2009-2010 NYU Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know what the dress code is for second look?

Members don't see this ad.

:lame: seriously? do schools actually have dress codes for second look? we're accepted now; i think we can stop sucking up by wearing nice clothes.

I don't know of any schools that have a dress code. Most people will be wearing business casual. However, at one of mine, I wore a nice pair of jeans and a polo and I didn't feel out of place. It really is up to you. Just, please, don't go in a suit.

Members don't see this ad :)
:lame: seriously? do schools actually have dress codes for second look? we're accepted now; i think we can stop sucking up by wearing nice clothes.

Wow. I thought second looks were more of a jeans and tshirt type of thing.

Wow. I thought second looks were more of a jeans and tshirt type of thing.

me too. i wasn't even planning on business casual. i'm coming straight from my office anyway, so i'll be grungy. yeah, i wear jeans and sneakers to work.

Did NYU send out any kind of confirmation you registered for revisit? Or have they sent any additional info? Haven't heard a peep back from them...

Did NYU send out any kind of confirmation you registered for revisit? Or have they sent any additional info? Haven't heard a peep back from them...

nope. just a reminder to RSVP, even though i already had. though i'm wishing i hadn't, because i'm probably not going now.

nope. just a reminder to RSVP, even though i already had. though i'm wishing i hadn't, because i'm probably not going now.

I am in the same boat - I registered, but now I can't go...not too worried about it since they haven't exactly been very forthcoming with info and updates.

Wow, just got an email from NYU telling me I had multiple acceptances and need to let them know soon. I haven't even been to admit weekends yet at most places and they're already pressuring me, lol.

Wow, just got an email from NYU telling me I had multiple acceptances and need to let them know soon. I haven't even been to admit weekends yet at most places and they're already pressuring me, lol.

Same here.

**** 'em...

Same here. Maybe they would have more accepted applicants committed if they made an effort to make them feel that NYU is a better choice than their other acceptances.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

Same here.

**** 'em...

Yeah, I hadn't planned to relinquish acceptances until May 15th...just in case I have some unexpected change of heart or odd life event that makes my geographical preferences different.

Members don't see this ad :)
as you said on the penn thread, do they really want to give out waitlist acceptances before then anyway. Then, they risk having the waitlisted candidates reject the offer.

Yeah, I hadn't planned to relinquish acceptances until May 15th...just in case I have some unexpected change of heart or odd life event that makes my geographical preferences different.

Even though we talk about it like it's a rule, I don't think that schools necessarily have to give you until May 15th to drop other acceptances. As far as I can tell, it's just a strong suggestion by the AAMC.

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/admissionofficers.htm

yeah that email pissed me off like nothing else.

**** 'em...

my thoughts exactly.

Same here. Maybe they would have more accepted applicants committed if they made an effort to make them feel that NYU is a better choice than their other acceptances.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

:laugh: :thumbup:

Even though we talk about it like it's a rule, I don't think that schools necessarily have to give you until May 15th to drop other acceptances. As far as I can tell, it's just a strong suggestion by the AAMC.

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/admissionofficers.htm

okay, so they don't let us hold acceptances until may 15th because it's only a strong suggestion, not a rule. our deposits have to be refundable until then, so what would the consequences of doing something "not allowed" be?

First NYU is wack with their aid and then they tell you to hurry up and make a decision?? I know its a good school, but NYU needs to check themselves.

Really? The email says that NYU would appreciate it if you let them know before 5/15 because it would help them out, nothing more nor less. It would likely be excessive for them to go **** themselves or check themselves or apologize because of it... but maybe I'm being too insensitive.

Really? The email says that NYU would appreciate it if you let them know before 5/15 because it would help them out, nothing more nor less. It would likely be excessive for them to go **** themselves or check themselves or apologize because of it... but maybe I'm being too insensitive.

Asking people to hurry up, right after their crap finaid offers and even before their own revisit, is sufficient grounds for being told to **** themselves or how ever one wishes to express their disgust.

Quote from the email: "We are, however, at the point of completing the entering class and would appreciate it if you would let us know your final plans as soon as possible."

