2009 DO Match Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That would be a pretty weak list if true for CCOM (class size of 180-200)... the one MD Urology was also at Southern Illinois. I've seen past years where CCOM has done much better. Was 2009 very competitive?

The other problem is that Match Lists CAN (and do) vary by class. It depends more on what the class wants, than where they wound up.

I would much rather see match lists published of whether or not students got their 1st, 2nd, or 3rd choice, than where they went. Maybe that person wanted S. Ill. for a specific reason...like being close to family.

I know that MY decision on where I go is going to be MUCH more influenced by my family than by how Ivy the program is. That, and I hate giant cities with a fiery passion.

Members don't see this ad.

The other problem is that Match Lists CAN (and do) vary by class. It depends more on what the class wants, than where they wound up.
I'm not so sure.. CCOM has a huge class (170-200), you'd think the variance from year to year would not be very large.

I did some digging and found CCOM's 2009 match list:
http://mwunet.midwestern.edu/academic/CCOMClinEd/clinicalEdDocs/StudentMatches_2009.pdf

CCOM: 2 Anethesiology (1 DO), 1 Dermatology (1 DO), 19 EM (12 DO), 0 Ophthalmology, 2 Orthopedic Surgery (2 DO), 1 ENT (1 DO), 4 Rads (2 DO), 2 General Surgery (2 DO), 2 Urology (2 DO), 2 Neurosurgery (1 DO), 26 IM (10 DO), 11 Peds (0 DO), 38 Family (28 DO)

In comparison, here's the 2009 UIC (Chicago campus) match list:
http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcam/osa/careers/MatchData/2009MatchResultsbySpecialty.htm

UIC-Chicago: 13 Anethesiology, 2 Dermatology, 14 EM, 5 Ophthalmology, 8 Orthopedic Surgery, 5 ENT, 16 Rads, 1 Rad-onc, 12 General Surgery (categorical), 1 Urology, 1 Neurosurgery, 36 IM, 14 Peds, 11 Family

The UIC Chicago campus has roughly same class size as CCOM.

I had seriously considered applying to CCOM this year (since I'm non-traditional and my GPA is low), but match list comparisons like these really make me hesitate. UIC is not even a top 50 medical school, yet the comparison with CCOM is striking and I don't think can be easily explained by class body flux. Plus CCOM is almost $20k more expensive than UIC.

First it never ceases to amaze me how people automatically assume just because you are a medical student or a resident you somehow just innately have the correct perspective on medical education. I can tell you right now Jaggerplate for one is not in med school but has a hell of a lot better understanding of the ins and outs of medical education than many of my current classmates.

Second, this year is the first year CCOM has a class size of 200. In past years it's been more like 160.

Also, WHY is it everyone wants to judge a school by it's match list or board pass rates? These are the most variable things you could possibly use to judge a school. Womp look back at some of my posts in this thread, I directly compared last years match for CCOM with that of 2007 and there is a difference in those who wished to specialize.

As far as CCOM goes it's a good school located in a great city. If you really want to evaluate it then do so by stats that are directly given by the school which many other schools don't offer.

http://www.midwestern.edu/Programs_and_Admission/IL_Osteopathic_Medicine.html

"79 percent go to first or second residency choice; far surpasses national match rate of 68 percent"

And also the last class board avg was 520 vs the nat'l avg of 497. Not mind blowing but it's above the average.

I will say this though, and I just said it in another thread, if I were given the choice between UIC and CCOM with instate tuition at UIC I'd choose it hands down solely based on tuition. Many other things can be debated about the two schools over and over and is really dependent on the individual.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, as good as CCOM is as (and I know since I was waitlisted and really wanted to attend), it doesn't compare to UIC in any way. I understand your inclinition to defend your school but really, there's no comparison.

Hahaha ok so that definitely came off as a plug for my school. Don't get me wrong I love my school and I'm very proud to attend. However what I was up in arms about is the fact that so many users on here come up with these criteria for "ranking" schools that are completely useless or filtered. Even though I posted some stats for my school (mostly b/c it's the school I'm the most familiar with), those didn't play a large factor in my decision to attend here.

As far as comparing CCOM with UIC I'll agree that when UIC is $20k cheaper it makes the decision quite easily. Though in your response to there being no comparison between the two I disagree. A girl in my class has a boyfriend who is a current student at UIC and there are some similarities between the two. However I do think they have different visions as schools which also equates into what students they take into their classes.

Haha now in conclusion, PLEASE people don't use match lists or board passing rates as your deciding factors on schools. Both are essentially irrelevant because if you work your ass off and rock the boards that will have a far greater effect on what residency you get.

Haha now in conclusion, PLEASE people don't use match lists or board passing rates as your deciding factors on schools. Both are essentially irrelevant because if you work your ass off and rock the boards that will have a far greater effect on what residency you get.

:thumbup: I agree and I'm not even a med student yet.:D

Edit: Nice improvement to the website.:)

That would be a pretty weak list if true for CCOM (class size of 180-200)... the one MD Urology was also at Southern Illinois. I've seen past years where CCOM has done much better. Was 2009 very competitive?

I would suggest that before you go spouting off about the strength of a schools match list, you at least get the size of the class right.

Just because 64 people didnt want ortho doesnt mean the match list is weak.

I would suggest that before you go spouting off about the strength of a schools match list, you at least get the size of the class right.

Just because 64 people didnt want ortho doesnt mean the match list is weak.

Another true statement.:thumbup:

COMP -

General Surgery (7)
OHSU - Prelim
Swedish Medical Center - Seattle
UCSD - Categorical
Henry Ford Macomb
Arrowhead
Doctor's Hospital - Columbus
Spartanburg Regional Medical Center

Uhhh...wow. :wow:

Wish that was me.

Im gonna go study some more..

wow,

I had NO idea D.Os were doing so well! I mean i knew you could get into decent residencies, but DAMN! those are some competitive spots

I am yet to find a reason not to apply to D.O. this summer

wow,

I had NO idea D.Os were doing so well! I mean i knew you could get into decent residencies, but DAMN! those are some competitive spots

I am yet to find a reason not to apply to D.O. this summer

Thanks for taking the initiative to find this info yourself instead of posting the question of "what specialties can DOs be in?" for the 8494748 time:thumbup: