2010-2011 Internship Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone else been told they are on the list to interview for Rockland Psychiatric, but not been contacted regarding an interview date???

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone got an interview with them and set up an interview next week? I was told I was going to receive all the information about the actual day of the interview including directions and schedule. But I haven't yet received any emails from them and the interview is next friday...hrm. Any insight?

Has anyone else been told they are on the list to interview for Rockland Psychiatric, but not been contacted regarding an interview date???

Seriously? She still hasn't contacted you? Man, I don't know about this Dr. T lady...

Did you try calling her yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously? She still hasn't contacted you? Man, I don't know about this Dr. T lady...

Did you try calling her yet?

I left 2 messages. She called me back and sounded confused, said she wasn't scheduling interviews and that I needed to talk to Dr. Neunzig. I emailed her and she said she would look into it. Then I got an email from another psychologist, Dr. DiMola, who set me up for next week. Phew:)

How is everyone's interview prep going?

Is anyone else still waiting on UMDNJ-Piscataway? I'm pretty sure it's a no for me but I haven't gotten the official rejection yet.

Hi guys.... Is anyone interviewing at Hudson (poughkeepsie) the last week of January?

HAPPY 2010 EVERYONE!!!:banana:

Good luck at all your interviews!!!

Is anyone who was invited to interview at Children's Hospital Stanford received any additional information about the interview? I am leaving tomorrow to start interviews and have heard nothing from them! Good luck to everyone this week!

Did anyone interview at Manhattan Psychiatric Center yet? Could anyone let me know how long the interview is? Thank you so much!:)

Did anyone interview at Manhattan Psychiatric Center yet? Could anyone let me know how long the interview is? Thank you so much!:)

I'm interviewing there on Thursday, and the director told me to allow an hour, plus a little extra time if you would like to speak with current interns. Hope this helps:)

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI.....

=====

APPIC Member #: 2092
Site Name: Baylor Institute for Rehabilitation, Pre-Doctoral Internship in Psychology
Training Director: Stephen Chock, Ph.D. - (removed e-mail and phone #)

Baylor Institute for Rehabilitation has extended their due date for submitting applications to Jan. 5, 2010. The new interview notification date is now Jan. 8.

==========================================================================

As of December 31, 2009, the total numbers of applicants and internship sites registered to participate in the 2010 APPIC Match were:

- 3,721 registered applicants (excludes 16 who registered but
subsequently withdrew)
- 3,157 positions offered by 690 registered internship sites
(658 of these registered sites are APPIC members)

These numbers reflect a DECREASE of 31 applicants and an INCREASE of 21 positions as compared to last year at this time. Furthermore, the number of participating internship sites has increased by 3, representing 3 fewer APPIC-member sites and 6 more non-member sites as compared to last year.

IMPORTANT NOTE: These numbers change daily and are only a "snapshot" as of December 31 of each year. The final numbers of participating sites and applicants will be significantly different from those presented above. In each of the past eleven years, more than 200 applicants withdrew from the Match after registering. Assuming that trend continues into this year, we estimate that approximately 3,500 to 3,600 applicants will ultimately submit Rank Order Lists for the 2010 Match.

The table below presents the registration numbers from the past twelve years (since the APPIC Match was initiated), as of December 31 of each year, along with the change from the previous year:

APPIC MATCH REGISTRATION NUMBERS AS OF DECEMBER 31

..................---Applicants--- ---Positions--- ---Sites-----
.....................Reg.....Chg..... Reg.....Chg.....Reg.....Chg
================ =============== ===============
Dec 31, 1998 3,090.............2,659...............609
Dec 31, 1999 3,127.....+37...2,773....+114....623.....+14
Dec 31, 2000 3,172.....+45...2,771.......-2.....625......+2
Dec 31, 2001 3,030....-142...2,766.......-5.....617......-8
Dec 31, 2002 3,136....+106...2,774......+8.....619......+2
Dec 31, 2003 3,218......+82...2,753.....-21.....628.....+9
Dec 31, 2004 3,350....+132...2,778.....+25.....621......-7
Dec 31, 2005 3,422......+72...2,811.....+33....630......+9
Dec 31, 2006 3,611....+189...2,904.....+93.....641....+11
Dec 31, 2007 3,665......+54...3,057...+153.....666....+25
Dec 31, 2008 3,752......+87...3,136.....+79.....687....+21
Dec 31, 2009 3,721......-31...3,157.....+21.....690......+3

