2010-2011 Rush Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to :beat: but on questions 3 and 4 (leadership and research) are we expected to include activities and descriptions even if already included on AMCAS? It just seems redundant to me but I may be missing something here.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to :beat: but on questions 3 and 4 (leadership and research) are we expected to include activities and descriptions even if already included on AMCAS? It just seems redundant to me but I may be missing something here.

I was redundant. I have decided after reading secondaries that nobody actually looks at the AMCAS application. :laugh:

I was redundant. I have decided after reading secondaries that nobody actually looks at the AMCAS application. :laugh:

haha probably true. But in the past hasn't Rush done closed interviews where one interviewer only has the secondary and not our primary?

Members don't see this ad :)

I used activities that I included on AMCAS... especially since it asked for activities that mean the most to you.

But I wrote information that I didn't get a chance to address on my AMCAS. For the leadership activity, I talked about my leadership position in an evolutionary biology research lab. In my AMCAS, I mostly described what the research was and briefly my role in each position I had held, emphasizing the research aspect. For the Rush Supp, I didn't mention what the research was about (since it's only asking for leadership), and really went more in depth in exactly what I did as a leader, and expanded on what I had gained from that experience. So it sounds nothing like my AMCAS app.

Then for the research question, I wrote about the neurobiology lab I work in now. I talked more in detail about a different research project that I didn't really get to mention in my AMCAS app. Especially because I'm second author on a paper in submission (which didn't happen until after I submitted AMCAS), so I got the chance to add that in there. And of course, I mentioned what I have gained from that experience. I've worked on multiple projects in this lab, and I was sad I really only had room to talk about one project on AMCAS, so I picked another one for the Rush Supp.

So basically, I chose the same activities, but put different spins on them by either describing a different aspect or by emphasizing different qualities. I agree with chrisoc13 that sometimes it really seems like these schools don't look at your AMCAS app (which is depressing, considering how much time I spent on it) especially after realizing that most supp applications ask the same exact questions as AMCAS. But you still never know, so I always try to put a different light on my experiences, or at least try and re-write it so it doesn't sound the same as AMCAS.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
is anyone else having problems accessing the signature page? my browsers (ie 7 and firefox) just crash when trying to view the form. If someone already has it, can you pm me a blank copy of the .pdf?

I had troubles - had to get my parents to open it, and email it to me

Did anyone get a follow up email to the initial secondary invite email? I got a second email and it read something like:

"Dear [Applicant name],

Thank you for adding Rush Medical College to the list of schools you are interested in pursuing for your medical education. Your AMCAS application highlights your academic achievement and your commitment to health care and we are very excited about the possibility of you joining our community for your medical education.

etc."

This sounds like they screen or even look at my primary before my secondary. Additionally, the email is dated (though sent in the early hours of the morning) and seems more personalized. Did anyone get something similar? Considering I already obtain the email asking me to fill out a secondary what does it mean?

This was sent roughly 2 weeks after the first email.

Last edited:
Yeah, I got the same thing. Not sure what it is.

Me three. Not sure if it's automated based on MCAT or it's something a little more.

The only other email I got from Rush was my complete email.

aww man.... I want a second secondary invite : (

Did anyone get a follow up email to the initial secondary invite email? I got a second email and it read something like:

"Dear [Applicant name],

Thank you for adding Rush Medical College to the list of schools you are interested in pursuing for your medical education. Your AMCAS application highlights your academic achievement and your commitment to health care and we are very excited about the possibility of you joining our community for your medical education.

etc."

This sounds like they screen or even look at my primary before my secondary. Additionally, the email is dated (though sent in the early hours of the morning) and seems more personalized. Did anyone get something similar? Considering I already obtain the email asking me to fill out a secondary what does it mean?

Hm, I never received an initial email from them. I got the same email you posted. I hope that's an indication that they looked at our primaries and liked us. :p Though I was under the impression that they don't screen....

Members don't see this ad :)

"Dear [Applicant name],

etc."

Me too. To the people who received this email, what are your stats? Mine are 3.99GPA/28M... obviously they didn't send it to me for my MCAT lol.

