You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2009-2010 SUNY Upstate Application Thread
Started by shemarty
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
thanks berny! is this ur first choice? 🙂
At this point it's #2 for me, I have an attractive financial package from another school. I'll wait and see what Upstate offers... $$ is a key consideration for me..
How about u, where does SUNY fall on ur list?
Acceptance package today~!! What an AWESOME Xmas present! 😀
Interviewed: 11/4
Status changed to decision made: 12/18
Phone call: None
Packet: 12/24; letter dated 12/17
Congrats to everyone that got accepted and good luck to those who are still waiting! Happy holidays!!
Interviewed: 11/4
Status changed to decision made: 12/18
Phone call: None
Packet: 12/24; letter dated 12/17
Congrats to everyone that got accepted and good luck to those who are still waiting! Happy holidays!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know of a reasonable hotel to stay at that's near Upstate but not too pricey. Thanks! (note: i'd be more comfortable staying at a hotel than with a student host).
try hotwire....i got a room at best western in liverpool (bout 10-15 mins away) for $64 w/breakfast, indoor pool, etc and it was right near the lake
ps i've heard of interviewers asking why people didn't stay with a student host, so dont let it catch you off gaurd
ps i've heard of interviewers asking why people didn't stay with a student host, so dont let it catch you off gaurd
Does anyone know of a reasonable hotel to stay at that's near Upstate but not too pricey. Thanks! (note: i'd be more comfortable staying at a hotel than with a student host).
I stayed at the Maplewood and it was great. The best part is that they offer a free shuttle to anywhere within five miles. They picked me up from the bus station, took me to my interview, picked me from my interview and then dropped me off at the bus station. The cost was cheaper than many of the other hotels i looked at. Free continental breakfast, internet and the rooms are actually nice! I paid about $86 for one night. I highly recommend! O and the even offer to store your luggage while you are interviewing.
I stayed at the Maplewood and it was great. The best part is that they offer a free shuttle to anywhere within five miles. They picked me up from the bus station, took me to my interview, picked me from my interview and then dropped me off at the bus station. The cost was cheaper than many of the other hotels i looked at. Free continental breakfast, internet and the rooms are actually nice! I paid about $86 for one night. I highly recommend! O and the even offer to store your luggage while you are interviewing.
Thanks! Sounds great, i'll look into that!
Acceptance package today
Still haven't received the package yet. Anything interesting in it?
2
285963
Still haven't received the package yet. Anything interesting in it?
There're some advertisements for living in Clark Hall as well as an application form for living there.
There's also the standard list of things you still need to do to maintain your acceptance (like forwarding your final transcript before August), your clinical campus assignment, and a letter you need to send back to hold your spot in the class.
There're some advertisements for living in Clark Hall as well as an application form for living there.
There's also the standard list of things you still need to do to maintain your acceptance (like forwarding your final transcript before August), your clinical campus assignment, and a letter you need to send back to hold your spot in the class.
I looked at the room rates for Clark Hall. Looks like its about $700-900/month for the single bedroom. Does anyone who is familiar with the area know how reasonable that is?
Also, Madison apartments (http://www.madisontowers.net/Rates.aspx) aren't cheap either, but a 2 bedroom comes to about $500/person. How easy do you think it would be to find a second person?
Can I get even cheaper rent elsewhere further from campus (adjusted for the fact that I would have to get a car)?
Does anyone have any input on this?
2
285963
I looked at the room rates for Clark Hall. Looks like its about $700-900/month for the single bedroom. Does anyone who is familiar with the area know how reasonable that is?
Also, Madison apartments (http://www.madisontowers.net/Rates.aspx) aren't cheap either, but a 2 bedroom comes to about $500/person. How easy do you think it would be to find a second person?
Can I get even cheaper rent elsewhere further from campus (adjusted for the fact that I would have to get a car)?
Does anyone have any input on this?
Looking at last year's forums, and last year's Facebook page, I think a lot of people matched up to find roommates. I think I also saw people getting rent for as low as $330, living 15-20 minutes away from campus via car. The other notable thing is that the Clark Hall housing application seems to imply that you are not guaranteed a single, based on the number of people who sign up to live in Clark. Almost everyone seems to think that Clark is overpriced, though very convenient, and with good amenities.
The interview is closed file.
Does this mean that the interviewer will ONLY have my essays and know my name?
He/she will not know my GPA, extra curriculars, letters of rec, all of that jazz?
I'd assume that those things will be looked at after the interview, right?
Although I'm not sure how much this matters, I'm still convinced that the interview is weighted more heavily than all other aspects of the application (at nearly all schools). Even if they try to weight all parts equally, a face2face interaction will hold more weight in their mind than anything else (including gpa/mcat). It's an unavoidable aspect of human nature.
Does this mean that the interviewer will ONLY have my essays and know my name?
