2009-2010 Duke Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Duke interview invite. Oh man. This is so sweet. 9th invite baby!

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone else concerned that duke condenses the classes/material that would normally be taught during your first and second year all into your first year? I'm kinda worried about this approach...how on earth are we supposed to learn it all in one year???

Well, after all, it is Duke...

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the deal with Duke? Why are some people getting invites in two days and others (like myself) are left dangling? It shouldn't be that hard to get a maybe or no answer.

Hello!!! Guys, I want to ask for your input.
For the dilemma essay...what should I write about?
Here's what I have in mind...
A.) In college, when I found out that one of my friend was using drugs (not marijuana) to get their minds off things...I took it away from them. I was hit and called names. I also recommended that they seek professional help. In the end, I did not call the police. The friend no longer speaks to me.

B.) In highschool, my childhood friends started to drink and smoke. I was very against it at the time so I broke off my relationships with them. In restrospect, perhaps I was a little too proud and rash. I now regret this decision.

C.) In college, one of my closest friends tried to steal one of my close friends' girlfriend. I sided with the couple. They reconciled but they no longer speak to each other.

So far, I am trying to decide between A.) and B.)
Option A.) seems more serious but I guess B.) affects me emotionally, since they were my first group of friends.

Thanks!!!
I'd vote for A as well.

B is bad because you seem like a very judgemental person. You will be dealing with drug addicts as a doctor, the attitude you displayed in high school doesn't inspire confidence in your ability to deal with them (at all). You display the same trait in A, so you need to be careful how you word that one. C is bad because, the way you've explained it, it doesn't have anything to do with you. Some guy wants to sleep with some girl, and her boyfriend doesn't like that. What do you have to do with the situation?

What's the deal with Duke? Why are some people getting invites in two days and others (like myself) are left dangling? It shouldn't be that hard to get a maybe or no answer.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. 4 weeks since complete now for me.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. 4 weeks since complete now for me.

Cool, we're submit buddies. :)

Regardless of what happens with our applications, the process has given us something more beautiful than an acceptance - a friendship.

Seriously though, I don't know what the deal is. I don't think we're dealing with auto-invites, but then some people get near-instantaneous interview invites or rejections and we're left hanging. Whatever.

Cool, we're submit buddies. :)

Regardless of what happens with our applications, the process has given us something more beautiful than an acceptance - a friendship.

Seriously though, I don't know what the deal is. I don't think we're dealing with auto-invites, but then some people get near-instantaneous interview invites or rejections and we're left hanging. Whatever.

1. Haha

2. I don't know how Duke does things, but I know a lot of schools have internal ranking systems for applicants (how else would you organize the thousands of apps you get). So my guess is that we're probably in a hold pool of sorts. The people getting auto-invites are probably pretty stellar applicants, those they know for sure they want to interview in the first wave. So while it still says our apps are being screened.. it's probably more likely that they've already been seen and have been put aside, pending invite/rejection.

Obviously no way of knowing how they do it, but this forum is the place to speculate in eh?

Is it really true that after you're complete, Duke doesn't e-mail you unless you're going to be interviewed? Really - the school that needs five essays can't be troubled to send an e-mail?

1. Haha

2. I don't know how Duke does things, but I know a lot of schools have internal ranking systems for applicants (how else would you organize the thousands of apps you get). So my guess is that we're probably in a hold pool of sorts. The people getting auto-invites are probably pretty stellar applicants, those they know for sure they want to interview in the first wave. So while it still says our apps are being screened.. it's probably more likely that they've already been seen and have been put aside, pending invite/rejection.

Obviously no way of knowing how they do it, but this forum is the place to speculate in eh?
That's the thing I don't understand. It looks like the people getting interviews, from the limited pool that I have seen, don't have great stats. That makes me think they are not auto-invites. However, they are getting reviewed pretty rapidly, whereas some of us are not. Perhaps we got stuck with some sloooooow reviewer who has a stack of our essays on his desk. I don't know.

Tell me about it! I submitted that monster of a secondary around a month ago...and haven't heard anything at all.

Is anyone else concerned that duke condenses the classes/material that would normally be taught during your first and second year all into your first year? I'm kinda worried about this approach...how on earth are we supposed to learn it all in one year???

Well, after all, it is Duke...

