2010-2011 Tulane Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just withdrew my acceptance at Tulane. Hope one of you SDNers still waiting gets it! Best wishes!

+1...Good luck everyone! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

just withdrew my acceptance here. Good luck to all of you!

Has anyone on the waitlist sent a letter expressing interest or an update letter (recent grades, accomplishments, etc.)?

If so, who/where did you send it to? Is it more appropriate to email or snail mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
Send it to the main admission office address (hard copy), or you can send it via email I'm sure (just call the office and ask who to send it to).

Sorry if this is a dumb question...but who do you email to withdraw off the waitlist?

Has anyone on the waitlist sent a letter expressing interest or an update letter (recent grades, accomplishments, etc.)?

If so, who/where did you send it to? Is it more appropriate to email or snail mail?

just called the admissions office this morning, the lady i talked to said that update letters are useless at this point and won't be looked at if you send them now

just called the admissions office this morning, the lady i talked to said that update letters are useless at this point and won't be looked at if you send them now

LOL at having only one post. I hope nobody falls for your sabotage.

which email address should i send to withdraw acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, that's right. It took a couple of days for me to get a confirmation reply.

oh, i suck.. that withdrawing email has been sitting in my draft folder for 3 weeks without being sent..

withdrew. best of luck

Withdrawing my acceptance as well...would have loved to go here but couldn't justify costs vs my state school.

Out of curiosity, did anyone receive any kind of scholarship offer to counter the cost of attendance?

Withdrawing my acceptance as well...would have loved to go here but couldn't justify costs vs my state school.

Out of curiosity, did anyone receive any kind of scholarship offer to counter the cost of attendance?

They do give quite a few merit and need-based scholarships.

I know people who turned-down Tulane for their state school because of cost, but I also know people who chose Tulane over their states schools because for them, being happy was more important than the cost; everyone has to decide what's best for themselves. Good luck :luck:

Does anyone think the Acceptance Range List will start moving this week? It looks like last year it started around May 22...

I was picked off the acceptance range a few months ago, it's moving slowly but surely.

me too, been waiting for may 15th for quite a while now. it's down to a few schools for me, all "acceptance range," sooo hopefully this doesn't take until the wk before school starts like i was told it could by admissions

Random question, but does anyone mind revealing if he/she has been accepted with a sub-30 MCAT? Also, if you don't mind revealing your GPA with that...

Random question, but does anyone mind revealing if he/she has been accepted with a sub-30 MCAT? Also, if you don't mind revealing your GPA with that...

My brother is at Tulane Med, right now. He had a 28 MCAT and a 3.8 gpa.

So when do you guys think the committee will meet again? I'm assuming since the list "isn't ranked" they have to meet once a week or so to pick who they're sending acceptances out to. Does this seem correct?

Also, I've heard people have been contacted by email and by phone off the waitlist. Has anyone heard differently?

Does anyone generally know if Tulane gets a good amount of waitlist movement a year? I'm trying to figure out how restrained to keep my hopes of getting in

So when do you guys think the committee will meet again? I'm assuming since the list "isn't ranked" they have to meet once a week or so to pick who they're sending acceptances out to. Does this seem correct?

Also, I've heard people have been contacted by email and by phone off the waitlist. Has anyone heard differently?

I hadn't thought into that too much, but yeah that would make sense. has there been any movement lately (not on studentdoc) that anyone has heard of? with all the withdraws going on just on this thread alone, i'd think there has to be some acceptance range movement this yr. i called the other day and susanna vargas said there's like ~100 kids on the acceptance range, so i guess now it's all up to the luck of the draw. and no, haven't heard of anyone being contacted any other way.

I called the other day too, and the class is still "over full", so I don't think people are being accepted off the acceptance range list at this time. She also said lots of people are waiting to hear from their state schools (I don't know if she meant LSU or anywhere in particular?) and end up withdrawing for financial reasons.

It looks like in past years most of the movement started later in May. I have no clue how many people they end up accepting off the acceptance range. Hopefully lots!

I called the other day too, and the class is still "over full", so I don't think people are being accepted off the acceptance range list at this time. She also said lots of people are waiting to hear from their state schools (I don't know if she meant LSU or anywhere in particular?) and end up withdrawing for financial reasons.

