2010-2011 Tulane Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know around when the last interview requests are sent out?

Members don't see this ad.

This is a little outdated, but I received an interview invite on Feb 1, for Feb 25th interview, which is the 2nd to last day they interview, from my understanding.

Just clarifying, you were accepted off of the so-called 'Acceptance Range' list? Are they starting to look at us again? I was told by Dr. Beckman to get in touch again around March 1. I don't want to bug them too much before then since they actually gave me a date...

I have already sent in an update/interest letter after I was waitlisted 2-3 weeks ago. When Dr. Beckman told you to get in touch around March 1st, was that to express continued interest or to find out where you are on the waitlist (because I don't think Tulane ranks their waitlist) Any advice would be greatly appreciated because I LOVED Tulane and would consider myself unbelievably lucky to be accepted off the Acceptance Range

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 99% sure they don't actually reject anyone after an interview, so if you call them you'll find you are probably on the acceptance range, if not accepted. Best of luck...sometimes they forget to send out emails since they are so busy

You were right...I received my acceptance range email this afternoon. There's still a glimmer of hope. Hopefully it's a fast moving list :)

You were right...I received my acceptance range email this afternoon. There's still a glimmer of hope. Hopefully it's a fast moving list :)

Hmmmm I haven't gotten anything since interviewing on 1/31. I've accepted that it's going to be acceptance range or rejection, but it would be nice to know for sure. I wonder how long I should wait before I call.

Hmmmm I haven't gotten anything since interviewing on 1/31. I've accepted that it's going to be acceptance range or rejection, but it would be nice to know for sure. I wonder how long I should wait before I call.

I interviewed on 11/1, waited three weeks to find out I was on the acceptance range, and was accepted on 1/14....so, it seems like they have their methods, and they aren't consistent. Just stay positive! GOOD LUCK!:xf:

Got an acceptance email yesterday just before 5PM. Huge weight off my shoulders. I interviewed on 2/4. Pumped.

I have already sent in an update/interest letter after I was waitlisted 2-3 weeks ago. When Dr. Beckman told you to get in touch around March 1st, was that to express continued interest or to find out where you are on the waitlist (because I don't think Tulane ranks their waitlist) Any advice would be greatly appreciated because I LOVED Tulane and would consider myself unbelievably lucky to be accepted off the Acceptance Range

To be honest, I don't know for sure what I will get from them on March 1st. This was in response to an e-mail where I sent in a continued update and then reiterated my interest (I have already sent a letter of intent). I was kind of assuming that it is probably just checking in about the overall status of the admissions process, since they will have completed their interviews the previous day.

To be honest, I don't know for sure what I will get from them on March 1st. This was in response to an e-mail where I sent in a continued update and then reiterated my interest (I have already sent a letter of intent). I was kind of assuming that it is probably just checking in about the overall status of the admissions process, since they will have completed their interviews the previous day.

Good to know, thank you. I guess it couldn't hurt to call in to express interest/find out the status of the wait-list. I'm praying for some good news from Tulane!

. I glanced at the facebook group yesterday to get an idea of how much is filled and I saw like 60 members in the class. Then I looked this morning and it is now close to 110! Was there some major movement in decisions in the last day or something that led to this?

A first year emailed all of the accepted students yesterday telling us to join the facebook group so that is why there has been a lot of people joining recently.

I interviewed 1/14, then didn't hear a peep until I got accepted. I called on a Friday to see what was up, and then Monday I had the accepted email in my inbox. No accetance range or anything. So it seems like anything is possible. If you are really nervous or haven't heard a word it can't hurt to call and check in. Let's them know you are actively interested too!

Good luck everyone!:luck:

I mean, it makes sense accepted students are picking Tulane since New Orleans is amazing and an unbelievable city, but hopefully I'm looking too much into this and those of us who are persistent still have a shot :thumbup:

well...considering your post was #666 of this thread, maybe not you.

jk jk jk

Tulane doesn't interview as many people as some other schools, thus, in the end a greater percentage gets accepted. Chin up physics dude. It will be ok.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed 1/14, then didn't hear a peep until I got accepted. I called on a Friday to see what was up, and then Monday I had the accepted email in my inbox. No accetance range or anything. So it seems like anything is possible. If you are really nervous or haven't heard a word it can't hurt to call and check in. Let's them know you are actively interested too!

Thanks. I just hit the 4-week mark with no word. I called last week and they said my file hadn't gone to committee yet. Strange, but hopefully I'll hear back this week.

Does anyone know when the committee will be meeting? It kind of seems like they'll be reviewing all the Feb. interviewees at once.

Does anyone know when the committee will be meeting? It kind of seems like they'll be reviewing all the Feb. interviewees at once.

it was my understanding they meet on thursdays but I could be wrong. Now that they are presumably done w/ interviews, maybe they will review most days of the week for remaining apps, and then start on the waitlist

has anyone heard anything about scholarships yet or know when we could start to hear? i submitted my FAFSA and financial aid addendum and tax returns last week and just emailed them to make sure my file is complete.

accepted via snail mail, background check email followed, interviewed early feb

accepted via snail mail, background check email followed, interviewed early feb

Congrats! I heard the class is now full, so you must've just slipped in. The Facebook page is already up to like 150 or something.

So I'm getting nervous, i interviewed in december and was thrown in the acceptance range. Who do I communicate with at Tulane to let them know that of my strong interest?

