~2008-2009~"What Are My Chances/Where Should I Apply/What Should I Do" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello all... I'll make this short and sweet.

Undergrad @ university of maryland GPA: 2.786 with a small steady rise during my latter semesters. (first two years was an engineer major and never recovered from my terrible gpa)

Post Bac @ VCU: 3.88 (got a 4.0 the first semester and one B in a dumb elective with a backwards professor 2nd semester)

MCAT: scheduled July 18th (aiming for 30 or higher but lets say something goes wrong and I get a 25 lol)

LOR:
3 Grad professors and a DO hopefully

EC:
-
shadowed a nephrologist for a summer
- shadowed a general practitioner for a winter
- rescue squad in high school
- volunteered at a hospital for 70 hrs
- shadowing a DO cardiothoracic surgon this summer
- Researching Melatonin in GI tract
- Public Relations Officer for a large student organization (MSA)
- mother and brother are MD's if that helps any haha

So do I have a shot? I am going to apply everywhere I can. I probably wont be able to have everything sent until mid august when my MCAT scores come out. Your thoughts and advice will be MUCH APPRECIATED.

Thanks so much and I love this site!

Members don't see this ad.

lol... it was horrible.... and Im upset I only pulled a B out of it but it was INCREDIBLY boring..........unlike my zoology class which was very interesting.

Normally, I'm REALLY good at studying stuff I find uninteresting/irrelevent, because "you have to do it" bla bla bla yadda yadda yadda.

But man...I COULD NOT bring myself to get interested in botany. Seriously. I think I wound up aith a C+? :eek:

I just remember sitting there studying for a test thinking "...oh come on wtf. I don't need to know anything about my coffee...I just want to drink it. Forget it. I'm done". and just going out insted.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think it would count, but you should take more bio anyway

What is your overall GPA, including undergrad and post-bac?

Its hard to tell with no info about your MCAT, but if you do well on it, I think you give yourself a chance. You're kind of a weird, borderline applicant like I was. I got shut out in my home state, I got interview invites from some MD schools, and rejected pre-secondary at some DO schools.

A 25 on your MCAT may not be enough. People have been successful with numbers like that, but it might take as much as a 30.

Like I said, it is really tough to tell what someone is going to think about your application. Your post-bac performance suggests that you've got your **** together now, but is that enough to outweigh the numbers?

Apply broadly, and get your **** in early. Like yesterday.

What is your overall GPA, including undergrad and post-bac?

Its hard to tell with no info about your MCAT, but if you do well on it, I think you give yourself a chance. You're kind of a weird, borderline applicant like I was. I got shut out in my home state, I got interview invites from some MD schools, and rejected pre-secondary at some DO schools.

A 25 on your MCAT may not be enough. People have been successful with numbers like that, but it might take as much as a 30.

Like I said, it is really tough to tell what someone is going to think about your application. Your post-bac performance suggests that you've got your **** together now, but is that enough to outweigh the numbers?

Apply broadly, and get your **** in early. Like yesterday.

If I calculate both gpa's, I come up to be a 2.97. I don't think I will be able to get my applications complete for another month because I am waiting for recomendations to come in - not to mention MCATs. Ehh... if I have to wait another year, I might just go to the carribeans.

Is it smart to apply to 20 schools and hope that one of them sees potential in you? I mean I'll probably have a better chance if I apply to more schools rightA

Is it smart to apply to 20 schools and hope that one of them sees potential in you? I mean I'll probably have a better chance if I apply to more schools rightA

i would try my best to get the science gpa above 3, a high mcat can offset a low gpa, 28ish, can help you a lot. Apply to your state school also.

Okay, I want to apply to some instate allopathic and osteopathic schools here in IL. Two schools I'm looking at in particular are the University of Illinois and the CCom in Downers Grove. It's out of state but I've heard from friends that Kirksville (ATSU/KCOM) was great when they visited. I'll be visiting all three schools before the end of this summer.

When I apply, I won't have finished Organic I or II. I'm taking those my senior year. I plan to take the MCAT in the spring (Early/Middle of May 2009). I plan to get past the orgo. in the MCAT by hiring a priv. tutor up here. I'll be starting with him sometime in July and having at least 2 sessions/week ... for all the MCAT topics.

When I apply, I'll have a science GPA of at least 3.57.
Overall GPA I'm expecting to be 3.6 or higher
I expect to do well on the MCAT, I'm a very good test taker, so lets say I get a 32P or higher.

