2010-2011 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone of you receive the orientation package today? I did, and I found out that the white coat ceremony is August 18! CAN"T WAIT!! And also they have a CIRCLE LINE CRUISE in the evening??? what is that!!??? sounds awesomely exciting.

Yay! Orientation rocks! Circle line is a cruise around NYC where everyone dances and has a generally great time! It's awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question about the Facebook page. How many people are in the facebook page?
Thanks.

shame i dont dance

Don't worry about it. My dancing kills puppies. They see me dancing and just drop. Why would there be puppies around? Who knows? Who cares? It's orientation!

Did anyone of you receive the orientation package today? I did, and I found out that the white coat ceremony is August 18! CAN"T WAIT!! And also they have a CIRCLE LINE CRUISE in the evening??? what is that!!??? sounds awesomely exciting.

I also got it yesterday.

I tried doing it for the 26th before and he told me only 19th is available. I said to sign me up for 19th but then no response. Ill cancel if I don't get one by Mon.

I take it no response?

I received the orientation package today too. So exciting!!! =D

Oh awesome! Guess mine will take some time to get to Cali! Woo, excited to check my mail in the coming days!

shame i dont dance

Haha, you and me both! My dancing will put our class to shame...dancing may cause my admissions decision to be revoked because they'll think I lack the physical coordination needed to be a doctor lol....which I do.

Last edited:
I received my orientation packet yesterday too! very exciting :) Also, I'll be living in building 825 room 407!

Oh awesome! Guess mine will take some time to get to Cali! Woo, excited to check my mail in the coming days!

Haha, you and me both! My dancing will put our class to shame...dancing may cause my admissions decision to be revoked because they'll think I lack the physical coordination needed to be a doctor lol....which I do.

Guys, we have about a month and a half before orientation, we should watch youtube self-help dancing lessons everyday!

Guys, we have about a month and a half before orientation, we should watch youtube self-help dancing lessons everyday!

Call me stubborn, but I refuse to dance lol...unless I've got enough alcohol in me, except when there's alcohol in me..all hell breaks loose (it just becomes one hell of a ****show, as my friends put it bc I have no tolerance for it). Y'all will soon find out! lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
i got to see this. hahahah

Lolol...well I'm sure over the course of the year, we'll have parties in which I will drink a bit...or "a lot", so I'm sure there'll be plenty of chances lol. It's embarrassing to mention how much liquor (or should I say how little) it takes!

Oh I actually did get a response. I'm booked for the 19th.

Nevermind! I emailed again and it turns out I just somehow didn't get the email from his blackberry. I'm also booked for the 19th. See you there! :)

I called in the student center today to reserve the circle line cruise, and they told me that I am allowed to bring ONE GUESS ONLY. SHOOT! that day both my mom and my girlfriend will be here, who should I bring to cruise man...
Did anyone of you reserve the circle line cruise yet?

I called in the student center today to reserve the circle line cruise, and they told me that I am allowed to bring ONE GUESS ONLY. SHOOT! that day both my mom and my girlfriend will be here, who should I bring to cruise man...

I'm personally not bringing anyone on the cruise...no S.O. to be found yet lol.

i'm gonna confirm soon, and will probably bring the SO.

Btw, is anyone here going to do the CPR class given by the DS alum on Friday June 24th?

....erm....dont bring your mom...it's def more of a thing to bring the gf to...get mom in for the white coat ceremony and then enjoy yourself at the cruise. I promise that parents would feel out of place on the cruise :)

Hi everyone,

I am a long time reader and first time poster on this blog and just writing to give hold/alternate listers some hope. I was moved from the "hold" list to the "alternate" list early last week, and got the call offering me a spot in the class this morning! Don't give up hope! The lists are moving!

Wooo! Just got the orientation package, although I don't think there is much that we need to do other than...."show up with our ID" on Monday, the 15th of April....lol

Hi everyone,

I am a long time reader and first time poster on this blog and just writing to give hold/alternate listers some hope. I was moved from the "hold" list to the "alternate" list early last week, and got the call offering me a spot in the class this morning! Don't give up hope! The lists are moving!

Congrats! Are you going to meet us in the Fall?

Anyone (Vulcan :)) happen to know what the furniture situation is like in the dorms, and does it include stuff like microwaves and toasters? Thanks.

Hi everyone,

Awesome! Will you be joining our class?

Wooo! Just got the orientation package, although I don't think there is much that we need to do other than...."show up with our ID" on Monday, the 15th of April....lol

lol @ April :)

I will be attending Downstate unless I get off the waitlist at NYU my first choice school (I am an NYU alum and work at NYU Med Ctr).

