2010-2011 Jefferson Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey future jeff students

if you are planning on living off campus, i wanted to tell you about an awesome apartment building i found in center city. its a historic building that was just completely renovated to have a modern feel, everything inside is brand new, and each unit has brand new stainless steel appliances (including fridge and dishwasher), hardwood floors, central heat/ac, and a washer/dryer in every unit. the building has a 24 hour doorman and discounted parking across the street.

1 bedrooms start at $1350/month and 2 bedrooms are $2200+

they are currently doing a special for jeff students where you get $1000 rent credit and one month free if you sign a 13 month lease (which really cuts the monthly cost down if you average it out).

PM me if you want more info

If you're paying >1k per person for a 2 bedroom in Philadelphia you're either getting ripped off or you've got mommy and daddy paying your luxury (not out of the realm of possibility given how many Jeff students come from money).

Members don't see this ad.

That's true for all med schools. The average med student is at least upper middle class.

That's true for all med schools. The average med student is at least upper middle class.

while that may be true, I'd certainly fall into "upper middle class," but I don't have my parents paying my rent while in RESDIENCY :O, and I certainly didn't insist on flying business class to interviews.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just giving the wait listers a little hope: I "got the call" that I had been accepted off the high priority wait list this past Thursday. Interviewed late March. Typical application stats + a few years out since undergrad, Philly native.

Unlike what it seems a lot of the other people pulled off the wait list did, I did not send in a single LOI or LOR. After absolutely falling in love with the school, I DID send in effusive "thank you" letters just after the interview to the student and staff interviewers, and on their recommendations both Deans Brooks and Callahan. Whether that was my leg up, I'm not sure.

Either way, they ARE pulling off the wait list. While showing interest may be helpful to get your application moving, it seems follow-up after follow-up may not be absolutely necessary.

Good luck to everyone out there still waiting, and to the decided Jeff '15 kids see you in August!

Just giving the wait listers a little hope: I "got the call" that I had been accepted off the high priority wait list this past Thursday. Interviewed late March. Typical application stats + a few years out since undergrad, Philly native.

Unlike what it seems a lot of the other people pulled off the wait list did, I did not send in a single LOI or LOR. After absolutely falling in love with the school, I DID send in effusive "thank you" letters just after the interview to the student and staff interviewers, and on their recommendations both Deans Brooks and Callahan. Whether that was my leg up, I'm not sure.

Either way, they ARE pulling off the wait list. While showing interest may be helpful to get your application moving, it seems follow-up after follow-up may not be absolutely necessary.

Good luck to everyone out there still waiting, and to the decided Jeff '15 kids see you in August!

Good job getting in... lets hope these WL acceptances keep coming! :xf:

Haha I've been living at home for a few yrs now and saving up nearly all my income. Never been so ready to part with my money!

How long did they give you to make a decision after coming off of the waitlist?

Has anyone gotten any financial aid info from jefferson? Did you get any scholarship/grant? (I'm only middle class). I would say upper-middle is like 100k+ right?

Have any HP listers called to see if anything is happening?

I haven't talked to anyone in the admissions office..... but some of the old threads suggest that right round now they're still waiting for MCAT scores for the BS/MD kids and are therefore keeping spots open for them if they do well enough to continue in the program.

BS/MD students wait until after technically graduating from undergrad to take the MCAT?

I guess you are insinuating that you think they will start to make some moves after those results come back?

Just got a call from Dr. Callahan. I had to withdraw on the spot though, I'll be more timely on sending out those wait list withdraw emails from now on.

@thespazz: Oh, do you mean you just got accepted from the waitlist and withdrew? If so, thank you! :)

I got placed on the HP list in mid-March, after interviewing in early March. OOS applicant. Hoping it turns into an acceptance soon!

Good luck to fellow waitlistees and congrats to acceptees!

Just got a call from Dr. Callahan. I had to withdraw on the spot though, I'll be more timely on sending out those wait list withdraw emails from now on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Send the update letters in guys, directly to the deans if possible.

You'll be pleasantly surprised how receptive the administration is to them, and to queries in general.

Only the one call today? I am guessing Dr. Callahan must do at least several in a row.

Couple questions for any current students lurking or anecdotes from others on the thread. I got an acceptance today and almost positive I am attending. Just wanted to know the general opinion of the clerkships/clinical years at Jefferson. Do you have good opportunities or do you feel like you are left with a lot of scut? And do you feel well prepared for residency? Are there any issues getting electives with a big class?

Thanks for any responses.

Still waiting for that call as well,

are you guys starting to prepare for the next cycle? haha kinda depressing huh.. eh oh well hahah here we go again.

Couple questions for any current students lurking or anecdotes from others on the thread. I got an acceptance today and almost positive I am attending. Just wanted to know the general opinion of the clerkships/clinical years at Jefferson. Do you have good opportunities or do you feel like you are left with a lot of scut? And do you feel well prepared for residency? Are there any issues getting electives with a big class?