Congrats! I heard the class is now full, so you must've just slipped in. The Facebook page is already up to like 150 or something.

I'm sure it's full in that at least as many acceptances as spots available have been given out. But I imagine one can't know until may 15 when people commit 100%. Plus even if they are full there still could be (very minimal) waitlist movement, if students from tulane get in off other waitlists and take that.

Just curious...how did you hear its full? Based on the facebook group?

I'm sure it's full in that at least as many acceptances as spots available have been given out. But I imagine one can't know until may 15 when people commit 100%. Plus even if they are full there still could be (very minimal) waitlist movement, if students from tulane get in off other waitlists and take that.

Just curious...how did you hear its full? Based on the facebook group?

Anecdotally it was based on how full the Facebook group already is, but actually I've heard from three friends who are in grad programs at the school right now. They said Kahn or someone mentioned that the class is already full and that it filled unusually quickly this year. Who knows though.

Anecdotally it was based on how full the Facebook group already is, but actually I've heard from three friends who are in grad programs at the school right now. They said Kahn or someone mentioned that the class is already full and that it filled unusually quickly this year. Who knows though.

What do you mean by "full"? That they have given out as many acceptances as spots in the class? I only ask because schools generally over accept by 2x-3x their expected class size. Is this the mark they have reached when you say the class is "full" (i.e., they will no longer be offering any more acceptances until people begin to withdraw)?

Just wonderin'...

has anyone heard anything about scholarships yet or know when we could start to hear? i submitted my FAFSA and financial aid addendum and tax returns last week and just emailed them to make sure my file is complete.

The MD/MPH paperwork isn't even due until March 15th. I'd be surprised if we heard any financial aid info before April. In last year's thread most people who heard about scholarships did so when they were accepted. Some did receive a $10,000/yr merit scholarship when they received their financial aid info.

To the guy at the Feb. 25 interview from Madison, with whom I discussed the WI union-stripping budget madness: Way to call in 2 weeks in advance. If you are on SDN, please PM me so we can policy wonk together.

(This is relevant because it was at the Tulane interview!!)

So I'm getting nervous, i interviewed in december and was thrown in the acceptance range. Who do I communicate with at Tulane to let them know that of my strong interest?

I sent an email to Dr. Beckman a few weeks ago. She was polite but pretty much said to wait until May 15 to get in touch again.

I applied to the MD/PhD program here and interviewed back in November. I thought it was rolling but have not heard a thing since. I called at the end of January and was told I would hear the following week.... Then I called at the end of February and was told I would hear very soon.... and still nothing. Anyone else apply to the program who has a decision?

I don't think the facebook group is a great gauge of how full the class is/if the school is done giving out acceptances. If you look at the facebook group for the class of 2014, it has 262 members. Tulane's class size is about 175 if I remember correctly. When I interviewed in February, Dr. Beckman told all of us that SDN people always get this wrong, and that this year they've been accepting people at the same rate they always do. She also said the class wasn't full yet, and that they usually end up enrolling close to the top third of the people in the acceptance range anyway due to accepted applicants choosing other schools or whatever. That WAS nearly a month ago, but I don't think there's a need to be so discouraging just yet.

Still haven't heard from the md/phd either. I kept calling as well :)

Still haven't heard from the md/phd either. I kept calling as well :)

Ditto MD/PhD. Starting to get anxious. I called and was told that the director was supposed to have sent out letters almost 2 weeks ago but I haven't received anything. Called again and she seemed unsure about the letter thing-- very confusing?

Accepted today via e-mail. Very very excited. Too excited to think of anything else to say.

Congratulations Monsie! I'm glad you finally got the good news. I'm still waiting... getting less and less optimistic.

Accepted today via e-mail. Very very excited. Too excited to think of anything else to say.

Could you clarify what date you interviewed? Thanks. I interviewed on the 25th, and still haven't heard anything...

He or she interviewed the 31st of January. It's posted earlier in the thread. I interviewed the 18th of Feb.

ACCEPTED. Just now via email. I don't think I've been this excited.

got the email this afternoon as well; interviewed 2/28.

I was accepted too yesterday! (Interviewed 2/25)

I am so thrilled!

Accepted. Interviewed 2/25, just found out today.

Obviously ecstatic, but most of all right now, just relieved. I'd been driving myself crazy for the past week reviewing this site, checking my email.

Please, if you haven't heard yet, be patient. Keep the faith, and I hope it works out for everyone still waiting.

All best,

Theo14

Congrats to all the recently accepted!

Last edited:
Hey, just wondering again if anyone has heard from the md/phd program. Thanks, and congratulations to all the acceptees :D

Hey everyone. Congrats on the acceptances and for those waiting, hang in there!

We've started a twitter account where you can follow the latest happenings at TUSOM, the greater Tulane community, and New Orleans. Follow us: http://twitter.com/#!/tulanemed

I withdrew my spot on the waitlist yesterday. Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear back, you have one less person to compete against! :D

I withdrew my spot on the waitlist yesterday. Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear back, you have one less person to compete against! :D

That makes you my new friend of the day! :laugh:

Are there any opportunities for merit scholarships? Does Tulane participate in any kind of recruitment scholarship? The tuition is the only thing keeping me from attending, does anyone have any ideas for how I could get help with funding?

Just withdrew my acceptance at Tulane. Hope one of you SDNers still waiting gets it! Best wishes!

I really hope things start moving soon.... I SO want to be at Tulane next year :xf:

Status
Not open for further replies.