2010-2011 Psychology PhD/Psy.D. Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since when? I thought apps were due December 1st? Does this mean that they didn't receive enough applications? Do tell! ;)

I don't know but I believe several programs have extended deadlines. U of Buffalo is one that comes to mind. I did not apply there but received an email a few days back telling me they moved the date back (I had asked a question last spring and I guess got on the email list).

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry if I already missed this, but is your program a PhD or PsyD program? I am applying to both, and I have noticed that the PsyD programs are far more willing to take a higher number of credits. IUP takes quite a high number, I can't remember off the top of my head how many, but it may have been around 30. This would be ideal for me, since I am coming in with a masters.

Counseling Psych Ph.D.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone here applying to Lehigh's counseling PhD program, or know anything about it? I will be applying (actually finishing my app today!) and I am surprised that I have not read one thing about it on this forum.

UGH I spent so much time research, creating and narrowing down my list. I am now seriously regretting taking 2 schools off of my final list and don't know what to do about it. One school's deadline is past the other one is coming up at the end of December. I feel like I could get the end of December one done this week and priority/overnight the stuff, but I feel more badly that I've already asked my recommenders to do all of this work and now I'd be asking them to scramble to get me another letter. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Go for it. If they have already written you letters, they likely will just need to print off another and change the contact info for who it is sent to. You don't want to regret not applying somewhere.

November 13th GRE Subject test results are available via phone for anyone who is interested (at least mine were...).

dancing.gif

Good luck with getting interviews everyone! :luck:

Argh! I just found out that two of my schools STILL haven't received my GRE scores, and they were sent out over 6 weeks ago! *hates ETS* +pissed+

Now I'm off to spend the rest of my day calling people and hoping this doesn't tank my application, considering the schools both had Dec. 1st deadlines.

So I called one of my schools today to see if all of my materials are in (deadline isn't until January) and they told me that they have everything, it's out for review, and I will be hearing back soon. I wasn't aware that schools begin to review this early before the deadline. Maybe I will hear back earlier than I think...

8 out of 14 applications in and I just realized I missed a deadline (thought it was 12/15 and was really 12/1). :eek: Any use in sending in an application LATE? :scared:

Argh! I just found out that two of my schools STILL haven't received my GRE scores, and they were sent out over 6 weeks ago! *hates ETS* +pissed+

Now I'm off to spend the rest of my day calling people and hoping this doesn't tank my application, considering the schools both had Dec. 1st deadlines.

I understand your frustration. I had to send my transcripts three separate times (over nearly three months) before two of the schools I am applying to said they got them. It drove me crazy!

8 out of 14 applications in and I just realized I missed a deadline (thought it was 12/15 and was really 12/1). :eek: Any use in sending in an application LATE? :scared:

Unfortunately, most likely not. If you're still considering it, I'd definitely ask before sending them anything.

yeah i still haven't got confirmation in the mail about the scores I sent about 3 weeks ago. (Nov20th -ish) usually it's much faster than that.

OT: I finished my last application today. I've procrastinated like crazy, but I think I've done a good job and I am hoping for the best. Now I'm just going to get the my references to finally send their letters in - they are not good with deadlines!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
News about Canadian programs: I talked to a prof last week from UofT, who's been hired as a clinical prof. UofT is getting it's own Clinical Psychology program (starting FALL 2012, apply for dec 2011) but it will be based primarily at the Scarborough campus, although we have clinical psychologists at all 3 campuses. it's possible that if you are accepted this year, you *may* be able to transfer right into that program. It's definitely exciting and I am really happy I ended up applying at UofT.

Same boat!
I have everything in! (exception of 3 schools which want the packets all together)
I have one LOR writer who sent everything! One that is meeting deadlines as he goes, which is good, but not as relaxing as the first. Then the 3rd is a week late for my first deadline. I emailed her last Thurs and she said she had everything she needs and is getting it done "today". I don't want to harass her and get a (-) LOR, but it's painful to receive emails saying I'm missing just her one LOR!

Btw, just curious, what's a good Psych GRE score? Just got my back!

One of mine has done everything too... Another has done some but not all, getting a bit worried. My best reference... is super busy, but I will be confronting/pleading him tomorrow because I work with him.

