~2008-2009~"What Are My Chances/Where Should I Apply/What Should I Do" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys maybe you could provide some help for me as well.

MCAT 26P
9v 8p 9b

cum gpa 3.75
bcpm 3.8

florida resident

leadership in a club, worked full time through college, volunteer with a couple of MDs and one DO, volunteered in ER for ~200 hours. Research with two paid fellowships. thanks for the time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone,
Ok so i am a junior and my science GPA is 3.4 and my cumulative is 3.49
i took my mcat a month ago and got a 23 on it :(
i have A LOT Of extensive experience...over 300hrs of volunteer, Health career summer program, recommendation from DO, recommendation from a doc's office where i currently work (MD), board member for organ for donation, job experience at a hospital as well and i will also be gettin a committee letter from school!

i cannot decide if i sud retake the MCAT because I have been hearing all sorts of things....
the earliest i can take it is july8..sud i take it then? what if i cant get my score to get high? also, my advisor keeps tellin me that its too late and that july and aug test dates are very problematic...
i REALLY do not want to take a yr off..
do u think i can get into any DO school?
PLEASE HELP!!!!

Hello Everyone,
i have A LOT Of extensive experience...over 300hrs of volunteer, Health career summer program, recommendation from DO, recommendation from a doc's office where i currently work (MD), board member for organ for donation, job experience at a hospital as well and i will also be gettin a committee letter from school!

i cannot decide if i sud retake the MCAT because I have been hearing all sorts of things....
the earliest i can take it is july8..sud i take it then? what if i cant get my score to get high? also, my advisor keeps tellin me that its too late and that july and aug test dates are very problematic...
PLEASE HELP!!!!
You answer your own question right there. I would retake that sucker and apply if I were you.

Members don't see this ad :)
for DO schools the july mcat is not too bad, i actually would think about taking it in august and make sure you do well. Plenty of student have gotten in after taking the august mcat. For allopathic schools the jully/august mcat is considered late. I personally took the january mcat and i got in somewhere this year. I would more worry about getting the score up. You will be fine. hope this helps

Hi Everyone,

I just got my MCAT results and posted on the "What are my chances...." thread, but wanted to post a new thread cause I really want to get as many opinions on what I should do next?

Just to recap:
Cum GPA: 3.18
Non-Science: 2.99
Science: 3.82

Had a 2.69 first time around (mix of B/C, some Ds and a few Fs). 7 years later, 3.73 Masters program. Last 2 years, 4.0 (60 semesters units) in all science pre-reqs and upper division (biochem/physio). I believe my ECs are very good and great LORs.

MCAT: 26Q (9P,6V,11B)

So should I......

1) Apply broadly on 6/1 and hope for the best.
2) Take MCAT again 6/13 (not much time to review)
3) Take MCAT again 7/8 (too late?)

If I retake, do I need to put that on my app or can I just submit my scores later? And do all DO schools take most recent scores or avg? I'm trying to get opinions on the pros/cons of taking it again vs. applying as early as possible. I'm leaning towards option 1 cause I don't want to take it again, but that "6" is making me reconsider.

yea i m def gonna retake it
but which schools should I apply to?

if you fill you app now, and state on your app that you are retaking the test and submit it, you should be fine at pretty much any school. Some school like pcom, nycom, umdnj, msu are not OOS friendly which might make it harder for you if you are out of state (and didnt apply early)+. But if you really like the school, i would still apply

BTW: Do not take in july 8 if you feel you are not ready. the last thing you want to do is get the same score or go down a point. Any time through august is fine. I would not worry about getting in right now, and worry more about the mcat take it one step at a time. You should also get some love from your state school despite taking the mcat late.

An August test date is fine. Now that the MCAT is given so often there is not the same time pressure that there used to be. Just make sure that you are prepared to take it. Five years ago, when there were only about 6,000 DO applicants, a 23 could have gotten you a lot of interviews. Last year there were 12,000 applicants....so it's much harder these days. Yes, you might get in, but with a better score you might be able to have a choice of where you want to go. Being able to make a choice is well worth it.

I just checked my MCAT scores and got a 27L. Bio 10, verbal 9, and physics 8. I don't believe that I'm that bad of a writer and I'm pretty sure I stayed on topic. My advisor told me that I should retake, but I was very happy about my other scores, especially bio. I need advice on what to do. I go to a top 20 school, have a 3.6 gpa and 3.3 science gpa. Do I still have a chance at DO school. Any advice?!?! Thanks.