There are several rude and insulting things about this email:

1. No salutation or opening like "congrats on getting accepted to NYU" or "congrats on getting multiple offers."

2. When they listed the schools, they wrote out their own whole name, but called all the other schools by made-up nicknames. Who are they to call Oregon Health and Science University "Oregon"? It's ranked higher than NYU.

3. They jerked us around for MONTHS and MONTHS. We waited for the secondary, then for the interview, then for the acceptance, then for the financial aid. We waited months (and I made several unanswered requests) to find out whether their dorms are changing, how much the housing will cost, and whether their entire curriculum is totally changing. Now it is their turn to wait and they can't handle literally ONE WEEK?

Sorry, NYU, but I'm with flip26. I'm going to give all the schools (the majority of whom haven't even given me financial aid info yet) full consideration and not make any rash decisions. I mean, come on, NYU is pressuring us to make our "final plans as soon as possible" BEFORE their second look?

We laid down the love for NYU when they had the cards, during the secondary and interview. Now we have the cards. They should be courting us.

4. Last but not least, why in the world didn't they end the email with saying "we would love to have you in the class of 2014" or "we feel your strong credentials make you a good fit for our fine institution"??? This is their last sentence: " If you plan to withdraw, we must receive a withdrawal letter via email from you by May 15, 2010 in order to refund your $100 matriculation deposit." Way to throw down the love.

Last edited:
How could they know they are near the point of completing the entering class? Don't most people either withdraw or do nothing, as in if you don't withdraw by 5/15 then that is what tells them you are coming.

Quote from the email: "We are, however, at the point of completing the entering class and would appreciate it if you would let us know your final plans as soon as possible."

There are several rude and insulting things about this email:

1. No salutation or opening like "congrats for getting accepted to NYU" or "congrats for getting multiple offers."

2. When they listed the schools, they wrote out their whole name, but called all the other schools by made-up nicknames. Who are they to call Oregon Health and Science University "Oregon"? It's ranked higher than NYU.

3. They jerked us around for MONTHS and MONTHS. We waited for the secondary, then for the interview, then for the acceptance, then for the financial aid. We waited months (and I made several unanswered requests) to find out whether their dorms are changing, how much the housing will cost, and whether their entire curriculum is totally changing. Now it is their turn to wait and they can't handle literally ONE WEEK?

Sorry, NYU, but I'm with flip26. I'm going to give all the schools (the majority of whom haven't even given me financial aid info yet) full consideration and not make any rash decisions. I mean, come on, NYU is pressuring us to make our "final plans as soon as possible" BEFORE their second look?

We laid down the love for NYU when they had the cards, during the secondary and interview. Now we have the cards. They should be courting us.

4. Last but not least, why in the world didn't they end the email with saying "we would love to have you in the class of 2014" or "we feel your strong credentials make you a good fit for our fine institution"??? This is their last sentence: " If you plan to withdraw, we must receive a withdrawal letter via email from you by May 15, 2010 in order to refund your $100 matriculation deposit." Way to throw down the love.

I sort of agree. I was insulted by this email...it was cold and basically like "Um..chose us already or withdraw so we don't have to deal with your indecisiveness anymore". I have a month. I'd be fine with this email say...around early to mid-May. Sending it now is just kind of rude.

Especially considering that I signed up for second look, because I definitely wanted to give NYU a chance before I enrolled at Sinai...it almost made me want to not go.

I sort of agree. I was insulted by this email...it was cold and basically like "Um..chose us already or withdraw so we don't have to deal with your indecisiveness anymore". I have a month. I'd be fine with this email say...around early to mid-May. Sending it now is just kind of rude.

Especially considering that I signed up for second look, because I definitely wanted to give NYU a chance before I enrolled at Sinai...it almost made me want to not go.

lots of things have made me not want to go to NYU's revisit. if i EVER get finaid packages from ANY other schools, i will withdraw. but for now, i can't. i'm so angry at them.

Alright, it was a cold email, but try to remember that there are a ton of us for whom NYU is a dream school. We would love to be in your situation.

Crossing my fingers, then crossing that cross of fingers.... to get off the wait list.

