2010-2011 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys - i was wondering if anyone has received or knows when DS will be sending out the health insurance waiver forms?

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys - i was wondering if anyone has received or knows when DS will be sending out the health insurance waiver forms?

It's gotta be soon...I'm waiting for it too and I start in July.

I received my orientation packet yesterday too! very exciting :) Also, I'll be living in building 825 room 407!

Haha. Your room is next to my old room.

yeah, bro. My K/D ratio suffers in COD if I'm in a crappy chair.

Good luck with that, chief. Currently, online gaming is actively blocked with an iron-clad firewall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Avoid Time Warner Cable if you can---had one hell of an experience with them! lol

Can anyone tell me whats at the DS gym, i hope not just treadmills..I did only remember seeing free weights but nothing else really. Or else I have to trek to a ballys. A sound body is a sound mind!

Members don't see this ad :)
can anyone tell me whats at the ds gym, i hope not just treadmills..i did only remember seeing free weights but nothing else really. Or else i have to trek to a ballys. A sound body is a sound mind!

qft

planet fitness sucks too. or maybe im just too used to my undergrad gym

Lol for ten bucks a month and since all I plan to use is the treadmills/bikes, I am not too picky..I'm also not a fitness guru..nothing close!

Lol for ten bucks a month and since all I plan to use is the treadmills/bikes, I am not too picky..I'm also not a fitness guru..nothing close!

I'd personally go to the DS gym. The convenience will compensate for the lack of a multitude of equipment... among other perks.

I'd personally go to the DS gym. The convenience will compensate for the lack of a multitude of equipment... among other perks.

But I'll be living off campus in Park Slope, so it's technically not convenient for me to go to DS' gym.

Hey guys, I want to play some good games and watch some good shows over the summer before school starts. Any good tv shows or must-play computer games you have in mind?

Hey guys, I want to play some good games and watch some good shows over the summer before school starts. Any good tv shows or must-play computer games you have in mind?
you should try infamous2 - its for ps3 tho. and game of thrones. loll, im in the same boat you are and those two have been keeping me busy this summer.

White Collar, and How I Met Your Mother.

how i met your mother is a must!! and if you like white collar, you should try Leverage too.

hey can someone tell me what i need to bring with me to Brooklyn to rent an apartment. ie. documentation, and anything else they leaser will ask for. I will be there from next Monday through Friday. Thx.

hey can someone tell me what i need to bring with me to Brooklyn to rent an apartment. ie. documentation, and anything else they leaser will ask for. I will be there from next Monday through Friday. Thx.

I would suggest asking any prospective leasing agents with whom you will be working for definitive answers. In general though, you are required to present the following:

2 years previous tax returns
2-3 months previous bank statements
2-3 months previous pay stubs
Some sort of proof of employment/income (I used my Downstate paperwork for that)
I don't know how valuable this paperwork was, since I had a guarantor and my roommate also had his set of paperwork too.

If you're a student without income, you'll likely need a guarantor of some sort...Good luck!

Last edited:
Well well I go away to study for a few days and ppl are abandoning the downstate gym!

It's not bad folks! And it's free!

Sidenote: I'M DONE WITH STEP 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEER TIME!:D

Anyone know when we can expect to have access to Prime and our Downstate email accounts?

Well well I go away to study for a few days and ppl are abandoning the downstate gym!

Congrats!!

Just a heads up: You will need a guarantor. In NYC, the general rule is you have to prove that you earn 40x rent (annual salary>40X one month rent). If not, you need a guarantor who can prove they make 80x rent.

Just a heads up: You will need a guarantor. In NYC, the general rule is you have to prove that you earn 40x rent (annual salary>40X one month rent). If not, you need a guarantor who can prove they make 80x rent.

Also, some buildings will take student loans as income, some will not (mine didn't)

Good to know. But regardless, your loans for living expenses won't come close to 40X rent, so kind of a non-issue.

But the 20k+ living expenses plus my partners income would have done at some places we looked, however her income alone did not

But the 20k+ living expenses plus my partners income would have done at some places we looked, however her income alone did not
I see. Good point. I was only considering one income (loans) in my previous post... lucky you have a sugar-partner!

Yep.

Definitely need a guarantor, I don't have a friend under 30 who didn't need one. Aside from that, drivers license, sometimes a passport, a few pay stubs to prove that you were once a somewhat trustworthy and stable human being, probably proof that you're in medical school, and probably some proof that the magical loan fairies are indeed filling your bank account with tens of thousands of dollars every year. Also a comically large Publishers-Clearing-House-style check to pay for broker fees and security deposits.

Good luck!

EDIT: Do whatever you can to avoid brokers. Meaning try your best to find an apartment directly from the owner. They're much more straight forward with you, they're selective about who they rent to so there usually aren't loud people or crazy people, and best of all you save a few thousand dollars in not paying broker fees.

Last edited:
Yep.