Is anyone applying to Kent State clinical phd program? I submitted my graduate application and emailed my personal statement and information sheet to the email address that they provided on the website, but I'm a little confused on if I need to do more than that. Do they want a hard copy mailed to them as well? I hope not because it is due tomorrow! I have tried emailing and calling the department but I can't get in touch with anyone..I was hoping someone had some insight on here!

The only email address I see is [email protected]. Is that the one that you sent to? My letters and GRE scores aren't showing up either ..and I'm just getting really paranoid about it! I just submitted saturday so maybe it just hasnt been processed yet. Thanks for your help..I'll keep digging around for another email address

yeah i still haven't got confirmation in the mail about the scores I sent about 3 weeks ago. (Nov20th -ish) usually it's much faster than that.

I sent my scores a few weeks ago and got confirmation pretty quickly (like within a week), but turns out, for one of my schools, the scores were sent, but were never delivered. How does that happen/what does that mean? I found about this a few days before the deadline, I called ETS and asked them what was going on and they said I should check with the school, the school of course said I needed to check with ETS. I ended up faxing the school a copy of my scores, while ETS resent them. I got a confirmation that my application was complete last week and that it was under review so I'm hoping that it is really all set.
All in all, I will be pretty happy to be all done with ETS after this is all done for many many reasons.

^ What could happen as well is bad communication between the "graduate studies" center and the "department". Usually you have to send docs (including GREs and Transcripts) to the graduate application center first who then forward them to the respective departments.

Every year they raise the price for sending scores too... geez.

Yayyyy! My super busy reference will be completing all of them today... only 1 is late... phew!

Just got to make sure the other reference submits his last two by tomorrow.

I also had a problem with getting a few materials in late. Last week I found out that one of my schools had lost my transcript request form :mad: and I didn't realize it until after all my school deadlines when I got an email from one telling me my application was incomplete (although I should have looked into it).

My schools now have all my transcripts.... but since it was past the deadline, will my application still be considered? :scared:

I also had a problem with getting a few materials in late. Last week I found out that one of my schools had lost my transcript request form :mad: and I didn't realize it until after all my school deadlines when I got an email from one telling me my application was incomplete (although I should have looked into it).

My schools now have all my transcripts.... but since it was past the deadline, will my application still be considered? :scared:

When I had this problem a couple of weeks ago I called a couple of schools to ask just that. From at least the two that I talked to, they said that the deadline was mostly for the actual application part and that for the other things we don't have direct control over (such as transcripts and LORs), they are much more lenient about the deadline. This may not be the case for your schools, but as long as everything else was on time, I wouldn't worry.

Seriously! I just got off the phone with ETS for what feels like the billionth time! Two of my schools never received my Psych GRE scores, of course the two that didn't were two of the ones that require it. ETS was trying to make me pay another $23 to have them re-sent, but I refused and they finally caved (before I had to) :bang:

Still waiting for my past-due one. I don't want to bug her, she said she was working on it last week. Any suggestions to "remind her" again? Or should I just wait it out! Just annoying all my apps are complete, my future is in the hands of one professor!
Just thinking into the future, will they still review my app with 2 LOR, or depends on schools? Otherwise, should I start looking for a backup? Most of my schools aren't actually due until mid-January.

Btw, applying to PsyD schools!

I would find a backup.

I had one person who said they would write me a letter, then wouldn't respond to any e-mails. I was very polite about it and even inquired if everything was copacetic via a phone message. I never received any response over the course of around a month and a half. I decided it was better to just find backups rather than gamble on someone else's unpredictable behavior. I found two other people to write letters just in case there were additional problems.

Seriously! I just got off the phone with ETS for what feels like the billionth time! Two of my schools never received my Psych GRE scores, of course the two that didn't were two of the ones that require it. ETS was trying to make me pay another $23 to have them re-sent, but I refused and they finally caved (before I had to) :bang:

That's surprising that they tried to make you pay AGAIN! When I called they were really nice and re-sent them without me even having to ask. Plus, for 23$, they BETTER resend scores that were not received! I mean, really, all that money pays for is for someone to hit a button. It's ridiculous.

That's just a lot of work! She is responsive. When I sent an email to her, she responded pretty quickly. I just think either she is one of those "notoriously" late writers or just got busy since our term just ended and final grades are being worked on. I guess I'll give her a little more time. Just don't want to harass her and end up getting a negative letter.

