2009 Non-Trad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope it went well student!!

Thanks. I'd say it went much better than last time. I stayed calm the whole time, and although I still didn't get to all the PS problems (drat!), I missed a lot fewer this time: probably 4-5 rather than the 8-9 last time. I think I got a higher percentage right on the questions I completed, too. The BS and VR seemed the same to maybe a bit easier than the July test.

So overall I'm pretty sure my score improved, but it's really hard to guess how much. I don't necessarily feel confident that I got the 35 I was shooting for (which I was getting consistently on the AAMC tests), but I'd say I came up with something a bit more respectable than last time.

Members don't see this ad.

First invite, LSU New Orleans (in state resident). I'm excited to hear something sooner rather than later.

First invite, LSU New Orleans (in state resident). I'm excited to hear something sooner rather than later.

Good for you, and best of luck.

I wish I lived in a better state for med school admissions. My state (NY) really sucks: even though there's so much competition that even the in-staters have a really hard time getting in (only 5% or so are admitted), we still let in a significant number of OOS and even international students. 'Cmon, even CA--the all-time worst state for in-staters--doesn't do that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Yeah the odds are much more in your favor being in a state that only takes residents. I'm glad I don't have to compete in New York or West Coast.

Just submitted a few minutes ago. Feels good even though I am late. No worries. It sure is a process!

congrats to everyone who has gotten interviews so far, hopefully this week will bring some more for the non-trads!

I have gotten 3 interviews so far, all DO. I've also gotten the "would like to consider your file further" from VCU. My state school (CO) still hasn't even sent out secondaries :eek:

Hoping this is a great cycle for all of us!!!

Hey Nontrads! I hope everyone is hanging in there. I got my MCAT score on Monday and was able to submit all my LORs to KU (I'm applying EDP). Their status page said my file was complete as of yesterday... so hopefully I'll hear about an interview in the next two weeks. In the meantime I'm trying to do a lot of reading to prepare for the interview... the Olympics are making that kind of hard.

I got my MCAT score on Monday ... In the meantime I'm trying to do a lot of reading to prepare for the interview... the Olympics are making that kind of hard.

I hope you did better on the MCAT than I did the first time! (I retook on 8/15.)

I second you on the Olympics. I have gotten NOWHERE on my secondaries, thanks to Michael Phelps, Usain Bolt, etc.

So far I've gotten only 3 responses.
1 rejection: Pritzker
2 Interview: Brown (MD), Des Moines University (DO)

I've been watching status pages like a hawk:) Hopefully more good news for me and other non-trads this week!!!! Keep your heads up everyone. This season is just starting. Many adcoms don't even start to meet till end of august to middle of september (e.g. Univ of Iowa & Miami).

No updates from me, just wanted to send lots of :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck: to my fellow non-trads this coming week.

If it weren't for these boards, I think this process would have had me rocking in a corner while sucking my thumb a long time ago. So I'm sending some of that positivity back your way, thinking good thoughts for all of you. I hope this week is full of good news!!

Good luck to everyone this cycle!!

I'm still playing the waiting game with my MCAT scores. Should get them in 2 weeks, after which things will really start to get interesting. I'm excited about the process though! :thumbup:

Hey! I haven't updated here in a while, so...

MCAT: Done, and scores received.
Secondaries: Half done
Screened secondaries: 2
LOR's: 2 outstanding (should be done this week)
Rejections: Weirdly... none.
Interview Invites: None.

I'm a litte nervous about the gmail account all of my med school correspondence has been going to, because today I had someone email me something there, and I didn't get it. Then I sent 2 test emails from different accounts, and nothing. :confused::scared: Ah, well. The vagaries of applying to medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a litte nervous about the gmail account all of my med school correspondence has been going to, because today I had someone email me something there, and I didn't get it. Then I sent 2 test emails from different accounts, and nothing. :confused::scared: Ah, well. The vagaries of applying to medical school.

I hope you get some interview invites soon! I've been checking my gmail spam folder every day during this application cycle, just to make sure I'm not missing anything that got thrown in there by mistake. You might want to scroll through it, although reading just the subject lines of a lot of that spam makes me blush. :p

I just wanted to wish everyone here good luck on this application cycle. I'm gearing up for my first interview next week and am starting to feel the pressure. Having been through this once, the most important advice I can give is make sure you are complete at all your schools. Call them if necessary!

applying EDP to MCW...
I was complete the first week of July and am now just waiting (painfully) for a response...

I'm starting to get a little worried as I see others that are not EDP getting interviews scheduled and when I called last week to check, they had not looked at my file yet:scared:

I just got my first interview invite, and it's with my first choice school, TCOM. It's been a hard couple of years to get to this point, but it just might pay off.