I majored in Psychology (cause I like it)... and have a complete minor in Law Enforcement and Justice Administration.

My ECs and other stuff:
- I shadow an MD who will write me an LOR (he's family practice doc and he recently graduated from U of I).
- I also shadow a DO pathologist who is a member of the board here at our rural district hospital. I spend time with him but he also sets me up to shadow some other docs. He'll also write me an LOR...

Clubs and other stuff:
- Student Honors Association
- Student Government (elected to a "Senate" position... our school has 13,500 undergrad. and grad. students and I'm one of five people)
- NAACP (Nat'l Association for the Advancement of Colored People)... I'm a white kid, too and I was asked by their president to serve as the Vice President. it's a position I'm honored to have... but I think it's also (being Caucasian) a good thing to list in my applications... maybe schools will be impressed by a commitment to diversity?

Employment: Worked at a Walgreens Pharmacy as a pharmacy technician... have met thousands upon thousands of patients through this experience and have learned a lot more than I ever wanted about insurance and the health care industry in general. Also learned a lot about drugs, at least their indications, dosing, etc. especially in my studies for the CPhT exam.

How do you think I'd fair if I applied to the schools listed above a year from today with all of these stats and ECs, etc. on my applications?

You seem fine I guess. If you get anywhere above a 26+ on mcat and get solid grades in organic then you should be fine. While the organic isn't "hard" on the mcat, I have a hard time believing a private tutor would really do much good. Its kind of tough to cherry pick information since it is a method of viewing things. It isn't strict memorization. Also, the MCAT is not your standard feel good multiple choice test. If a person has a high college gpa then they are usually ok test takers, but this is just a different test. I don't know. There are still a lot of variables. Get the stuff done and then come back. At this point there is no use really guessing. It is tough to say about anything...if you have the personality of a rock then all the ECs in the world won't save you sometimes. I suggest saving the "what are my chances" till you have some more of the key components.

Or you could at least put it in the "what are my chances" thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
So far, you look pretty solid for most DO schools, and your state schools. But you haven't taken a lot of your pre-requisites or your MCAT yet.

Just keep taking care of business and you'll get in somewhere. You'll probably have some nice options.

is there anywhere that has the average gpa and mcat for each school.

Probably on each school's website, but a lot of that data can sometimes be old. I think its been like 3 years since PCOM updated theirs.

The MSAR has it listed for each school. The OMCIB has it listed overall but I'm pretty sure it doesn't specify by school. It does show you which schools have early admittance programs and what those requirements are but I don't reemember them having the actual stats like the MSAR has but I could be wrong.

The MSAR has it listed for each school. The OMCIB has it listed overall but I'm pretty sure it doesn't specify by school. It does show you which schools have early admittance programs and what those requirements are but I don't reemember them having the actual stats like the MSAR has but I could be wrong.

The MSAR only includes allopathic schools.

I used to look at www.medschoolready.com.

Its not as pretty as other sites but it does help a bit. This site gives information for both Allopathic and Osteopathic schools. It also shows your chances for in-state/out-of-state interviews or acceptances.

I agree, if you keep up your pace, you'll have some great options. Don't underestimate the MCAT; be certain you're scoring approximately 20% higher on practice tests to stay on-mark for your desired final score. Being a good test taker surely helps but I, for one, had to work diligently to surpass the 30 mark. I also took the paper-based test more than once. Best of luck. :thumbup:

Okay, I want to apply to some instate allopathic and osteopathic schools here in IL. Two schools I'm looking at in particular are the University of Illinois and the CCom in Downers Grove. It's out of state but I've heard from friends that Kirksville (ATSU/KCOM) was great when they visited. I'll be visiting all three schools before the end of this summer.

When I apply, I won't have finished Organic I or II. I'm taking those my senior year. I plan to take the MCAT in the spring (Early/Middle of May 2009). I plan to get past the orgo. in the MCAT by hiring a priv. tutor up here. I'll be starting with him sometime in July and having at least 2 sessions/week ... for all the MCAT topics.

When I apply, I'll have a science GPA of at least 3.57.
Overall GPA I'm expecting to be 3.6 or higher
I expect to do well on the MCAT, I'm a very good test taker, so lets say I get a 32P or higher.

I majored in Psychology (cause I like it)... and have a complete minor in Law Enforcement and Justice Administration.

