2008 VCU/MCV Central

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will be pulling for you!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck:thumbup:
hey everyone, last year i went through this whole process and this is how it worked out for me: i interviewed mid September and received the same "hold" email. I then didnt hear anything after that until march 15th when i found out i was waitlisted. so if you dont hear anything this round it doesnt mean you were rejected, it just means your priority score wasnt high enough to get in for this particular round of acceptances. needless to say, i am going through the whole process again. i interviewed mid september, again, and i am holding my breath until 6pm tonight... good luck to all of you who are waiting along with me!

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone, last year i went through this whole process and this is how it worked out for me: i interviewed mid September and received the same "hold" email. I then didnt hear anything after that until march 15th when i found out i was waitlisted. so if you dont hear anything this round it doesnt mean you were rejected, it just means your priority score wasnt high enough to get in for this particular round of acceptances. needless to say, i am going through the whole process again. i interviewed mid september, again, and i am holding my breath until 6pm tonight... good luck to all of you who are waiting along with me!

Good luck! I hope you get in tonight!

Notifications just got sent out for 10/15 decisions. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
The committee's file review indicates that they wish to consider your file over the next several weeks before making a decision about interview. Since they have some reservations about granting an interview, your file will be reviewed again by a small sub-committee before making a final decision. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken.

i know this is the bad hold message... did anyone who got this one get an interview later?

I'm in! Stupid 28N MCAT didn't drag me down. Hope to see you all in Richmond

I'm in! Stupid 28N MCAT didn't drag me down. Hope to see you all in Richmond

Congrats to you, and to anyone else who got in today. If anyone has questions about VCU, feel free to PM me...

Just the Matriculation form, if I remember correctly. Pay the deposit and fill out that form to hold your spot. The rest just needs filled out before summer if you attend VCU.

Members don't see this ad :)
To everyone that was accepted today:

Did your status page change right at 6 pm? I interviewed two weeks ago and my status page hasn't changed yet. Urgh.

To everyone that was accepted today:

Did your status page change right at 6 pm? I interviewed two weeks ago and my status page hasn't changed yet. Urgh.

bioteach-- same here. I interviewed about two weeks ago, when they told us all that our files would likely go to committee and we would be up for 10/15.

I still have the post-interview survey message, even though I did the survey right away like two weeks ago. I guess we're waiting until december now...

Yeah, I still have that post-survey message too. I interviewed Oct 4th, but I guess it wasn't early enough to get in on the Oct 15th date. They said it would be so I have been waiting all day. At least I'm not the only one...

Did anyone else that interviewed in October get a change in the status today?

bioteach-- same here. I interviewed about two weeks ago, when they told us all that our files would likely go to committee and we would be up for 10/15.

I still have the post-interview survey message, even though I did the survey right away like two weeks ago. I guess we're waiting until december now...

count me in too :(

anyone hear today?? do they notify by e-mail or snail mail? Is it worth calling? I interviewed last week and was told it was possible a decision could be made on my application in time for Oct 15 batch - but may not be until Dec 15

I'm IN!!!! I really loved the school and I am sooo excited!!!

hopefully december 15th is better for me :(

congratulations to everybody that got an acceptance!!!

I finally emailed the dean and all she said was : sorry we are very busy!!!
I have been waiting since the 26th of July!!!

how long is the turn around time after you email the dean and when she responds?

Has anyone with "The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further..." message recently gotten an interview? I know a lot of you early-birds got one following this message but I only got it last week. And I really really want an interview!! My best friend lives in B-more, so I can go visit her if I get the interview. :D

Yeah I'm in the same boat...why do they have to be so confusing!!!

how long is the turn around time after you email the dean and when she responds?

Spring and summer it was anywhere from 1 hour to 1 week. She will respond, but it takes a while depending on how busy they are.

Has anyone with "The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further..." message recently gotten an interview? I know a lot of you early-birds got one following this message but I only got it last week. And I really really want an interview!!

ditto :(

Has anyone with "The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further..." message recently gotten an interview? I know a lot of you early-birds got one following this message but I only got it last week. And I really really want an interview!! My best friend lives in B-more, so I can go visit her if I get the interview. :D

nope +pity+

Yeh my status just changed to that this weekend and I'm interviewing at EVMS, hope VCU changes it soon, it would have been great to do them back to back but alas.

I've had that message for 4 weeks, still no news yet. I called the office and they said it usually takes 6-8 weeks

A few quick questions..

I'm from OOS and will be interviewing on Monday. I just got a hotel reservation at the Holiday Inn at the airport. According to Google maps, this is 6 miles from MCV.. they (the med school) says it's about $20 each way for a cab, is that right? That seems like a lot for a 6 mile drive, but I've never taken a cab before, so I wouldn't know.