For comparison purposes, here are the final numbers of participating applicants and programs from each of the ten previous APPIC Matches (note that the numbers are as of Match Day in February for each year, rather than for the preceding December 31, and reflect only the applicants who actually submitted Rank Order Lists):

NUMBER OF PARTICIPATING APPLICANTS AND INTERNSHIP POSITIONS
IN PREVIOUS APPIC MATCHES

Applicants Positions Difference
1999 Match 2,923 2,631 -292
2000 Match 2,957 2,713 -244
2001 Match 2,947 2,763 -184
2002 Match 2,842 2,752 -90
2003 Match 2,963 2,718 -245
2004 Match 3,039 2,732 -307
2005 Match 3,117 2,757 -360
2006 Match 3,210 2,779 -431
2007 Match 3,430 2,884 -546
2008 Match 3,492 3,058 -434
2009 Match 3,598 3,051 -547

Additional statistics from previous matches can be found at www.appic.org -- click on "Match Statistics."

Last edited:
Has anyone been contacted by sites telling them that they were going to match them or not? Sounds odd?

Has anyone been contacted by sites telling them that they were going to match them or not? Sounds odd?
A site cannot tell an applicant where they will rank them, though I believe they can tell you if they are going to rank you. I know this came up either last year or the year before, and I can't remember the exact answer. I believe the issue then was that a handful of sites didn't interview people, but they ranked them....so I'm not sure how the applicants would know if they were being considered. Generally, there shouldn't be any talk of ranking, as they try really hard to be "fair".

As for "matching"....it is out of the site's control, as the matching happens through a combination of how you rank them, they rank you, and where other people fall in the process.

Wow...that is a quick interview. I would definitely talk to the interns.

Whoops, just realized I mixed up two sites. Manhattan Psych is only an hour, but he will give you an intern's name to correspond with via phone or email.

A site cannot tell an applicant where they will rank them, though I believe they can tell you if they are going to rank you.

I wonder if this is the case. I wish sites would tell if they are ranking or not. It would certainly help to prevent wasting a slot on the student's ranking list. I obviously would not rank a site to which I had no chances of getting in. That's like buying a lottery ticket that has already paid out its bounty.

Some sites have informed me whether I will be ranked by saying either...you will not be ranked by our site...and some have sent emails asking for the appic match number so that they can use it for ranking purposes. However, none of the sites told me how I will be ranked by them and I was told explicitly in one interview that they will not solicit nor provide any information about how I would be ranked.

Happy New Year! I hope everyone is surviving the interview process! Is anyone interviewing (or interviewed) for the Boston Center for Multicultural Training in Psychology and if so, do you have any information regarding interview length? Thanks!

Just a heads up to people traveling in or through the Midwest in the next week....we've had some messy storms so make sure to check all of your flights AND allow plenty of time to get where you are going. Things can still happen, but there is no sense tempting Mr. Murphy.

Has anyone who had the 1/2 hour interview at Columbia for adult track heard back about a second interview? I got the impression that the 1/2 interview was like a pre-screening and then they would ask back a select group to attend a more formal interview.

Has anyone who had the 1/2 hour interview at Columbia for adult track heard back about a second interview? I got the impression that the 1/2 interview was like a pre-screening and then they would ask back a select group to attend a more formal interview.

Do you know if this applied to people who live across the country, or do you know if they gave phone interviews for people who live really far away?

Do you know if this applied to people who live across the country, or do you know if they gave phone interviews for people who live really far away?

I dont know about anyone who doesn't live in NYC. I don't even know for sure if there is a formal interview for adult track (i.e. learn about the program, meet interns, plus multiple interviews). I assume there is such a formal interview based on the vague description given to me at the end of my 1/2 hour in-person "pre-interview."

What is your experience?

I dont know about anyone who doesn't live in NYC. I don't even know for sure if there is a formal interview for adult track (i.e. learn about the program, meet interns, plus multiple interviews). I assume there is such a formal interview based on the vague description given to me at the end of my 1/2 hour in-person "pre-interview."

What is your experience?

