2009-2010 Ohio State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it should be on the buckeye link. However, there doesn't seem to be much scholarship money left even for those who were accepted outright. So far, I'm not aware of any in-state acceptee who've received a merit scholarship. Anyone want to contradict this?

Most people who get merit scholarships (or any significant scholarship for that matter) aren't going to publicize it for various reasons. This may seem like a relatively anonymous forum, but it's surprisingly easy to figure out who people are on here, especially once classes start. I don't know what the ratio was in my class or if there's any set numbers, but it seemed like more in-staters had merit scholarships than out-of-staters.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most people who get merit scholarships (or any significant scholarship for that matter) aren't going to publicize it for various reasons. This may seem like a relatively anonymous forum, but it's surprisingly easy to figure out who people are on here, especially once classes start. I don't know what the ratio was in my class or if there's any set numbers, but it seemed like more in-staters had merit scholarships than out-of-staters.

Gotcha. I was refering to the fact that I personally talked with several accepted students, none of the in-state students said that they got any merit scholarship.

Last edited:
i'm surprised i didn't receive any need-based aid.

on the award list, is there supposed to be a dollar amount estimated anywhere? I don't see any figures for the stafford loan.

All I see are three figures: subsidized federal loan, unsubsidized federal loan, and GRADPLUS loans. I can't find a stafford loan amount.

I'm surprised as well by the lack of need based aid. In undergrad, it's pretty easy to apply for need based grants and scholarships and most people at my school received some kind of aid. Medical school though, I guess we're supposed to finance this entirely on loans

All I see are three figures: subsidized federal loan, unsubsidized federal loan, and GRADPLUS loans. I can't find a stafford loan amount.

I'm surprised as well by the lack of need based aid. In undergrad, it's pretty easy to apply for need based grants and scholarships and most people at my school received some kind of aid. Medical school though, I guess we're supposed to finance this entirely on loans

The subsidized and unsubsidized federal loans are Stafford loans.

Unfortunately, need based aid is far harder to come by in medical school than in undergrad. OSU has greatly increased the amount of scholarship money available over the past few years, and continues to work on this. Sadly, though, even if you do get a need based scholarship, it's usually for less than $5k, which ends up being a drop in the bucket against the total cost.

Don't give up hope, though, a fair amount of students get scholarships 2nd year who didn't get any first year.

Hey anybody know if Ohio State is still going to give the $200 credit to students next year to get either an iPhone or iPod Touch??

The way it works is that you will automatically get an iPod touch (comes out of the tuition...it is by no means free). However you can opt out and get your money back if you already have one, have an iPhone or would like to get an iPhone instead.

The iPod touch is only mandatory starting 3rd year so you can always opt out first year and wait the two years for the latest version.

The way it works is that you will automatically get an iPod touch (comes out of the tuition...it is by no means free). However you can opt out and get your money back if you already have one, have an iPhone or would like to get an iPhone instead.

The iPod touch is only mandatory starting 3rd year so you can always opt out first year and wait the two years for the latest version.

Thanks for reminding me about this. I definitely need to opt out of that before next year.

Speaking of which, when would it be a good time to start looking for housing in Columbus? Anyone find any really cool apartments around the OSUMC campus?

Thanks for reminding me about this. I definitely need to opt out of that before next year.

Speaking of which, when would it be a good time to start looking for housing in Columbus? Anyone find any really cool apartments around the OSUMC campus?

its sorta late, most good places that are close are gone, but there are definitely quite a bit of places around. We've been looking for the past month, the good ones are mostly rented

Hey everyone - first time poster, so please don't grill me if my question has already been answered a long way back. I was just wondering if submitting the $25 check to osu meant that acceptance and later enrollment was official, contingent on fulfilling the admission requirements, of course. I'm just wondering because though I've created an osu email and applied for and received financial aid, I'm still getting snail mail letters and whatnot to strongly consider osu med school. Wouldn't they stop sending these if they knew I was 100% attending? Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to say that there's an apt. for rent at 2697 Neil Ave. (about 1 mile away from the COM) at the corner of High and Dodridge. My friend just moved out of there a couple days ago, and she paid $450/month for 2bed/1bath. I think it's still available.

So for those of us who have been deferred, does anyone know what's the next step? Is a waitlist setup, or are we already on the waitlist?