He/she will not know my GPA, extra curriculars, letters of rec, all of that jazz?
I'd assume that those things will be looked at after the interview, right?
Although I'm not sure how much this matters, I'm still convinced that the interview is weighted more heavily than all other aspects of the application (at nearly all schools). Even if they try to weight all parts equally, a face2face interaction will hold more weight in their mind than anything else (including gpa/mcat). It's an unavoidable aspect of human nature.
Did ANYONE get off pre-interview hold yet?
I doubt it. Just curious.
I doubt it. Just curious.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone remember when the second look is?
Not sure I even heard anything about a second look.
The interview is closed file.
Does this mean that the interviewer will ONLY have my essays and know my name?
He/she will not know my GPA, extra curriculars, letters of rec, all of that jazz?
I'd assume that those things will be looked at after the interview, right?
Although I'm not sure how much this matters, I'm still convinced that the interview is weighted more heavily than all other aspects of the application (at nearly all schools). Even if they try to weight all parts equally, a face2face interaction will hold more weight in their mind than anything else (including gpa/mcat). It's an unavoidable aspect of human nature.
The interviews weren't bad at all. Just be yourself and sell yourself. There's an interviewer who's head over heels about public health/global health. I'll polish up a little on that just in case you get him. But yes, it's closed file, they only know about ur essays and name BUT that doesn't mean you can bring up ur impressive [fill in the blanks] besides they do ask you a bunch of questions.. B4 the interview, they definitely assess ur academics, ECs etc and after ur interview ur complete file (w/ interview) is evaluated for an admissions decision..
Goodluck
they meet every wednesday...based on what my interviewer told me in terms of time lines, your application should have been reviewed today or may be reviewed next week
if it was done today, give it a week for the phone call (status may change thurs or fri)
if it was done today, give it a week for the phone call (status may change thurs or fri)
interviewed 12/16 at syracuse, got an email today from certiphi (background check company) saying i was waitlisted or accepted at one of the schools to which i applied. has to be either stony brook or syracuse since those are the only schools I've interviewed at so far. checked the website today and status changed to "decision made".
now what? wait til next week for actual correspondence?
now what? wait til next week for actual correspondence?
Hey happy new year and congrats to everyone who got in. I was wondering if anyone has been taken off the pre interview hold yet?? should i pretty much give up hope on this school? i'm oos by the way.
thanks
thanks
Upstate graduate here. Pre-interview hold is not equal to a rejection (ignore the poster that said that). It is obviously not the best of situations. I was once pre-interview hold. I was interviewed and accepted two weeks after interview. I was an out-of-state applicant. If Upstate is the place for you, you must unabashedly tell them why.Hey happy new year and congrats to everyone who got in. I was wondering if anyone has been taken off the pre interview hold yet?? should i pretty much give up hope on this school? i'm oos by the way.
thanks
Did ANYONE get off pre-interview hold yet?
I doubt it. Just curious.
I was wondering the same myself. They told me they were waiting for my fall grades...so I hope to hear back soon from them.
interviewed 12/16 at syracuse, got an email today from certiphi (background check company) saying i was waitlisted or accepted at one of the schools to which i applied. has to be either stony brook or syracuse since those are the only schools I've interviewed at so far. checked the website today and status changed to "decision made".
now what? wait til next week for actual correspondence?
I interviewed 12/16 at upstate too!!!! I must have seen you there...since there were only like 10 of us. Congratulation whether if be Stony Brook or Upstate!!!!
PS
I got no status change, so i'm either on hold or the email is from stony brook and upstate didn't get to our apps yet.
Last edited:
How can you tell if your interview essays have been uploaded??? i tried to upload mine today and it just went back to the same screen that said to upload your essay.
Zona Pellucida and PeeWeee17 i'm on pre-interview hold.... and haven't gotten off yet. hope that answers something
same here

same here![]()
Pretty much think we are screwed. I wonder what they were looking for in terms of granting interviews. I am a NYS resident and have competitive stats for Upstate and no real red flags in my app.
Oh well.
How can you tell if your interview essays have been uploaded??? i tried to upload mine today and it just went back to the same screen that said to upload your essay.
the same thang happened to me. i called to ask if it had uploaded and they said it hadn't. Then, they had me email it in, and they uploaded it for me. Once it actually uploaded, there was a little thingy on that page saying that it was up.
Pretty much think we are screwed. I wonder what they were looking for in terms of granting interviews. I am a NYS resident and have competitive stats for Upstate and no real red flags in my app.
Oh well.
well i don't want to give out false hope, but i've heard there were about 10 ppl in last year's class that were eventually accepted off of pre-interview hold, so there's still a chance albeit a very small one
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
the same thang happened to me. i called to ask if it had uploaded and they said it hadn't. Then, they had me email it in, and they uploaded it for me. Once it actually uploaded, there was a little thingy on that page saying that it was up.