I was just asking because that is one of the sites I'm interested in applying to (when it's my turn!) and it seems like a lot to fly there for 1/2 hour interview that might possibly be a screener. However, if that's what it took, and the program was up there on my list I'd do it.

I was just asking because that is one of the sites I'm interested in applying to (when it's my turn!) and it seems like a lot to fly there for 1/2 hour interview that might possibly be a screener. However, if that's what it took, and the program was up there on my list I'd do it.

TenaciousGirl, please let us know what you find out. I didn't apply to that site but I am curious about what you find out. I honestly think one 30 min. interview is simply not a decent assessment of a candidate and quite expensive for a long trip. If that was indeed the protocol for the site I would be suspicious that they already had someone in mind and were just going through the APPIC motions. But who knows? Maybe they just knew you were the ONE! :)

At the Cincinnati VA I had three 20 min interviews. They were actually scheduled for 30 min but inevitably folks were late and they never accounted for the travel time between floors and rooms. So the interviews ended up being 20 min. I actually felt rushed during interviews and could barely get any questions that I wanted to ask myself. It also seemed there was a mandate that the interviewer HAD to get through a set number of questions. Some were generic and relevant questions. Some were gimicky questions of the "let me see you think" variety. I have no issues with those types of questions, but I found that 20 minutes was not enough time.

I found the interns and Staff very affable otherwise though.

Last edited:
So given that this board helped my sanity a little earlier in this process.... i'm looking for some feedback.

I am unfortunately in the position of having no internships at APA-Accredited sites, though i do have 1 at an APPIC approved site. I've looked around, seen the information that most states either accept your internship if your APA approved program does (my program is APA approved) or will accept it with the completion of additional Post-Doc hours. and No VA's (but i'm okay with that).

But i'm still worried. i dont want to make a choice that will really hinder me down the road but i also dont want to pass up an opportunity at a program that is appealing.... thoughts?

So given that this board helped my sanity a little earlier in this process.... i'm looking for some feedback.

I am unfortunately in the position of having no internships at APA-Accredited sites, though i do have 1 at an APPIC approved site. I've looked around, seen the information that most states either accept your internship if your APA approved program does (my program is APA approved) or will accept it with the completion of additional Post-Doc hours. and No VA's (but i'm okay with that).

But i'm still worried. i dont want to make a choice that will really hinder me down the road but i also dont want to pass up an opportunity at a program that is appealing.... thoughts?

Help me understand justwaiting4- are you saying you received no interviews? The internship process is still not complete. There is still the clearinghouse.

Also what is your status in grad-school? (4th year? 5th year? 6th year?)

Have you finished your dissertation?

Is this your first time with the match?

If you haven't finished your dissertation I would stay put and finish that beforehand. You could probably acquire more clinical experience as well. These factors would make you more competitive next year.

If you are a 4th year I would stick around my program if possible and accrue more experience. In the internship process you are competing with those who have had 5-7+ years of training.

If this is your first time with the match I wouldn't be quick to put up the white flag yet unless you absolutely could not stand doing this process again. It is difficult, no doubt, but this hazing process appears to be what our field deems important. If you received no interviews from apa sites that might be a clue that your marketability is low. Increased experience should improve your standing, not only for internship, but presumably post-internship as well.

Last year a friend had no interviews. He stuck around for a year and tried again this year. He has had a better outcome. I too did not match last year and have worked on my dissertation instead. I am much better off for it. Let me know how it goes for you.

TenaciousGirl, please let us know what you find out. I didn't apply to that site but I am curious about what you find out. I honestly think one 30 min. interview is simply not a decent assessment of a candidate and quite expensive for a long trip. If that was indeed the protocol for the site I would be suspicious that they already had someone in mind and were just going through the APPIC motions. But who knows? Maybe they just knew you were the ONE! :)

At the Cincinnati VA I had three 20 min interviews. They were actually scheduled for 30 min but inevitably folks were late and they never accounted for the travel time between floors and rooms. So the interviews ended up being 20 min. I actually felt rushed during interviews and could barely get any questions that I wanted to ask myself. It also seemed there was a mandate that the interviewer HAD to get through a set number of questions. Some were generic and relevant questions. Some were gimicky questions of the "let me see you think" variety. I have no issues with those types of questions, but I found that 20 minutes was not enough time.

I found the interns and Staff very affable otherwise though.

