2010-2011 Wayne State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG, guju, you have no idea who I am because we aren't really in the same threads, but I have been secretly rooting for you this whole time! You are an awesome SDNer and this post made me so happy! CONGRATULATIONS!

Thanks buddy. :)

Members don't see this ad.

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Just got the call few min. ago. :)

There is a god, be his name Christ, Krishna, or Allah or be his name Buddha or Yaweh or anything else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG you did it!!!! Congrats from a fellow low GPAer/reapplicant. :thumbup::thumbup::banana:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats guju!!!!! Finally after 3 cycles right? You're the nicest on these forums so I'm glad! Hopefully Wayne can accept me too. I'm still sitting on their waitlist!

There is a god, be his name Christ, Krishna, or Allah or be his name Buddha or Yaweh or anything else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes there is A GOD

Congratulations anyone who has worked as hard as you deserves an acceptance. :thumbup:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

CONGRATS! You deserve it!!!

Congratulations!!!! I've been following your posts for many years. Welcome to Wayne!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

aww yay!!!! congrats!! You are now required to pray for some more IS spots :D lol

Congrats guju!! You definetely deserve it after how long of a road you've taken

Congratulations Guju! I read your news and I was so happy for you. Your postings have been such a source of encouragement and information this past year and I am glad to hear of your wonderful news!

Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats! I told you you would get in! Looking forward to meeting you in August! Brace yourself for winter . . .

Congrats guju!!!!! Finally after 3 cycles right? You're the nicest on these forums so I'm glad! Hopefully Wayne can accept me too. I'm still sitting on their waitlist!

well 2 cycles cuz I applied 2 years ago and this year but not last year. I chose not to apply til after the 1 year of classes at BU for optimal results. :)

Thanks and THANK YOU to ALL OF YOU on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I look fwd to meeting those of you who will be my classmates. If this thread and the fb group is anything to go by it seems like we will have an awesome class. :)

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ CONGRATULATIONS @@@@@@@@@@@@@

You completely deserve this and I'm really happy for you!! Great job! Go celebrate and rock it out!

Congrats gujudoc! I haven't posted before, but I've been reading the forum as a fellow waitlister. You've been so helpful over this crazy process. Congrats again!! Now for some in-state movement :)

well 2 cycles cuz I applied 2 years ago and this year but not last year. I chose not to apply til after the 1 year of classes at BU for optimal results. :)

Thanks and THANK YOU to ALL OF YOU on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I look fwd to meeting those of you who will be my classmates. If this thread and the fb group is anything to go by it seems like we will have an awesome class. :)

Not going to Wayne but I wanted to say I've been rooting for you hard this cycle (originally saw your posts on the BU forums). Congratulations gDoc! The dream came true...now it's time to work hard :).

Long waits like you've experienced are torturous. Best of luck with everything and once again, congratulations!!

Not going to Wayne but I wanted to say I've been rooting for you hard this cycle (originally saw your posts on the BU forums). Congratulations gDoc! The dream came true...now it's time to work hard :).

Long waits like you've experienced are torturous. Best of luck with everything and once again, congratulations!!

You going to BU??? If so congrats. I left my heart in boston. will def. be making a trip there some how some way next year some time.

haha :)

Does anyone have any idea what the class size cap is for this year? Seems like it's almost full :(

Do we know how full it is now?

I dont want to give anyone wrong information but Im assuming the class has been full since May 15, and now people are dropping their spots and getting off the waitlist until orientation.

I dont want to give anyone wrong information but Im assuming the class has been full since May 15, and now people are dropping their spots and getting off the waitlist until orientation.

I would second this and add that most schools are probably filled at this point (and possibly overfilled). Movement is the most important thing for waitlisters (and I would expect that to decrease as time goes on).

I cant help but wonder if its all over for us in-staters on the wait list

have been following this thread all year, my son was just accepted 5 days ago so there is still hope out there....he was/is instate, pretty high gpa, good mcats, mission experience....would not give up yet, lots of summer acceptances we have heard of from the past few years! Good luck

I am instate as well and on the waitlist, but don't give up hope. I have had doctors tell me they that they got accepted off the waitlist 2 weeks before classes started.

I am instate as well and on the waitlist, but don't give up hope. I have had doctors tell me they that they got accepted off the waitlist 2 weeks before classes started.

Read previous years' threads. It can and does happen.

I would start reapplying now just to be safe and prepared. Also, when I called a few weeks ago, the secretary I spoke to told me they were probably going to make most cuts from the WL around the beginning of July.

Yeah Ive already sent my letters of recommendation and transcript to AMCAS so I can reapply right away after...I also scheduled an MCAT for the end of july lol

Thanks for the nice words, mom of premed and Leoj! :)

sparkle, I think we'll be taking the same mcat. It's hard to focus on studying and reapplying when my brain keeps wandering off on "what if" tangents :p

hahah ohhh believe me I know, my concentration is especially horrible when thursday rolls around :bang:

Lol. There's no need for assumptions. I was told by people at the admissions office in mid-May that "the class is full." All acceptances since then have been due to people withdrawing.

The wait list is still moving for IS students. I got accepted the day that comment was posted. I'd been on the wait list since Oct, so don't give up hope yet.

The wait list is still moving for IS students. I got accepted the day that comment was posted. I'd been on the wait list since Oct, so don't give up hope yet.

That's inspiring! Fellow IS waitlister here :xf:

I would start reapplying now just to be safe and prepared. Also, when I called a few weeks ago, the secretary I spoke to told me they were probably going to make most cuts from the WL around the beginning of July.

