2009-2010 NYU Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got the housing info, and it lists "prospective roommate" with no email address...anybody else find this odd? How are we supposed to get in touch to coordinate kitchen stuff?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought that was weird as well. All you gotta do though is go to your NYU e-mail and once inside you can use some search feature to find everyone's e-mail address if you know their first and last name. It is kind of hard to find though, took me a couple of minutes bumping around there.

I thought that was weird as well. All you gotta do though is go to your NYU e-mail and once inside you can use some search feature to find everyone's e-mail address if you know their first and last name. It is kind of hard to find though, took me a couple of minutes bumping around there.

I guess the "prospective" part won't become official until both people return the contract, thus they don't put you in touch until then.

I did google my prospy, and snooped him that way...pretty impressive dude.

Members don't see this ad :)
cant wait to meet you all =) quick question though.. are we supposed to get renter's insurance???

cant wait to meet you all =) quick question though.. are we supposed to get renter's insurance???

They gave us a link for it. I dunno...not too worried about it, but if it is cheap, I will probably get it.

If anybody checks into the cost, please post.

Last edited:
Maybe I am stupid, but how can you tell?

I could not understand the room number logic to save my life...

I asked about the rooms and for example if room is 6FI then 6F is the unit and your room number is 1. the rooms are already assigned.

I asked about the rooms and for example if room is 6FI then 6F is the unit and your room number is 1. the rooms are already assigned.

Is 6 the floor number? What is a unit? Is "F" for female?

They gave us a link for it. I dunno...not too worried about it, but if it is cheap, I will probably get it.

If anybody checks into the cost, please post.

Where's the link for renter's insurance?

6F1:
6th floor
Apt F (A~K I think)
Room 1 of a two-person apt. There is also one quad apt and two single studios per floor.

6F1:
6th floor
Apt F (A~K I think)
Room 1 of a two-person apt. There is also one quad apt and two single studios per floor.

That makes a little more sense, but my "room number" has an extra alpha in the code that I have no clue about. Oh well, I will just have to be surprised when I move in.

So your room is pre assigned, meaning you can't pick which room you want in the suite in case you "beat" your suite mate to the move in? That is probably the fair thing to do...I realize they are basically identical, but there could be a diff in view, and diff in nearness to the toilet...

Members don't see this ad :)
hi i have an extra white coat ceremony ticket that i'm willing to sell. please pm me asap

RE renter's insurance: in one section of the housing info, it says "strongly recommend," and in another it says it is mandatory...anybody called yet for clarification?

It also says you need insurance for "bodily injury" - that isn't to insure against your bodily injury, but if a guest in your apartment suffers such...I have never had any such insurance in a dorm or apartment, but I guess NYC is a different place...

I spoke with the housing office last week and they said it was only recommended and that few students actually got it.

I currently have renters insurance and will continue to have it. It's generally pretty cheap. Plus, it offers a sense of security if you have expensive stuff (eg electronics, jewelry).

Does the bathroom have a shower stall, with a door or in need of a curtain, or a tub/shower combo requiring a curtain?

Does the bathroom have a shower stall, with a door or in need of a curtain, or a tub/shower combo requiring a curtain?

They're all tub/showers with plastic curtains, but you can bring your own if you want it to look nice :)

for 2 people suite, the living room (common area) doesn't seem any bigger than the rooms.. so are all of you guys bringing your own tv for your room or sharing in livingroom??

on the same note, do we have to bring a lamp??

for 2 people suite, the living room (common area) doesn't seem any bigger than the rooms.. so are all of you guys bringing your own tv for your room or sharing in livingroom??

I assume each bedroom has a cable connection, not the common area.

Good question on a lamp. I would say yes.

Honestly, housing could do a lot better job of informing us, posting pictures, etc.

From what I remember when I saw the units, the "common area" is more of a hallway than it is a room.

any advice for ppl applying this cycle :)

& congrats, ya'll must be really excited.

what's the link to the renter's insurance? I didn't see it...

what's the link to the renter's insurance? I didn't see it...

My bad: No link, only a mention to get it. Your best bet is to check for companies on the internet, or maybe inquire with the company that insures your family home.

did everybody get in contact with their roommate?? since we dont have their info and only way is to look through nyu.. im wondering if ppl try to get in touch beforehand?

Any idea what the cable TV hookup requires? Coax?

Yes, coax.

I can't believe I'll be seeing all of you in 5 days!

JmanDO:

Are you already there?

If so: is the shower a shower/tub combo? Do we need to bring a shower curtain?

Are the mattresses "new" for new students, or, ahem, used?

Yea, the welcome mats are rolling out, the lobby looks remarkably difft even from yesterday.

Yes, it's a shower/tub combo, they come with plain white curtains.
They're old mattresses, but in a recent email they said you could bring your own mattress if you contacted them ahead of time to let them know. You could also take a trip to Ikea in Brooklyn or go to BB&Bynd just a few blocks away to buy a new one (which is what I did).

Regardless, you definitely need clean sheets and blankets.

Is the A/C in the rooms comfortable? Would a fan be helpful?

Very. That's unnecessary. I go by the motto of packing lite.

Is the internet wireless? Do they give you access info at check-in?

Yes, they have wireless internet. No router or modem needed. Check your NYU email for access info.

Status
Not open for further replies.