2008 VCU/MCV Central

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone...Just dropping in to wish everyone good luck! I was the third to the last person accepted off of the waitlist this year (July 18th) so I know a thing or two about the waiting process at VCU. I'm from CA, so if anyone has any specific questions about the West-East coast move, etc, feel free to ask.

In addition, if anyone has any questions about admissions, etc, feel free to PM me, though I see that Instatewaiter has already been answering a lot of questions. He helped everyone out quite a bit last year as well.

I know the waiting can get to you (believe me, I REALLY understand that) but it is early in the process, so try to relax a bit and keep busy. And last but not least...don't give up.
:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone...Just dropping in to wish everyone good luck! I was the third to the last person accepted off of the waitlist this year (July 18th) so I know a thing or two about the waiting process at VCU. I'm from CA, so if anyone has any specific questions about the West-East coast move, etc, feel free to ask.

In addition, if anyone has any questions about admissions, etc, feel free to PM me, though I see that Instatewaiter has already been answering a lot of questions. He helped everyone out quite a bit last year as well.

I know the waiting can get to you (believe me, I REALLY understand that) but it is early in the process, so try to relax a bit and keep busy. And last but not least...don't give up.
:luck:

This is random nka, but when I toured at MCV the tour guides mentioned that the last person accepted gets a scholarship (via an alumnus). Is that true? If so, and that's you, how much is it? Was it worth being the last person accepted? Do people give you crap for it? And do you tell them to go to hell because everyone's on equal footing and you get money?

Yes there is a scholarship, no they dont give you **** (generally those who get in last are not at the bottom of the class. A person in my class who got in late in june is at the very, very top) and NKA was third to last.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, Instatewaiter is right...I didn't get anything, I was third to the last. I don't know how much it is, nor do I know who got it this year. I don't think anybody would give the person a hard time though, people in class are generally very friendly and easygoing.

Sorry, missed the "third to last" part and just saw "last." Yeah, isn't the point of the scholarship that the guy who made it happen was accepted last but finished first or something?

Just got back in town from my interview. I am VERY impressed with MCV! It definitely seems like the type of community I want to be part of.
There were actually only 5 of us who interviewed, which made the tour and the lunch with the med students really intimate :thumbup:

FYI: pretty cool 2hr video about the VCU community http://www.vcu.edu/itsvcu/

Good luck to the rest of yall! :)

Just got back in town from my interview. I am VERY impressed with MCV! It definitely seems like the type of community I want to be part of.
There were actually only 5 of us who interviewed, which made the tour and the lunch with the med students really intimate :thumbup:

FYI: pretty cool 2hr video about the VCU community http://www.vcu.edu/itsvcu/

Good luck to the rest of yall! :)

Just a random note...a few M1's were feeling a little silly post exam 2 this week, and were considering running down the street yelling "I can't take the pressure!" the next time they saw the interviewees. LOL.

Seriously though, good luck with VCU. I too was very fond of MCV following my interview, and I am very happy here now.

Just a random note...a few M1's were feeling a little silly post exam 2 this week, and were considering running down the street yelling "I can't take the pressure!" the next time they saw the interviewees. LOL.

Seriously though, good luck with VCU. I too was very fond of MCV following my interview, and I am very happy here now.
haha!! that would have been awesome :D

okay, so that status change today completely scared the crap out of me! They arent allowed to give acceptances for another few weeks, so naturally it must be a rejection :scared: Thank God it's only an Interview Survey *phew*

btw, is there a loophole to Virginia's strict residency status requirements?
(if not, does anybody from VA want to marry me for a few years?? :laugh:)

I'm guessing they are getting either a lot of apps or just really busy this time of year. I'm still waiting for post secondary decision

haha!! that would have been awesome :D

okay, so that status change today completely scared the crap out of me! They arent allowed to give acceptances for another few weeks, so naturally it must be a rejection :scared: Thank God it's only an Interview Survey *phew*

btw, is there a loophole to Virginia's strict residency status requirements?
(if not, does anybody from VA want to marry me for a few years?? :laugh:)

From what I've heard, the only way to become a resident is to live and work in VA for two years while NOT attending school. They're pretty strict about it, so I just try not to look at my bills to hard, lol. It was a little overwhelming to realize that I have over $20,000 in loans from the first semester. That's more than I built up during my entire undergrad.