My ECs and other stuff:
- I shadow an MD who will write me an LOR (he's family practice doc and he recently graduated from U of I).
- I also shadow a DO pathologist who is a member of the board here at our rural district hospital. I spend time with him but he also sets me up to shadow some other docs. He'll also write me an LOR...

Clubs and other stuff:
- Student Honors Association
- Student Government (elected to a "Senate" position... our school has 13,500 undergrad. and grad. students and I'm one of five people)
- NAACP (Nat'l Association for the Advancement of Colored People)... I'm a white kid, too and I was asked by their president to serve as the Vice President. it's a position I'm honored to have... but I think it's also (being Caucasian) a good thing to list in my applications... maybe schools will be impressed by a commitment to diversity?

Employment: Worked at a Walgreens Pharmacy as a pharmacy technician... have met thousands upon thousands of patients through this experience and have learned a lot more than I ever wanted about insurance and the health care industry in general. Also learned a lot about drugs, at least their indications, dosing, etc. especially in my studies for the CPhT exam.

How do you think I'd fair if I applied to the schools listed above a year from today with all of these stats and ECs, etc. on my applications?

Are you all sure about this?

It was my understanding that you needed 8s.h. of biology as:

Biology 1 w/lab
Biology 2 w/lab
8cr total.

This makes sense because this is what is covered on your MCATs...

If you don't take bio 1 and 2, you better be damn sure to have a good response when the adcoms ask you what you were thinking and how botany has prepared you for medical school over an introductary biology course...

I'm curious what your other course was to fulfill the 8 hour requirement...

------------

I reread your post. sorry.
You better check with your university, i'm pretty sure you can't take microbiology without fullfilling the introductory series first...

Probably on each school's website, but a lot of that data can sometimes be old. I think its been like 3 years since PCOM updated theirs.

Yea. That is kind of upsetting, i'd like to see how current students are stacking up as DO schools are getting more competitive as well, and PCOM is one of the better schools out there...

You're headed to the branch campus if I remember correctly, right texas?

Okay, so here's my deal... Reapplying this year (despite an acceptance for 2007 class) and trying to decide where to apply. Although I had no trouble getting in despite a VERY VERY late (Dec!) application, I am now worried that not having gone when I did get in will reflect negatively on me.

(Why is a long story... family issue, traumatic issue for son making moving not such a good idea. Son's in college now and things are fine.)

Anyhow, here are my stats and criteria...

Stats: Non-Sci ,3.54 Sci 3.56, Cumm 3.55
MCAT: 26N

I am trying to look at:

1) Where my husband will be able to find work or attend graduate school when he joins me a year later;

2) Someplace that actually has stuff to DO (or at least nearby) for those small opportunities when I have a break;

3) Someplace that's not a freaking desert! (No NV, AZ, Yakima); and

4) Prefer to be near water

Not opposed to a newer school so long as you can get financial aid (saw that grad plus loan wasn't possible someplace..)

Given this criteria, what would be YOUR top ten pics?

Yea. That is kind of upsetting, i'd like to see how current students are stacking up as DO schools are getting more competitive as well, and PCOM is one of the better schools out there...

You're headed to the branch campus if I remember correctly, right texas?
yes I am headed to Atlanta.

I agree, if you keep up your pace, you'll have some great options. Don't underestimate the MCAT; be certain you're scoring approximately 20% higher on practice tests to stay on-mark for your desired final score. Being a good test taker surely helps but I, for one, had to work diligently to surpass the 30 mark. I also took the paper-based test more than once. Best of luck. :thumbup:

thanks a lot!

I have a VERY limited amount of $$$. Does anyone know which schools apply the fee waiver to secondary apps.? Sorry if this question was already asked, but I want to apply to as many DO schools as possible without spending all my money and not having enough to get to interviews:D

Okay, so here's my deal... Reapplying this year (despite an acceptance for 2007 class) and trying to decide where to apply. Although I had no trouble getting in despite a VERY VERY late (Dec!) application, I am now worried that not having gone when I did get in will reflect negatively on me.

(Why is a long story... family issue, traumatic issue for son making moving not such a good idea. Son's in college now and things are fine.)

Anyhow, here are my stats and criteria...