I work at Duke, and we have med students work in our lab for their 3rd year (you choose which kind of research you want to do, we're in ophtho) -- they say it's pretty intense, but you just do it. You don't really have much of a summer off b/c they condense the 2 years.. which goes into your summer. But all the Duke med students I've met seem to still make time to have a life and go out. I think it's just what you gotta do to get a MD from Duke..

do you guys know if Duke keeps secondary essays from previous years on file? I applied to Duke last year and ended up on their waitlist. I am thinking of reusing my essays and adding in a bit more information for this year. Writing 5 new essays will be tough.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's the thing I don't understand. It looks like the people getting interviews, from the limited pool that I have seen, don't have great stats. That makes me think they are not auto-invites. However, they are getting reviewed pretty rapidly, whereas some of us are not. Perhaps we got stuck with some sloooooow reviewer who has a stack of our essays on his desk. I don't know.

Hm, maybe that's the case - I just figured that they were inviting those with awesome stats. Although, I don't know what's considered "great" in your book! :D My own stats are pretty solid but I wouldn't say they were exceptional. You're probably right about the slow reviewer. :(

p.s. you said you knew of people who have actually been rejected already? Damn.

Doesn't Duke have two reviewers who have to approve your application? I think it's luck of the draw.

Rest assured, they have to get around to you eventually :) you DID pay them $80...

Hooray! Done with my 5 essays. I'll sleep on them tonight and submit tomorrow after another review. Hope Duke won't be too upset that it took me about 6 weeks. It's just hard to motivate myself to get done in a timely fashion with these non-rolling schools.

Just submitted this bad boy... what a b****!! I've been sitting on this for over two weeks. Hopefully those essays actually get read...

:soexcited::zip::rofl::woot::highfive: :D:D:D:D:D

do you sense... my excitement??

Just submitted this bad boy... what a b****!! I've been sitting on this for over two weeks. Hopefully those essays actually get read...

:soexcited::zip::rofl::woot::highfive: :D:D:D:D:D

do you sense... my excitement??
Yea, get rid of it. It's really annoying.

Ugh, how did they let you know?
Not looking forward to mine here...

I think rejections are via status page. They only email you if you have an interview invite. A lot of us on this thread have been under screening for over 4 weeks and have not heard back so the review is not occurring in any particular order.

Ugh, how did they let you know?
Not looking forward to mine here...

Had to sign in to my status page. On the right hand side, in that little status bar, was the message.

I know it's a small thing, but I personally feel that, with the effort, money, and time required to make a serious go of it applying to medical school, the least they could do is send me an email.

Had to sign in to my status page. On the right hand side, in that little status bar, was the message.

I know it's a small thing, but I personally feel that, with the effort, money, and time required to make a serious go of it applying to medical school, the least they could do is send me an email.
Totally agree with you redsquare, I thought they do send an e-mail as soon as there is a change in status. Sorry, I hope you have many other choices.

Rejected here too. I agree with the above, but would add that in light of the essays, this applies even more so.

I like to think that interviews are a great way for US to interview the SCHOOL just as much as it is the other way around. Judging by the way this was handled I would have to say this is definitely for the best, at least for me.

:luck: everybody!

Hi guys. wow.

you are all way ahead of me. I'm still waiting for my AAMC application to get verified. Duke is an amazing school and medical center. I hope I get an invite. Good luck to us all!!! ;-):love:

Last edited:
eghh still more waiting
Haha, that's the same thing I just went through. And by now I know they have seen my application and are just fiddling around with it.

"Committee screening" - phhht... Needs to be updated to "Messing with you".

Wowzers, quick turnaround for me. I submitted on Friday and got the invite today. Maybe I should wait to interview in a couple months. Not sure I want Duke being one of my first. And without rolling admissions, I guess it makes no difference.

Wowzers, quick turnaround for me. I submitted on Friday and got the invite today. Maybe I should wait to interview in a couple months. Not sure I want Duke being one of my first. And without rolling admissions, I guess it makes no difference.

I hate you. :thumbdown:

A lot of schools reject everyone via snail mail in March after you are well aware that you are not going to interview there, because they've stopped interviewing, and some don't even bother to send a rejection letter of any form. I know that it sucks to get rejected, but IMO it's better to find out now, regardless of the method that this information is dispersed, rather than keep your hopes up for months and months. For the record, I've never seen someone post on SDN, "well I got rejected, but I really appreciate them sending me a letter/email about it".

A lot of schools reject everyone via snail mail in March after you are well aware that you are not going to interview there, because they've stopped interviewing, and some don't even bother to send a rejection letter of any form. I know that it sucks to get rejected, but IMO it's better to find out now, regardless of the method that this information is dispersed, rather than keep your hopes up for months and months. For the record, I've never seen someone post on SDN, "well I got rejected, but I really appreciate them sending me a letter/email about it".

