2010-2011 Jefferson Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i am throwing in the towel too...

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry guys, good things will happen. I'm sure the waitlist will move some more.

supposedly the seats are filled everywhere...are there many chances for people to leave and open up seats?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm about to free up a seat today/tomorrow. It's a very tough decision because I love this school--just being financially responsible now.

never underestimate the importance of pragmatism.

Idealism much? C'mon now. I want a school to provide me with a unicorn that craps unicorns, but it's not going to happen. And is Jefferson really anyone's first choice? Jefferson is about as mid-tier as they come.

As a Jeff 4th year who is essentially done with med school, I'd say go to UConn. Jefferson is very good with the whole nice and shiny aspect, but shiny new facilities won't pay off your debt when you're done and you decide that you unexpectedly loved a lower paying specialty (or even a higher paying one). Nor will they help you navigate the nasty administrative headaches that come with a class size of over 250. Jefferson's a good school, but it's not worth 40k+ per year.

For the most part, people are very happy here in the first two years, because Jefferson is a very good school when it comes to pre-clinical education. It helps to have a no-bull****, no PBL lecture based system. The clinical years are where things become hit or miss. With so many in each class students get farmed out to affiliate hospitals which can range from excellent to horrible (though we're not as bad as Drexel in this regard, to be fair to Jeff). Also, if a student has a problem with a clinical rotation, things can get messy fast and not cleaned up quickly (as a number of people in my class can attest to).

I know this is 4th year cynicism, but ya'll need to look beyond just the shiny side of the school that they market to.

I agree.

it would be a mistake to choose Jeff over your state school.

supposedly the seats are filled everywhere...are there many chances for people to leave and open up seats?

I'm pretty close to nabbing a wait list spot elsewhere too...then mine would be freed up for yall :) I do love Jeff, though.

This is what they told me as well. I was originally under the impression there would be a decent amount of WL movement, but I suppose it varies greatly year-to-year.

So the question becomes: does being wait listed on your first try help your chances of getting in on the second try?

This is what they told me as well. I was originally under the impression there would be a decent amount of WL movement, but I suppose it varies greatly year-to-year.

So the question becomes: does being wait listed on your first try help your chances of getting in on the second try?

Don't give up hope yet! On the fb group someone said that he is deferring a year, so hopefully that will result in a phone call this week :luck:

never underestimate the importance of pragmatism.

Idealism much? C'mon now. I want a school to provide me with a unicorn that craps unicorns, but it's not going to happen. And is Jefferson really anyone's first choice? Jefferson is about as mid-tier as they come.

As a Jeff 4th year who is essentially done with med school, I'd say go to UConn. Jefferson is very good with the whole nice and shiny aspect, but shiny new facilities won't pay off your debt when you're done and you decide that you unexpectedly loved a lower paying specialty (or even a higher paying one). Nor will they help you navigate the nasty administrative headaches that come with a class size of over 250. Jefferson's a good school, but it's not worth 40k+ per year.

For the most part, people are very happy here in the first two years, because Jefferson is a very good school when it comes to pre-clinical education. It helps to have a no-bull****, no PBL lecture based system. The clinical years are where things become hit or miss. With so many in each class students get farmed out to affiliate hospitals which can range from excellent to horrible (though we're not as bad as Drexel in this regard, to be fair to Jeff). Also, if a student has a problem with a clinical rotation, things can get messy fast and not cleaned up quickly (as a number of people in my class can attest to).

I know this is 4th year cynicism, but ya'll need to look beyond just the shiny side of the school that they market to.

Is there anything so bad about Jefferson being someone's top school? Top-tier schools, as revered as they are, aren't always the best fit for every applicant or necessary in order to do well/successful as a physician (or so it seems). I'm not embarrassed to say that Jefferson was my #1 choice, just a little curious about your comment.

Anyhow, I do appreciate the rest of your thoughts about Jefferson and the fact that you've shared them with us newcomers. Also, I agree with your statement that an acceptance at a state school should be taken over Jefferson. I recognize that no medical school is perfect. Thanks to your honesty and openness regarding your experience at Jefferson, I now know things I should be aware of and prepared for. I hope to still make the most of my time there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually the state school of PA is Penn State. Jefferson is a private school. There is not cost difference between IS and OOS.

http://www.jefferson.edu/jmc/admissions/faq.cfm

Do you give preference to in-state applicants?
No preference is given to state of residence, except for residents of the state of Delaware. Jefferson Medical College is the official medical school for the state of Delaware.

Kind of angry since I always thought being a PA resident would when help applying here.

http://www.jefferson.edu/jmc/admissions/faq.cfm

Do you give preference to in-state applicants?
No preference is given to state of residence, except for residents of the state of Delaware. Jefferson Medical College is the official medical school for the state of Delaware.

Kind of angry since I always thought being a PA resident would when help applying here.

Yeah that's very bizarre that it would be Delaware's med school when it's located in philly? :confused:

can anyone recommend good offsite (nearby) housing 1 bedroom/studio/apts?

Can you pm me some names of good places out there?
That would help me out tremendously. Thank you.

Jefferson is in a nice section of center city and there are a metric crapton of decent apartments well within walking distance. Craigslist might be a good place to start looking. You can probably even search by "Jefferson".