Ugh, I have a test in an 1.5 hours, guess I should get moving. I hope people start getting good news soon. Good luck everyone.

I'm guessing they are getting either a lot of apps or just really busy this time of year. I'm still waiting for post secondary decision

I really hope it's the latter since more applicant = less chance of getting accepted. I was also completed before August and still, no replies post secondary! Gotta keep the faith!

I think they'll give ya an invite...I have similar stats, with similar EC's, and same undergrad =) I was complete around 7/14ish, and I just interviewed there 9/10. So here's to hoping you get an invite soon! :thumbup:

I got an interview at SUNY downstate but had not yet received a VCU secondary so I called. The VCU admissions staff has been the nicest and most accommodating yet - the same nice lady spoke with the assistant Dean who put my request through.
  • Called 3pm 10/5
  • Secondary received 6pm 10/5
  • Secondary completed 8pm 10/5
  • Vague not-rejection update received 6pm 10/6
    • After hours of scanning, I finally came across this thread and now I know that not only am I not being rejected- I should be so lucky as to have received this update as quickly as I did.
    • Thank you caliboy07 and Instatewaiter
      • You guys rock
Therefore, if you haven't received a secondary after a 6 week hold for scores- call them.

:hello:Question- Regardless of ADCOM lack of confirmation, is it fair to speculate the following?

Higher Interview Priority - "The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. There is another increase in the applicant pool this year, but we are trying to get all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible. Please watch for an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date."

"Daydreamer2008-many who get this message get interviews a few days/weeks after."

Medium Interview Priority - "The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are able to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail."

Lower Interview Priority -
"The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

"
LT2-and don't count yourself out either. i received an email very similar to that and it was followed by an interview invite a couple of weeks later... good luck!"

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok, so I just got a status update from VCU. I've already interviewed.

Here's what it says:
The Admissions Committee has met to discuss your file. Your application is being placed on hold for action at a later date. We anticipate making offers October 15, December 15, February 1, and March 15.

You will receive no further communication from us concerning your hold status. The next status change will be to offer you a position in the class, to notify you that you have been placed on the alternate list in mid-March, or to notify you that the Committee will no longer be considering your file.

We thank you for your interest in our school.

So, this basically means nothing right. They could waitlist, accept, or reject me at this point right?

Hey Jolie...when did you interview?

I interviewed toward the end of last month....I'm not sure if I should expect to hear anything on 10/15 or not since I haven't rec'd that msg you mentioned

any thoughts?

Hey Jolie...when did you interview?

I interviewed toward the end of last month....I'm not sure if I should expect to hear anything on 10/15 or not since I haven't rec'd that msg you mentioned

any thoughts?

They probably should. When I was there, they mentioned that every Monday the ad com meets to score the applicants they interviewed from the previous week. So I think everyone who has interviewed up until this past friday should be scored, and the top scorers will be accepted. Everyone else's app will be deferred to the next acceptance batch.

Hmmm...I have been complete at VCU since the end of August and I have heard NOTHING, which I am fairly certain means no one has read my application yet. I know that others have experienced similar delays on this thread. Do you think it's worth giving them a call to find out what is going on, or is it better just to wait until after the October 15th rush? I am getting a little anxious...

Might as well give them a call.

Does anyone have an interview set up for tommorrow?

Hmmm...I have been complete at VCU since the end of August and I have heard NOTHING, which I am fairly certain means no one has read my application yet.

LMAO. I don't want to hear it...I've been complete since July 26th and still no word. I have called twice in the last 2 weeks. The last call told me that I was "checked out for review" and should hear something this week. RRRIGHT. :(

ok, so I just got a status update from VCU. I've already interviewed.

