2009-2010 Ohio State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the reason behind not getting to the waitlist till June? Isn't the last date to hold multiple acceptances May 15th anyways?
Sometimes schools (presumably like OSU) like to replace withdrawn acceptees with similar candidates on the WL instead of just taking the "next in line" on the list. So they'll review WL candidates who are similar to the acceptees that withdrew and replace them that way.

EX: Non-trad. candidate with unique experiences and average/below average stats for that school withdraws gets replaced by a non-trad. candidate similar experiences on WL.

Members don't see this ad.

Sometimes schools (presumably like OSU) like to replace withdrawn acceptees with similar candidates on the WL instead of just taking the "next in line" on the list. So they'll review WL candidates who are similar to the acceptees that withdrew and replace them that way.

EX: Non-trad. candidate with unique experiences and average/below average stats for that school withdraws gets replaced by a non-trad. candidate similar experiences on WL.

perhaps.

last year was the same way. I think the first person to report on SDN was in early June.

:xf:

No reason was given, so I have no idea.

It's because there won't be any open spots until early June. Last year, OSU's class was still over enrolled by at least 30-40 on May 15th. It takes the whole cascade of people getting off waitlists at other schools and deciding to go somewhere else for there to be movement.

As soon as spots start to open up they will start calling people.

Members don't see this ad :)
What email address are people writing to in order to withdraw?

its sorta late, most good places that are close are gone, but there are definitely quite a bit of places around. We've been looking for the past month, the good ones are mostly rented

Late reply, but if you are able to start your lease a little after the md graduation, it will also end just after graduation (when you might need to move somewhere else for residency.) This will let you end the lease normally instead of having to worry about going month to month, or subletting.

I had to start mine early (last weekend) to get the apt we wanted, so I'm going to have this problem in a few years, but maybe you can avoid it.

anyone know how to check or get into their name.#@osu.edu email?

the windowslive mailbox program seems to want a name.#@buckeyemail.osu.edu login name and I'm not sure what that's all about??

Last year, Ohio State changed their email service to the windowslive version to accommodate more storage space for students. With this change, everyone's email address changed from @osu.edu to @buckeyemail.osu.edu. There was a bunch of red tape for current students to jump through to get their new email addresses or keep their old one (I'm an undergrad here on the waitlist for OSU med).

If you go to osu.edu, there's a quick link towards the bottom of the page that says "webmail." Click on it, and it'll take you to a page with 2 email options. Try clicking on the OSU webmail link and using your osu.edu email. This email service technically closed to students at the end of 2009, but it might still work for you. If not, try your osu.edu email in the buckeye mail log in.

If that doesn't work, give them a call I guess and see what's going on.

Just received a dean merit scholarship but I will still be withdrawing. Good luck to everyone the waitlist! OSU is a great place this was a hard withdrawal.

Does anyone know what day orientation starts? Thanks!

Does anyone know what day orientation starts? Thanks!

On that note, does anyone know when classes are finished for MS1? I'm trying to find out how long of a lease term to sign.

Members don't see this ad :)
On that note, does anyone know when classes are finished for MS1? I'm trying to find out how long of a lease term to sign.

Typically, it's the second week of June, but that might be changing as they redo the curriculum to realign with the change to semesters.

Has anyone heard anything about the waitlist movement yet? Is the class still overbooked?

Waitlist movement probably won't happen till early June bc they are still overbooked according to the admissions office.

Is anybody planning on taking part in the Summer Pre-Entry Program from June 22 - July 30?

I think there's a discussion thread on this on the OSU COM Class of 2014 Facebook group. You might also try the class thread in the allopathic forum.

When is the orientation material supposed to go out? I am starting to feel excited for the fall already

Is anybody planning on taking part in the Summer Pre-Entry Program from June 22 - July 30?

I'm just going to use the summer to chill out and do nothing. I really am not in a hurry to start classes or do anything productive for a couple of months.

So i figured I'd post some recently garnered info. I called last week (yeah sorry for the delay) and was told that the class is still overbooked, they haven't grouped deferred applicants into top half and bottom half (that this happens at all is news to me) and that it will probably be a few weeks, which is like the first week of June or so. That seems to correlate well with the events of last years cycle. Anyway I hope that helps and doesn't feed our growing neuroticism.

So i figured I'd post some recently garnered info. I called last week (yeah sorry for the delay) and was told that the class is still overbooked, they haven't grouped deferred applicants into top half and bottom half (that this happens at all is news to me) and that it will probably be a few weeks, which is like the first week of June or so. That seems to correlate well with the events of last years cycle. Anyway I hope that helps and doesn't feed our growing neuroticism.

Cool thanks for the info!

