2009-2010 Duke Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you are too far away from being reviewed. Not too many people apply here and if they do, they don't complete the secondaries for a while. So I wouldn't expect an initial wave as it would be for vandy/pitt/whatever, but a more consistent day by day invites. Or I could be wrong, and they could have less people on the committee reviewing apps.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you are too far away from being reviewed. Not too many people apply here and if they do, they don't complete the secondaries for a while. So I wouldn't expect an initial wave as it would be for vandy/pitt/whatever, but a more consistent day by day invites. Or I could be wrong, and they could have less people on the committee reviewing apps.

I don't think they have a day by day sorta thing. From what I remember two independent screeners/committees need to 'approve' your application before you get an interview invite. I submitted my application on July 19th and was complete July 20th but haven't heard back yet, whereas someone I know submitted later than me and already got an interview. So I have no clue as to how they are reviewing.

Congrats to AyCaramba on the invite! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was impressed by the number of essays that Duke had. They were definitely the most probing essays that I had to write, and I feel like out of all the schools that I had to apply to, this one will actually know more about me from what I wrote. The moral or ethical dilemma was a hard one, since they said no to academic dishonesty. I wrote about my volunteer work with a clinic in Guinea, but it took me forever to figure out what to write. Wrote about my brother (who has a health condition) for the relationship one. What did other people write about for these?

Oh and I just submitted two days ago... little late in the game, I know, but I've been filling out alot of secondaries lately, and these essays were hard! Since I was so late, any speculation on if/when I'll get an interview decision?

Is there an advantage between on-campus vs. regional interviews? Yes on-campus you get to see the campus but I think that's more important after acceptance when you're doing second-look type things.

Is it advantageous from an admissions standpoint to actually fly out, will it carry more weight, etc? Because it would certainly be cheaper to go with the regional interview.

Oh and I just submitted two days ago... little late in the game, I know, but I've been filling out alot of secondaries lately, and these essays were hard! Since I was so late, any speculation on if/when I'll get an interview decision?

Definitely not late, Comoroa - this is a quote from the initial secondary invite email they sent out:

."It is recommended that you apply as early as possible since supplemental applications received after the November 15, 2009 deadline may take considerably longer to process and screen as the applications Duke receives continues to rise. Also by submitting later rather than soon, you run the risk of being locked out of interview dates. Given past experience, we anticipate that many candidates will submit their online Supplemental Application very close the November 15, 2009 deadline. To avoid heavy server traffic and potential delays, we encourage candidates to submit application materials as early as possible." .

From this, I wouldn't consider an August submission late! I'm shooting for close to the end of this month, actually. These essays are bears...

does anyone think it is fair to assume that the adcoms are not going to read all of your activity descriptions that are on the amcas? Maybe the one dude that is assigned to your file, but I feel like repeating wording from there onto the secondary isn't a big deal. thoughts?

Just got the interview invite today! I stayed up till 4 in the morning Saturday 8/8. Such a fast turnaround! My essays were at least 600 words each.

Greetings from the Office of Admissions:

We are delighted to inform you that you have been selected for an interview* at the Duke University School of Medicine for admission to the 2010 entering class.

When you login to your DukeMed Personal Account, you will see three (3) options for a DukeMed interview:

1) Local Interview = ON CAMPUS

2) Regional Interview = the admissions office will work to connect you with a DukeMed Alum as close to your preferred location as possible

3) Virtual Interview = interviewing with a DukeMed Admission Committee member using a web cam.

does anyone think it is fair to assume that the adcoms are not going to read all of your activity descriptions that are on the amcas? Maybe the one dude that is assigned to your file, but I feel like repeating wording from there onto the secondary isn't a big deal. thoughts?

I'm sure that if they read your secondary essays, they will read your primary as well. I think it's absolutely fine to discuss those activities in the essays, but I wouldn't copy-and-paste anything.

Just got the interview invite today! I stayed up till 4 in the morning Saturday 8/8. Such a fast turnaround! My essays were at least 600 words each.

We are delighted to inform you that you have been selected for an interview* at the Duke University School of Medicine for admission to the 2010 entering class.