Here's what it says:
The Admissions Committee has met to discuss your file. Your application is being placed on hold for action at a later date. We anticipate making offers October 15, December 15, February 1, and March 15.

You will receive no further communication from us concerning your hold status. The next status change will be to offer you a position in the class, to notify you that you have been placed on the alternate list in mid-March, or to notify you that the Committee will no longer be considering your file.

We thank you for your interest in our school.

So, this basically means nothing right. They could waitlist, accept, or reject me at this point right?

so they emailed you to tell you there was a change or did it just show up on your status page?

so they emailed you to tell you there was a change or did it just show up on your status page?

If something changes on your status page, the computer system automatically emails you.

So after 2+ months of waiting I FINALLY got an update from VCU!

"The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further...Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year..." etc.

C'mon, you know you want to interview me VCU!!! :D Show me some love!!! :love:

so i finally got that email...the one say that a decision will be made on either 10/15, 12/15, etc...

are you all excited for monday?

it's funny...i keep trying to convince myself that i won't be hearing anything...thus...no disappointments haha

well g'luck all

so i finally got that email...the one say that a decision will be made on either 10/15, 12/15, etc...

are you all excited for monday?

it's funny...i keep trying to convince myself that i won't be hearing anything...thus...no disappointments haha
well g'luck all

I've been trying to pretend that monday is only a normal day and not the beginning of the true craziness :eek:

when did you interview? I'm getting nervous b/c I interviewed but still have not received that email...

I've been trying to pretend that monday is only a normal day and not the beginning of the true craziness :eek:

when did you interview? I'm getting nervous b/c I interviewed but still have not received that email...

I interviewed toward the end of september....i'm still not sure if it's a good or bad thing to have rec'd that email

lately, the word "hold" has taken a whole diff. meaning, and since this email says "your app will be held for action at a future date"...i'm a tad concerned

I got the ominous message not too long ago, and I got accepted two days ago. I think they send that message to everyone once they have made a decision. They said that they will be sending an email on Monday.

Good luck to you all!

Have a great day.

I was there to meet with some researchers. They told me afterwards.

They said they would be sending the email on Monday, so since I was there already they wanted to tell me in person.

does anyone know if VCU just looks at your app in order of completion or if they give priority to reviewing IS apps?

I just wanted to wish you all luck with your interviews and the looooong waiting process. I went through it all last year and I finally got in around the middle of June. Don't get in a panic if you are waitlisted because about half of the class comes from that very special list. MCV is a great school and I am so glad to be a part of it. I saw several of you during interview time and I remember looking back as I was here getting my masters and waiting for an answer, and thinking I just don't think I could go through this again seeing people in there white coats and just wondering if I was going to make the cut, but I did and even though the process is trying at times, well most of the time, once you get that call it is awesome. So hang in there, don't give up and you will get to be really close to people on the SDN, they will be your lifeline. If you have any questions or just need a pep talk let me know.:)

I just wanted to wish you all luck with your interviews and the looooong waiting process. I went through it all last year and I finally got in around the middle of June. Don't get in a panic if you are waitlisted because about half of the class comes from that very special list. MCV is a great school and I am so glad to be a part of it. I saw several of you during interview time and I remember looking back as I was here getting my masters and waiting for an answer, and thinking I just don't think I could go through this again seeing people in there white coats and just wondering if I was going to make the cut, but I did and even though the process is trying at times, well most of the time, once you get that call it is awesome. So hang in there, don't give up and you will get to be really close to people on the SDN, they will be your lifeline. If you have any questions or just need a pep talk let me know.:)

Thank you :)

hopping on the bandwagon of anticipation! hope we hear good news on Monday. :luck:

:thumbup::thumbup: I second that. Try to relax, try to have fun, and good luck everyone. After a summer of waiting, I was accepted on July 19th, and now I'm here at VCU finishing Biochem and Genetics, and getting ready to start Anatomy. Keep your spirits up if you get waitlisted, and congrats if you get an acceptance email. Also, just fyi...unless something has changed at VCU, there computer system won't update and send out an acceptance email until 603pm ET, so don't get disappointed when you don't hear anything all day. Kinda goofy that I know that, but I spent a lot of afternoons staring at my inbox.
And one last word...your fellow SDN'ers will become your lifeline at some point...play nice. Boundthapn and I were some of the last accepted, and we all tried to hang in there and be supportive for everyone else.

