2009-2010 Duke Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for answering our questions! Can we still have our own computers for personal use and what not? Like, can we just keep the Lenovo for Duke specific stuff, or will we have to use that laptop day in and day out? I'm a Mac user and I'm okay with using Windows (and I actually prefer it for Office apps and work), but I still want to use my Mac for the most part.

Also, could you elaborate on the AOA selection process at Duke?
You can use whatever computer you want for your own personal use. You will likely be using the Duke laptop in class, though, so you may be using a PC more than you're used to. But certainly, you can use whatever computer you want, even in class.

As for AOA, it's the same as pretty much every school that has it. The top 25%-ish of the class based on grades through the first and second year are eligible and fill out an application. A total of 1/6 of the class can be elected to AOA, half of which are selected in Spring of 3rd year and half of which are selected Fall of 4th year (the current students in AOA are the ones who vote on who gets in). Two notes about AOA: first, it is hard to become eligible. I'll give an example. There are only three graded blocks first year. I chose to not worry about getting honors too much because I found worrying about it to be too stressful for me, so I passed all first year. Despite getting honors in all clinical rotations 2nd year, I was not AOA eligible. So it's tough! And second, not being AOA didn't hinder my residency application. I mean, it's impossible to know why I didn't get interviews at some programs, but I did get interviews at most of the programs I wanted and matched at my first choice. So don't stress too much about getting AOA, especially when your classmates are exceptional.

Members don't see this ad.

You can use whatever computer you want for your own personal use. You will likely be using the Duke laptop in class, though, so you may be using a PC more than you're used to. But certainly, you can use whatever computer you want, even in class.

As for AOA, it's the same as pretty much every school that has it. The top 25%-ish of the class based on grades through the first and second year are eligible and fill out an application. A total of 1/6 of the class can be elected to AOA, half of which are selected in Spring of 3rd year and half of which are selected Fall of 4th year (the current students in AOA are the ones who vote on who gets in). Two notes about AOA: first, it is hard to become eligible. I'll give an example. There are only three graded blocks first year. I chose to not worry about getting honors too much because I found worrying about it to be too stressful for me, so I passed all first year. Despite getting honors in all clinical rotations 2nd year, I was not AOA eligible. So it's tough! And second, not being AOA didn't hinder my residency application. I mean, it's impossible to know why I didn't get interviews at some programs, but I did get interviews at most of the programs I wanted and matched at my first choice. So don't stress too much about getting AOA, especially when your classmates are exceptional.

Ah, perfect. That's exactly what I wanted to know. Actually, I think it makes perfect sense to use Windows for school-related things and then have your own laptop for everything else. That way, your work/school stuff doesn't get slowed down by all the junk you accumulate over time.

And, wow, AOA seems really difficult to achieve. It's interesting to see that some schools (Yale, HMS, Stanford, Mayo) don't have AOA chapters, but the vast majority of schools do. I guess it's not one of those super important things, but it's nice to have (perhaps for bragging rights lol).

And, wow, AOA seems really difficult to achieve. It's interesting to see that some schools (Yale, HMS, Stanford, Mayo) don't have AOA chapters, but the vast majority of schools do. I guess it's not one of those super important things, but it's nice to have (perhaps for bragging rights lol).
who you gonna brag to? your patients? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is this year's match list. Numbers by the specialty indicate the number of students who matched, and numbers by the individual programs indicate the number of students who matched there (obviously). I mentioned Duke first because so many of us are staying here (30 out of 95!) and then went alphabetical from there.

Anesthesiology (7)
Duke (3)
Barnes-Jewish (WUSTL)
Miami
OHSU
Stanford

Dermatology (4)
Duke
Case Western
Johns Hopkins
U of Washington

Emergency Medicine (6)
Arizona
Cincinnati
Nevada
Stanford
St. Luke's-Roosevelt
UNC

Emergency Medicine/Internal Medicine (1)
Hennepin County Hospital

Family Medicine (1)
Columbia

General Surgery (6)
Duke (2)
Barnes-Jewish (WUSTL)
Indiana
Mass General
OHSU

Internal Medicine (16)
Duke (6)
Brigham and Women's
Mass General (Heme/Onc fast track)
Mt. Sinai
NYU
UCSF
U of Massachusetts
U of Michigan
U of Washington
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest (primary care)

Internal Medicine/Pediatrics (2)
Duke
Tulane

Internal Medicine/Psychiatry (2)
Duke (2)

Neurosurgery (1)
U of Virginia

Obstetrics/Gynecology (3)
Duke
Indiana
UCLA

Ophthalmology (12)
Duke (2)
Howard
Johns Hopkins
LSU-NO (Oschner)
NYU
UCLA (2)
U of Pennsylvania
U of Texas-Southwestern
U of Washington
Vanderbilt

