2009 people: who has started their Personal Statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bozz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone started it yet? how's it going so far

I can't seem to start mine

Members don't see this ad.

Well... if I have to reapply... then I've written a rough draft already!!! All I need to do is change some parts, update it, tweak it... and I'm all set.

Don't be jealous. :corny:

Damn, dude, I better get cracking. I haven't started mine yet. I'm thinking about what stuff I want to put into it, but it's already going to be multi-faceted. I have a couple of experiences that I want to include in it; I'm just trying to figure out how to work it all in there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've done my first draft. I thought it would take a long time, but once I got started it was a pretty fast process. Now I just have to give it to some people to review, make some edits, that sort of thing.

Just start free-writing. You must have an idea of the content you want to include in your piece. Don't worry about weaving a perfect quilt just yet. Get every on paper. Lay it all out in front of you. Then, reorganize it. Consider radically revising the theme's and structure. Write another draft. Then, 2 more.
Then hand it off to an english grad student or someone of the nature. Then, take all of their marginalia into consideration and write another draft. Then, possibly, one more.

Writing a good essay isn't about letting only the pure and refined material out onto the page. You spill all the materials out before picking through the pile of rubble for those corner-stone gems. Everyone writes ****ty first drafts(in relativity to their potential).

Then hand it off to an english grad student or someone of the nature.

I had a friend of mine read it who was an english and polisci double major and is now a lawyer. Needless to say she's a pretty good writing.

Anyone started it yet? how's it going so far

I can't seem to start mine

I haven't even started on mine :oops::(. I plan to do it right after I take the MCATS on May 10.

I'm 2010 and I've already started an outline! :)

I have started- not too far but have a lot of ideas

my problem is I have done so much and I have been told to only highlight a few things in the PS so I am trying to decide what deserves the space available.

I keep thinking that I have to start it...but it's so hard! I think the hardest part is knowing where/how to begin. :confused:

For the current cycle, I put off my essay writing waaaaay too late. It seemed insurmountable. What to write about? How to say it? How do I begin it?

In hindsight, though, it really wasn't so bad. I know it seems like it now. When I finally got down to business, I started by just writing a list of all the things I could possibly want to talk about. It was a very long outline. If I had written everything I wanted to talk about, I would have wound up with pages and pages.

Then, seeing my whole "picture" as it were, I cut topics and redefined others. I thought about what was most important to me. I got ideas on how they could all work together and what my theme could be. That really helped me a lot.

Hope it helps! :luck:

One of my professors who is writing my lor wanted my personal statement and so i had to finish it (very very rough draft). Im not at all satisfied with it but don't know how to improve on it...this could be a problem

People keep saying that a "great" ps is the key. What do you guys think constitutes "great"? Somehow i get the feeling that just giving your reasons for wanting to become a physician is insufficient, especially when they take on average 2-3 minutes to read what you wrote. Also there seems to be an emphasis on a "eye-catching opening line" but i feel like that just makes the whole ps feel kinda corny. Anyone figure out a way around this? or did i totally miss the mark?

I started mine and got my first paragraph down and now I have no clue where to go from there. Like literally, none. I know I have plenty of things to talk about, I just don't really know how to say any of it. Anyone know where I can find some sample PS's?

I started mine and got my first paragraph down and now I have no clue where to go from there. Like literally, none. I know I have plenty of things to talk about, I just don't really know how to say any of it. Anyone know where I can find some sample PS's?
Yeah, I've been looking for the same thing. Any good books out there on writing PS for med school?
Thanks for the advice!

I've down several drafts and had it edited by 3 people so far. I'm holding off on finishing it up until after I take the MCAT in April, but I've gotten good feedback so far, so I don't think I have a ton more work to do on it.