I imagine that's just because people aren't in that mood when they get rejected. A rejection is a rejection, but I know I would prefer getting an email rather than having to log in periodically to check for it. I'm sure you've seen someone complain on SDN about silent rejections before. ^^ It really is all relative.

Anyone else interviewing on Oct 2nd? I'm stoked! I think Duke is all about writing essays because the only decent thing about my MCAT was the "T" writing score. And I spent FOREVER on those secondaries! :) Sorry to everyone who is receiving rejections. I'm sure you will probably get interviews at MY dream schools and I'll get nothing. Sometimes life is just like that, ya know? :) Best of luck to everyone - I'm glad it is finally time for interviews! I just hope I don't have to sell too many organs to cover my travel expenses. I've still got a kidney and half my liver...

Anyone else interviewing on Oct 2nd? I'm stoked! I think Duke is all about writing essays because the only decent thing about my MCAT was the "T" writing score. And I spent FOREVER on those secondaries! :) Sorry to everyone who is receiving rejections. I'm sure you will probably get interviews at MY dream schools and I'll get nothing. Sometimes life is just like that, ya know? :) Best of luck to everyone - I'm glad it is finally time for interviews! I just hope I don't have to sell too many organs to cover my travel expenses. I've still got a kidney and half my liver...

Yeah, my mcat sucked too (i had an "S"... you beat me by 1 you bastard!) as did my grades... maybe they do read all those essays after all!

For those who were rejected (sorry about that), when did you have your secondary submitted?

Haha, that's the same thing I just went through. And by now I know they have seen my application and are just fiddling around with it.

"Committee screening" - phhht... Needs to be updated to "Messing with you".

I know. Have you heard anything yet?

complete somewhere between 10-15 of august

interview invite this morning

gl, stop worrying

Invite this morning. So stoked :) I was complete roughly a month ago.

Invite this morning. So stoked :) I was complete roughly a month ago.

just got one too! I was in the library trying to send an email, and for once I wasn't actually compulsively checking for news from medical schools. I was so surprised I actually let out a little shriek of joy in that silent room and earned a few angry stares -- but oh well!

Hopefully a few others got some good news today!

just got one too! I was in the library trying to send an email, and for once I wasn't actually compulsively checking for news from medical schools. I was so surprised I actually let out a little shriek of joy in that silent room and earned a few angry stares -- but oh well!

Hopefully a few others got some good news today!

Yeah, I yelled out "yes" in my lab. The people on the other side were like wtf? :laugh:

Hey guys, I applied to (and was obsessed with) Duke last year. Just thought I'd stop in and see what's up. The semi-maniacal anxiety running through this thread brings back memories. For those of you who are still in screening, you may find some comfort in the fact that I had to put up with the tantalizing 'committee screening' message for about three months before finally getting an interview. Alas, I didn't get in in the end, but that won't stop me from endorsing the school. Duke Hospital and DMS sport awesome facilities, and the students I met were nearly unanimously cool and friendly (and obviously all smart). Everyone there seemed to find the compressed curriculum 'manageable' too, if anyone is concerned about that.

Anywho, good luck to you all, and congrats to those who already got interviews!

Hey, for those who finished, how long are your essays? Mine are basically a couple of paragraphs that straightforwardly answer the prompts...

I don't know, I just don't want to be viewed as a joke. I also don't want to appear as trying to hard by writing fancy, dragged-out essays.

Hey, for those who finished, how long are your essays? Mine are basically a couple of paragraphs that straightforwardly answer the prompts...

I don't know, I just don't want to be viewed as a joke. I also don't want to appear as trying to hard by writing fancy, dragged-out essays.

A lot of my essays were semi-longish. In my opinion, you shouldn't be thinking of the essays as a chore for which you need to produce a satisfactory answer and move along. The essays really give you a chance to distinguish yourself and add some personality to your application. You should use as many words as necessary to effectively accomplish that. I'm not sure a short answer would be sufficient for some of the prompts, but you're the best judge of that. Put yourself in the shoes of the admissions people, read over your response and decide whether you think you'd want that person that comes off in your essays at the school. If you feel good about a 100 word essay, then I can't say any admissions person will disqualify you for that.

For reference, my essays in order were: 318, 233, 589, 342, and 568 words. But it's not as though I think those are ideal numbers or have any confirmed knowledge of what the admissions people want.

Status
Not open for further replies.