Thanks! i guess i'll be calling them soon. they hadnt sent me a confirmation email either...i'll see what's up. did u hear from upstate yet?
I have declined my interview invite. Good luck to whoever gets it! 🙂
Thanks! i guess i'll be calling them soon. they hadnt sent me a confirmation email either...i'll see what's up. did u hear from upstate yet?
Nah I actually have my interview on Monday....
Nah I actually have my interview on Monday....
Good luck!!! I heard the interviews were pretty chill there.
I'm withdrawing my application. Had an interview scheduled for 1/20 that I'm not going to attend. Hopefully someone here gets my spot!
The interview is closed file.
Does this mean that the interviewer will ONLY have my essays and know my name?
He/she will not know my GPA, extra curriculars, letters of rec, all of that jazz?
I'd assume that those things will be looked at after the interview, right?
Although I'm not sure how much this matters, I'm still convinced that the interview is weighted more heavily than all other aspects of the application (at nearly all schools). Even if they try to weight all parts equally, a face2face interaction will hold more weight in their mind than anything else (including gpa/mcat). It's an unavoidable aspect of human nature.
I interviewed and was accepted in October and was also told it was closed file. They're supposed to know nothing about you other than your 2 essays but my interviewer knew where I was from (out-of-state) and that was the first question out of his mouth. So I dunno what they actually had.
for anyone still waiting on a decision, my interview was about a month ago and when I called today they said it will be a few more weeks before I go to committee ...so the turn around is currently at ~1.5-2 months to get to a decision based on that
for anyone still waiting on a decision, my interview was about a month ago and when I called today they said it will be a few more weeks before I go to committee ...so the turn around is currently at ~1.5-2 months to get to a decision based on that
Actually, my status just changed to decision made around 9:30am +/- 30min EST this morning. I interviewed December 15 for anyone who wants to get an idea of timing. So the current wait is about one month. The person I called said the decision could come by mail or phone. I am super anxious and will be in a spasmodic state until then lol.
My status changed to decision made today too, and I interviewed Nov 24th. I'm sure the holidays were a big factor in the extra waiting time. I am super anxious too, since I didn't get an e-mail (for the high priority alternate list) I guess it can either be an acceptance or a flat-out rejection. At this point I'd prefer rejection over more waiting!
So the fact that we did not get an email means we either got accepted or rejected, and can't be waitlisted?????
anyway,
previous posters seem to have a status change on friday, a call on monday (or not), and a letter on Wed or Thurs for west coast
but there is a backlog this time, so it may take longer
anyway,
previous posters seem to have a status change on friday, a call on monday (or not), and a letter on Wed or Thurs for west coast
but there is a backlog this time, so it may take longer
Mic43, we interviewed together at Upstate on dec 15!
We interviewed together but my status has not changed?? What does this mean?😕
We interviewed together but my status has not changed?? What does this mean?😕
Last edited:
Mic43, we interviewed together at Upstate on dec 15!
We interviewed together but my status has not changed?? What does this mean?😕
haha, thats so funny...I was the kid from Buffalo/upstate...who were u? i'm assuming you were one of the 8 from NYC lol
anyway
maybe the person who has to change all the statuses online did not get through them all today since there was a backlog to November
also, i saw a post that seems to indicate they review the files in the order of interview time (not sure if its true though)...since both my interviews were morning maybe they got to the morning people but won't get to the people who interviewed later till next wednesday's meeting...either way you're decision is right over the horizon
best of luck to you, and judging by how great all of the interviewees I had he privileged of being with were, i bet you did fine
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I saw all of this Dec 15th interview love and I had to say something! I interviewed the 15th as well! First of all, my status hasn't changed. So hopefully the review is "right over the horizon." Secondly, I was the out-of-stater! It was a great day with great people.
haha, thats so funny...I was the kid from Buffalo/upstate...who were u? i'm assuming you were one of the 8 from NYC lol
anyway
maybe the person who has to change all the statuses online did not get through them all today since there was a backlog to November
also, i saw a post that seems to indicate they review the files in the order of interview time (not sure if its true though)...since both my interviews were morning maybe they got to the morning people but won't get to the people who interviewed later till next wednesday's meeting...either way you're decision is right over the horizon
best of luck to you, and judging by how great all of the interviewees I had he privileged of being with were, i bet you did fine
Nice! 3 out of 8. Hands down funnest interview group Ive experienced. Best of luck gents!
😍By the way, is anyone interviewing on january 19?
Did ANYONE get off pre-interview hold yet?
I doubt it. Just curious.
Nope. I am also in hold limbo.
since I didn't get an e-mail (for the high priority alternate list) I guess it can either be an acceptance or a flat-out rejection.
can anyone confirm this...that having decision made without an email means either acceptance or rejection?
- Status
- Not open for further replies.