Hey, sorry I didn't see your post until now but I am planning on taking part in that program. Got the email a week or so back that I got in and have already looked into getting graduate housing at the Neil dorms locked down for the length of the program (moving into a house afterwards). Looks like the only dorm room they could find for me was a quad. At $710 a month it's not a joke though, lol.

Just withdrew after getting in off a waitlist at a more preferred school. I hope the spot goes to a fellow SDNer!! good luck

Just withdrew after getting in off a waitlist at a more preferred school. I hope the spot goes to a fellow SDNer!! good luck

Thanks for letting us know! Congratulations on your other acceptance and good luck!

On another note, I called again today. Seriously, they are the nicest people. She thanked me for calling and asking and told me to call again! I love this school!

Anyway, the class is still full. Boo.:(

Also called today. I was told that the class is still overbooked by about 15 people. At the current rate people are dropping (she said around 4-5 people a week decide to go somewhere else), the earliest we can expect them to pull from the waitlist is late June.

Here's to more waiting. Fingers crossed.

just bought football tickets to all the home games including miami even though im still on the waitlist :D (went to undergrad at osu for all you wondering). hopefully i can get off because i really want to go to that game :xf:

just bought football tickets to all the home games including miami even though im still on the waitlist :D (went to undergrad at osu for all you wondering). hopefully i can get off because i really want to go to that game :xf:

True buckeyefan right there, miami was sold out for me :(

Also called today. I was told that the class is still overbooked by about 15 people. At the current rate people are dropping (she said around 4-5 people a week decide to go somewhere else), the earliest we can expect them to pull from the waitlist is late June.

Good to know.

withdrew via email and medstar friday. really thought osu was awsome, but miami gave me a scholarship I couldnt pass up.

Hope the list starts moving faster, and that you guys all get the good news phone call soon!

withdrew via email and medstar friday. really thought osu was awsome, but miami gave me a scholarship I couldnt pass up.

Hope the list starts moving faster, and that you guys all get the good news phone call soon!

Thanks for letting us know. Every little tiny sign of hope helps for those of us waiting. Congrats on Miami and good luck!

15....which is not the same as how many people they called as there might have been some who declined the offered spot.

:( fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Also, I hate to be a downer but two years ago they didn't take anybody off the waitlist (according to an office person) :(:(

Got the checklist of things to do for orientation - well it looks like we'll all be attending the 8:00 am sessions for that week (I guess the days of waking up at noon and skipping classes are over). Do they really want us to know how many people we're bringing to White Coat ceremonies by June 15? Not even my family knows if they'll be free in August by that time.

Got the checklist of things to do for orientation - well it looks like we'll all be attending the 8:00 am sessions for that week (I guess the days of waking up at noon and skipping classes are over). Do they really want us to know how many people we're bringing to White Coat ceremonies by June 15? Not even my family knows if they'll be free in August by that time.

I would just estimate how many, and go larger, the union ball room is gigantic

Hi,

We are two future M1's looking for one more roommate. The address of the house is 387 W. 5th Ave in the Victorian Village/Harrison West area -- it is definitely within walking distance (roughly 10 minutes) of the medical school (which is what we intend to do to avoid the hassle of fighting for parking!). The house itself has three bedrooms and 1.5 bathrooms. Everything is pretty new, and it comes with its own washer and dryer as well. The rooms are all very nicely sized. It has a kitchen and dining area along with a separate living room area. There are also two personal parking spaces and ample street parking. The rent is $500 + utilities.

If you have any questions or are interested, feel free to PM me here. You can also reach me at 740-743-6661.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey had anyone got any word on how likely it is that they will form a waitlist or is it pretty much too late to say that anyone will get in since their class is overbooked?

Sorry to sound pessimistic but I've been trying here for 3 years and no luck thus fair.

anyone know anything about this property?

http://www.ohiostaterentals.com/properties/42-50_W_Oakland_Ave.htm

because there are some reviews online..over the course of 7 yrs all the reviews were pretty grim.. there were only 7 or 8.. ofcourse people dont seek out sites to review places unless they are pissed and are writing something bad.. so im just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience here..

Any word on waitlist ranking or movement? Last I heard, class was overbooked. Anyone have any information to negate that?

Heres to hoping the wait list ends up moving soon! I love OSU and really hope I get in!

anyone know anything about this property?

http://www.ohiostaterentals.com/properties/42-50_W_Oakland_Ave.htm

because there are some reviews online..over the course of 7 yrs all the reviews were pretty grim.. there were only 7 or 8.. ofcourse people dont seek out sites to review places unless they are pissed and are writing something bad.. so im just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience here..

Try posting that question on the incoming class Facebook page.

I'd like to know the same thing. I could have sworn that we were to hear our waitlist rankings at some point......... I guess that the class is WAY overbooked. :/ Congrats to those of you that got in! I wish I knew I was in for next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.