I thought it was weird... but maybe it was a reminder email since I hadn't filled out the secondary yet. Or maybe it was just to inform you that the secondary application was now available? Idk

me too. To the people who received this email, what are your stats? Mine are 3.99gpa/28m... Obviously they didn't send it to me for my mcat lol.

I thought it was weird... But maybe it was a reminder email since i hadn't filled out the secondary yet. Or maybe it was just to inform you that the secondary application was now available? Idk

Last edited:
I got that email about 5 hours after I submitted the secondary

The only other email I got from Rush was my complete email.

How long did it take for your complete email to come? My signature page was supposed to arrive yesterday, but according to my online status it isn't there. Do you think I should resend it?

How long did it take for your complete email to come? My signature page was supposed to arrive yesterday, but according to my online status it isn't there. Do you think I should resend it?

I think I there was a four day difference between when I know it got there (from post office tracking) and when they finally said they had it.

I think I there was a four day difference between when I know it got there (from post office tracking) and when they finally said they had it.

Sounds about right. I sent out both my RFU and Rush applications at the same time last Monday; RFU said they got it on Tuesday whereas Rush just marked me complete now (On a Saturday? lol).

For the activities section, did people just copy and paste the descriptions they had on AMCAS, because that's what I did rather than coming up with all new descriptions. Or should I re-work the descriptions?
:cool:

Last edited:
Finally complete today, 10 days after submitting.

Hmm, that's weird...even with an LOR discrepancy, I still was complete within a week of mailing it out...and I live in CA.

Hmm, that's weird...even with an LOR discrepancy, I still was complete within a week of mailing it out...and I live in CA.
By little over a week, I mean like a week and one day. My stuff reached there last Thursday/Friday I believe and since Monday (or so), the website said my stuff has reached there. For some reason, my letters are reported as reaching there on 8/18 even though I sent them in mid-July. Ah well. Glad to be complete though and hoping for an interview!

By little over a week, I mean like a week and one day. My stuff reached there last Thursday/Friday I believe and since Monday (or so), the website said my stuff has reached there. For some reason, my letters are reported as reaching there on 8/18 even though I sent them in mid-July. Ah well. Glad to be complete though and hoping for an interview!

Haha my brain isn't working...we're later in the cycle so of course things take longer lol.ooopsie. But ya, I think they just didn't download them or whatever til the 18th...but anyway, I digress.

Point of this post: good luck!!

I was wondering if anyone has heard stuff about non-early decision interviews. I know they don't even start classes until September or something, so I was wondering if maybe their waiting...

I was wondering if anyone has heard stuff about non-early decision interviews. I know they don't even start classes until September or something, so I was wondering if maybe their waiting...

I don't exactly know what you're referring to as to my knowledge, Rush doesn't have an early decision program. However, interviews in general, are given out in from Sept to March. My guess is that they won't starting sending invites until Sept.

Thanks... I thought it had an early decision program but it doesn't....

Any takers??

I didn't, just because I didn't want them thinking that I was being lazy or anything (probably being paranoid). I just reworded them, plus the character limit was pretty low so it didn't take too long.

Still waiting on my secondaries :( I am new to the thread and haven't seen the prompt posted yet.

Can someone please post the questions from the actual secondary? Tnx

Still waiting on my secondaries :( I am new to the thread and haven't seen the prompt posted yet.

Can someone please post the questions from the actual secondary? Tnx

www.rushsupp.com will contain everything you need--sample secondary and all the forms. I actually don't think you need an invitation to complete it-->

the website says: The Rush Supplemental Application for the 2011 entering class in now available. Once you have an AMCAS ID, you are welcome to begin the Rush Supplemental Application; you do not need to wait for a formal invitation.

www.rushsupp.com will contain everything you need--sample secondary and all the forms. I actually don't think you need an invitation to complete it-->

the website says: The Rush Supplemental Application for the 2011 entering class in now available. Once you have an AMCAS ID, you are welcome to begin the Rush Supplemental Application; you do not need to wait for a formal invitation.

Thanks a million! Good Luck!

for the question regarding post-bac enrollment, are they referring to formal programs?