Hey guys,

Well, despite being the starter of this thread and being quite enthusiastic about this app cycle back in May, I have pretty much dropped off the face of the SDN planet over the past couple of months . . . a lot of that was due to MCAT studying . . . and then getting really busy after the MCAT with all kinds of stuff (apps, family stuff, work, Olympics, more Olympics) . . . but mostly because this notion of posting your progress when I have not made a whole lot has not been appealing to me! :rolleyes: But anyway, I'm back! I'm currently trying to finish off my part of this app cycle so I can then sit on my haunches, cross my fingers, and wait for the schools to do theirs (which would be to interview and admit me, dangit!). :thumbup:

But I had to post today because one school did do its part . . . I got a rejection letter from Drexel . . . FROM LAST CYCLE! Yes, forget about the fact that I have applied there for the 2009 cycle and my heart fell a little when I saw the thin envelope in my mailbox . . . and then I bust out laughing when I read that they wanted to let me know that "Drexel University College of Medicine began its new academic year on August 11, 2008 and the class is full. I am writing to officially release you from consideration for the year 2008 entering class. We received over 12,000 applications this year, and regret that we were unable to interview more of the highly qualified applicants who applied." HAH!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Ok, if they thought for a second that I was still hoping for an INTERVIEW from last cycle, they are more delusional than I would be if I hadn't already decided in March that it was game over.

Anyway, just thought I'd share because it kind of made my day in a wierd funny way . . . because it proved to me that even medical schools can procrastinate!

Glad to hear about all the non-trad interviews thus far!! . . . me thinks someone needs to start a non-trad interview thread . . . but it's not going to be me (yet . . .)

:luck::luck: to all!

Still waiting on my MCAT. Took August 15, so they should be out in a couple of weeks.

I have my two applications all ready to go except for those scores. I am only applying to local schools this application cycle. It's up in Canada, so the deadline is November, and they do interviews all together (over a few days) in Feb/March so we don't have this whole secondary/rolling interview system, or at least not with these two schools.

Culture - That is utterly bizarre. I guess I could understand if you were on a waitlist, but having not interviewed?!

I myself am up to 2 rejections and 2 interviews. I will take that ratio FO' SHO'. :D Congrats to everyone else who's interviewing, and my sympathies to those who are in limbo. It's tough, but chin up. :)

I myself am up to 2 rejections and 2 interviews.

Way to go on that NYMC invite! :thumbup: I'm not complete there yet (still waiting on late MCAT and committee letter), but I'm hoping I'll get one too down the road.

applying EDP to MCW...
I was complete the first week of July and am now just waiting (painfully) for a response...

I'm starting to get a little worried as I see others that are not EDP getting interviews scheduled and when I called last week to check, they had not looked at my file yet:scared:

What date do they have to notify you by if you are EDP?
If they aren't going to grant you an interview, they should release you to the general applicant pool so you can apply elsewhere.

I applied EDP, and my school told me they would release my app pretty much right away if they weren't going to interview me.

Did you have any discussions with the admissions office before you applied?

Congrats to all on the interview invites! (wow, Yale... that's intense) I got an invite from KU Med today WHICH IS AWESOME!

Culture - That is utterly bizarre. I guess I could understand if you were on a waitlist, but having not interviewed?!

I know, right?! There have been lots of stories on SDN about Drexel being disorganized, and this is another case in point. I feel like they shouldn't have bothered to send anything at all . . . it seems kind of embarrassing to send a letter dated August 25th (when classes started Aug. 11th) to tell someone she isn't going to get an interview for that class. I was intelligent enough to have figured that out all by myself!

Congrats on all the interviews, non-trads!! :hardy::hardy:

breeak - way to rock it with Yale! :wow:
coffeebeanjenn - I thought I had read previously in this thread that you were offered an interview to KU . . . so I put you on the interview thread this past weekend. Sorry to steal your thunder! (must have been a foregone conclusion in my mind! ;))

oh, and barfalamule - way to kick some reapp ***** with your FIVE September interviews! :bow: I don't think I'm ever going to catch up to that lead!!

But I had to post today because one school did do its part . . . I got a rejection letter from Drexel . . . FROM LAST CYCLE!

ah yes- I just got that letter today (had to be forwarded from my old address) FIVE WEEKS into my own med school education. I'm soooooooooo disappointed. :rolleyes: :laugh:

disorganization, indeed. :eyebrow:

ah yes- I just got that letter today (had to be forwarded from my old address) FIVE WEEKS into my own med school education. I'm soooooooooo disappointed. :rolleyes: :laugh:

disorganization, indeed. :eyebrow:

Ping! :hello:

I was wondering if you got that letter too! What a riot. :laugh:

First Interview Invite from Case Western University! Whew! At least one school thinks I belong in the "qualified" pile.