When I emailed the admissions office they told me that since interviews are over the deferred list has become the waitlist. The list is unranked but the Dean might start ranking top half and bottom half as the summer progresses

I really hope I get off the waitlist :(

When I emailed the admissions office they told me that since interviews are over the deferred list has become the waitlist. The list is unranked but the Dean might start ranking top half and bottom half as the summer progresses

I really hope I get off the waitlist :(

Thanks for the information! I hope I get off the waitlist too. Good luck to us both! :)

You don't need to worry about it too much until you get here. They'll make it very obvious and give you many opportunities to opt out.

I found my apartment in the middle of summer last year so you're not late at all. The best resources for me were the OSU facebook group and craigslist. There are plenty of people looking for roommates. Also some rising M2s are posting openings in their places there.

I know it's not a "1 out, 1 in" sort of thing, but for what it's worth I'm withdrawing my acceptance from OSU in a couple days. Good luck to you all on the waitlist! :luck::xf:

Hey everyone - first time poster, so please don't grill me if my question has already been answered a long way back. I was just wondering if submitting the $25 check to osu meant that acceptance and later enrollment was official, contingent on fulfilling the admission requirements, of course. I'm just wondering because though I've created an osu email and applied for and received financial aid, I'm still getting snail mail letters and whatnot to strongly consider osu med school. Wouldn't they stop sending these if they knew I was 100% attending? Thanks for any help.

Sending in the $25 dollar check means that you indicate OSU should hold a place in their class for you. However before May 15th you can send in multiple deposits to multiple schools and hold multiple spots. By May 15th you need to narrow down your choice to only one school.

However you can be on as many waitlists as you want. If you get into a school you are waitlisted at, you would need to make a choice between OSU and that school. You can technically withdraw from OSU all the way up until the day before orientation. Last year one person withdrew only a week before orientation...we know because we had one really really happy person walking around.

Long story short...you're not 100% until classes start.

95% sure i'm committing here.

when do people plan on moving in?

would july 24ish be too late?

95% sure i'm committing here.

when do people plan on moving in?

would july 24ish be too late?

i sure hope not!!! we're looking for leases starting august 1st..... orientation starts august 9th..... :)

I'm sorry in advance because I know this is a little off topic and should probably be a separate thread, but I'm still a novice sdner and I'm really not sure how to start a new one.:oops:

That being said , I'm trying to choose btwn UMiami and Ohio State. I reallly like both schools and was impressed by both curriculas, as well as there student bodies.
But, I do absolutely love Miami, the climate, the culture, and the possibility of a soial life outside of school.

BUT, OSU is somewhat more prestigious it seems, higher rankings, and while both offer numerous research opps I'm wondering if OSU would be the better choice for somone interested in research and neurosurgery (of course its early and I'll probably change, but I want to set myself up for the best potential match)

I'm from Cali, and so miami is alot like home, LA with rain, but I'm used to the east coast too, so I could make it in columbus.

My real question is: I like Miami for its location, weather, and lifestyle feel.....but I'm wondering if it would be worth sacrificing the reputaion or rankings that OSU might offer

would it affect me?:confused:
Thanks guys

one thing you might want to consider is that, at OSU, you can qualify for in-state tuition for three years. that's a big chunk of change, i feel.

i'm not sure how in-state tuition works at miami, but just something to think about also.

Florida doesn't have the in-state tuition for 3 years thing. I have Miami higher than OSU because I'm in-state for them plus got a scholarship. So IMO at least, for an OOSer to choose Miami over OSU given similar scholarship situation, you'd have to REALLY love the place, because just about everything else favors OSU.

I'm sorry in advance because I know this is a little off topic and should probably be a separate thread, but I'm still a novice sdner and I'm really not sure how to start a new one.:oops:

That being said , I'm trying to choose btwn UMiami and Ohio State. I reallly like both schools and was impressed by both curriculas, as well as there student bodies.
But, I do absolutely love Miami, the climate, the culture, and the possibility of a soial life outside of school.

BUT, OSU is somewhat more prestigious it seems, higher rankings, and while both offer numerous research opps I'm wondering if OSU would be the better choice for somone interested in research and neurosurgery (of course its early and I'll probably change, but I want to set myself up for the best potential match)

I'm from Cali, and so miami is alot like home, LA with rain, but I'm used to the east coast too, so I could make it in columbus.