OK, so you answered your own question then...
th_smiley_emoticons_confusednew.gif

I was mainly looking for advise on contacting rec writers who were late.
It takes a lot of work on my part and the new person to remake all the packets and everything. I was just thinking I'll give her a little more time before going into that. I appreciate your advise and it is helpful to know what other people did in the past.

Not a problem. I wasn't upset. I found it humorous. :D

I had a long conversation with one of my own chronically late letter writers a couple weeks ago, and he told me that no school would ever throw out an app simply because of a late LoR. He said that they would start the preliminary process with what they had, since they do an initial 'ranking' right off the bat anyway that relies heavily on the student's stats. He used to be the coordinator of the master's program here, so I would assume that he would know.

Hope that helps!

Hi everyone,

I've been following this site for a while, and everything I've been reading has been really reassuring (except for last years rejection thread...but you know). I was wondering if anyone applying to Vanderbilt's Psychology program knows how to resend Recommendation notices to recommenders? My PI lost the email. Freaking out a little because application is due tomorrow! Thanks for your help!

Hi everyone,

I've been following this site for a while, and everything I've been reading has been really reassuring (except for last years rejection thread...but you know). I was wondering if anyone applying to Vanderbilt's Psychology program knows how to resend Recommendation notices to recommenders? My PI lost the email. Freaking out a little because application is due tomorrow! Thanks for your help!

I don't know about Vanderbilt in particular, but...

1) Most programs are pretty understanding about letters of recommendation being a little late.

2) You might want to email the graduate admissions office directly, usually they're pretty quick to respond in my experience, and see if they can't resend the link or give the professor an address to email the letter to.

+ 1 for being done with ETS :D

I sent my scores a few weeks ago and got confirmation pretty quickly (like within a week), but turns out, for one of my schools, the scores were sent, but were never delivered. How does that happen/what does that mean? I found about this a few days before the deadline, I called ETS and asked them what was going on and they said I should check with the school, the school of course said I needed to check with ETS. I ended up faxing the school a copy of my scores, while ETS resent them. I got a confirmation that my application was complete last week and that it was under review so I'm hoping that it is really all set.
All in all, I will be pretty happy to be all done with ETS after this is all done for many many reasons.

This is the case with a few of my programs - especially UMASS. They only half about half of what I sent listed as received :thumbdown:

^ What could happen as well is bad communication between the "graduate studies" center and the "department". Usually you have to send docs (including GREs and Transcripts) to the graduate application center first who then forward them to the respective departments.

Every year they raise the price for sending scores too... geez.

I had a long conversation with one of my own chronically late letter writers a couple weeks ago, and he told me that no school would ever throw out an app simply because of a late LoR. He said that they would start the preliminary process with what they had, since they do an initial 'ranking' right off the bat anyway that relies heavily on the student's stats. He used to be the coordinator of the master's program here, so I would assume that he would know.

Hope that helps!

oh that's such a relief... i thought there was at least some leniency with these things, so that makes me feel a lot better.

No problem, I can help with this. I'm new to this forum (just discovered it yesterday) and can tell you about the schools I applied to on this list that are not on yours:
15. La Salle - PsyD
16. UMass Boston
17. U of Illinois at Chicago
18. Northwestern (Feinberg campus)
19. Fairleigh Dickinson
20. Hofstra

I think that LIU is psychodynamic-focused...

Do any of you know of any really well balanced PhD programs even maybe geared more towards the clinical side?

so far my list goes:
1. Rutgers U-PsyD-nm
2. LIU-PsyD-nm
3. UHartford-PsyD-nm
4. American U
5. Boston U
6. Clark U
7. Uconn
8. Howard U
10. URI
11. St Johns U
12. Syracuse U
13. Temple U
14. Drexel U

I don't know about Vanderbilt in particular, but...

1) Most programs are pretty understanding about letters of recommendation being a little late.

2) You might want to email the graduate admissions office directly, usually they're pretty quick to respond in my experience, and see if they can't resend the link or give the professor an address to email the letter to.

Thanks, i actually emailed them last night, got really anxious and just called the admissions office. People in Tennessee are really nice! They just resent the email for me. Good luck on applications, everyone! If it's not the application fees that are going to kill us, it's the anticipation.