2009-2010 NYU Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So has the wailtlist been moving much? I haven't heard anything since I got waitlisted in March.

Members don't see this ad.

Last year it moved slightly around Tuesday of this week. Then again after the May 15th deadline. Supposedly, then every 2 weeks there is another group of acceptances.

Last year it moved slightly around Tuesday of this week. Then again after the May 15th deadline. Supposedly, then every 2 weeks there is another group of acceptances.

That's good news! Hoping for an acceptance this week...it will make my May 15 decision a whole lot less stressful!

Members don't see this ad :)
I do think most of them came after May 15th though.

Thanks! A lot of people seem to be withdrawing so I was surprised that more people are not getting off the waitlist. I guess they just wait till May 15th before pulling from the list.

I think it makes sense at least for them to wait. People may withdraw from the waitlist on the same deadline, and then they won't give out acceptances to those people.

I guess no one has heard anything thus far this week?

I guess no one has heard anything thus far this week?

Nope. Last year's person who heard early seemed to be a single person -- I expect the first wave of acceptances to be late next week, just before the May 15th (Saturday) deadline.

Has anyone heard anything at this point?? I'm so antsy about the NYU waitlist....im really hoping I make it off.

I haven't heard anything, and I'm just as antsy. I've been checking this thread compulsively, assuming that someone would post if they did hear something.
:xf::xf:

I think there is usually enough movement at NYU that it will be noticed by this thread. Also, it seems to occur in chunks, so I am guessing everyone is still waiting.

I was wondering when someone would finally post. 8 days - pretty good self restraint for a bunch of anxious waitlistees. We should all be proud.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some good news for those waiting: Of the 24 indicating they had an acceptance from NYU this cycle, 19 indicated they were going to attend a DIFFERENT school, 3 indicated they were definitely going to NYU, and 2 were undecided or did not indicate.

Obviously, this is only a small sample, but it just such a strong trend showing why NYU has movement from the waiting list.

Is this info coming from this forum or just from personal experience? Thanks for the good news!!

O I meant to say, this is directly from MDapps. There are only 24 people as of now who are listed as accepted.

Aka I looked at their comments. Some said withdrew or had another school which said going here or top choice.

This is a very quiet thread still. I guess the movement is taking a little longer, since last year it started on the 12th.

Just got an email at 2:52 pm today that I got in off the waitlist!!! I am so beyond excited and am freaking out!!!! :D:D:D

Good luck to all!

Congrats to all who got off the waitlist! Care to share stats or at least whether you sent letters of interest or intent?

So, I sent a Letter of Interest about a month after I was waitlisted (3/1) and it included some info about my shadowing and my student teaching. I didn't do much else other than that.
As for stats, my MCAT was 30<X<35 and my cGPA was 3.6<X<3.7 (science was lower).
Hope this helps >.<

Got accepted from the waitlist by email today! Super excited!! :woot:

I sent in an interest letter on end of March and an update in April. Good luck everyone :luck:

I got in yesterday too! Good luck to everyone here!!! I sent an update in May.

ahh, I really hope this wait list movement continues throughout the week :xf: :xf: :xf:

Good luck to those of you still on the waitlist. I was lucky to get off of it a few years ago. NYU is an amazing place.

For those of us about to start at NYU, we don't have to get CPR certification like DS and Buff ask right?

For those of us about to start at NYU, we don't have to get CPR certification like DS and Buff ask right?

I don't think so, and I have looked over the stuff pretty closely.

Hey guys,

For waitlisted applicants, is there anything we need to submit to the financial aid office other than FAFSA (needaccess / institutional forms...)? Also, when do you think the waitlist will move again? :)

We can probably expect movement the day or so after the last wave of acceptances was given to decide. If anyone could comment on that, I am guessing it was two weeks so a week from Monday.

I think only the FAFSA needs to be submitted. We were given 2 weeks so that's right....1 week from tomorrow.

Hey, I believe I mailed NYU a copy of my parents tax returns.

when u guys send in updates and stuff do any of you get responses or confirmations whatsoever that your letter has been read or responded to ?

when u guys send in updates and stuff do any of you get responses or confirmations whatsoever that your letter has been read or responded to ?
No I never did from the admissions committee...they told me that they don't have the time to send us replies...

Silly question for those who were just accepted off the waitlist, but is your status page listed as accepted or still waitlisted? I just want to know whether it is a waste of time to check that status page every day.

Silly question for those who were just accepted off the waitlist, but is your status page listed as accepted or still waitlisted? I just want to know whether it is a waste of time to check that status page every day.
It's a waste of your time! I checked the status page a few minutes before I got that acceptance email and it still said "waitlisted". Trying not to think about it too much is my best advice--the waiting kinda eats you up inside otherwise. Go out and do something to relieve the stress!

Does anyone know what's the deal with the new curriculum? Is it already done or are they still waiting to complete it? What can anybody tell me about it as far as which classes when and other specifics?

Does anyone know what's the deal with the new curriculum? Is it already done or are they still waiting to complete it? What can anybody tell me about it as far as which classes when and other specifics?

During revisit, they were done with the first two years but still working on years 3 and 4.
It will be 1.5 years of preclinical learning, then in January of year 2 we start clinicals. During the clinical years, between rotations there is a course which is the same as a preclinical course. So basically they're just rearranging the preclinical studies rather than shrinking them and they're exposing us to clinical rotations earlier. This will be most beneficial to the Step 1 exam in my opinion because we'd get a year of clinical exposure + all the preclinical studies before taking it.
As for the details, I think we start by biochem and molecular biology with some anatomy (anatomy will be spread all over the preclinical years as opposed to just 2 months at the beginning). And the curriculum is now organ based so we take the heart for example and study both normal and patho for the cardiovascular system. This is the other major change (besides the length).

Um, I think anatomy begins in Nov. That's what last year's students were doing.

Is the cost of attendance posted on nyu site pretty accurate? I just want to know how much to borrow and was wondering if they over estimate everything and I shouldn't borrow up to what they say? thanks!

Any new waitlist movement?? It's been over two weeks since the last offers..

Any new waitlist movement?? It's been over two weeks since the last offers..

In the thread from last year, people were accepted on Weds, June 3rd. Since Monday was memorial day, I would expect them to take people sometime either Thursday or Friday if they have not done so already.

But the first movement was also 5 days earlier last year. So they gave out the first ones on the 12th and the next o the 3rd of June. So it may not be until next week, but who really knows.

Has anyone who has been accepted off the waitlist gotten their financial aid package?

Since nobody posted anything, I'm assuming no wait-list movement until next week? Anyone dare to call lol?

Thought I'd ask it late so nobody gets to jumpy... Has anyone called and/or heard anything. I guess my June 8th guess was wrong, unless somehow movement alluded this page.

Thought I'd ask it late so nobody gets to jumpy... Has anyone called and/or heard anything. I guess my June 8th guess was wrong, unless somehow movement alluded this page.

I second this question. Has anyone heard anything, or called??

I second this question. Has anyone heard anything, or called??

I called yesterday and the woman I spoke with said that there would probably be movement next week, not this week. However, she said that she really wasn't certain (so cross your fingers for today/tomorrow!).

When is NYU going to move up in the rankings!!!!

I am sick and tired of it being ranked lower than top 20. I just don't know why NYU doesn't just do more research to get more NIH funding so it can move up in the rankings?!

Also, what is the deal with the renovations. What is happening and can we get a progress report?

I called yesterday and the woman I spoke with said that there would probably be movement next week, not this week. However, she said that she really wasn't certain (so cross your fingers for today/tomorrow!).

Thanks for calling!! Let's hope it's this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.