Or, you could take your chances with where you're at.
(remember, if you don't get it, you have to explain this to schools when you reapply to in the next cycle)

EC's look good.

If I had your scores, I wouldnt be asking what are my chances, rather what school should I turn down. ;)

Best of luck

2009 College book posted on AACOM for those interested.