2009/2010 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Schwann

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have finished my MCAT and would like to start working on my essays. Regarding the personal statement, is there a specific topic for that or is it open-ended? Also, how would I obtain other essays prompts? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I have finished my MCAT and would like to start working on my essays. Regarding the personal statement, is there a specific topic for that or is it open-ended? Also, how would I obtain other essays prompts? Thanks.

Use the space provided to explain why you want to go to medical school. The available space for your response is 5300 characters, or approximately one full page.

5300 characters includes spaces. If you want specific prompts from each school (as in secondary essays), check SDN for that school's secondary thread. Remember though, that the secondary essay could very well change next cycle (which I'm assuming you're applying to).

Are there any other essays in the main amcas application, or just the PS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any other essays in the main amcas application, or just the PS?
Only if you are applying for an MD/PhD. I believe that you need to write an essay regarding your research experience/interest in the PhD component.

Is there any way that we can see an outline of how the AMCAS application looks like before it actually is released in may or june?

You can create an account for this year's amcas, Ibelieve. I did that a couple of years ago, just to see what was on there.

It's not really that big of a deal though.

Basically, you'll enter a bunch of personal info, input all your grades, put in descriptions for up to 15 ECs, and type in a personal statement that is something to the effect of why you want to be a doctor and what experiences you've had that support your decision.