Thanks for any responses.

I think some of the 3rd and 4th years posted their experiences in the JMC class thread in the allopathic forum. You can check it out there.

And congrats to everyone who got off the waitlist!

I think some of the 3rd and 4th years posted their experiences in the JMC class thread in the allopathic forum. You can check it out there.

And congrats to everyone who got off the waitlist!

Yea I actually found them after I posted. Thanks.

Still waiting for that call as well,

are you guys starting to prepare for the next cycle? haha kinda depressing huh.. eh oh well hahah here we go again.

Yep I'm starting to get my ducks in line for the next round. Am debating email Brooks or Callahan to ask how I can improve my application. This whole application process is brutal.

Yep I'm starting to get my ducks in line for the next round. Am debating email Brooks or Callahan to ask how I can improve my application. This whole application process is brutal.

haha tell me about it, i've been getting my ducks in line for 4+ years now. Here we go huh, we'll get in this time around. haha....eh haha.

yeah no calls... maybe bad economy=more applicants and fewer accepted students dropping out to pursue high-paying jobs elsewhere

but i keep hoping nonetheless

So I have a question, if we apply for the next cycle, can we still apply to Jeff even though we are still on their waitlist?

From what I understand/was recently told, yes you can apply to a school even though you are still on their waitlist.

Wow, as I was reading about the lack of calls from Jeff recently, I got the call!

Wow, as I was reading about the lack of calls from Jeff recently, I got the call!

:D :clap: :clap: YAY :banana:

Dude this is awesome awesome news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was hoping you'd get in since I saw you on the Georgetown SMP thread. I'm so glad I was right that you'd get a call sooner or later. You deserve it.

Good luck at Jefferson in the fall and congratulations again. :)

I think I'm the last one left... Any words of wisdom?

You aren't the last one. I'm still holding out. I am convinced that with every passing day a piece of me dies. Why won't they call?

But, it's only the beginning of June. This waitlist is moving super slowly. I think only 10 pep. have posted that they got off the waitlist since May. I am assuming that is fewer than how many people actually are taken off the waitlist.. Right? RIGHT???!!!

Hang in there HYDRO4404!!!

Just got off the alternate list today...I was placed on it way back in October!

words of wisdom- Send updates/a letter of interest/intent (thats what I think helped me)

also, way earlier in this thread I had read that the alternate list is pretty much a rejection but i guess it is not so for those of you on it- keep sending out positive vibes and i'm sure something great will happen!

WISHING ALL THE VERY VERY BEST TO EVERYONE!!!

Just got off the alternate list today...I was placed on it way back in October!

words of wisdom- Send updates/a letter of interest/intent (thats what I think helped me)

also, way earlier in this thread I had read that the alternate list is pretty much a rejection but i guess it is not so for those of you on it- keep sending out positive vibes and i'm sure something great will happen!

WISHING ALL THE VERY VERY BEST TO EVERYONE!!!

Congrats! Happy for you! I'm still waiting on the alternate list.

just withdrew from jeff. good luck to everyone still waiting! :xf:

I've been on the HP waiting list since October 27.

It seems like they're taking people off the waiting list, but in order to "fill" the class according to Dr. Callahan. Ex. male/female, GPA, MCAT

Hopefully some more seats open up since it looks like people are withdrawing

I've been on the HP waiting list since October 27.

It seems like they're taking people off the waiting list, but in order to "fill" the class according to Dr. Callahan. Ex. male/female, GPA, MCAT

Hopefully some more seats open up since it looks like people are withdrawing

They're rounding out their numbers? I really hope they need to find a middle-class white male with average GPA & MCAT... haha... eh...

Hopefully this will be the week!

Jeff admissions says that their WL hasn't moved much this year... it may pick up a bit or it might not. Would be sweet if there was a repeat of last year with 65 kids being called up.

Jeff admissions says that their WL hasn't moved much this year... it may pick up a bit or it might not. Would be sweet if there was a repeat of last year with 65 kids being called up.

And the sad thing is I feel like this seems to be happening everywhere. I've heard the same at all the Florida schools too recently.

Good luck with everything for you. I only came on this thread to congratulate Srivastk but now that I'm on here I find myself rooting for you guys still on the waitlist.

Awww, thanks, gujudoc! I still have yet to get the call from Jefferson. I got a "thank you for the update email" from both Dr. Callahan and Dr. Brooks after I sent them a letter of interest via email last Fri.

Hopefully the waitlist moves soon! Good luck to everyone!

I sure hope so that many people get off the WL. Right around maybe 10-12 have gotten off from when I talked to them last week. It seems like they are full and just trying to figure out for people to say they aren't coming =\

Another day goes by...no call.. haha

SIGH

Ahhh would it work for an update letter that all this patient waiting would make me a better doctor? haha. Idk what to do other than just wait.

Throwing in the towel and hard-core reapplying if I don't hear anything by the 15th. It's a big psychological day for me for some reason!

Status
Not open for further replies.