I didn't know they made cuts from the waitlist! I guess it is better than leaving us hanging for the rest of the summer! But also, my friend's dad got in the DAY BEFORE class started his year. Never know...fellow in stater trying to keep my hopes up!

I didn't know they made cuts from the waitlist! I guess it is better than leaving us hanging for the rest of the summer! But also, my friend's dad got in the DAY BEFORE class started his year. Never know...fellow in stater trying to keep my hopes up!

Yeah it surprised me too when she said this. They might keep some people for those who decide to withdraw last minute though. I'm an IS applicant too but it's getting harder and harder to be optimistic as time goes on and no change :(

Keep your hopes up everyone!!! I've heard many stories of people being accepted the day before school starts too. Albeit, stressful I'm sure... but hey, le medschool is LE MEDSCHOOL no matter when you get in.

Former IS lurker here. I was reminded of that fact when MSUCHM made a bunch of waitlist cuts last week and sent me an accidental rejection (realized the mistake 2 hours later and e-mailed me and others).

I think making wl cuts is a great thing because then the applicant knows where he/she stands and can take the necessary steps on what to do next. But the whole "we may accept you a day before classes start" process is just absurd... The 2 cycle overlap system screws a lot of future re-applicants via false hope and needs to change. If the med schools made tuition (or a big part of it) due by May 16th for individuals holding places there it would solve much of the problem, IMO.

/end mini rant

If the med schools made tuition (or a big part of it) due by May 16th for individuals holding places there it would solve much of the problem, IMO.

/end mini rant

Who do you know that could make a significant tuition payment by May 16, which for most schools is a good 2.5 months before any financial aid is disbursed. I couldn't, and I work full time.

I am by no means defending the system which doesn't tell some students anything until admitting them until a day before classes, but devil's advocate: how do you maximize enrollment when some drop their spots so close to the start of classes? Remember, for every spot that goes unfilled is also unpaid tuition for the school.

It's a crappy system, yes, but I can't think of a system to replace it that gives everyone everything that they want.

Who do you know that could make a significant tuition payment by May 16, which for most schools is a good 2.5 months before any financial aid is disbursed. I couldn't, and I work full time.

I am by no means defending the system which doesn't tell some students anything until admitting them until a day before classes, but devil's advocate: how do you maximize enrollment when some drop their spots so close to the start of classes? Remember, for every spot that goes unfilled is also unpaid tuition for the school.

It's a crappy system, yes, but I can't think of a system to replace it that gives everyone everything that they want.
Though I did not explicitly mention it, it is only logical that if a big chunk of tuition were to be required at the time, financial aid would have to become available at the same time as well. All I'm saying is that it would force a lot of those individuals who are likely to drop right before classes start (or when tuition is due) or drop in general at an earlier date. Yes, it could be problematic for med schools in that it could result in unfilled spots, but I think the problem would be minimized with the $ commitment. That could be solved by a smaller, more realistic waitlist where applicants are informed of their chances.

Here's another crazy idea: Since most (all?) med schools have started classes by August, why not open AMCAS submissions in August?

Though I did not explicitly mention it, it is only logical that if a big chunk of tuition were to be required at the time, financial aid would have to become available at the same time as well. All I'm saying is that it would force a lot of those individuals who are likely to drop right before classes start (or when tuition is due) or drop in general at an earlier date. Yes, it could be problematic for med schools in that it could result in unfilled spots, but I think the problem would be minimized with the $ commitment. That could be solved by a smaller, more realistic waitlist where applicants are informed of their chances.

Here's another crazy idea: Since most (all?) med schools have started classes by August, why not open AMCAS submissions in August?

Honestly, it seems like it takes them the entire year (over an entire year: June-August) to review all the applicants and fill their class. And why wouldn't it take that long? With primary and secondary applications from 4000+ applicants, interviews, visit days, etc, it seems like it's a crazy process for them as much as it is for us. As a current waitlister, I would prefer that they take their time and open the application earlier if it means that my application will get a fair and thorough review. That's not to say that the whole waitlist thing isn't driving me crazy! But, I understand that adcoms have a lot on their plates too.

One thing I do agree with you on is that we should know where we stand on the waitlist. There's no need to drag out this painful blind hope if you're the last person on the list and have practically no shot of getting in.

I get what your saying and I understand COMPLETELY your frustration, but there's a reason med schools don't disburse financial aid until just before classes start. It's very rare, if at all, for you to pay for a good or service that you can't use for at least two months. From a consumer's standpoint, that seems like a real raw deal. I'm sure med schools would love it if their classes became full and remained full just after May 16. Things change for lots of people and this method, imperfect as it is, ensures that the maximum number of people matriculate.

As for AMCAS not being open until August, there's really no point. There's no requirement for you to submit in June, and since most schools don't start offering interviews until well after current class has matriculated, delaying until August doesn't help anyone. They keep submission open until sometime in November (I think), so as long as you've submitted before the fall you're fine. It really doesn't matter when they open; some people would like time to work on their applications before submitting and before classes (for undergrad or grad) start in the fall.

One thing I do agree with you on is that we should know where we stand on the waitlist. There's no need to drag out this painful blind hope if you're the last person on the list and have practically no shot of getting in.

I definitely do agree with you two on this one. Being on a waitlist is torture enough, but not knowing where you stand, at least even remotely, is a little unfair.

Status
Not open for further replies.