Orthopedic Surgery (6)
Duke (3)
Barnes-Jewish (WUSTL)
Eisenhower Army Hospital
U of South Florida

Otolaryngology (1)
Johns Hopkins

Pathology (4)
Duke
Mass General
Stanford
UCSF

Pediatrics (6)
Duke
Baylor (Global Health)
Stanford (2)
St. Louis Children's
U of Washington

Plastic Surgery (3)
Barnes-Jewish (WUSTL)
Texas A&M
Naval Hospital- San Diego

Psychiatry (3)
Harvard-Longwood (Brigham Hospital)
Johns Hopkins
UC-San Diego

Radiology-Diagnostic (8)
Duke (3)
Allegheny General Hosp
Emory
Stanford
U of Washington
William Beaumont

Radiation Oncology (2)
Duke (2)

Urology (2)
Duke
U of Iowa

Last edited:
Here is this year's match list. Numbers by the specialty indicate the number of students who matched, and numbers by the individual programs indicate the number of students who matched there (obviously). I mentioned Duke first because so many of us are staying here (30 out of 95!) and then went alphabetical from there.

Anesthesiology (7)
Duke (3)
Barnes-Jewish (WUSTL)
Miami
OHSU
Stanford

Dermatology (4)
Duke
Case Western
Johns Hopkins
U of Washington

Emergency Medicine (6)
Arizona
Cincinnati
Nevada
Stanford
St. Luke’s-Roosevelt
UNC

Emergency Medicine/Internal Medicine (1)
Hennepin County Hospital

Family Medicine (1)
Columbia

General Surgery (6)
Duke (2)
Barnes-Jewish (WUSTL)
Indiana
Mass General
OHSU

Internal Medicine (16)
Duke (6)
Brigham and Women’s
Mass General (Heme/Onc fast track)
Mt. Sinai
NYU
UCSF
U of Massachusetts
U of Michigan
U of Washington
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest (primary care)

Internal Medicine/Pediatrics (2)
Duke
Tulane

Internal Medicine/Psychiatry (2)
Duke (2)

Neurosurgery (1)
U of Virginia

Obstetrics/Gynecology (3)
Duke
Indiana
UCLA

Ophthalmology (12)
Duke (2)
Howard
Johns Hopkins
LSU-NO (Oschner)
NYU
UCLA (2)
U of Pennsylvania
U of Texas-Southwestern
U of Washington
Vanderbilt

Orthopedic Surgery (6)
Duke (3)
Barnes-Jewish (WUSTL)
Eisenhower Army Hospital
U of South Florida

Otolaryngology (1)
Johns Hopkins

Pathology (4)
Duke
Mass General
Stanford
UCSF

Pediatrics (6)
Duke
Baylor (Global Health)
Stanford (2)
St. Louis Children’s
U of Washington

Psychiatry (3)
Harvard-Longwood (Brigham Hospital)
Johns Hopkins
UC-San Diego

Radiology-Diagnostic (8)
Duke (3)
Allegheny General Hosp
Emory
Stanford
U of Washington
William Beaumont

Radiation Oncology (2)
Duke (2)

Urology (2)
Duke
U of Iowa

Duke is definitely not a regional school and year after year the students seem to match into big name hospitals. Good to know. The proof is always in the pudding.

No plastics this year? Do these results include MSTP students too?

Duke is definitely not a regional school and year after year the students seem to match into big name hospitals. Good to know. The proof is always in the pudding.
I've actually never heard of Duke referred to as a "regional" school. I would say that's more of a state school phenomenon, as well as some of the private schools that aren't as research/academic-oriented.

I've actually never heard of Duke referred to as a "regional" school. I would say that's more of a state school phenomenon, as well as some of the private schools that aren't as research/academic-oriented.

I don't think its something that happens purposely, but I know it does happen (even outside of state schools). For instance, a disproportionately large percentage of Northwestern applicants stay in the midwest, and similarly, many California schools have most of their students stay in state.

I don't think its something that happens purposely, but I know it does happen (even outside of state schools). For instance, a disproportionately large percentage of Northwestern applicants stay in the midwest, and similarly, many California schools have most of their students stay in state.

Wouldn't Penn and Harvard be considered "regional schools" by this definition too? Most of their graduates stay in the Northeast, after all.

Wouldn't Penn and Harvard be considered "regional schools" by this definition too? Most of their graduates stay in the Northeast, after all.

Yeah, I guess that would be true. It also has to do with the fact that the locations of med schools are clustered. There's a bunch in the northeast, quite a few in the midwest and then a bunch on the west coast.

