2010-2011 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will do... Thanks! I'll give it another shot tomorrow & ask the office about it again on Monday if I still can't get in. Strange, maybe it's because I got accepted in late April? I'll post about this again...

You're welcome. One determining factor will be when the office received all of your paperwork--if it's been a few weeks, then it's probably a good time to call them and tell them you can't access the Perkins stuff. That's what I had to do, after a few weeks of non-access. Feel free to post any questions you have...that's what we're here for! :)

See you in about two months! :)

Members don't see this ad.

1) Nope, not here. I handed in the rest of my FA forms a couple of weeks ago and was told that info comes out in July when the NYS budget is finalized, which is why I wasn't even able to access the site for Perkins loans and won't be able until then.
2) I am. See you on Monday???

I actually have received a revision on my award letter. It is probably because I got everything sent out in March. I definitely will see you Monday. I am a little excited. Hm, I wonder how big our class will be this summer?

I actually have received a revision on my award letter. It is probably because I got everything sent out in March. I definitely will see you Monday. I am a little excited. Hm, I wonder how big our class will be this summer?

there are roughly 180 students in our class.

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry, but what exactly is operation success??

It's an optional 6 week pre-matriculation summer program. Although DS doesn't say for who it is exactly, other schools that do something like it say it's for those who somehow got in with not so stellar grades or those who have been out of school for a while, which is why I guess not everyone hears about it. I would fall in the latter category, not having taken a class of any sort in 4 years. I signed up so I hopefully won't have as much trouble going into "school mode" than someone who just wrapped up their semester a few weeks ago.

nice!! i submitted my stuff in April so I probably dont qualify =(

I am a Downstate COM Alumn & an official AHA Certified BLS Instructor

I will be holding a BLS certification/recertification course on 6/19 at Downstate in the 5th floor carrels (carrel 5C). Cost $50 per person (Cheapest around).

The class has limited space & will be filled on a first-come first-served basis.

To sign up email: [email protected]

our website: https://sites.google.com/site/learncprnow

Regards,

Justin Hakimian, MD
PGY-2, Internal Medicine
Hofstra North Shore - LIJ School of Medicine Program

Did anyone try and sign up for this? I emailed and got no response...

Did anyone try and sign up for this? I emailed and got no response...

I tried doing it for the 26th before and he told me only 19th is available. I said to sign me up for 19th but then no response. Ill cancel if I don't get one by Mon.

Just dropped by the school today. The classic dorm rooms are very roomy and nice by my standards! Convenient computer lab and a couple lounges. Very small kitchens. Communal showers. Around 12 rooms on each floor it seems?

Hey guys,

Is anybody else going considering dorming? I was looking at the prices and the price for a single studio is really expensive, and I don't think sharing a single room with another person would be a good idea for me personally. Also, a single apartment doesn't have its own kitchen which would be a problem for me as well. I heard a lot of students live out in Park Slope (which also is really expensive generally). I'm kind of confused about what my best move would be. Anybody in the same situation as me/ have some insight?

Well I think it boils down to convenience vs. luxury. Dorming is good because school is across the street and you'll be prone to studying more (at least I would be). Also, you have a gym in the student center, which could be convenient, but I heard it isn't so great. Con is that you are in a not-so-great neighborhood, and there is not much to do around the school unless you go either towards the city or towards Coney Island.

Off-campus, you'll probably have more luxury such as better location, more shops/restaurants nearby, and more of a city/night life. Con of off-campus is mainly the commute to school (isn't too bad, there is a shuttle that takes you to train stations @ night).

I am leaning towards the dorms as I have gotten a studio single, but it is expensive. I commuted one hour to and from school in another major city - I found it wasn't too bad after getting use to it. But, I feel medical school is a different beast and I would need those extra hours for studying/working out. So I think I will sacrifice my 1st year by living in the dorms and probably move out 2nd year with the people I get to know from school.

However, if anyone is searching for an apartment in the park slope/brookyln heights/midwood area - send me a msg. I would room if its the right place/price. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Is anybody else going considering dorming? I was looking at the prices and the price for a single studio is really expensive, and I don't think sharing a single room with another person would be a good idea for me personally. Also, a single apartment doesn't have its own kitchen which would be a problem for me as well. I heard a lot of students live out in Park Slope (which also is really expensive generally). I'm kind of confused about what my best move would be. Anybody in the same situation as me/ have some insight?

I agree with xadorus. First year is worth the premium for the studio single, and then you can move into a 3 bedroom with a couple classmates second year and save some dough. Just remember, you have to be near the 2 or 5 train and factor in a monthly metro card into your expenses every month (104/month). I was seriously considering living off campus, but I'm sure I'll be staying late doing dissections or whatnot and don't want to have to worry about it.

Hey guys,

why dont u get those bedroom apartments in the dorms? it has two bedrooms so u get ur own but ur sharing the apt with another roommate so its much cheaper than a single studio. plus u also have a bathroom and kitchen to share with ur roommate.

Hey Vulcan, how important is battery life for laptops? They recommend 4-5 hrs w/ 3 hr spare battery... Just wondering if they are just saying that or if its actually important.

