2009-2010 Ohio State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
+1... Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Ditto that....as much as I'd really like to go to second look, I've been back in L.A. less than a week, so it's just not realistic

any info would be much appreciated

It really varies from year to year. The year I was accepted (2005), nearly half of the class was accepted off the deferred list (which would be ~100). I think this number has steadily declined, though, as OSU has moved up the rankings, continued to improve it's interview day/recruitment process, and more people choose OSU over their other acceptances.

Good luck!

Last year there were only 15 off the waitlist.

Also, for what its worth, after talking to other people I know who have come off the waitlist here, most of them didn't write any letters of intent or interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Second Look Weekend was great. They're sending award letters out next week via e-mail that will list all scholarships and loans that you're being offered.

Folks,

Tomorrow morning I will be withdrawing from THE Ohio State and declining my Dean Scholarship full-ride to attend the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine (CCLCM).

I am honored and thankful that OSU took a chance and has welcomed me with open arms.

I hope this expedites the awarding of the scholarship and acceptance to someone else on this forum.

This was a difficult decision, and I wish all of you the best of luck!

Can you guys let me know how second look weekend is and what I missed? I won't be able to attend. Mucho Gracias.

Second Look Weekend was great! The school, program, deans, ect... were extremely impressive and OSU has an excellent program! The faculty and MDs do everything they can to help the students learn, get involved, and become excellent physicians. I was 99% sure I was going to OSU before, but now I am 1,000% sure.

If you are looking for more info about the school, much of the info that was given during the weekend is on their website, and current students are available to anwser questions on the facebook page (The Ohio State University College of Medicine Class of 2014).

GO BUCKS!!! :D

2nd look weekend was definitely fun. The day pretty much started with a registration at the medical school. In the first half hour, I probably saw half a dozen people that were on interviews at other schools that I applied to. It took a while to break the ice but everyone seemed pretty chill. I met a lot of people from Cleveland and Cincinnati as well as CA, NY, and PA. Some people brought their bf/gf, spouse, Signifant others, or one of their parents.

We were all ushered into the auditorium and then Dean Capers, Dr. Souba (the Dean of the Med School), and Dr. Gabbes (the CEO of the OSU medical center) gave a speech about how great the program is and how they've invested a billion dollars in the medical facilities. If you didn't know this, the OSU medical center is now #10 in terms of oncology and #37 (out of about 5000 hospitals) in terms of cardiac care. Basically, it's a great place to go if you're interested in these fields and almost all of their other programs are nationally recognized. People who graduate from OSU go on to very prestigious residency programs all over the country.

We then had a student panel where a group of students answered our questions about student life. Several notable things that they talked about was the fact that it's pretty easy to find housing around the OSU medical campus within walking distance. Most people seem to go and live at the Quarry or The Meridian, other's found roomates and rented a house with the Veternary or Pharmacy students. They also mentioned that for the IP pathway, the professors give all the students a coursepack with all the printed material so people don't buy all of the textbooks.

One of the financial aid advisor came and gave a talk and mentioned that first year cost was going to be about $30,000 for tuition ($46,000 if you're out of state) and another $16,000 for cost of living (so $52,000 total for IS and $68,000 for OOS). If you're OOS, you have to live off of loans for an entire year and not accept any parental contributions in order to be considered a resident. OSU apparently also gives out a lot of need based and merit scholarships so that 60-80% of the class eventually receives some kind of scholarship or need based money.

We then had a trolley tour of Columbus and one of the current med students pointed out several interesting thing about the city and the landmark. After that we went to Franklin Park conservatory and had a buffet dinner. We pretty much schmoozed amongst ourselves the rest of the night and I know some people went out to a bar (I'm happy to report that the area around the medical school is very safe, even at 12:00 am when you're stumbling back to the garage).

If you weren't able to make it, don't worry. Almost all of the information was avaiable off of the OSUCOM website. The only thing that 2nd look weekend provided was a chance to meet some of your future classmates. The whole thing kind of had the quality of orientation day at the start of college were you met a whole group of new people and got to know their names and where they're from and probably won't see them again for a few months.

Agggh! I'm so anxiously awaiting my award letter - I can't stand it! I'm pretty sure that information gets posted here under "Your Status". I'm desperately hoping I get something. I'm ready to commit to OSU unless my in-state school can really blow them out of the water in terms of finances.

Hi guys, So, I am deferred/decision pending and sent my FAFSA in already. I got an email from OSU asking me to fill out some paperwork. Did everyone who is deferred get this email? If you're in the same boat, do we go ahead and fill it out?

Hi guys, So, I am deferred/decision pending and sent my FAFSA in already. I got an email from OSU asking me to fill out some paperwork. Did everyone who is deferred get this email? If you're in the same boat, do we go ahead and fill it out?

I am deferred as well and I did not receive this email....

Call/e-mail the med school financial aid office and ask them. If it's verification type paperwork that came from the main campus FA office, it can probably wait until you are accepted.

I didn't get it either. What was the paperwork?

Members don't see this ad :)
Call/e-mail the med school financial aid office and ask them. If it's verification type paperwork that came from the main campus FA office, it can probably wait until you are accepted.

That's exactly what it was. I don't wanna get everyone hyped up. I don't think it's an indication of anything... I just didn't know what to do with it because to "verify" the paperwork, you need a buckID... which I, obviously, don't have.

Good luck everyone!

Edit: I contacted the financial aid office and let them know, as well.

financial aid posted on buckeyelink now

Agggh! I'm so anxiously awaiting my award letter - I can't stand it! I'm pretty sure that information gets posted here under "Your Status". I'm desperately hoping I get something. I'm ready to commit to OSU unless my in-state school can really blow them out of the water in terms of finances.