Definitely need a guarantor, I don't have a friend under 30 who didn't need one. Aside from that, drivers license, sometimes a passport, a few pay stubs to prove that you were once a somewhat trustworthy and stable human being, probably proof that you're in medical school, and probably some proof that the magical loan fairies are indeed filling your bank account with tens of thousands of dollars every year. Also a comically large Publishers-Clearing-House-style check to pay for broker fees and security deposits.

Good luck!

EDIT: Do whatever you can to avoid brokers. Meaning try your best to find an apartment directly from the owner. They're much more straight forward with you, they're selective about who they rent to so there usually aren't loud people or crazy people, and best of all you save a few thousand dollars in not paying broker fees.

Whenever I see your username, I can't help but think of song "New York, New York" they sang on Glee several weeks ago! lol

Congrats man :)

But I'll be living off campus in Park Slope, so it's technically not convenient for me to go to DS' gym.

The hell with planet fitness then. Go to Ballys. I go there right now and they have a biweekly plan of 15 bucks, but you pay for the first two weeks and last two weeks up front, plus 30 bucks in fees or w/e. Afterwards its 15 every two weeks, and you can go to any location. If you go to just one location, I believe its 11 bucks every two weeks.

The hell with planet fitness then. Go to Ballys. I go there right now and they have a biweekly plan of 15 bucks, but you pay for the first two weeks and last two weeks up front, plus 30 bucks in fees or w/e. Afterwards its 15 every two weeks, and you can go to any location. If you go to just one location, I believe its 11 bucks every two weeks.

Thanks for the tip! 22 bucks a month isn't too bad, but how can I say no to 10 bucks a month at PF? I'm pretty frugal, and I think PF is closer?

Thanks for the tip! 22 bucks a month isn't too bad, but how can I say no to 10 bucks a month at PF? I'm pretty frugal, and I think PF is closer?

I would scout both facilities--see which one fits your needs. Every location will have something different. If the Ballys is a reasonable distance from your place, then it's worth the extra green IMHO. If the PF has only the machines you need for your workout, then it may not be a bad idea, but it depends. Sometimes its nice that gyms have a good variety of machinery. If one set of machines targeting your day's muscle group is tied up, you can move onto another set of machines that are available that target that same group. That's time saved. If you don't have a good variety, and you go at a busy time, then you have to wait and rotate with others, and for busy med students such as ourselves, that's time wasted. I would think about these things when checking out the facilities.

I would scout both facilities--see which one fits your needs. Every location will have something different. If the Ballys is a reasonable distance from your place, then it's worth the extra green IMHO. If the PF has only the machines you need for your workout, then it may not be a bad idea, but it depends. Sometimes its nice that gyms have a good variety of machinery. If one set of machines targeting your day's muscle group is tied up, you can move onto another set of machines that are available that target that same group. That's time saved. If you don't have a good variety, and you go at a busy time, then you have to wait and rotate with others, and for busy med students such as ourselves, that's time wasted. I would think about these things when checking out the facilities.

Thanks for your tips! Time was definitely my concern, which was why I considered PF because it's closest, in downtown. Ballys is southwest of the school, which is out of the way IMO. I could work out AT school, but I just didn't want to lug a pair of gym shorts/shirt every day lol.

That being said, I only plan on doing cardio, so I HOPE there's not a shortage of machines..probably won't be in the afternoon after our classes get out. (HOPEFULLY)

Hey guys, I just got accepted from the hold list via phone call. I didn't send any updates but was asked for an update late last week (which I sent within an hour or two). I'll probably end up attending here. Just wanted to let others out there know that there is still some movement.

Oh, and my checklist hasn't changed yet.

Hey guys, I just got accepted from the hold list via phone call. I didn't send any updates but was asked for an update late last week (which I sent within an hour or two). I'll probably end up attending here. Just wanted to let others out there know that there is still some movement.

Congrats! :)

Ahhh, the elusive wanderer will be attending our wonderful institution.

Congratulations!

Hi - I'm reading that the on campus housing rooms don't have air conditioning..and that you are not allowed to install one! Isn't the warm weather going to be a problem??

Hrm, usually it starts getting cooler in late september, so you would have maybe 1.5 months of warm weather to go through. And then warmer weather starts up in March/April. Other than that, you can make your primary care physician write up a letter saying you need one for a medical condition. You'd have to buy a air conditioner and pay for installment, which sucks. I wish the dorms had central air...

yeah that's pretty dirty. I'm definitely not living in the dorms beyond first year.

So yea the dorms don't have AC. I will tell you I am someone who generally keeps his room like an icebox, so this bothered me alot at first. After the first week though, it gets alot better. If you get an air conditioner installed, keep in mind you wont be able to open your window. I figured fresh air was more important.

I wouldn't really consider the air in NYC to be fresh haha. anyway, i've lived in NYC for years with no AC (finally got it 2 yrs ago). You'll get used to it! =)

I wouldn't really consider the air in NYC to be fresh haha. anyway, i've lived in NYC for years with no AC (finally got it 2 yrs ago). You'll get used to it! =)

Hey, there's nothing wrong with getting your daily minerals through inhalation....::shifty look::

Status
Not open for further replies.