Scored a J here, still gained many acceptances, Allo and Osteo....

Hello Everyone,

PLEASE HELP!!!!

If you don't want to take a yr off, then retake it and apply. Apply to a large range of schools. Do you just want to go DO? If not, then also apply to allo schools (ignore the stat stuff they post on that forum). With your stats, you should get in somewhere, allo or osteo (choose your school well), as long as your people skills are okay. Most importantly, APPLY EARLY!!!!! (caps for emphasis only)

Members don't see this ad :)
BTW: Do not take in july 8 if you feel you are not ready. the last thing you want to do is get the same score or go down a point. Any time through august is fine. I would not worry about getting in right now, and worry more about the mcat take it one step at a time. You should also get some love from your state school despite taking the mcat late.

I agree. Good advice.

Hi Everyone,

I just got my MCAT results and posted on the "What are my chances...." thread, but wanted to post a new thread cause I really want to get as many opinions on what I should do next?

Just to recap:

Had a 2.69 first time around (mix of B/C, some Ds and a few Fs). 7 years later, 3.73 Masters program. Last 2 years, 4.0 (60 semesters units) in all science pre-reqs and upper division (biochem/physio). I believe my ECs are very good and great LORs.

So should I......

If I retake, do I need to put that on my app or can I just submit my scores later? And do all DO schools take most recent scores or avg? I'm trying to get opinions on the pros/cons of taking it again vs. applying as early as possible. I'm leaning towards option 1 cause I don't want to take it again, but that "6" is making me reconsider.

I think you should do 1 and 3. Get your app out there, nice and early, then follow it up with an MCAT booster. I think you can apply your 7/3 score to your 6/1 app once it is released, so you might as well get the ball rolling in your favor

Hi Everyone,

Just to recap:

So should I......

Definitely get your app in early. You have good numbers, yeah, the GPA may be "low," but you have a great upward trend and its clear that you changed from the first year of school years ago, so I don't think it will hinder you too much. If you want to take the MCAT again, you can, but you do have to report any and all offcial MCAT scores within the last 3 years. Your right in that you have a spread of section scores, but you might be OK. It will not hurt you to get your app out ASAP and retake, but definitely get the app out. Applying early is a big advantage.

This will limit some of your options. I know UNECOM doesn't offer secondaries to applicants that have less than an M for writing.

An August test date is fine. Now that the MCAT is given so often there is not the same time pressure that there used to be. Just make sure that you are prepared to take it. Five years ago, when there were only about 6,000 DO applicants, a 23 could have gotten you a lot of interviews. Last year there were 12,000 applicants....so it's much harder these days. Yes, you might get in, but with a better score you might be able to have a choice of where you want to go. Being able to make a choice is well worth it.

I had no idea that it doubled! Now I feel even better for having gotten in!

Also, when the test was on paper it was only offered April (?) and Aug, and I took the August with plenty of other people that were using it to apply for that year, and back then it took longer to get your results also!

You will be fine with a July or Aug MCAT as long as you have your app done and just mark that you will have another MCAT. Some schools may even offer you an interview with your old score.

the writing section of the MCAT is a joke. No one looks at it. It's a waste of time and meant to tire you out before the final section.

Definitely get your app in early. You have good numbers, yeah, the GPA may be "low," but you have a great upward trend and its clear that you changed from the first year of school years ago, so I don't think it will hinder you too much. If you want to take the MCAT again, you can, but you do have to report any and all offcial MCAT scores within the last 3 years. Your right in that you have a spread of section scores, but you might be OK. It will not hurt you to get your app out ASAP and retake, but definitely get the app out. Applying early is a big advantage.
I agree, and am one of those who didn't listen to this advice last year. I applied late and although I got interviews from all the nine schools I applied to, it was so late in the cycle that lots of potentially great applicants (myself included, I've been told three times at three different schools) didn't make the cut due to the lateness in the season. Nascardoc is right. Don't be like me and be limited to hanging on for dear life late, late, late in the cycle and hoping against all hopes that you get in by the skin of your teeth. GOOD LUCK AND I HOPE YOU FULFILL YOUR DREAMS!!!:luck:

Thanks ATrain/nascardoc. If I retake in July and state that in my app. How will this affect my application process? Will they continue to process, send secondaries, etc or just put my app on hold. I heard that with allo schools they will wait til they get my new scores to process. And do all the DO schools take the most recent scores into consideration?

Thanks!

Here are my stats:

3.0 overall
2.6 science
3.5 Nonscience

21N few years ago, 27N (8PS,9V,10BS) April this year.

