2010-2011 Stony Brook Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview Invite 9/15!

Members don't see this ad.

When did you guys get an application completed email?

Members don't see this ad :)
MSTP invite! The email says that they are doing a large number of med school interviews on Nov 3rd!

No, my whole life story is all over the forums.

Out of State, 3.5/33, Complete around Aug. 5th

Congrats!!!

My stats are similar to yours and I submitted and completed on the same day. Also OOS. I hope to hear from them since an opportunity to go to school in NY would be great. I recently spent a weekend in NY, which is the longest I've ever been there and it struck me that a lot of the way they do things really makes more sense than other parts of the States.

Does anyone know how soon they send out rejections?

I just visited the secondary application, and noticed that I can still alter things and turn it in.
I later revisited the website and the alterations were still there

What's up with that??

Complete 8/6
Invite 9/17
IS

I was thinking about driving to Stony Brook from Upstate NY using I-95/Cross Bronx Expressway. I heard that the traffic is horrible on the Cross Bronx; does anyone know if it reasonable for me to use it if I avoid rush hour? Thanks!

Complete 8/6
Invite 9/17
IS

I was thinking about driving to Stony Brook from Upstate NY using I-95/Cross Bronx Expressway. I heard that the traffic is horrible on the Cross Bronx; does anyone know if it reasonable for me to use it if I avoid rush hour? Thanks!

I find that there's like a two hour window between 7am and 7pm where traffic is manageable -_-

The Cross Bronx has traffic even at 10 PM. Most annoying road/highway in the entire city. If you have to use it just give yourself extra time.

Complete 8/6
Invite 9/17
IS

In 2009 they actually ranked it's intersection with the BRP the #1 Worst Traffic Bottleneck in the country! It had 4 spots on the top 10 list

I use it to get to work sometimes, and you shouldn't go anywhere near it after 7:30am. Before 7:30 it's...manageable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Completed 8/11
Invite 9/21

IS, 3.75, 34

Hm...what should I say when they ask me why I want to go to Stony Brook if I am oos? I really have no good reason...=:confused:

Complete 8/6
Invite 9/17
IS

It is horrible during the day. If you could get there early in the morning before 6 or 7, you should be fine. Also, they have been doing more and more roadwork. you should definitely check into that before you drive in. Other than that, directions to the med school are simple. LIE-495 to exit 62N and drive 10 miles till you hit SBU :) Good luck

Hm...what should I say when they ask me why I want to go to Stony Brook if I am oos? I really have no good reason...=:confused:

Sharon, they are big into research. Find a prof or program at SB that interest you. Also, you can talk about the clinical exposure you would have, seeing that SB is the only trauma I in Suffolk. Good Luck.

Interview INVITE!

PSYCHED!

IS gpa 3.3 sgpa 3.7 mcat 35 ps 11 vr 11 bs 13 R

Dream school here I come!!

Does anyone know if Stony Brook is rolling admissions???

Not sure about rolling, congrats though! When were you complete?

interview invite!! complete 8/31

Can anyone who's interviewed comment on how late the day goes? My interviews are at 10 and 1130 but I'm wondering when the lunch and tour ends? Thanks!

I just received an email from assistant dean of admissions asking:

Thank you for your interest in Stony Brook University's School of Medicine.
Please let me know what you extracurricular activities you will be involved with this academic year at (School)
Thank you.

Did anyone else get this?! I hope its not a sign of close to rejection

and also is there a status check page for this school?

Last edited:
For those that interviewed here already. When did they say is the earliest they will get back to us regarding acceptances?

For those that interviewed here already. When did they say is the earliest they will get back to us regarding acceptances?

I interviewed there October 1st. I remember one of women at the admissions office said technically it is October 15th but then she said something about some of them being away at a conference that week and they would probably start sending out acceptances a week later. Not sure though!

I interviewed there October 1st. I remember one of women at the admissions office said technically it is October 15th but then she said something about some of them being away at a conference that week and they would probably start sending out acceptances a week later. Not sure though!

I just got my acceptance earlier today (mailed out yesterday).

I just got my acceptance earlier today (mailed out yesterday).

Congratulations. That's a lot sooner than I anticipated. When did you interview?

Last edited:
hey guys, does anyone know Stony Brooks match results? Or where to find it?
thanks

Has anyone received an interview invite lately? If so, when were you complete?

Has anyone received an interview invite lately? If so, when were you complete?

Interview invite yesterday, 10/25/2010. Submitted secondary 9/11/2010.

oos

hey guys, does anyone know Stony Brooks match results? Or where to find it?
thanks

I google'd in an attempt to find these, but all I found was a synopsis of the match. Not helpful.

On an unrelated, yet related, note -- the first topic on the secondary prompt is frustratingly vague! Exactly what does "influence your medical practice" MEAN?? How do aspects of a field influence how you practice medicine? That makes no sense to me. Ah well, I will just write what I want to write and hope they like it.

Hey guys!

Those of you who have been accepted, can you post your stats please?

Thanks!!

Interviewing tomorrow morning, just got into the hotel right next to Stony Brook. I've never been in this area before! I'm sort of nervous since I'm not sure what to expect, this is only my second interview. Interviewing at Cornell on Tuesday so I'm staying the whole weekend.

Wish me luck guyss :xf:

Interviewing tomorrow morning, just got into the hotel right next to Stony Brook. I've never been in this area before! I'm sort of nervous since I'm not sure what to expect, this is only my second interview. Interviewing at Cornell on Tuesday so I'm staying the whole weekend.

Wish me luck guyss :xf:

Got my interview invite today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was complete 9/16!!!

gl supernerd pls let us know how it went - im sure ull do great - congrats on Cornell!!

for those who interviewed, is there a schedule of events somewhere on the website?

It should be in the body of the interview invite they sent you...or it may be they just tell you the day of.

UGH Just got the email that I've been waitlisted...

:confused::(:confused:

How! Why!

What does this mean? Does this mean thats pretty much it? FML

Also waitlisted, but I guess I shouldnt be surprised given that the interviewer basically just sat there and read the questions verbatim from her sheet. Lame interview=waitlist I suppose.

waitlisted! Ahh I don't get it. 3.9, 35 mcat, IS, and I thought my interviews were fine. Why must you do this stony? This just killed my confidence.

Last edited:
jeez - do u have advice for future interviewees?

jeez - do u have advice for future interviewees?

Hmm if I did, I would tell but I really can't figure it out. My interviews were pretty conversational and laid back. I've tried to replay the whole thing in my head to figure out where I could have gone wrong but nothing stands out. Oh well, maybe I just don't have what they're looking for. :( I wish you better luck! All I can say is to stay calm during the interview because everyone there was really nice and laidback, and maybe send a letter of update/intent after your interview and before you hear anything. :luck:

Hello all!

Interview on 11/5, the place was really nice I loved the medical center! It was massive. And so much going on! Really loved by the patients and people in the area.

Anywho, everyone there was really nice. All of the students really love it and the interviewers were very good. Some of the ethical type questions were a bit tough, but none were 'gotcha!'. Really affable kind people.

They said it could take 4-6 weeks before we here anything so now I wait... ugh!! waitlist guys don't get down, that means they like you enough not to lose you! keep your chin up.

lets hang in there :xf:

Status
Not open for further replies.