Hey Vulcan, how important is battery life for laptops? They recommend 4-5 hrs w/ 3 hr spare battery... Just wondering if they are just saying that or if its actually important.

o_O 4-5 hours??? My piece of crap laptop only lasts like 2 max and its fine.

For first year you rly only need your comp for histo lab and maybe CBL if you guys like to go paperless. CBL is 1-2 hours and histo is 2-3 hours...and there are outlets in the carrels to plug into.....

I have no idea why they would recommend that.

We only have 37 members in the student run facebook group!

Haha, well I think we just added that amount alone to the group, so there's like 60 members or something! Yay!

Hey guys,

I'm OOS, but do want to give you some input in regards to off-campus living. In Park slope, which is where I'll be living, a studio will run you ABOUT 1500 at minimum (then factor in at least 104/month for an unlimited ride monthly metro card). If you can get a two bedroom apartment and share with someone else, your costs will probably go down to about 1300-1400 per month (or less), depending on how picky you are about your apartment size/amenities. Obviously, the more you pay per month, the bigger/more feature packed the unit will be.

When all is said and done, you'll probably have about $18,000 in rent costs per year (12 months at $1500). You can use that figure to weigh the price differences and pros/cons of living on and off campus.

o_O 4-5 hours??? My piece of crap laptop only lasts like 2 max and its fine.

For first year you rly only need your comp for histo lab and maybe CBL if you guys like to go paperless. CBL is 1-2 hours and histo is 2-3 hours...and there are outlets in the carrels to plug into.....

I have no idea why they would recommend that.

Haha, my laptop is about 3 years old and its battery only gives me 45 minutes on a full charge. Based on what you said, I think I should be okay...I won't be using it during CBL (unless I can plug in), and I assume Histo Lab is in the carrels, so I assume I'll have a place to plug in at each station? Thanks Vulcan for all of your advice!

Haha, my laptop is about 3 years old and its battery only gives me 45 minutes on a full charge. Based on what you said, I think I should be okay...I won't be using it during CBL (unless I can plug in), and I assume Histo Lab is in the carrels, so I assume I'll have a place to plug in at each station? Thanks Vulcan for all of your advice!

You can plug in for CBL. And we don't do stations for histo...you just plug the laptop in and pull up slides from a virtual slide box one after the other.

And I'm in the fb group now!:D

Just dropped by the school today. The classic dorm rooms are very roomy and nice by my standards! Convenient computer lab and a couple lounges. Very small kitchens. Communal showers. Around 12 rooms on each floor it seems?

Can you just drop by the school and have them show you around? I just got off the alternate list and was planning on visiting the school, but I know Downstate has really tight security and stuff... I thought maybe I have to make some arrangement through the admissions office or something...

why dont u get those bedroom apartments in the dorms? it has two bedrooms so u get ur own but ur sharing the apt with another roommate so its much cheaper than a single studio. plus u also have a bathroom and kitchen to share with ur roommate.

not available for 1st years.

You can plug in for CBL. And we don't do stations for histo...you just plug the laptop in and pull up slides from a virtual slide box one after the other.

And I'm in the fb group now!:D

Thanks! The trick is now to decipher who you are :p

Really? Says its not available to 1st years on the website.

On my interview day one of the tour guides said to ignore the website and just pick what you want as your first choice, you'd probably get it. Also, when I went to Shadow-A-Student day I got to see one of suites (2 bedrooms, shared kitchen, bathroom) and there was a MS1 living there.

On my interview day one of the tour guides said to ignore the website and just pick what you want as your first choice, you'd probably get it. Also, when I went to Shadow-A-Student day I got to see one of suites (2 bedrooms, shared kitchen, bathroom) and there was a MS1 living there.

That's pretty cool! I do prefer my privacy and don't want to gamble on a roomie, but that's not bad at all.

In one of the letters I received after my interview, it said "please refrain from calling the admissions office regarding your status." I'm assuming I should respect that even if I'm on the alternate list?

Hey, what kind of stethoscope should we buy for first year? I was going to get a cardio III but then again, we don't do much with clinicals first year?

Hey, I just got my financial aid package in the mail, it only included about $4.4k in grad plus loans, and didn't meet my need by about $14k

I'm going to go ahead and go into lots of detail here, I'm OOS, total cost is $72.6k, and my expected contribution is $8.2k (my entire life savings, something I'm not really comfortable with as I'd like to have a safety net in case something happens, but I suppose I should use that first before taking loans), that brings my total need to $63.4k, but I was only offered $48.9k in loans, all inclusive, hence the worrying disparity.

I was under the impression that the grad plus loans were pretty much supposed to fill the difference between the Stafford loans and your need without limit, or is downstate limiting me for some reason?

Last edited:
Hey, what kind of stethoscope should we buy for first year? I was going to get a cardio III but then again, we don't do much with clinicals first year?

I'm going to be using a Littmann Master Classic II single lumen stethoscope--I was told by other doctors that the sthethoscope one uses during med school isn't THAT big of a deal, as long as it's not a nurse-quality one...lol.