When you login to your DukeMed Personal Account, you will see three (3) options for a DukeMed interview:

2) Regional Interview = the admissions office will work to connect you with a DukeMed Alum as close to your preferred location as possible

3) Virtual Interview = interviewing with a DukeMed Admission Committee member using a web cam.

Wow! Congrats! :) I'm planning on submitting this beast by tomorrow!

What is their earliest interview date?

Wow! Congrats! :) I'm planning on submitting this beast by tomorrow!

What is their earliest interview date?

September 13th is I think the first available date for a local interview.

Does any know the pros and cons of selecting between the 3 types of interviews?

congrats, that was a fast turnaround! mind sharing your stats?

The non-local interview options = might be convenient and save you money, but you get no feel for the school. Unless you are seriously pressed for cash (as in, towards the end of the cycle) I would schedule a campus interview for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
you hardly submitted late :) last year I submitted my app in November, and received an interview invite a week or so afterward. I think Duke's app is the last one of the bunch to be submitted for lots of applicants.

Thanks aquamarine and SunnyBlues. Makes me feel alot better. I guess SDN people are all overachievers who get their stuff in the day that they are emailed the secondary! Just looking forward to getting more interviews....

September 13th is I think the first available date for a local interview.

Here are the pros/cons for me:

Pros: Get to see the campus, meet students, see North Carolina
Cons: Have to miss class, expensive flight

Pros: No/few travel costs, the possibility of being interviewed by my PI :laugh: (he went to Duke)
Cons: Don't get a sense of the school

Pros: You can interview wearing a blazer top and PJ bottoms, No travel costs, no missed class
Cons: The temptation to wear a blazer top and PJ bottoms.

I would probably choose #1. I want to see the school, and it would be fun to fly out.

Here are the pros/cons for me:

Pros: Get to see the campus, meet students, see North Carolina
Cons: Have to miss class, expensive flight

Pros: No/few travel costs, the possibility of being interviewed by my PI :laugh: (he went to Duke)
Cons: Don't get a sense of the school

Pros: You can interview wearing a blazer top and PJ bottoms, No travel costs, no missed class
Cons: The temptation to wear a blazer top and PJ bottoms.

I would probably choose #1. I want to see the school, and it would be fun to fly out.

Yea, reading through this thread, it seemed to me that options 2 & 3 are for people with really good excuses or circumstances. Thanks for making it clear!

Yea, reading through this thread, it seemed to me that options 2 & 3 are for people with really good excuses or circumstances. Thanks for making it clear!

Yeah, I agree, it didn't really seem like an "option" like if you basically don't feel like going to the campus it's fine to choose one of the other two. You can't directly schedule options 2&3 either, you have to "request" them, which makes it seem like they are going to want an explanation.

What has been your most humbling experience and how will that experience affect your interactions with your peers and patients?>>>>What does it mean a humbling experience?

an experience that showed you that you werent as sweet as you thought you were (THey are who we thought they were!). or something that shocked you because it is so different then what you normally see (live in Beverly hills then see a third world country for the first time).

Hmm...So, I just submitted this bad boy, but received no e-mail of payment confirmation or "complete". My status on the PAS says I'm under review.

Was this the case for everyone?

i got an email with the subject "Purchase Confirmation" after submitting. email came right away if i remember correctly. i know it came within the hour.

And about the fifth essay (relationship), I wonder what relationship is it talking about? Is it looking for volunteer-patient relationship, or can we talk about others like boyfriend-girlfriend relationship, father-son relationship? If we can write about the latters, how can we relate that to medicine?

Last edited:
And about the fifth essay (relationship), I wonder what relationship is it talking about? IS it looking for volunteer-patient relationship, or can we take about others like boyfriend-girlfriend relationship, father-son relationship? If we can write about the latter, how can we related that to medicine?

Either.

Be creative! And if nothing comes to mind then think of some relationship that can be tied into medicine.

Get this. I submitted my app yesterday morning and submitted fee online as well. I then went to my inbox which had two new messages BOTH from Duke...

1) Payment receipt :)
2) Interview invite :cool:

Looks like I'm set for a local interview in mid-October. Time to start prepping!

Congrats to those of you who have gotten an interview, and maybe we'll run into each other...?

Get this. I submitted my app yesterday morning and submitted fee online as well. I then went to my inbox which had two new messages BOTH from Duke...