Stats: Non-Sci ,3.54 Sci 3.56, Cumm 3.55
MCAT: 26N

I am trying to look at:

1) Where my husband will be able to find work or attend graduate school when he joins me a year later;

2) Someplace that actually has stuff to DO (or at least nearby) for those small opportunities when I have a break;

3) Someplace that's not a freaking desert! (No NV, AZ, Yakima); and

4) Prefer to be near water

Not opposed to a newer school so long as you can get financial aid (saw that grad plus loan wasn't possible someplace..)

Given this criteria, what would be YOUR top ten pics?
I think you are correct to think about the acceptance last year. Be sure to do a search regarding "matriculation" and read definitions regarding that word. I would also call your schools and explain your situation and ask if it will be a problem. You may have an awful lot of explaining to do.

As for your questions, it depends on what "to DO" means. Does that mean hiking? walks on the beach? or do you need NYC style night life? Some people think DMU has things "to DO", others don't. And how close does "to DO" need to be? walking distance? 10 minutes away? 30? one hour? Water. Cold? Warm? Surfing or ice fishing? Ocean water, lake water, or river? Or not matter?

I think if you look at the aacom site and do a little google search, your questions will be better answered. But it seems like MSU, PCOM (has rivers in PA), LECOM, OUCOM, UNECOM, LECOM (both campuses), and the california schools would do for starters. Might be better off saying which ones would *not* work (KCOM, TCOM, OSUCOM, RVU); not sure what LMU-DCOM is like. I think there are other new schools starting up for c/o 2013... but I'm not sure what those are off hand. Anyone know for sure?

I think you are correct to think about the acceptance last year. Be sure to do a search regarding "matriculation" and read definitions regarding that word. I would also call your schools and explain your situation and ask if it will be a problem. You may have an awful lot of explaining to do.

As for your questions, it depends on what "to DO" means. Does that mean hiking? walks on the beach? or do you need NYC style night life? Some people think DMU has things "to DO", others don't. And how close does "to DO" need to be? walking distance? 10 minutes away? 30? one hour? Water. Cold? Warm? Surfing or ice fishing? Ocean water, lake water, or river? Or not matter?

I think if you look at the aacom site and do a little google search, your questions will be better answered. But it seems like MSU, PCOM (has rivers in PA), LECOM, OUCOM, UNECOM, LECOM (both campuses), and the california schools would do for starters. Might be better off saying which ones would *not* work (KCOM, TCOM, OSUCOM, RVU); not sure what LMU-DCOM is like. I think there are other new schools starting up for c/o 2013... but I'm not sure what those are off hand. Anyone know for sure?

For clarification, I did *not* matriculate at any school (got the acceptances in succession, and declined the spots) but you're right... it's going to be tough. On my TX apps, they have a "special circumstances" section and although a (very, very) touchy subject, I decided to go ahead and explain that at the time of my acceptance, my son had entered therapy for issues relating to uncertainty relating his sexual orientation. I just couldn't couldn't commit to uprooting him until I knew he was okay. (He'd been engaging in self-harm due to feelings of guilt.) :( While I am not sure how folks will respond, I figured it best just get it out in the open.

Thanks for your suggestions on the schools. I think what I am expressing is a need not to be totally isolated...I'd like to be able to get to a mall as well as movies, music, nice eating places (w/i 30 mins) and be a couple of hours from outdoor activities (e.g., could be skiing, beach, tubing, etc...) Although I have the descriptions from the AACOM book, not having visited some of these places makes assessing whether these things are available a little difficult.

Hm. Have you looked at the Q&A about COM schools thread? Doesn't have every school, but it has a handful. I hear KCOM is in the middle of nowhere, don't know about WVSOM. Then again, you'll hear folks say UNE is in the middle of nowhere, but you have Portland 17 miles away, the beach right on campus, playhouses in Ogunquit, Kennebunk for the artisans, etc. etc. I can't imagine, however, that any school would be far from movies, eateries, some kind of outdoor activity even if it's hiking/walking. I know when I was looking at schools I used mapquest a lot to see what was close by and then found webpages about cultural activities/outdoor activities around those areas.

Hope your son is doing better. I think that is a perfectly reasonable explanation for not having attended school when offered, but they may ask questions about the stability of the situation and your commitment. (I was quite frank in saying my family was my first priority but they were 100% behind my attending med school.)

Botany is a good support course to show your interest in science, and it will count toward your calculated science GPA when you are ready to apply. You will still need to take 2 full semesters of introductory biology for the vast majority of medical schools.

There are subjects covered in second semester biology that may not get the same emphasis in botany. You begin to look at genetics, populations et al things which is key. Make sure both semesters have a lab. Other bio courses after that depend on your major and your own personal interests. Good Luck OP.:thumbup:

Many schools make a point of saying NOT botany. Plans bore the hell out of me....unless they have special effects.

If I were you I would look into taking Genetics and Physiology and/or Micro. Anatomy is a great class to take but it won't help you on the MCAT, if you are still interested in taking it, you can take it after you destroy the MCAT. I only took BIO 1000 and then decided I would take more advanced BIO classes like Genetics, Micro, Physiology, and cell bio. I was never questioned about it and I only completed 1 Bio lab, you should be fine with Botany as long as you continue with more difficult Bio classes.

I agree with the above-- take some more human related biology...

Although Cell Bio was friggin snoooooze boring... ugh. My instructor was very sweet, but he talked like the guy on Ferris Bueler's Day off... Bueler.... Bueler...

Although Cell Bio was friggin snoooooze boring... ugh. My instructor was very sweet, but he talked like the guy on Ferris Bueler's Day off... Bueler.... Bueler...

Ha Ha... I just listened to an interview with Ben Stein and he is as boring in real life as he is in the movie, although very educated. Yeah Cell Bio is boring but essential to the MCAT, sometimes you gotta take one for the team.

Ha Ha... I just listened to an interview with Ben Stein and he is as boring in real life as he is in the movie, although very educated. Yeah Cell Bio is boring but essential to the MCAT, sometimes you gotta take one for the team.

Oh no! Couldn't imagine someone being like that in real life... then again there is my Cell Bio instructor, so not that far fetched.

True, Cell Bio did help on MCAT-- but I had a hard problem concentrating in class with all the snoring and all in the 150+ people auditorium. I even sat in the 2nd row as to not be distracted/make fun of all the snoozers, but they have no shame. They were sleeping right in front of the professor, I was a little embarrassed for him...

How do schools calculate the cost to attend? PCOM starts at ~4,000, most schools are around $25,000 it seems, but UMDNJ is ~$50,000. Why is there such a great disparity?

OMG, my cell bio was intense! Our professor, who I really liked, didn't use any sort of notes, or a book for that matter. Everything that we learned was from his lectures which were from his head (he had a syllabus he did loosely follow). Nobody could sleep in my class or do anything other than copy every single thing that he wrote on the overhead throughout the class while recording the lectures to listen to while you were going over the notes.

I went a little crazier that semester

OMG, my cell bio was intense! Our professor, who I really liked, didn't use any sort of notes, or a book for that matter. Everything that we learned was from his lectures which were from his head (he had a syllabus he did loosely follow). Nobody could sleep in my class or do anything other than copy every single thing that he wrote on the overhead throughout the class while recording the lectures to listen to while you were going over the notes.

I went a little crazier that semester

That is crazy, I can't imagine not having a book to refer to. Must have been some intense note taking going on.

Here are my stats:

3.0 overall
2.6 science
3.5 Nonscience

21N few years ago, 27N (8PS,9V,10BS) April this year.

Strong LOR, Publication in top4 journal. Working in research at a top medical school. Volunteer at hospital. No shadowing but I interact with doctors at my work all the time and can watch a few procedures. (We do clinical type surgeries in large animals though)

Lots and lots of undergraduate credits. Crappy grades in pre-med's (all C's except physics which were A's, retook orgo's and got C's).

Already have the AACOMAS app almost completely filled out except for the personal statement which I need to write. Applying to the top 4 Caribbean MD schools as well.

From NY, would love to go to NYCOM.

Not sure if I should:
1) Apply now to almost all the DO schools. (that my sGPA isn't cutoff for)
2) Wait and retake MCAT in July / August??
3) Apply for Carribbean and just go since I have no shot at DO schools...
4) Retake pre-med classes apply again next year?? <-rather not
5) Do a SMP and re-take mcat/re-apply? <- not very likely since I'm getting old

Confused.. and just really wanna start on my medical career =/

Bumping for some more responses, since I have no idea how competitive I am with my GPA's.

That science GPA is brutal. I am pretty sure that a lot of schools are going to have a big problem with it. Can you re-take some stuff to get it up a little?

Everything else is good.

If you're not re-taking, you're going to have to apply to a lot of places.