If so, I'm considering renting a car.. the cheapest car I can rent is a pickup truck. Can I park a pickup truck in that parking garage they have reserved for interviewees?

Thanks.

A few quick questions..

I'm from OOS and will be interviewing on Monday. I just got a hotel reservation at the Holiday Inn at the airport. According to Google maps, this is 6 miles from MCV.. they (the med school) says it's about $20 each way for a cab, is that right? That seems like a lot for a 6 mile drive, but I've never taken a cab before, so I wouldn't know.

If so, I'm considering renting a car.. the cheapest car I can rent is a pickup truck. Can I park a pickup truck in that parking garage they have reserved for interviewees?

Thanks.

you can park there with a pickup truck no problem. it is a hospital garage, but vcu doesn't validate. you have to pay.:thumbdown:

you can park there with a pickup truck no problem. it is a hospital garage, but vcu doesn't validate. you have to pay.:thumbdown:
well that's alright, with the taxes and "under 25 driver fee" it comes out to like $70 to rent the truck. I'll take my chances with my first cab ride.

You can get the ticket validated at the information desk inside the hospital by the escalators. I think its only for an hour or two though. The atm is over in the atrium as well so you can get cash if you need it.

Yeh my status just changed to that this weekend and I'm interviewing at EVMS, hope VCU changes it soon, it would have been great to do them back to back but alas.

You should call them and tell them this!:luck:

do they have somewhere to leave luggage at the med school or should I just leave it at my hotel?

They have a sort of waiting room in admissions, where you could leave luggage, I'd show up early if you're planning on doing that, so you have plenty of time to stow it before things get started. Even knowing that, it may be polite to call the office before you leave and explain you need to leave your bag with them.

The parking garage had lots of large suvs, trucks when I was there. Parking was less than $10, and it HAS to be paid in cash.

They have a sort of waiting room in admissions, where you could leave luggage, I'd show up early if you're planning on doing that, so you have plenty of time to stow it before things get started. Even knowing that, it may be polite to call the office before you leave and explain you need to leave your bag with them.

The parking garage had lots of large suvs, trucks when I was there. Parking was less than $10, and it HAS to be paid in cash.

I am not sure if I have said this on the board yet but:

Other option for parking include:

1)the bottom of the hill (around 16th and broad). There parking is between 2-3 bucks for the day. This is where most students and general employees work.

2) Valet Parking. A bunch of my classmates use this when they are late for class or are too lazy to hike the hill. It is $5 for valet parking.

Many people bring their luggage with them and leave it in the interviewee room so you shouldn't worry about looking weird if you come with luggage. That said, if you rent a car, might as well leave it in the car.

I went ahead and left my bags at my hotel. I'm sitting here in the waiting room now, and I think it's pretty funny how I type in forums. and studentdoctor comes up. Someone's been surfing from this waiting room before..

has anyone been in contact with Dr. Whitehurst-Cook? I emailed her this past Wednesday and haven't gotten a response yet. I know she's really busy and I'm being impatient but I really wanted a response to my letter. :( Anyway, I guess my question really is, does she always respond back? or should I just forward that to the main medical school email address?

I've had that message for 4 weeks, still no news yet. I called the office and they said it usually takes 6-8 weeks

Well then the good news is that the interview invite is *hopefully* coming! C'mon VCU, show me some :love:!

Dr. WC has always responded really quickly to the emails that I have sent her. Sometimes, I have gotten a response on the same day. What was your question?

Dr. WC has always responded really quickly to the emails that I have sent her. Sometimes, I have gotten a response on the same day. What was your question?

after i was placed on prelim hold, i sent her a letter of intent telling her why vcu was my 1st choice and how i thought i was a good fit for the school. i also included a general update letter on my classes and activities that i sent to all medical schools. i've done some good stuff that i want to be included in my file. i guess i'll just forward it to the SOM email address.

after i was placed on prelim hold, i sent her a letter of intent telling her why vcu was my 1st choice and how i thought i was a good fit for the school. i also included a general update letter on my classes and activities that i sent to all medical schools. i've done some good stuff that i want to be included in my file. i guess i'll just forward it to the SOM email address.

Unless you acutally asked her a Question, she won't respond, but she will put whatever you sent her in your file.

For those of you who have not yet interviewed..

If you plan on staying at a hotel they listed in their information, the "Best Western Airport Inn" is NOT a Best Western, at least not anymore. It's a Best Value Inn. And it sucks.

So pay a couple extra bucks and stay at the Holiday Inn or something.

Spoke too soon! Got an interview invite today via email (after being on hold for 6 weeks). Sweet! :D

Congrats! Can I ask which hold message you had?? I'm about to hit a month of waiting...