1) Payment receipt :)
2) Interview invite :cool:

Looks like I'm set for a local interview in mid-October. Time to start prepping!

Congrats to those of you who have gotten an interview, and maybe we'll run into each other...?

that is insane.. you must have crazy stats to get auto interview invite from DUKE

wow, props to all of you for completing it. I personally find this app to be the most difficult to complete!

Should I bother completing this one? My mcat is between a 33 and a 36. cGPA around a 3.7.

Thanks

Last edited:
that is insane.. you must have crazy stats to get auto interview invite from DUKE
So much for two committees reviewing your secondary before offering you an interview, eh?

So much for two committees reviewing your secondary before offering you an interview, eh?

My thoughts exactly...

:laugh:

Seriously though, and I mean NOTHING against those with what seems to be an auto-invite, you've earned it! Congrats!

But, unless I missed something (and please correct me if I have), shouldn't these schools be sticking to what they SAY they are going to do? If it's going to be auto-invite I say tell us all that, otherwise I kind of feel like they aren't being "honest" with us...

I personally think that the approach of high stats only = success to be a bit silly (I speak from teaching experience), but it just gives me a not-so-good feeling about places that aren't at the very least upfront about what they are really looking for/doing.

Oh well. I'm off my soapbox.

:luck: everybody!

Interview Invite this morning!!!! I was submitted and complete on 7/22.

The thing is that Duke interviews 5x more people than they end up admitting, which I find incredibly intimidating...not to mention the fact that it's DUKE!!!!

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
i don't think they do any type of autoinvite. perhaps they looked at some primaries before reading all the secondary essays.

What has been your most humbling experience and how will that experience affect your interactions with your peers and patients?>>>>What does it mean a humbling experience?

I don't know if this'll help but I talked about the whole reapplication process, how peers/family have lost faith in my ability to become a doctor (since I didn't get in as a traditional applicant), how I've had to suck it up and apply again without the social support I would like, and how this will make me totally humbled, excited, and thankful to be able to study medicine and practice as a physician.

Been complete here for a little more than a month and my application is still under committee screening. Anyone else in the same boat?

not a month but maybe a couple of weeks i've been on the same boat

it will pick up in september (kids go back to school)
my PI is a reviewer for a school and he doesn't do crap but stay at home to enjoy the remainder of the summer vacation with his kids/write grants/papers

i'm beginning to believe in the auto invite thing....i submitted this friday and i have an interview already....which means they had to have reviewed my application in just one business day to send me an invite.

i'm beginning to believe in the auto invite thing....i submitted this friday and i have an interview already....which means they had to have reviewed my application in just one business day to send me an invite.
i did say that, didnt i? only to be ridiculed

Hello!!! Guys, I want to ask for your input.
For the dilemma essay...what should I write about?
Here's what I have in mind...
A.) In college, when I found out that one of my friend was using drugs (not marijuana) to get their minds off things...I took it away from them. I was hit and called names. I also recommended that they seek professional help. In the end, I did not call the police. The friend no longer speaks to me.

B.) In highschool, my childhood friends started to drink and smoke. I was very against it at the time so I broke off my relationships with them. In restrospect, perhaps I was a little too proud and rash. I now regret this decision.

C.) In college, one of my closest friends tried to steal one of my close friends' girlfriend. I sided with the couple. They reconciled but they no longer speak to each other.

So far, I am trying to decide between A.) and B.)
Option A.) seems more serious but I guess B.) affects me emotionally, since they were my first group of friends.

Thanks!!!

i did say that, didnt i? only to be ridiculed

We just call 'em like we see 'em.

:)

As previously stated, I just like a little honesty on the part of the schools to which I apply.

We just call 'em like we see 'em.

:)

As previously stated, I just like a little honesty on the part of the schools to which I apply.

I heard Duke sends each app to 2 independent screeners (one humanities, one science) possibly by email and both need to approve your application before you get an interview. So either our apps have gone to someone who is slow in reviewing and has just forgotten about them or we have a 'yes' from one reviewer and a 'no' from the other which means someone else will probably look at our application before sending us a rejection or an invite.

I don't know if its worth it at this point to call admissions, though if we did we could atleast figure out whats taking them so long with our applications even though people complete much after have heard back with a rejection or an invite.

