2008 Tax Rebate Question

Started by blondemed
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

blondemed

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Will I get a rebate? I turned 24 in April 2008 and am a full-time medical student. I earned ~$3,000 last summer as part of a research stipend and filed taxes as an independent. My parents have not claimed me as a dependent for 2+ years. From my google searching, it seems that 1) the age 24 is significant in terms of determining dependent status and 2) even if your parents do not claim you as a dependent BUT you still qualify as a dependent by IRS definiton you will not get a rebate. What's the verdict?
 
Only thing you should worry about is where to spend the $600 🙂

If you're still concerned, here is an IRS website that'll guide you through step by step to see if you're eligible. http://www.irs.gov/app/espc/