Good luck on Monday, everyone. And if you have any questions, feel free to PM me, or post here.:luck:

I know they don't generate the waitlist till much later in the cycle (~March or so)....so come 10/15, will we either receive an acceptance, rejection, or simply no notification at all since the WL comes later? Someone who is destined for the WL will only hear some news at one of the other designated decision dates right (12/15, 2/15, etc...)?

I hope i'm understanding this correctly...just like to know.

thanks

I know they don't generate the waitlist till much later in the cycle (~March or so)....so come 10/15, will we either receive an acceptance, rejection, or simply no notification at all since the WL comes later? Someone who is destined for the WL will only hear some news at one of the other designated decision dates right (12/15, 2/15, etc...)?

I hope i'm understanding this correctly...just like to know.

thanks

From my understanding, that is not the case. You can, in fact, get a waitlist this 10/15. They said that your numerical score (after post interview evaluation) will determine your position on the waitlist, but this score won't change throughout the cycle. As more people get placed on the waitlist, they will either end up above you or below you based on their score. It's been a while since my interview, so I might have forgotten some details.

From my understanding, that is not the case. You can, in fact, get a waitlist this 10/15. They said that your numerical score (after post interview evaluation) will determine your position on the waitlist, but this score won't change throughout the cycle. As more people get placed on the waitlist, they will either end up above you or below you based on their score. It's been a while since my interview, so I might have forgotten some details.

Officially, VCU has no waitlist until March 15th. On 10/15, you can either here that you were accepted, you were rejected, you are "on hold until a later date" or nothing at all. What VCU does is give you a priority score and, as long as they don't give you a terrible score, put you on a list. When the differenct acceptance dates come around (10/15, 12/15, etc.) they choose how many people they want to accept at that point, and take that many people off the top of the list. The nice thing is that you could be taken off the list at any time during the year, the bad part is that you can be left hanging all year.

Officially, VCU has no waitlist until March 15th. On 10/15, you can either here that you were accepted, you were rejected, you are "on hold until a later date" or nothing at all. What VCU does is give you a priority score and, as long as they don't give you a terrible score, put you on a list. When the differenct acceptance dates come around (10/15, 12/15, etc.) they choose how many people they want to accept at that point, and take that many people off the top of the list. The nice thing is that you could be taken off the list at any time during the year, the bad part is that you can be left hanging all year.

that rings a bell now. thanks :)

do they tell you a numerical score, and respectively ur chances? :oops: or is it a secret?

It's a secret, unfortunately. They're pretty closed-mouth about it.

So for those of us who got that "hold" email about being offered acceptances on 10/15, 12/15...etc, does that mean we aren't rejected?

So for those of us who got that "hold" email about being offered acceptances on 10/15, 12/15...etc, does that mean we aren't rejected?

I think it's safe to say that you weren't flat out rejected. In other words, you didn't get a really bad committee score, because if you had they would have most likely sent a rejection email rather than the "on hold until a later date" status change that many have received at this point.

hey everyone, last year i went through this whole process and this is how it worked out for me: i interviewed mid September and received the same "hold" email. I then didnt hear anything after that until march 15th when i found out i was waitlisted. so if you dont hear anything this round it doesnt mean you were rejected, it just means your priority score wasnt high enough to get in for this particular round of acceptances. needless to say, i am going through the whole process again. i interviewed mid september, again, and i am holding my breath until 6pm tonight... good luck to all of you who are waiting along with me!