Regarding Columbia University Medical Center, you interview with three separate people, 1/2 hour each person.

Has anyone heard from Mt. Sinai Medical Center in New York? Their interview notification date is set for January 14, just trying to get an idea of when I might expect to hear.

Hoping someone can give me some feedback... I signed up for a match number after applying to all my sites and therefore did not include it in my appi. I have already gone on 2 interviews and due to nervousness, forgot to give the sites my match #. So, 2 questions : 1) I was thinking of writing short thank you notes but I feel that including my match # on them would be inappropriate..yes or no about thank you notes? And 2) should I just wait and see if they ask me, or should I give my match # to the other sites at my upcoming interviews? Any feedback would be appreciated!

Sites can look up your Match number easily when they do their rank list and NMS makes this easy, so you don't need to stress about this. It is fine to send the information in an email at this stage, but not necessary.

Hoping someone can give me some feedback... I signed up for a match number after applying to all my sites and therefore did not include it in my appi. I have already gone on 2 interviews and due to nervousness, forgot to give the sites my match #. So, 2 questions : 1) I was thinking of writing short thank you notes but I feel that including my match # on them would be inappropriate..yes or no about thank you notes? And 2) should I just wait and see if they ask me, or should I give my match # to the other sites at my upcoming interviews? Any feedback would be appreciated!

I wonder if providing your match# in a thank you is presumptuous given how easy it is for them to acquire it

Has anyone heard from sites where they were waitlisted? I'm trying to figure out if I should bother calling those places before the ranking.

As interviews are winding down, why don't we share some of the more interesting experiences/questions/challenges that came up during the interview process.

Some of the interesting questions: 1) Tell me about a book or piece of literature that has inspired you, changed your life, or had an impact on your personal development. 2) Tell me about a patient that has challenged your fundamental beliefs about life. 3) If you could change one thing about the DSM what would it me (not necessarily that interesting, but caught me totally off guard). 4) Tell me about a therapy case that you conceptualized (that was it, as vague as it could get).

As far as challenges that came up - I flew into one city on the east coast that was getting snow. I rented a car and started the 20 mile drive to my hotel... I didn't need to use the wipers until about 7 miles into the drive - low and behold the wipers only cleaned off a 1 inch section of the windshield over the path of the drivers side wiper. So here I am sitting up as high as I can, straining to see out the windshield; it was dark so I couldn't see a lot, had trouble seeing the lane markers, street signs, etc. I decided to push through because I was so far already. I eventually pulled over and tried to clean off the wipers to see if that would help - no dice. I did make it to my destination and back to the airport, but it was harrowing at times. When I complained about it to the rental car company, all I got was "Oh, sorry about that, we don't know things are wrong with the car until someone tells us." Wow... just wow.

Some of the interesting questions: 1) Tell me about a book or piece of literature that has inspired you, changed your life, or had an impact on your personal development.

This is one of my favorite questions to ask when I am trying to get to know someone, as I am a closet bibliophile. On a related note, during one of my internship interviews the topic of music came up, and we spent the remainder of our time talking about a specific composer and the era of music. I ended up matching to the site (for other reasons obviously), but I really felt like myself when I was able to talk about music, composing, etc.

My favorite: "If you could be any pet, what would you be and why?"

Also, "If you could make a clinical psych presentation to a first year med school class what would you say?"

My favorite: "If you could be any pet, what would you be and why?"

Also, "If you could make a clinical psych presentation to a first year med school class what would you say?"

I'd rather they ask which animal you would be. Pet is pretty limiting. :p

Well I'd rather they just ask me pertinent questions for internship! :D

Haha, totally. But all applicants tend to do is spew out their memorized answers for those. It's nice to get to know someone by asking some questions out of left field.

At the satellite site to my current practicum, we have staffings for incoming residents. Before we officially inform residents they've been accepted into the program, we always ask them which animal they would be and why. It can be quite entertaining, especially when they think they need to impress us with their answer instead of saying what comes to their mind naturally. :laugh:

Haha, totally. But all applicants tend to do is spew out their memorized answers for those. It's nice to get to know someone by asking some questions out of left field.