When do you think would be an appropriate time to send an in-the-area email? After they start releasing, I'm going to be nearby in early October.

When do you think would be an appropriate time to send an in-the-area email? After they start releasing, I'm going to be nearby in early October.
I looked at last two years of Rush threads and it looks like they don't even start giving interview invites until Sept 25/26th (really late September). But then again, it shouldn't hurt to let them know you will be in the area (I might too). Maybe do it a few days before you book your flight BUT realize that they probably will still wait until late September to let you know... so maybe book a flight you can change around (southwest?)

I looked at last two years of Rush threads and it looks like they don't even start giving interview invites until Sept 25/26th (really late September). But then again, it shouldn't hurt to let them know you will be in the area (I might too). Maybe do it a few days before you book your flight BUT realize that they probably will still wait until late September to let you know... so maybe book a flight you can change around (southwest?)

I'm a United frequently flyer and will be flying with them (they fly in/out of my area into ORD at very convenient times), and the SWA times are inconvenient for me..as much as I love SWA.

I'll probably just email them in about a week or so when I plan to book. If they don't get back to me, another trip to downtown Chicago! :)

I am also waiting for my file to go "complete" I submitted the signature page8/11 and tracking said it arrived on 8/16...I didn't get verified by AMCAS till the late Aug and got the secondary 8/31...so I don't know if that is what is holding it up, but they said they already downloaded AMCAS. I emailed them but haven't heard back yet and they don't want phone calls or even provide a phone number...I hope it is just a processing delay and I don't have to sent it again.:(

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the 2ndary website?

I am also waiting for my file to go "complete" I submitted the signature page8/11 and tracking said it arrived on 8/16...I didn't get verified by AMCAS till the late Aug and got the secondary 8/31...so I don't know if that is what is holding it up, but they said they already downloaded AMCAS. I emailed them but haven't heard back yet and they don't want phone calls or even provide a phone number...I hope it is just a processing delay and I don't have to sent it again.:(

Yeah, for some reason Rush doesn't want phone calls. I tried getting around it by calling the main phone and asking to be transfer to Admissions and the lady on the phone even said they do not accept phone calls...

Anyway, you should be getting a response soon. Since they don't take phone calls, Rush generally responds to e-mails fairly quickly. How long has it been since you e-mailed them? If it's only be a day, I would wait a little longer. Check to make sure you sent it to the correct address. If it's been a few days I'd suggest sending another one.

Yeah, for some reason Rush doesn't want phone calls. I tried getting around it by calling the main phone and asking to be transfer to Admissions and the lady on the phone even said they do not accept phone calls...

Anyway, you should be getting a response soon. Since they don't take phone calls, Rush generally responds to e-mails fairly quickly. How long has it been since you e-mailed them? If it's only be a day, I would wait a little longer. Check to make sure you sent it to the correct address. If it's been a few days I'd suggest sending another one.

Yeah thanks, It has been a few days so I sent another one today... hopefully they get back to me.

Oh, man, they really know how to weed out the uninterested people. An imposed deadline, more essays than you can count on two hands, shutting down for "maintenance" every night. Not to mention surprise bonus questions even after you think you've said "submit".

All I can say is "I DID IT FOR YOU, RUSH!" and :xf:.

Oh, man, they really know how to weed out the uninterested people. An imposed deadline, more essays than you can count on two hands, shutting down for "maintenance" every night. Not to mention surprise bonus questions even after you think you've said "submit".

All I can say is "I DID IT FOR YOU, RUSH!" and :xf:.

Lol... the secondary is rough for sure. Surprise bonus questions? :confused:

Lol... the secondary is rough for sure. Surprise bonus questions? :confused:

Ha! It's true...a little survey pops up to inquire about any relationships you have with the school (i.e., relatives who are alums, faculty, etc.). But then you are FINALLY DONE!! Good luck!

I haven't sent in my secondaries yet for Rush, is it still worth submitting this late?

I haven't sent in my secondaries yet for Rush, is it still worth submitting this late?

I would say, as long as you have decent stats, it's definitely not too late for Rush. They just opened up the supplemental app in late August so it has only been available for less than a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.