2008 or 2009?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stephMT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a Medical Technologist but realize I really want to be a pharmacist. I first planned on applying for fall 2008 but I was starting to think 2009 might be better after reading how much more beneficial early applying is.

I recieved C's in my organic classes and am going to take Ochem 1 this summer and my PCATs in June. My cousin trains pharm tecs for a local grocery store so I can easily get some experience in a pharmacy.

I graduated in June from MT program and got a 3.94 and a 3.6 from my most recent degree, but only a 3.0 from my first bach degree (didn't really work too hard back then)

So I will have ochem and Pcat scores by the end of the summer and some pharmacy experience (still gotta work as an MT for the money) but I am wondering if you guys think that waiting another year and getting more experience and ochem 2 in would help me out more.

I am kinda new to all of this so any suggestions would be helpful. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you should wait until 2009. The worst that can happen is that you won't get in for 2008, but you will never know unless you apply. Besides, some schools favor reapplicants. You can start getting some pharmacy experience now...take the PCAT in June, so that if you need to retake it, you can sometime in October. You can apply around that time and still be early. Most schools did not receive my application until late January.

KellyBean's right- I don't think you lose anything by applying early. If nothing else, you can re-take OChem during the 2007-2008 school year. You may be more competitive than you realize right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, there. I'm an MT too. I was going to apply this year but since I want to take care of financial issues first, I think I'm going to try to get into the 2009 class instead. Let's face it, pharmacy school (or just going to school) is time consuming and expensive, so I 'd like to be financially stable by the time I start.

If you can get that pharmacy experience, that's great. :thumbup: I spoke to my advisor about getting some pharmacy experience by working as a pharm technician (at least PRN or part time anyway since I am a full time MT)...but he told me that I really didn't need to since I have hospital experience. Instead, he suggested that I shadow a pharmacist. I have yet to speak to someone about that.

I don't think it would hurt if you apply this year for 2008. Was your other degree a bachelor's also (the one with a higher GPA)? If it was, then that's good. You could also wait and see what you make on the PCAT before you decide to apply.

Good luck!!! :)

The application period for 2008 won't start until after the summer. Pharmcas will be opened in june -july why wait until 2009? I think you got time and you can apply for 2008

thanks everybody for the help...I think I am going to try for 2008, what could it hurt right? I am just glad to see that others think it is possible and I'm not kidding myself.

Opal, I am glad to hear that your advisor told you that working in a pharmacy wouldn't be required since you already work in a hospital. I know I can get into one to work or shadow but I was worried that I wouldn't get enough experience in one to make me competitive since I gotta work MT full time.

Guess my next step with be studying for those PCATs!

thanks everyone, good luck!

I'm also a Med Tech and I am applying Fall 2008. I'm taking the pcat in June and August. I plan to apply by October 1st or so. I have a Bachelor's degree in Biology and have been working as a med tech since june 2005 at the VA. I also got C's in my organic classes so I will probably take them over. I have to take a Statistics class too since it was not required for my Biology degree. I have almost 4 years pharmacy experience in a retail environment and I'm hoping to shadow a little bit here at the VA to get "clinical" experience. I am applying to the same school where I received my med tech degree and a few of my recom letters will come from there so I hope that increases my chances. I say go ahead and apply in 2008. You have both June, August and even October if you need to get a good Pcat score so go for it! Good Luck!

The PCAT is offered in August now?

Glad to see some med techs around here! :)

Steph: I had the same concerns too about getting some pharmacy experience. When I brought that up to my advisor, he just said to shadow pharmacists since I already used to dealing/communicating with other healthcare providers (nurses and physicians, alike). But I still want to see what it's like to work in a pharmacy, and do a little more than shadowing.

The manager of the pharmacy at the hospital where I work dropped by at the lab today. He said that I should work for him after I get through with school. I told him that I have to get accepted first. LOL!

PharmChick007:You work at the VA? I did my clinicals at the VA in Louisiana. Very nice facility. It would be great if you can get a job there as a pharmacist when you get through.

Anyway, good luck to everyone!

The manager of the pharmacy at the hospital where I work dropped by at the lab today. He said that I should work for him after I get through with school. I told him that I have to get accepted first. LOL!

That would have been a wonderful opportunity to gt a Letter of Recommendation....... ;-)

Best of luck to ya.