Alright, it was a cold email, but try to remember that there are a ton of us for whom NYU is a dream school. We would love to be in your situation.

Crossing my fingers, then crossing that cross of fingers.... to get off the wait list.

Then all of this NYU hate from us accepted applicants should encourage you - looks like lots of people are going to be dropping this one, including in all likelihood moi...

Then all of this NYU hate from us accepted applicants should encourage you - looks like lots of people are going to be dropping this one, including in all likelihood moi...

and me

and me.

Here's the email btw:

According to information provided to us by the Association of American Medical Colleges, you are still holding places at NYU School of Medicine, Hogwarts, Ravenclaw Medical School, and Hufflepuff School of Medicine.

It is entirely possible that you have withdrawn from the other school(s) since the AAMC report was compiled. We are, however, at the point of completing the entering class and would appreciate it if you would let us know your final plans as soon as possible. If you plan to withdraw, we must receive a withdrawal letter via email from you by May 15, 2010 in order to refund your $100 matriculation deposit.

I felt like they were trying to get me to withdraw.

and me.

Here's the email btw:

According to information provided to us by the Association of American Medical Colleges, you are still holding places at NYU School of Medicine, Hogwarts, Ravenclaw Medical School, and Hufflepuff School of Medicine.

It is entirely possible that you have withdrawn from the other school(s) since the AAMC report was compiled. We are, however, at the point of completing the entering class and would appreciate it if you would let us know your final plans as soon as possible. If you plan to withdraw, we must receive a withdrawal letter via email from you by May 15, 2010 in order to refund your $100 matriculation deposit.

Yes, precisely. NYU was trying to weed out those who have scholarships at Harvard, Hopkins, Penn, Columbia, and oh yea, NYU and just didn't bother to make it official.

As someone who really wants to go to NYU, this looks like good news that there will be serious waitlist movement. But to those already accepted, take all the time you need to make an informed decision -- but do eventually withdraw from NYU ;)

and me.

Here's the email btw:

No luck from Gryffindor? :(

I will likely be withdrawing too unless second look convinces me otherwise. You should be very encouraged if you are on the waitlist. Take a look at the US News stats on how many accepted applicants acctually enroll if you need further encouragement. You won't find this fun little fact on the NYU SOM website.

Would someone mind posting that info of % of students. It would be greatly appreciated.

Couldn't you interpret it to mean they are "completing the entering class" and that is not good for waitlisted students? They could be trying to get people to withdraw because they are almost full, or because they want to give out more acceptances. But I guess based on the past stats, the latter is hopefully more likely.

According to eduers.com, 435 were accepted and 160 enrolled (37%). The other schools I looked at (admittedly a small sampling) were at 50%.

Couldn't you interpret it to mean they are "completing the entering class" and that is not good for waitlisted students? They could be trying to get people to withdraw because they are almost full, or because they want to give out more acceptances. But I guess based on the past stats, the latter is hopefully more likely.

"Completing the entering class" has to be generic language. Kind of like "our class is full" or "our waitlist is not ranked".

To all those who are unhappy with NYU, just remember that these emails are coming from the admissions people and those are not the ones you will deal with if you attend NYU. So do not judge NYU just based on these emails.

I am personally unhappy with the financial aid offer and this may force me to withdraw (unfortunately) but otherwise I would really love to go here.

To all those who are unhappy with NYU, just remember that these emails are coming from the admissions people and those are not the ones you will deal with if you attend NYU. So do not judge NYU just based on these emails.

I am personally unhappy with the financial aid offer and this may force me to withdraw (unfortunately) but otherwise I would really love to go here.

yeah, for me it was the financial aid that really did me in. then that email just added insult to injury. plus it was never my first choice to begin with, so who cares.

And in case you were wondering, NYU was 31 last year. So they jumped four spots in a year. Not bad

I got a letter today from Loyola saying (like NYU's), "We know you have multiple acceptances." Compare and contrast with NYU's letter...

NYU's letter:

According to information provided to us by the Association of American Medical Colleges, you are still holding places at NYU School of Medicine, XXX, YYY, Loyola-Stritch, and Oregon.