Strong LOR, Publication in Journal of Clinical Investigation, Working in research at a top medical school. Volunteer at hospital. No shadowing but I interact with doctors at my work all the time and can watch a few procedures. (We do clinical type surgeries in large animals though)

Lots and lots of undergraduate credits. Crappy grades in pre-med's (all C's except physics which were A's, retook orgo's and got C's).

Already have the AACOMAS app almost completely filled out except for the personal statement which I need to write. Applying to the top 4 Caribbean MD schools as well.

From NY, would love to go to NYCOM.

Not sure if I should:
1) Apply now to almost all the DO schools.
2) Wait and retake MCAT in July / August??
3) Apply for Carribbean and just go since I have no shot at DO schools...
4) Retake pre-med classes apply again next year??
5) Do a SMP and re-take mcat/re-apply? <- not very likely since I'm getting old

Confused.. and just wanna start on my medical career =/

Here are my stats:

3.0 overall
2.6 science
3.5 Nonscience

21N few years ago, 27N (8PS,9V,10BS) April this year.

Strong LOR, Publication in Journal of Clinical Investigation, Working in research at a top medical school. Volunteer at hospital. No shadowing but I interact with doctors at my work all the time and can watch a few procedures. (We do clinical type surgeries in large animals though)

Lots and lots of undergraduate credits. Crappy grades in pre-med's (all C's except physics which were A's, retook orgo's and got C's).

Already have the AACOMAS app almost completely filled out except for the personal statement which I need to write. Applying to the top 4 Caribbean MD schools as well.

From NY, would love to go to NYCOM.

Not sure if I should:
1) Apply now to almost all the DO schools.
2) Wait and retake MCAT in July / August??
3) Apply for Carribbean and just go since I have no shot at DO schools...
4) Retake pre-med classes apply again next year??
5) Do a SMP and re-take mcat/re-apply? <- not very likely since I'm getting old

Confused.. and just wanna start on my medical career =/

#1 - I would apply to DO schools, but not ALL of them. I believe some will have a 3.0 science GPA cut off and you will be throwing away your money if you submit an app to them. Research and find out which ones you will not get an auto-rejection from and then apply to those. I believe you will have a good shot and the ones that let you get your proverbial foot in the door.

Hello Everyone,

PLEASE HELP!!!!

I think it is possible to get into a DO school in your position. But what were your averages on your practice tests? If they were way above a 23, you might want to give yourself a chance to show the adcoms what you are really capable of.

As far as i know i think biology requirements mean. bio 1 and bio 2 just like ochem 1 and ochem 2.

The more I research this the more I think this is NOT the case. The local college I'm taking my pre-reqs at stated it should be General Bio, this is why I was concerned.

I then looked back at my UG college and their Pre-med route consists of Intro to Human Bio, 1 Year of A&P, Cell Bio, and Genetics. They offer General Bio, but no where is it recommended on Pre-med/vet/dental. Determining which you go they also suggest Pathophys, Animal Bio, etc. but no General Bio for non-bio majors.

My UG college also has a higher rate of acceptance to Med School than my current Post-Bacc College. Just some food for thought, though as many have said I'm sure it is better to double check with a phone call or two though it seems you SHOULD be in the clear.

I just checked my MCAT scores and got a 27L. Bio 10, verbal 9, and physics 8. I don't believe that I'm that bad of a writer and I'm pretty sure I stayed on topic. My advisor told me that I should retake, but I was very happy about my other scores, especially bio. I need advice on what to do. I go to a top 20 school, have a 3.6 gpa and 3.3 science gpa. Do I still have a chance at DO school. Any advice?!?! Thanks.

I got an L as well and got into all five of the osteopathic programs I applied to. You will be fine.

"General" Bio does not mean the same as "Introductory" Bio. "General" means that most members of a group are included-- things like micro, genetics, cell, etc.

That said, keep in mind that introductory courses are all you really need. The MCATdoesn't test you on anything more than what you'd find in introductory biology major courses. And, your med school will teach you all you need to know about specifics.

As far as i know i think biology requirements mean. bio 1 and bio 2 just like ochem 1 and ochem 2.

My school didn't have "Bio 1 and bio 2"

I ended up taking bio 120 (The science of biology) and bio 220 (biodiversity). Biology 220 was in no way a continuation of things learned in bio 120.

I think the reason the requirement is vague is because every school handles their course names and content differently.