AMCAS verifed 6/30
All but two secondaries done 7/31
Drexel secondary done 8/15
Still waiting for Emory's secondary
LORs sent out 8/14
Marked complete at all schools (except DOs and Emory) by 8/23.

The waiting game continues....

Congrats Coffee and non-trad!! :thumbup::thumbup: Coffee, are you EDP for KU?

You know, stuff like the letter from Drexel you guys are discussing has made me decide to withdraw pre-secondary. If they can't get their basic **** together, it's definitely not an appealing place.

You know, stuff like the letter from Drexel you guys are discussing has made me decide to withdraw pre-secondary. If they can't get their basic **** together, it's definitely not an appealing place.

Yeah, not a bad idea. My husband and I are interested in living in the Philly area, so I kept Drexel on my list this cycle . . . not to mention that I'd take an acceptance ANYWHERE at this point . . . but it felt kind of silly. It looks like you're going to do fine this cycle, so I wouldn't waste the secondary fees!

Yeah, not a bad idea. My husband and I are interested in living in the Philly area, so I kept Drexel on my list this cycle . . . not to mention that I'd take an acceptance ANYWHERE at this point . . . but it felt kind of silly. It looks like you're going to do fine this cycle, so I wouldn't waste the secondary fees!

I hope so, I'll feel like quite the ass if I don't get in anywhere and elected to leave one off. I'm also just feeling so poor and lazy at the moment. I'm still sitting on one secondary because of one essay - I can't seem to force myself to do it. BLAH. </whine> :luck::luck:

Drexel has a rep for being non-trad friendly. There are plenty of stories of them being disorganized, but I wouldn't use this as a criteria to drop a school. Somebody has to end up with those acceptances. :)

Drexel has a rep for being non-trad friendly. There are plenty of stories of them being disorganized, but I wouldn't use this as a criteria to drop a school. Somebody has to end up with those acceptances. :)

I've heard they're non-trad friendly as well, but I've also heard the disorganization is pervasive, not just during the app process. I don't think there's really any one criteria one should use in dropping a school, but I wasn't excited about Drexel to begin with - this was more a nudge over the lip. :) Anyway, I'm sure it's a good fit for others, and now there's one less in the pool competing for those spots. :):luck::luck:

I have kind of lost track of the application process. Shortly after I started receiving secondaries, my brother died, the third brother I have lost in the last four years. The questions asked on the secondaries just seem so inconsiquential. I can't seem to focus on answering them. I have been rejected from three schools, and have secondaries looming from eight more. I returned the ones that just wanted money and letter info. Deadlines are looming on some of them, but I can't seem to write anything that sounds sane. I usually end up erasing whatever I write. On top of that, I work full time, my boyfrieend just had surgery, and my army unit is doing field training all next week, so I won't be able to get anything done, not that I am accomplishing much now. I appologize for whining, but I needed a stress dump.

It's good to know some people are getting interview invites.

I have kind of lost track of the application process. Shortly after I started receiving secondaries, my brother died, the third brother I have lost in the last four years. The questions asked on the secondaries just seem so inconsiquential. I can't seem to focus on answering them. I have been rejected from three schools, and have secondaries looming from eight more. I returned the ones that just wanted money and letter info. Deadlines are looming on some of them, but I can't seem to write anything that sounds sane. I usually end up erasing whatever I write. On top of that, I work full time, my boyfrieend just had surgery, and my army unit is doing field training all next week, so I won't be able to get anything done, not that I am accomplishing much now. I appologize for whining, but I needed a stress dump.

It's good to know some people are getting interview invites.

Wow. Stillwaters, I am so sorry to hear about your brother and, of course, all of the additional stress you have piled on top of dealing with your loss. I can't imagine going through all of that right now. Is there any way you can take a personal leave of absence, or something of that sort? It sounds like you could use some time to grieve.

As for the 8 schools, if you think you're going to be able to complete your apps this cycle, I might either call them or write an e-mail that you could send to each one, asking them to make a note in your file that just as you received your secondary application you had a death in your immediate family and are currently in an intense period at work. Thus, you have been unable to return your secondary as soon as you intended. Let them know that you are enthusiastic about their school and intend to complete your application as soon as you are able. People here may disagree, and they may be right - it might not be necessary to contact your schools, but in my experience, more contact with your schools seems better than less. Also, from the conversations I had with schools that rejected me last year, I know that some look at the time it takes you to complete your secondary (again, maybe that's not necessarily true - I'm certainly not trying to scare you or add any stress here . . . and maybe that's not a factor this relatively early in the cycle, but I would rather be safe than sorry and contact them.)