Sincerely,
ZZZ

Now here is Loyola's (italics and bold are theirs, not mine):

Dear Applicant:

We hope that our greeting finds you well and enjoying springtime as you eagerly anticipate beginning your medical education. We look forward to welcoming you into our student body during orientation week, which begins on July 26, 2010. We will be providing you with information over the next several weeks that will answer many of the questions and concerns you may have in regard to your matriculation at the Stritch School of Medicine.

The most recent "Multiple Acceptance Report" posted on the Association of American Medical Colleges Website indicates that Loyola-Stritch is not the only medical school interested in your becoming a member of their Entering Class. This is undoubtedly a very exciting time for you, despite the decision-making at hand as to which medical school you will attend. We of course hope that you will decide that Loyola is the best "match" for you, and encourage you to let us know if there is anything we can do to assist you in making your decision.

All good wishes to you and yours!

Sincerely,
XXX

I hope that admissions people from NYU read this. If I was having trouble choosing between these two schools, who do you think I'd be leaning toward now? Who gives me a better vibe?

Last edited:
So.. what do you guys think:

I've been accepted to U Michigan and NYU, and waitlisted at cornell and columbia.

Come May 15, which should I agree to?

Pros for NYU: location (I really want to be in NYC even for residency)
Pros for Michigan: pretty much only ranking.

I had a better time at NYU but I interviewed here early, so I'm sure that skewed my perception. I'm also doing research at Weill this summer in hopes that it will help my chances on the waitlists. Thoughts? Any help would be great!

I got a letter today from Loyola saying (like NYU's), "We know you have multiple acceptances." Compare and contrast with NYU's letter...

NYU's letter:

According to information provided to us by the Association of American Medical Colleges, you are still holding places at NYU School of Medicine, XXX, YYY, Loyola-Stritch, and Oregon.

Sincerely,
ZZZ

Now here is Loyola's (italics and bold is theirs, not mine):

Dear Applicant:

We hope that our greeting finds you well and enjoying springtime as you eagerly anticipate beginning your medical education. We look forward to welcoming you into our student body during orientation week, which begins on July 26, 2010. We will be providing you with information over the next several weeks that will answer many of the questions and concerns you may have in regard to your matriculation at the Stritch School of Medicine.

The most recent "Multiple Acceptance Report" posted on the Association of American Medical Colleges Website indicates that Loyola-Stritch is not the only medical school interested in your becoming a member of their Entering Class. This is undoubtedly a very exciting time for you, despite the decision-making at hand as to which medical school you will attend. We of course hope that you will decide that Loyola is the best "match" for you, and encourage you to let us know ifthere is anything we can do to assist you in making your decision.

All good wishes to you and yours!

Sincerely,
XXX

I hope that admissions people from NYU read this. If I was having trouble choosing between these two schools, who do you think I'd be leaning toward now? Who gives me a better vibe?

:laugh: :thumbup:

Pros for NYU: location (I really want to be in NYC even for residency)
Pros for Michigan: pretty much only ranking.

I'm no expert, but I'm fairly sure that if you want to get a residency in NYC, you should go to school on the east coast.

I loved the NYU 2nd Visit. I even saw the fabled 26th street dorms, MUCH better than Rubin. Spoke to lots of faculty I'd like to work with and had fun, they really treated us.

100% chance coming here.

I loved the NYU 2nd Visit. I even saw the fabled 26th street dorms, MUCH better than Rubin. Spoke to lots of faculty I'd like to work with and had fun, they really treated us.

100% chance coming here.

Cool, did you get off the waitlist? Earlier in the thread I thought you got invited to the 2nd look even though you're on the waitlist.

100% chance coming here.

wait, so confused. i thought the revisit was the 22nd-23rd? or did you go to a MSTP-specific one?

either way, i think i'm withdrawing on monday. hope one of you waitlisters enjoys my spot :lame:

Me too. Should be withdrawing, but I might wait until after Sinai second look. Unfortunately, can't attend NYU second look...why did they have to make it a Thursday night?!

Hope my spot goes to a waitlistee here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.