Stats: 3.94 GPA, 3.89 Science GPA.
MCAT-20 (6,6,8) P (Retaking July 10).
Lots of extracurriculars, President of Fraternity, member of Nationally Recognized Collegiate Bass Fishing Team, over 1000 hours working as a Phlebotomist, etc.

What should i do? Interested in Lincoln Memorial-Debusk, West VA, Edwards via VA, Philadelphia at GA, Nova SE.

Any advice taken gladly.

All my info can be seen on my MDapps page on the left... (GPA 3.37/3.19 MCAT 31R)

Changes to my MDapp include:
Employee for lab testing corporation. Regularly work with human blood products.
100+ hours volunteering in my local hospital in transport
Observed several orthopedic surgeries in the OR
Volunteered under a pathologist and have seen some gross dissection and some biopsies (liver, thyroid). Hopefully, getting in an autopsy before AMCAS deadline.

Applying to: UMDNJ COM
NYCOM
PCOM
UNECOM
DMU
KCUMB
CCOM
LMU-DCOM

Looking to add more schools with lower GPA/MCAT cutoffs. This is my third year so I really need an acceptance.

[GVIDEO]Hello Everyone,

PLEASE HELP!!!!

i am a chicago resident! which schools sud be easier for me to get into? where sud i apply?
also where can I look up stats and compare different schools..the booklet on the website does not show the stats for specific schools.
PLEASE HELP!!!
ANY help is highly appreciated! I am freaking out and I feel like I have no chance of getting in ANYWHERE :(
I am DEFINITELY takin the exam in JULY....also any tips on how to raise my score?

Tips on how to raise your score: practice. Especially verbal, if it is weak. VR should be 10 free points if you prepared properly.

[GVIDEO]Hello Everyone,

PLEASE HELP!!!!

i am a chicago resident! which schools sud be easier for me to get into? where sud i apply?
also where can I look up stats and compare different schools..the booklet on the website does not show the stats for specific schools.
PLEASE HELP!!!
ANY help is highly appreciated! I am freaking out and I feel like I have no chance of getting in ANYWHERE :(
I am DEFINITELY takin the exam in JULY....also any tips on how to raise my score?

I'm not sure about easy schools to get into as a chicago resident. I do, however, know that I got a 23 on my mcat AND i took it in August (with no other previous score). I still got into my top school. My GPAs were both 3.6, so not much higher than yours. I think you have enough time to study and raise your score. I hear that exam krackers are really good books if you don't use those already. Apply to a lot of schools (>10) and you should be okay.

Tips on how to raise your score: practice. Especially verbal, if it is weak. VR should be 10 free points if you prepared properly.

I can't beleive I'm agreeing with Tex on something, but verbal is about reading and prepping. LSUALEX(?) is the best example of that.

All my info can be seen on my MDapps page on the left... (GPA 3.37/3.19 MCAT 31R)

Changes to my MDapp include:
Employee for lab testing corporation. Regularly work with human blood products.
100+ hours volunteering in my local hospital in transport
Observed several orthopedic surgeries in the OR
Volunteered under a pathologist and have seen some gross dissection and some biopsies (liver, thyroid). Hopefully, getting in an autopsy before AMCAS deadline.

Applying to: UMDNJ COM
NYCOM
PCOM
UNECOM
DMU
KCUMB
CCOM
LMU-DCOM

Looking to add more schools with lower GPA/MCAT cutoffs. This is my third year so I really need an acceptance.

Did you meet with UMDNJSOM to see why they didn't send you a secondary? That is surprising to me. I would be surprised if you didn't get in-- but apply super early.

I can't beleive I'm agreeing with Tex on something, but verbal is about reading and prepping. LSUALEX(?) is the best example of that.

Guess those free points somehow got away from me. I thought I prepped well since Jan. Had I gotten those freeebies, I would've gotten a 30 :(

i think verbal is kind of unfair.... if you happen to read slowly, you are screwed. you could totally grasp all the questions and understand the passages, but the fact that you read slow pretty much disqualifies you from doing well since you have to read quite a lot in a short period of time

call the admissions office and get a direct response from someone who is paid to know what they are talking about. why take any chances? get a definitive answer. it will take 5 minutes.

here, i even looked up the phone number for you. 941-756-0690

:laugh::laugh: thanks, I only saw this now so I'll have to call tomorrow. Do I have to give me name or can I just ask an anonymous general question to whoever answers the phone?