And, in truth, it is still relatively early. Interviews are just getting going, so I would not in any way worry or count yourself out if it takes you a couple more weeks to get those secondaries in.

:luck::luck: and all the best to you. *e-hug*

Oh Still. :( I'm so sorry. I think Culture is right that a letter to the schools is a good idea - I think they can understand that life doesn't always cooperate with deadlines. Also, as far as essays go, myself and several other people on here have been reading essays for fellow applicants, and if you think that might help jumpstart you, I'm more than willing to check a couple of yours out for flow and theme.

* Hugs *

Another e-hug for Stillwaters.

Not much about me although I received the email that I was *finally* verified with AMCAS yesterday, and last night got a "we have your info" from VCU...so it begins.

AACOMAS should get its act together soon too I hope. This process is so much hurry up & wait!

Luck to all.

Sorry to hear that Still. I hope your family stays strong through this difficult time.

Stillwaters, I'm really sorry to hear about your brother. I think it would be a good idea to follow the others' suggestion about contacting your schools and explaining your delay. But don't give up on this cycle--you've already done so much work to get to this point, and you might as well see it through. One school is all it takes.

Good luck with your healing process, as well as the application process.

Stillwaters - my deepest sympathies, and I wish you luck this cycle.

I wanted to report that I was accepted last night to Mercer University School of Medicine, an allopathic medical school in GA!!! Early decision applicant! So thrilled and happy! It was the school that I knew I belonged at, and thankfully, they felt the same way.

Good luck everyone!

Stillwaters - my deepest sympathies, and I wish you luck this cycle.

I wanted to report that I was accepted last night to Mercer University School of Medicine, an allopathic medical school in GA!!! Early decision applicant! So thrilled and happy! It was the school that I knew I belonged at, and thankfully, they felt the same way.

Good luck everyone!

Holy moly! That is one heck of an early acceptance! Way to go!
:hardy::claps::banana::claps::hardy:

WOW!! Accepted on September 4th--that's quite an achievement.:hardy:

Congrats on your feat, and on getting this whole process over with.

Good luck everyone!

Wow! Congratulations!!! That must feel sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good. So good. :)

Thank you everyone for your support. I was able to get the most critical deadlines moved back. I haven't given up on this cycle. I'm just stuck in one place for now.

Glamqueen, Congrats!!! It must be soooo nice! I know you worked very hard to get there, and it finally paid off.:)

I'm glad that I've found this forum and especially this nontrad thread. At 26 trying to finish my last year on a Biology major, I feel like a supersenior around all the little fishes asking for direction around the campus (I just point them to a random building in the opposite direction - JK). Most of my friends from high school are either working on their post-grad or already making dinero with their degrees. But then I figure most of them haven't yet got a chance to see much of the world as Uncle Sam had offered me; their idea of a sandbox is probably different than mine. Anyway, here's my stats:
MCAT: GPA 3.97; May-28, retake July-34
Applied: TMDSAS schools
Interview invitation: TAMHSC (9/25), UTSA (9/29), UT Southwestern (10/4), TCOM (declined interview)

To all the anxious September MCAT takers: study hard, study smart, try to relax on your test day. To those who have been invited for interviews, or better yet are accepted: congrats, yah earned it with sweet/tear/blood. To those waiting for their MCAT score or interview: good luck, and don't forget to keep us informed about your status.

:welcome: armymedicxxx!

That's quite a nice increase in your MCAT score!! And congrats on the interviews! :D You should add those (including the one to TCOM) to the non-trad interview thread. It's great to see such success!

Thank you everyone for your support. I was able to get the most critical deadlines moved back. I haven't given up on this cycle. I'm just stuck in one place for now.

Hang in there, Stillwaters. We're thinking about you.

Wow, glamqueen, that's AWESOME! Enjoy a laid back, stress free fall!

Congrats on the interviews armymedicxxx!

I'm still struggling to get my SMART transcripts added to my application. I have no clue how to fill out the application for the courses taken in the Navy. Lab/no lab? It was all hands-on...

Any other Navy Nukes have an application filled out for a previous year that can give some guidance?

Dude,
I am dying here too! I wasn't a nuke but was an Information Warfare Officer. I only have two items that have ACE Credit- BUD/S and Information Warfare Officer Basic. Everything else is just a bunch of GMT and sexual harassment and cold weather training etc. I have even more from the National Cryptologic School that I can't make heads or tails of. Hopefully someone will help us out!
Cheers