My real question is: I like Miami for its location, weather, and lifestyle feel.....but I'm wondering if it would be worth sacrificing the reputaion or rankings that OSU might offer

would it affect me?:confused:
Thanks guys

The simple answer is to choose the school that will leave you with the least amount of debt over the next 4 years. For the most part, the curriculum at any US medical school is standardized so you'll learn the same thing. Where you end up matching and how well you do in medical school depends on you and not the school's ranking. So if it was my decision, I would choose the cheapest school.

I'm highly partial to OSU for several reason. They give in-state tuition after 1 year, they have a lot of research opportunities, and they havea pretty strong surgery program. Even though Ohio may not be as glamorous as Miami, several residency programs around here at the Cleveland Clinic, the University of Cincinnati, and the University of Pittsburgh are nationally recognized for their neurosurgery research.

i actually calculated the tuitions for OSU vs Miami, there's no difference because you are paying a premium for OSU first year and then I think their tuition/fees go up 3rd year (by 6 to 10k). there is a difference in living condition.

just wait for the finaid package and see, but look at OSU website for the 3rd year costs

tuition is $11,000 higher for OSU for everyone their 3rd year

Third year tuition is higher at almost all schools since the tuition is based on 12 months of classes (students start rotations in the summer between 2nd and 3rd year) rather than the usual 9 months.

just withdrew. a piece of my heart died. good luck all.

Sorry about that! Glad you have the choices, though!

Hey...question for everyone. Can anyone prove that osu rejects post interview?? Or, are all of us waitlisted at this point that interviewed and were not accepted? On other threads, I know people talk about postinterview rejections. I haven't read any here, which gives me diminished hopes of any wl movement.

Insights? Am I just flat out wrong? Ill take being wrong, it'll only help my situation! Haha. Thanks, guys...and gl rockation! :)

just withdrew. a piece of my heart died. good luck all.

Sorry about that! Glad you have the choices, though!

Hey...question for everyone. Can anyone prove that osu rejects post interview?? Or, are all of us waitlisted at this point that interviewed and were not accepted? On other threads, I know people talk about postinterview rejections. I haven't read any here, which gives me diminished hopes of any wl movement.

Insights? Am I just flat out wrong? Ill take being wrong, it'll only help my situation! Haha. Thanks, guys...and gl rockation! :)

I know of a couple people who were rejected from OSU post-interview, so it does happen.

I withdrew, good luck to those of you still waiting for a spot =). OSU ended up being one of my top choices post interview, but no financial aid was a deal breaker.

I think i saw earlier in this thread that people on the deferred list got their financial aid info as well as accepted people. I am deferred but when I log on to the financial aid site there is nothing listed except my FAFSA information. Does anyone on the deferred list have anything else listed?

Thanks

I think i saw earlier in this thread that people on the deferred list got their financial aid info as well as accepted people. I am deferred but when I log on to the financial aid site there is nothing listed except my FAFSA information. Does anyone on the deferred list have anything else listed?

Thanks

Nothing here either.

Thanks

I can log in, but ditto on the information there. I think that's how it is for deferred applicants.

so is there anything we should be doing right now?

I briefly browsed around the buckeye website and it seems as if class enrollment appointments began on May 3rd, so now I'm just wondering if there are any due dates of any kind. Thanks guys.

I briefly browsed around the buckeye website and it seems as if class enrollment appointments began on May 3rd, so now I'm just wondering if there are any due dates of any kind. Thanks guys.

I guess send a LOI. I should get around to doing that.

The enrollment appointments are for university registration. The enrollment period is open for quite awhile, so there is no need to rush. Technically, it's open until the first week of the university quarter (which is in September), but you will want to register before that if you want to receive your financial aid refund in August. There will be information posted on medstar about how to enroll and Maryanne Phillips will send you an e-mail as well.

There likely aren't many (if any) deadlines until after May 15th.

Does anyone happen to know Dean Capers email address? Thanks

Well, in case you are interested, I just got an email from the school saying that they don't expect to go to the waitlist until at least June. So those of us who are deferred and eagerly anticipating May 15th, we probably shouldn't get our hopes up too high. What a bummer.

What's the reason behind not getting to the waitlist till June? Isn't the last date to hold multiple acceptances May 15th anyways?

What's the reason behind not getting to the waitlist till June? Isn't the last date to hold multiple acceptances May 15th anyways?

No reason was given, so I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.