Hi! This is only my second post on SDN so I am pretty new around these parts! I am waitlisted at Duke and just wanted to hopefully meet some other people in the same boat, congratulate all on their acceptances, and affirm how much I would love the chance to meet all of you and become your peer! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! This is only my second post on SDN so I am pretty new around these parts! I am waitlisted at Duke and just wanted to hopefully meet some other people in the same boat, congratulate all on their acceptances, and affirm how much I would love the chance to meet all of you and become your peer! :)

I am in the same position and I feel the same way. Gosh, Duke would be a dream come true (as cliche as that sounds). Good luck to you and congratulations to all those who already made it!

I am in the same position and I feel the same way. Gosh, Duke would be a dream come true (as cliche as that sounds). Good luck to you and congratulations to all those who already made it!

Well said. Me too.

I called the FinAid Office. Packages won't be out for a couple weeks.

Also, it looks like full scholarships have been handed out (or at least they've started). I saw jla got one.

I know multiple people who got them are Harvard-HST acceptees.. This thing isn't over yet!

Last edited:
That email from Wallace made me excited for this weekend :D

I did a Skype interview so I haven't seen the campus at all nor have I ever really seen the South. This should be interesting!

Is there a facebook group for the admitted class?

Thanks! See you all at Second Look!

I'm with ya, but it seems that us Waitlisters are quite a populace group :/

**** yeah!!!!! DUUUUKKKKEEEEEE 2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!!!
DUKE C/O 2008!!!!!

Hi everyone! I am going to Duke's Second Look this weekend and was wondering if anyone has heard back about staying with student hosts? I just want to make sure that I wasn't forgotten somehow and that I'll find a place to stay. Thanks!

Copy that, I still would love an acceptance from Duke!! I interviewed regionally as all on-campus dates were filled at the time of my offer, but I still trekked out to NC to scope out the scene- ;)

Hi everyone! I am going to Duke's Second Look this weekend and was wondering if anyone has heard back about staying with student hosts? I just want to make sure that I wasn't forgotten somehow and that I'll find a place to stay. Thanks!

Got mine today. I'm sure they haven't forgotten about you though :)

Copy that, I still would love an acceptance from Duke!! I interviewed regionally as all on-campus dates were filled at the time of my offer, but I still trekked out to NC to scope out the scene- ;)

Same here. The campus is so beautiful! Though I imagine all the Gothic architecture gets gloomy in the winter.

Didn't make Second Look. Anyone care to share how the weekend went? Any talk about when we might start hearing from Financial Aid?

Didn't make Second Look. Anyone care to share how the weekend went? Any talk about when we might start hearing from Financial Aid?

I was able to visit the financial aid office during Second Look and if I'm remembering correctly, she said they'll be mailed out at the end of next week if all of your materials are in.

Anyone on the waitlist hear anything yet? Or have any idea when we could start hearing?:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

Anyone on the waitlist hear anything yet? Or have any idea when we could start hearing?:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

Well Duke extended their deadline until the end of the day today so WL offers, in theory, could go out starting tomorrow..if not, then perhaps later this week. I'm crossing my fingers too!:xf:

Well Duke extended their deadline until the end of the day today so WL offers, in theory, could go out starting tomorrow..if not, then perhaps later this week. I'm crossing my fingers too!:xf:

Good luck everyone!!!! :luck::luck::luck::luck: I'm crossing my fingers too!! :xf::xf::xf:

Best of luck to everyone still dangling by a thin thread of hope (myself included!). With this many crossed fingers and lucky 4-leaf clovers, some of us are bound to get good news from Duke in the near future. :)

:luck::xf::luck::xf::luck::xf::luck::xf: :thumbup:

Hello,

I have been accepted off the waitlist at Duke. If I say yes to Duke, does that mean I must attend? I am still waiting for one more school waitlist that I would prefer to go to more and I am worried about the financial aid package from Duke. Does anyone know if you sign the letter of intent, if you can withdraw later if you get accepted off the waitlist somewhere else?

Please help.

Thank you!

EZG

Hey all,

Is there a FB group for the incoming class of 2014? I tried looking but couldn't find it.

Can someone fill me in on INTERDIS 104B - 41 INTERPROFESSIONAL INTRODUCTION TO PREVENTION ? Does anyone know what the course entails? :confused:

Hey, I tried to do a bit of searching but couldn't find anything ...

Is there a post (within this thread or another) you might have bookmarked that is essentially a "Why Duke?" that lists some of the pros/intangibles of the school from current students/interviewees that I wouldn't really find in the brochure or MSAR? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.