How do we get on buckeyelink?

that guy's link, then click on buckeyelink, and enter your osu account and go under financial aid

Is the OSUID the lastname.XXXXX thing?

ya, i believe so.

Were we suppose to get 2 emails, or just one?? I'm confused about the paragraph starting with "If you filed a Free Application...."

for all getting the error message, i believe i've figured it out... we are "future students"..... go under future students and click financial aid status... etc etc....

i'd like to know how i didn't qualify for any aid ...... :( ......

So...After receiving our financial aid award notifications, who all wants to join my Poor/Broke Med Student group???

Womp. Womp.

for all getting the error message, i believe i've figured it out... we are "future students"..... go under future students and click financial aid status... etc etc....

Ah...thanks :thumbup:

Looks like I got a little bit, probably not enough to make a difference though....

I'm going to be sooooooo POOOORRRR for the next 8+ years......:(:(:(:( doop doop doop.

Well, while it is loan money, it seems like they give us a fair amount to live on..... i'm not too concerned about that part...... i just think that it will be a huge sum to pay back after we are out of residency!

+1 on 0 aid club or whatever its called!

Well, the game may not be over. I'm assuming people will continue to drop until May 15 and it's possible that some of them have scholarships. One of the med students told me that they got a scholarship at the end of May. Not to mention all of the money available to Med 2s and beyond that we aren't eligible for.

No money here either. However, when I look at what students pay at private schools with half of the research opportunities and technology that OSU has, I feel much better about the COA.

Well, the game may not be over. I'm assuming people will continue to drop until May 15 and it's possible that some of them have scholarships. One of the med students told me that they got a scholarship at the end of May. Not to mention all of the money available to Med 2s and beyond that we aren't eligible for.

Aha, that's true! Although when I called the financial office a bit ago the lady told me that my family was "just above" the limit for need based aid.... ARGH! What, 50 cents over? or thousands? How aggravating.......

Pretty sure this means I didn't get anything but just to confirm, is everyone else who didn't receive any financial aid getting this message:

There is no financial aid information found.

or does it look like something different?

Pretty sure this means I didn't get anything but just to confirm, is everyone else who didn't receive any financial aid getting this message:

or does it look like something different?

Mine lists Stafford Loans and a link to GradPlus loans.

Aha, that's true! Although when I called the financial office a bit ago the lady told me that my family was "just above" the limit for need based aid.... ARGH! What, 50 cents over? or thousands? How aggravating.......

That's annoying. If they really cared about financial aid, they could always just lower tuition. They charge what they can because they can, not because they need to.

Anyone else find it amusing how their financial aid "award" (accompanied with a congratulatory email!) was just a bunch of loans. Since accruing interest will make my education more expensive, I don't see how that can be considered aid. Financing would be a better term.

Congratulations everyone on your financing awards!

well reading from the email, it seems that a very few people would even be eligible to get scholarships.

No money here either. However, when I look at what students pay at private schools with half of the research opportunities and technology that OSU has, I feel much better about the COA.

You guys are saying you don't see any loans listed? Because that's probably a mistake.

The lady I spoke to at the general financial aid offices for OSU said that any sort of subsidized loan is considered an award because you don't accrue any interest while you are in school.........

Also, from the OSUCOM website, 1 in 5 in the med1 class receives a need-based scholarship and 1 in 10 receives a merit-based one... On average......

For the OOS-ers that just got loan aid: Are you going to be taking out Private or Grad PLUS loans to cover the difference of the COA and what you can get via Stafford Sub/Unsub loans?

For the OOS-ers that just got loan aid: Are you going to be taking out Private or Grad PLUS loans to cover the difference of the COA and what you can get via Stafford Sub/Unsub loans?

I'm eligible for $8500 Stafford Sub, $34222 Stafford Unsub and the rest I can take out in GradPLUS loans. If I attend OSU, I'm taking out GradPLUS because of the fixed interest rate and I think it's much easier to consolidate with other federal loans. Plus, no cosigner is necessary.

0 aid here too which means that I'm definitely going to be withdrawing. Good luck to everyone and enjoy OSU. I'll continue to be a OSU football fan though.

so everyone (ppl who are on hold) get aid too?

im deferred here but since im a current student i can still look at financial aid and all it says is that the estimated financial aid need is $53707 but that there is no award data at this time

so everyone (ppl who are on hold) get aid too?

Okay well we all have access to the financial aid site because of that email we got long long ago after finishing the secondary.

Now I remember that the financial aid guy mentioned ever so breifly on interview day (so breifly that I can't be too sure it actually happened) that after completing the accepted students' aid that they begin work on the deferred applicants. Again not positive mostly because I am not usre how that works.

Okay well we all have access to the financial aid site because of that email we got long long ago after finishing the secondary.

Now I remember that the financial aid guy mentioned ever so breifly on interview day (so breifly that I can't be too sure it actually happened) that after completing the accepted students' aid that they begin work on the deferred applicants. Again not positive mostly because I am not usre how that works.

Thanks for the info! You're right about having access to the financial aid site! I had forgotten all about it, but once I found the email, it had all the login information there.

Thanks for the info! You're right about having access to the financial aid site! I had forgotten all about it, but once I found the email, it had all the login information there.

Yeah it should be on the buckeye link. However, there doesn't seem to be much scholarship money left even for those who were accepted outright. So far, I'm not aware of any in-state acceptee who've received a merit scholarship. Anyone want to contradict this?

Status
Not open for further replies.