:laugh::laugh: thanks, I only saw this now so I'll have to call tomorrow. Do I have to give me name or can I just ask an anonymous general question to whoever answers the phone?

they usually request home phone, address, and social security. the lady aslo asked for my credit card number....i thought it was weird at first, but ended up giving it to her anyway....

just kidding. they dont ask any personal questions, you just say "hey i have a question about your biology requirement." you will likely be transferred one or two times, but eventually you will talk to the right person, haha.

That's actually the point of verbal: to test your ability to interpret new information quickly. With 30 more minutes on that section, nobody would miss a single question.

they usually request home phone, address, and social security. the lady aslo asked for my credit card number....i thought it was weird at first, but ended up giving it to her anyway....

just kidding. they dont ask any personal questions, you just say "hey i have a question about your biology requirement." you will likely be transferred one or two times, but eventually you will talk to the right person, haha.

:laugh::laugh:thanks; if you gave your credit card number, i was going to send you an e-mail about needing someone to take over my uncle's bank account in India; and once you gave me your bank account and security codes so i could transfer the money I'd offer to split the money with you 30:70. :D

Hooten.

Last edited:
only schools that care at all about your writing score are canadian MD programs, so you are fine

This will limit some of your options. I know UNECOM doesn't offer secondaries to applicants that have less than an M for writing.

Is that a joke? I'm surprised by that considering how asinine the writing section is.

OP-I got an M (though granted, an 11V) and got into CCOM and DMU.

Stats: 3.94 GPA, 3.89 Science GPA.
MCAT-20 (6,6,8) P (Retaking July 10).
Lots of extracurriculars, President of Fraternity, member of Nationally Recognized Collegiate Bass Fishing Team, over 1000 hours working as a Phlebotomist, etc.

What should i do? Interested in Lincoln Memorial-Debusk, West VA, Edwards via VA, Philadelphia at GA, Nova SE.

Any advice taken gladly.

Seems Like the only issue is the MCAT. Before you retake it in July make sure you are scoring 3 points above your target score on practice tests (I say that because on test day nerves can hurt you.) If you didn't use a Kaplan course or something like it try that. If you are not near your target score on practices don't take the MCAT. Even if it will mean taking a whole year off to study for MCAT's, it will allow you to make sure you are accepted in to the school of your choice.
I hope you are accepted to the school of your choice. Good Luck!!!:luck::luck::luck::luck:

Since some veterans are lurking I figured I'd post my current situation for any additional advice.

sGPA : 3.12
cGPA : 3.25
April MCAT: 6v/8ps/9bs = 23

-Average clinical/volunteering and LOR's, with extensive research
-Job throughout undergrad

Went from 2.4, 3.0, 3.2, 3.4, 3.56, 4.0 most recently. I hope this shows a decent upward trend. My PS touches on my motivation towards medicine at the end of my Freshman year.

Course of action: Strong PS, CNA license, and most importantly retaking MCAT 6/13. I averaged roughly a 26 on practice tests with my last 3 being 27, 27, 28.

App is nearly complete just working on finalizing PS (Textri- hope you have time to read mine for a 2nd time :oops:)

I'm applying ASAP and broadly (17 schools), leaving out Touro's (due to cutoff) and a few other instate heavy institutions. Not looking to be selective just want to succeed and get an acceptance.

Am I wasting $600 bucks applying this year? I feel like its worth a shot, but maybe I'm being unrealistic. Any thoughts?

You may have a shot to get in somewhere but with your current stats it will be an uphill battle. Have you looked into retaking some of your freshman year courses. You want the science GPA 3.3+ and cum. GPA 3.5. Work on the MCAT score. Practice tests give you a 4 point range of where you could score. Averaging a 26 you could score 24-28 on the real MCAT. Have you been taking a Kaplan course or anything similar to that. That may help as well by giving you a little structure to your studying. If you have the money to apply try you have nothing to lose but the money. If I were applying I would still work to get that GPA up too. Take some basic 100 level courses in many different fields with good professors. Take some medical school science courses additional to pre-med courses ( Microbio, cellbio, Anatomy and Physiology, Biochem, Genetics, etc.. Don't take them all at once.) These courses (100 level courses) are usually easier and will hopefully allow you to get into the A range. It also can be used to show admissions committees that you have broad interests. I hope you are accepted to the school of your choice. Good Luck!!!!:luck::luck::luck::luck:

That's actually the point of verbal: to test your ability to interpret new information quickly. With 30 more minutes on that section, nobody would miss a single question.

yea i guess i see what you are saying.

What did your advisor say about the 8 in physical science?