Hey, I just got my financial aid package in the mail, it only included about $4.4k in grad plus loans, and didn't meet my need by about $14k

I'm going to go ahead and go into lots of detail here, I'm OOS, total cost is $72.6k, and my expected contribution is $8.2k (my entire life savings, something I'm not really comfortable with as I'd like to have a safety net in case something happens, but I suppose I should use that first before taking loans), that brings my total need to $63.4k, but I was only offered $48.9k in loans, all inclusive, hence the worrying disparity.

I was under the impression that the grad plus loans were pretty much supposed to fill the difference between the Stafford loans and your need without limit, or is downstate limiting me for some reason?

I had a similar situation as you; you can just put in the "max amount of grad plus loans" you'll need and they will give you the grad plus amount you requested (Need/Budget-Perkins/Med Sub/Unsub/etc). Call the Fin Aid office and ask a counselor for some guidance if you feel you need it! :)

Last edited:
I'm going to be using a Littmann Master Classic II single lumen stethoscope--I was told by other doctors that the sthethoscope one uses during med school isn't THAT big of a deal, as long as it's not a nurse-quality one...lol.

I had a similar situation as you; you can just put in the "max amount of grad plus loans" you'll need and they will give you the grad plus amount you requested (Need/Budget-Perkins/Med Sub/Unsub/etc). Call the Fin Aid office and ask a counselor for some guidance if you feel you need it! :)

Good to hear, had me worried for a bit, just reread some earlier posts and saw you answered it a while back as well, thanks for the info.

Also, I was down in NY this past weekend, and signed a lease on an apartment, going to be living on the border of Boerum hill and Downtown Brooklyn near to the Hoyt St 2/3 stop, should be a nice easy commute. It's all starting to get very exciting :).

Good to hear, had me worried for a bit, just reread some earlier posts and saw you answered it a while back as well, thanks for the info.

Also, I was down in NY this past weekend, and signed a lease on an apartment, going to be living on the border of Boerum hill and Downtown Brooklyn near to the Hoyt St 2/3 stop, should be a nice easy commute. It's all starting to get very exciting :).

Congrats! We will be up near Grand Army Plaza, so we're bound to run into each other in the mornings! When are you moving in? I'm planting my feet in NYC on the first of July!

Congrats! We will be up near Grand Army Plaza, so we're bound to run into each other in the mornings! When are you moving in? I'm planting my feet in NYC on the first of July!

Signed a July 15th lease (really really really cross fingers it'll be ok for in state residency next year), but not actually moving in til first week in August. Finishing up work in Boston (been a research tech for the past 2 years) next week and having a month or so off to go home to CA and relax.

welch allyn harvey elite. got a used one on ebay for like 90 bucks. make sure to get yours engraved and i think it will last a lifetime.

Signed a July 15th lease (really really really cross fingers it'll be ok for in state residency next year), but not actually moving in til first week in August. Finishing up work in Boston (been a research tech for the past 2 years) next week and having a month or so off to go home to CA and relax.

I think so, because the paperwork is due by the end of July the following year! Good to know I won't be the only Californian in our class! :) See you in August!

@futuredoc528, how much is the rent for you and what type of apt is it?

The scary way of putting it: it's a 1br for $2,500/ mo

The not so scary but still outrageously expensive compared to everywhere else in the us: it's a no-fee apt that we got 1 months free rent incentive on for signing a 1 year lease, and I'm sharing it with my girlfriend, so it's $1,150 a month each

i.e. it's slightly cheaper than the studios in the dorms for a real bedroom and a decent sized kitchen

The scary way of putting it: it's a 1br for $2,500/ mo

The not so scary but still outrageously expensive compared to everywhere else in the us: it's a no-fee apt that we got 1 months free rent incentive on for signing a 1 year lease, and I'm sharing it with my girlfriend, so it's $1,150 a month each

i.e. it's slightly cheaper than the studios in the dorms for a real bedroom and a decent sized kitchen

Haha, we're paying a few hundred more than that for a 2 bedroom, so your 1 bedroom must be a very nice apartment! :)

With the risk of sounding like a total newb, is BLS certification the same thing as CPR certification?

Did anyone of you receive the orientation package today? I did, and I found out that the white coat ceremony is August 18! CAN"T WAIT!! And also they have a CIRCLE LINE CRUISE in the evening??? what is that!!??? sounds awesomely exciting.

@futuredoc, is that near the harbor then? around Brooklyn Heights? I can't imagine anywhere else that'll be around that price. I'm actually flying into NYC this wkend and doing some apt hunting... should be fun!

@crazyboy, I haven't received anything yet... it might take a few more days to get to Cali though.

No, you have to take BLS course.

Although it says in the paperwork, it's probably worth repeating, make sure you take the BLS for Healthcare Providers and that it's from the American Heart Association.

No, you have to take BLS course.

Thanks! I can't seem to find a course center or a website that tells you where the nearest center is..... Do you know if it's ok if we take an online course?

I received the orientation package today too. So exciting!!! =D

Status
Not open for further replies.