How do schools calculate the cost to attend? PCOM starts at ~4,000, most schools are around $25,000 it seems, but UMDNJ is ~$50,000. Why is there such a great disparity?
You'd have to go and see what they put into their COA, but there is a huge disparity depending on the cost to live in the area. Tennessee: CHEAP. Maine/NY: EXPENSIVE.

My intro bio classes which i think both counted toward the required 8 semester hours were biodiversity I (zoology) and biodiversity II (botany)....i didnt have any problems with those filling the requirements.................but i also had a lot of upper level bio courses/electives that med schools may have looked to for the credits...who knows

Ya know...looking back...I never took bio II

Humph.

Many schools make a point of saying NOT botany. Plans bore the hell out of me....unless they have special effects.

I've noticed, if a DO school mentions it they mention that 1 Botany course counting towards science reqs is ok, but NOT both. Truthfully you're probably fine with what you have (depends on the schools you're looking at). Taking more science now depends on what you're trying to do. I'd make sure you have at least BIO 1 (don't know what your other Bio class you took is). Now if you're going to also apply MD take BIO II. If you just want to be the strongest possible candidate take BIO I, BIO II, and Genetics. And if you just aren't sure about the botany and want to pad the resume with extra BIO (some schools require 12 Bio credits) take whatever interests you as you are more probable to get a good grade.

Hello,

I am a Social Welfare from UW-Madison applying this cycle. My Science GPA is 3.73 and Overall is 3.83. My MCAT is 10 B, 10 P, 9 V, R. I believe I will have good LORs and my ECs include long term Medical and non-Medical Volunteering, Research Assistant, Tutor, Nanny, Student Org. stuff, etc.

My concern is that I do not have a LOR from a DO, just an MD. I am also applying to many mid tier MD schools and I really want to go to allopathic school but I do like the osteopathic philosophy and in my Personal Statement I talk about how my Social Welfare major and experiences have drawn me to a holistic view of medicine. I have a vary wide range of experiences; all that reflect the multidimensional view of thinking in osteopathic medicine...

I should also mention that I am 19 and I know that usually DO schools are receptive to non-trad applicants that are older but I guess I'm an unconventional young applicant.

Anyway, any and all of your feedback is welcome!

Thank you :p

I posted this in the pre-MD forum, but since I'm also applying to DO schools, I figure I should ask the question here, too.

I'm just curious because I will be getting one, but does anyone here know or saw the content on the committee letters? Does the letter go into specific/detailed information about the applicants like "So and so received a score of 25 on the first MCAT because (insert reason), and improved to 35 because (insert reason)..." or does it contain more generalized statements. Also, how deep into your academic performance does the committee letter touch on? Does it also go into specific information by discussing numbers?

I'm assuming that it gives more generalized statements about why the applicants did so well or did not do so well in certain areas; since the schools will get to see MCAT scores and transcripts anyway, so it isn't so effective to be too specific, correct? I remeber reading somewhere that one of the most popular formats of the committee letter is to make quotes from all of the LORs that the applicants have from professors, doctors, supervisors, etc., as a thrust to drive the letter. Anyone here care to shed some light on this issue? Thanks!

I think that if you improve 10 points on your MCAT, they won't really care why. They'll just assume it wasn't your day the first time, and maybe ask you about it on your interview. Or maybe not.

My concern is that I do not have a LOR from a DO, just an MD.
Don't worry about this.
I am also applying to many mid tier MD schools and I really want to go to allopathic school but I do like the osteopathic philosophy and in my Personal Statement I talk about how my Social Welfare major and experiences have drawn me to a holistic view of medicine. I have a vary wide range of experiences; all that reflect the multidimensional view of thinking in osteopathic medicine...
It's great that this is what attracts you to medicine, but holistic/philosophic/multidimensional medicine is what good MDs practice as well. DO marketing states a philosophy that only bad MDs disagree with.

Good reasons to pursue DO include:
- more schools in more locations to choose from
- interest in OMT
- interest in community medicine (vs. academic)
(note that "community medicine" is not the same as "primary care")

I should also mention that I am 19 and I know that usually DO schools are receptive to non-trad applicants that are older but I guess I'm an unconventional young applicant.

Not that you asked, but if there's any way you'd consider going out and experiencing the world, earning a living and growing independently, for a couple of years before you start medical school, you'll be in better shape to enjoy your medical career.

Best of luck to you.