It looks like in past years most of the movement started later in May. I have no clue how many people they end up accepting off the acceptance range. Hopefully lots!

Reading this made my heart sink a little bit. I was hoping for a good amount of waitlist movement to have a chance, so I'm sad to see they are still over full

Through the grapevine, my understanding is that there may be no waitlist movement this year, and if there is, it's going to be very minor

I heard from someone in admissions that the number of deposits was at 200 right now and movement would not occur until at least June 1st. I'm sure there will be people taken from the waitlist, it just sounds like maybe not as much as they are accustomed to.

I'm not sure how full the class usually is the week after May 15. It seem like in the past couple of years most people have been accepted off the WL in late may or June even, so hopefully this year isn't too different... Maybe it will just take a little longer. What is the target class size for this year?

I'm sure people will withdraw (hopefully lots!), but I also heard nothing will happen until June.

Just withdrew. Tulane is amazing and wonderful :love:, but I just got into my very discounted state school. :luck:

has anyone spoken to dr. beckman? was she able to give any info ab the waitlist etc.?

mmk, just got in contact with her via email. doesn't look good fellow acceptance rangers.....they've got 200 paid deposits at this point, so, phooey

mmk, just got in contact with her via email. doesn't look good fellow acceptance rangers.....they've got 200 paid deposits at this point, so, phooey

This is heartbreaking news. I know that the incoming class is 187, so that means about 15 people would have to be offered and accept spots from the waitlist at other schools before we have a chance. Question is, what are the odds/what does history of this school say the chances of that is?

This is heartbreaking news. I know that the incoming class is 187, so that means about 15 people would have to be offered and accept spots from the waitlist at other schools before we have a chance. Question is, what are the odds/what does history of this school say the chances of that is?

i'm holding onto tulane waiting to hear from bu, fingers crossed people pull out of there :)

I'm wondering why would there be such a big spike this year? Historically, about 30-40 applicants got off the wait-list at Tulane each year. I don't understand why this year would be different. Even if this year's deposit is only $100, it should not make that much of a difference...

Last edited:
hi all! congrats to everyone who got in and hang in there wait listers!

i'm going to be applying to tulane (or hope to be) for fall2012 in this next cycle..however i'm a grad student. i know the LOR requirements are different for a grad student (they like require a letter from the grad program director)..which for me is impossible (but i do have two grad professor letters).

are there any grad student applicants that could help me out? did you just use a grad faculty letter?? thanks!

hi all! congrats to everyone who got in and hang in there wait listers!

i'm going to be applying to tulane (or hope to be) for fall2012 in this next cycle..however i'm a grad student. i know the LOR requirements are different for a grad student (they like require a letter from the grad program director)..which for me is impossible (but i do have two grad professor letters).

are there any grad student applicants that could help me out? did you just use a grad faculty letter?? thanks!

I had my thesis adviser write me one, as well as another professor that taught me in grad school. It was fine.

But make sure you check with them to see if your letters are acceptable. They most likely will be, but send a quick email as a courtesy.

so, nothing, eh? how'r all the waitlisters holding up

It's agonizing. Looking at other waitlist threads, it doesn't seem there's been any movement from other schools either

It's agonizing. Looking at other waitlist threads, it doesn't seem there's been any movement from other schools either

Agreed, very painful. I wonder what it means that all schools seem to be having slow movement, does that mean that every school is having lower waitlist movement, or just that all schools will be having movement later than usual? Either way, praying for a seat to open up here.

So I just got in here off the waiting list after stalking this thread like a bamf. Hold out hope. Dean Beckman said that there is movement, and that it is this way every year. Good luck to everyone!

So I just got in here off the waiting list after stalking this thread like a bamf. Hold out hope. Dean Beckman said that there is movement, and that it is this way every year. Good luck to everyone!

Congratulations! And thank you for posting an update. I was starting to think I'm crazy for hoping.

That's amazing news!Congrats!! I've been worried that there wouldn't be any movement off the waitlist this year. When did you talk to Dr. Beckman? When I called last week, the class was still full. Did they let you know by phone or email?

Status
Not open for further replies.