At the satellite site to my current practicum, we have staffings for incoming residents. Before we officially inform residents they've been accepted into the program, we always ask them which animal they would be and why. It can be quite entertaining, especially when they think they need to impress us with their answer instead of saying what comes to their mind naturally. :laugh:

Yeah I figured that was what it was about. Honestly though that's just not worth dragging someone across the country over for an interview. During internship interviews there is so little time to interact that I would hope the questions are more focused and direct. It's different if there was more time and if the stakes for matching were not that high.

On the interview trail I also received a "pop assessment report." Had no idea it was coming and what tests were on it. I received a list of MMPI and MCMI scores for personality (not the data plot, just a table with numbers). There were some other measures as well. I also received a table with Rorchach scores.

I'm fine with doing an assessment report but I typically use either the MCMI or the PAI. Couldn't remember exactly which Scale referred to which trait on the MMPI. Had not seen Rorchach scores in years. It would have been nice to brush up on the MMPI and Rorschach. I would never do an assessment with instruments with which I was not readily proficient or had not used in years.

Lots of other standard questions though: "Where do you see yourself in 5 years," "Tell me about an ethics dilemma," etc.

Yeah I figured that was what it was about. Honestly though that's just not worth dragging someone across the country over for an interview. During internship interviews there is so little time to interact that I would hope the questions are more focused and direct. It's different if there was more time and if the stakes for matching were not that high.

On the interview trail I also received a "pop assessment report." Had no idea it was coming and what tests were on it. I received a list of MMPI and MCMI scores for personality (not the data plot, just a table with numbers). There were some other measures as well. I also received a table with Rorchach scores.

I'm fine with doing an assessment report but I typically use either the MCMI or the PAI. Couldn't remember exactly which Scale referred to which trait on the MMPI. Had not seen Rorchach scores in years. It would have been nice to brush up on the MMPI and Rorschach. I would never do an assessment with instruments with which I was not readily proficient or had not used in years.

Lots of other standard questions though: "Where do you see yourself in 5 years," "Tell me about an ethics dilemma," etc.

I agree, "out of left field" questions should be supplementary and minimal. And yes, interviewers can definitely aid in the process by choosing better "standard" questions that encourage less recycled answers from previous interviews, and get at more of who the applicant is as both a person and a clinician.

The APA-accredited internship program where I am on faculty met last week to compile and finalize our rank list. I want to convey to all of you applying that we had a record number of applications and conducted a record number of interviews this year. Indeed, this year we interviewed as many people as the number of total applications we have typically received in past years. The vast majority of the interviewees were stellar and would easily have been a good match for our site. Deciding upon the final rank list was painful (to put it bluntly) and our #25 choice could have just as easily been our #1 choice - it largely came down to the perceived goodness of fit. Please keep in mind that this is a difficult decision for all involved in the process - both applicants and sites.

Hope everyone is doing well and ranking all their sites without too much trouble. I received 2 emails from sites where I interviewed letting me know that I was included in their final ranking list. (that was validating!) Anyone else have similar emails?
I also received some emails from DCT's asking me for my Match #. I thought that they would have an easy way of looking it up (as Docma suggested), yet I am now concerned that some sites may not bother asking for it and not rank me since I signed up for the match AFTER I submitted my appi. I'm just a little more anxious than usual due to the match........ I am hoping the best to all those reading this and I hope we can all celebrate on Feb. 19th..... Best of luck!!!! :xf:

Sites will have no problem getting your number when they enter their lists. Some sites may send requests as a way of conveying their intent to rank--but many do not, so not getting a message is not a message. Many sites do not communicate at all; others do. Some will let you know you are to be ranked; others will not. It is about the culture of the site, not about you. It is not a perfect system, but it works as well as it can. Trust the process.

Thanks Docma. It makes sense when you explain the process. I am focusing on ranking whatever sites offer the best training, exposure and supervision at the top of my list. Thanks for the taking the time to explain! :oops:

Sites will have no problem getting your number when they enter their lists. Some sites may send requests as a way of conveying their intent to rank--but many do not, so not getting a message is not a message. Many sites do not communicate at all; others do. Some will let you know you are to be ranked; others will not. It is about the culture of the site, not about you. It is not a perfect system, but it works as well as it can. Trust the process.

Well said.

I know our site does not contact anyone unless it is to notify that they will not be ranked.

Best of luck to everyone, and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a 100% match rate for SDN members. :D