Nonetheless, I am extremely excited to be accepted at Downstate. I live on Long Island and if I didn't get in here I'd have to go to Buffalo (way too far away and cold!) So glad that I got the call!! :woot:

Anybody planning on applying to/have any opinions on the MD/MPH program? I find it very enticing as Downstate is one of the only schools that allows you to complete both in just 4 years. I think I may apply!

lol @ April :)

WHOOOPS...August! I swear I know the months that start with A!

On the topic of IDs though, did anyone notice we have to take our student ID photos on that day? Part of me wants to dress "nicely" and "professionally" for the photo--but the other part of me is like, I don't want to show up to orientation dressed in slacks and dress pants.

I will be attending Downstate unless I get off the waitlist at NYU my first choice school (I am an NYU alum and work at NYU Med Ctr).

Nonetheless, I am extremely excited to be accepted at Downstate. I live on Long Island and if I didn't get in here I'd have to go to Buffalo (way too far away and cold!) So glad that I got the call!! :woot:

Anybody planning on applying to/have any opinions on the MD/MPH program? I find it very enticing as Downstate is one of the only schools that allows you to complete both in just 4 years. I think I may apply!

Yay! Welcome! I would have considered the MD/MPH program, except I *think* they start summer before first year, which is now lol...*I THINK--nothing to confirm that personally*..shows you how much research I did into the program. ;)

2 Things:

1) MD/MPH program started already

2) NYU is not worth the extra 25k/year (this is coming from two NYU med students I know).

Hi everyone,

Welcome Welcome! Hope to see you in a few months!

Anyone (Vulcan :)) happen to know what the furniture situation is like in the dorms, and does it include stuff like microwaves and toasters? Thanks.

Depends on the room. Regular singles/doubles have the bed, dresser, desk.

Apartments have those plus the kitchen table, fridge, microwave, and oven.

Studios have all the stuff the apartments have.

WHOOOPS...August! I swear I know the months that start with A!

On the topic of IDs though, did anyone notice we have to take our student ID photos on that day? Part of me wants to dress "nicely" and "professionally" for the photo--but the other part of me is like, I don't want to show up to orientation dressed in slacks and dress pants.

Don't bother with the dress clothes...the ID photo only catches your head and neck. Also you'll be moving in and sweaty and such...I don't think anyone takes a good ID photo:p

Yay! Welcome! I would have considered the MD/MPH program, except I *think* they start summer before first year, which is now lol...*I THINK--nothing to confirm that personally*..shows you how much research I did into the program. ;)

Welcome Welcome! Hope to see you in a few months!

Thank you for the congratulations wishes Asyouwereatrio, silverwyvern4 and Vulcan, and thanks for the info I didn't realize that MPH classes had already started.

Depends on the room. Regular singles/doubles have the bed, dresser, desk.

Apartments have those plus the kitchen table, fridge, microwave, and oven.

Studios have all the stuff the apartments have.

Cool, so I should buy a toaster and a nice chair then for the studio. Thanks :)

How much is the cruise? Should i even bother going? Last time i went on a "cruise" from a school it was a old beaten up tiny boat hahha. I'm short and my head almost hit the ceiling.

Wait, there isn't an electric stove top in the studios? Well that sucks.

What? How do you cook with no stove O.O

a bunch of sticks and matches? Lol. Hmm, I'm trying to remember if my host had a stove...I think he did?

Anyway, if you don't, I THINK there are "communal stoves" in the kitchen on each floor--at least that's what I recall reading.

if you look through the vids of the rooms that are posted on the housing website, you'll see that the studios and the apartments have stove tops. i think they were all renovated a couple of years back or something.

Hi all,

I was looking at the requirements for laptop computers and was confused about the Mac requirements. I hope a Mac laptop is okay since mine is fairly new. If you are more computer savvy than I am, please let me know :)

Thanks!!

Hi all,

I was looking at the requirements for laptop computers and was confused about the Mac requirements. I hope a Mac laptop is okay since mine is fairly new. If you are more computer savvy than I am, please let me know :)

Thanks!!

If it's reasonably new, you'll be fine, the only tough part is partitioning the hard drive to install windows (and the $100 or so to buy the copy of windows), but I wouldn't even worry about that until you come upon an application that needs it, you can probably just pop into a best buy and have the geek squad do it for you if necessary

If it's reasonably new, you'll be fine, the only tough part is partitioning the hard drive to install windows (and the $100 or so to buy the copy of windows), but I wouldn't even worry about that until you come upon an application that needs it, you can probably just pop into a best buy and have the geek squad do it for you if necessary

geek squad will overcharge you like mad. I would help you out but I'm not familiar with mac os and don't want to mess up your computer.

geek squad will overcharge you like mad. I would help you out but I'm not familiar with mac os and don't want to mess up your computer.

It's fairly simple to install windows on a Mac that uses an intel processor since OS X comes with BootCamp installed. It's really a three step process that you can find a tutorial on apples website if you google bootcamp and windows. It really is not complicated at all. Save the money, avoid geeksquad.

Status
Not open for further replies.