I think I'm going to withdraw from the HPWL in the next few days. Temple stole my heart but I wanted an answer from Jeff as it was my first choice going in. That said, I've made no effort to get off the WL whatsoever. People that are on the WL without any acceptances deserve to be considered way more than I do.

Good luck to the rest of you waiting on a spot. I hope they show you some love. And for all you Jeff-bound folks, we may just run into each other at some point or another. :)

Yeah that's very bizarre that it would be Delaware's med school when it's located in philly? :confused:

Jefferson is Delaware's state school because there are no public or private medical schools in DE. I don't know why specifically Jefferson is the school of choice, maybe because it's the closest? The State of DE and Jeff have a long standing agreement where DE gives funds to Jeff for a certain number of DE residents and Jefferson accepts a certain number of DE students. Otherwise, DE residents would not have any connections with a med school.

Congrats bro. Wonder how many people she called today....

Thanks man. All she told me was that a seat opened up last night. I did get an email from her last week saying that wanted to offer me a spot, but had no seats.

Good luck to everyone waiting!

Wow that's incredible. Was their email in response to one of yours, or did they send you an unsolicited message that essentially said that you were next in line? Haha I should start bothering Dr. Callahan.

Wow that's incredible. Was their email in response to one of yours, or did they send you an unsolicited message that essentially said that you were next in line? Haha I should start bothering Dr. Callahan.

It was directly from her in response to one of my emails. Definitely keep emailing her about a spot.

Congrats!! you should join the fb group

Thanks and already did :)

Generally states which have 0 medical schools of their own are considered in state in states nearby.

Even in Florida where there are now 7 medical schools, in the panhandle where there is no nearby medical school the residents of the panhandle are considered as alabama residents for purposes of medical education.

In states like Delaware that have no state schools of their own it would make sense that they get considered for either Penn or NJ schools as their state schools as these are their closest states. I am sure there are such situations in the west too where there are states lacking med schools i.e. Montana, etc. The state of Delaware is really really small though. so I highly doubt it will affect you guys too much. There's so few universities there. My bro lived right by one of them few years ago which is how I know all this. Visited there just 2 years ago.

Got pulled off the waitlist June 2 and will be joining many of you this Fall. Hang in there if you're still on waitlists! The world isn't over :)

For those of you attending Jeff, has anyone else noticed that their email was not migrated to gmail? I've still got the oldschool web-mail interface and only 60 mb :/

PS: Any HPSP recipients in the audience??

Last edited:
I withdrew a week ago, but it was migrated to gmail when I was playing around with it since April.

I called the IT dept and they're waiting for the class to settle in and finalize before migrating everyone to Gmail.

Accepted!!!! Off the (low-priority) "Alternate List" today at 10:07AM according to my phone. Holy cannoli, I totally did not expect to ever be typing these words. Still in shock and disbelief. I had a hard time concentrating when Dr. Callahan said much beyond, "Hi this is Clara ...", but I am pretty sure I said yes and eagerly await written confirmation in order to be absolutely sure that this is not some crazy dream. I keep finding myself spacing out today -- like I can't focus on anything but what this might mean for me and the future and all that jazz. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For everyone else who does not yet have an acceptance, please keep the faith: I had just sent Drs. C and B an update yesterday afternoon. It certainly doesn't hurt.

Seems like the Tuesday night email may be very effective since they might be meeting on Wednesdays.

Anyone know where we can get Jeff gear? The bookstore link seems broken.

Last edited:
can someone help me clarify, so JMC institutional loan is from the school? Also is FAFSA referring to my subsidized/unsubsidized loans? I'm kinda at a lost here... haha.

I emailed Dr. Callahan and she said the class is currently full. :( However, movement may occur if spots open up.
Good luck to everyone! :)

I emailed Dr. Callahan and she said the class is currently full. :( However, movement may occur if spots open up.
Good luck to everyone! :)

that's what's been happening for a few wks now. class has been full

Hey guys just wondering was there an online forum of sorts, where they post previous exams and notes? I remember someone mentioning this during the tour at interview date.

Hey guys just wondering was there an online forum of sorts, where they post previous exams and notes? I remember someone mentioning this during the tour at interview date.

I assume that's all posted in JeffShare, but it doesn't seem like anything is posted for us yet.

also sorry for all the questions, but is there like a Jeff only forum about off campus housing?

I've gotten much help thus far, but more the marrier.

Wanted to update you guys, I got a call a while back!
Wasn't able to post though. Hello class of 2015.

Wanted to update you guys, I got a call a while back!
Wasn't able to post though. Hello class of 2015.

Congrats and hopefully ur not the last one to get the call! When did they contact you?

Congrats and hopefully ur not the last one to get the call! When did they contact you?

back in June, I was asked not to post anything for a while, so that the volume of calls wouldn't overwhelm them.

Thanks Hydro, Hopefully things will pan out for you!

...just withdrew from WL. GL to those left, hopefully something will happen in the next 3 days.

...just withdrew from WL. GL to those left, hopefully something will happen in the next 3 days.

GOOD LUCK at USC!!!! You must be happy to be staying in cali if you are from there and congratulations. :).

Status
Not open for further replies.