I heard Duke sends each app to 2 independent screeners (one humanities, one science) possibly by email and both need to approve your application before you get an interview. So either our apps have gone to someone who is slow in reviewing and has just forgotten about them or we have a 'yes' from one reviewer and a 'no' from the other which means someone else will probably look at our application before sending us a rejection or an invite.

I don't know if its worth it at this point to call admissions, though if we did we could atleast figure out whats taking them so long with our applications even though people complete much after have heard back with a rejection or an invite.

Very possible. I prefer to give them all the time they need, but if it goes another couple of weeks I might be up for calling...

i also haven't heard anything and i have been complete for about 20days now

Complete: 8/16
Interview Invite: 8/18

For anyone who cares, my essay lengths are below, and I wrote them all as pretty much one paragraph answers not formal essays like the PS

Moral: 467
Professional: 94
Unique Dimension: 372
Humbling: 258
Relationship: 123

Good Luck to Everyone!

Very possible. I prefer to give them all the time they need, but if it goes another couple of weeks I might be up for calling...

That's a good attitude to have. We know Duke is already giving out interviews...some people got them in 24 hours and some people had to wait. Since it's not rolling admission just hope that your interview comes before March. If it comes late and you get in it won't matter when it happened. Good luck everyone!

That's a good attitude to have. We know Duke is already giving out interviews...some people got them in 24 hours and some people had to wait. Since it's not rolling admission just hope that your interview comes before March. If it comes late and you get in it won't matter when it happened. Good luck everyone!

:thumbup:

As I always say, let the waiting game continue... hehe

I now *almost* have first drafts of all the essays, and I just want to put it out there that this was ridiculous (which I'm sure you haven't heard before). According to Word I've spent 35 hours on this document, but I am SURE that is an underestimate. (and no my essays aren't long... they're like 400 words-ish)

Duke is my first choice, but for those of you who don't have Duke as a top choice and still survived this secondary... I can't even comprehend your CRAZY work ethic, seriously. If Duke were just some random school to me there's no way I would have toiled through all this crap. Congrats to all who have received interviews already!!

Guys, it took them over 3 weeks to give me an interview last year, and you know what, it made zero difference. I still got to interview. So don't worry! Remember, it's non-rolling anyway, so if you do interview now you'll have to wait until March to hear back, which is miserable. Breathe!

Tomorrow will be 4 weeks for me. But it IS Duke we're talking about here, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised if the eventual news is just a straight up rejection.

I now *almost* have first drafts of all the essays, and I just want to put it out there that this was ridiculous (which I'm sure you haven't heard before). According to Word I've spent 35 hours on this document, but I am SURE that is an underestimate. (and no my essays aren't long... they're like 400 words-ish)

Duke is my first choice, but for those of you who don't have Duke as a top choice and still survived this secondary... I can't even comprehend your CRAZY work ethic, seriously. If Duke were just some random school to me there's no way I would have toiled through all this crap. Congrats to all who have received interviews already!!

Well I applied to so many schools that most of Duke's essays could be adapted from my other secondaries haha. Which is good because Duke isn't my absolute top school (but I wouldn't call it "some random school" either lol)

Duke's essays were a pain, but it was worth it! I'm interviewing there the 19th of October, so shoot me a message if anyone's going to be around and wants to share airport rides and stuff...

I finally sent this one in today! So glad to have submitted - I absolutely love the school.

Something interesting happened... I had saved two responses to MSTP prompts a couple of weeks ago, then edited them and re-saved them today. Of course, I carefully checked all of my essays using the preview feature prior to submitting. After submitting, I also clicked on the "print my application" link, just to double-check - and guess what I saw? By some crazy glitch in the online system, both my rough-draft responses AND my final responses were on the final submission for those two MSTP prompts!

I called the IT support number on the front page of the application system, and was told that no one in that office had heard of this happening before (lucky me)! I was instructed to write an email explaining which draft was the correct and final draft. It doesn't sound like it's going to be a big deal in the long run (at least it didn't happen on any of the major essays - just my "special interest in medicine" essay and my list of schools to which I am applying), but I'm glad I caught it. Fun stuff! Thought I'd give everyone else a "heads-up" to double-check your app after submitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.