2010-2011 Wayne State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Accepted this morning! Received an email asking me to call Dawn. OOS :D

Members don't see this ad.

Thx man! That's the feedback I received too!
for med.wayne.edu email addresses, if you don't have one already (from another med grad program or job) I think we have to wait until orientation. they are supposed to teach us about the patient privacy and all that and how to keep the med.wayne system confidential and things of that nature. I might be wrong, but I know someone who is going to be an M4 and said that's how they did it for that year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted this morning! Received an email asking me to call Dawn. OOS :D

Congrats I remember you from the GW thread as well. Glad to hear it worked out for one of us. :)

Like Spanxz, it's been a long haul for me but I just got the email this morning. 3 years of MCATs, labs, classes and apps...It hasn't totally hit me yet...I'm still in the being glad it's over phase.

It may be a bit hackneyed at this point (believe me, I've been there), but hang in there and be persistent. I've been not sure it would ever happen for years but it finally did.

Like Spanxz, it's been a long haul for me but I just got the email this morning. 3 years of MCATs, labs, classes and apps...It hasn't totally hit me yet...I'm still in the being glad it's over phase.

It may be a bit hackneyed at this point (believe me, I've been there), but hang in there and be persistent. I've been not sure it would ever happen for years but it finally did.

Congratulations!!

See? I told you guys not to give up hope! Gujudoc, I have a feeling your call is coming soon . . .

Congrats everyone

Last edited:
See? I told you guys not to give up hope! Gujudoc, I have a feeling your call is coming soon . . .

Eh i don't know. We will see.

As per cd4plus, well them getting in was a far more of a no brainer. I mean cd4plus really deserved it from their profile. if someone like that can't get in then I don't know how other people can!!!!

cd4plus,

CONGRATS!!! Like I just said in the paragraph above, if you couldn't have gotten in I don't know what hope there is for the rest of us more average people. GOOD LUCK at wayne and congrats.

Man16,
Once again, congrats man. Must feel good after all the anxiety these past several weeks in this thread and the GW thread to have a seat somewhere. :)

I really hope there's still room for the rest of us! and I wonder if they make calls on fridays lol

I really hope there's still room for the rest of us! and I wonder if they make calls on fridays lol

well I think its still early June so anything can happen. Maybe by late july it will slow down for sure. Guess time will tell.

well I think its still early June so anything can happen. Maybe by late july it will slow down for sure. Guess time will tell.

Not going to lie, I have nothing better to do on this Thursday night. And I'm creeping threads...

I really hope you get some good news soon, if not tomorrow, on Monday or Tuesday. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Eh i don't know. We will see.

As per cd4plus, well them getting in was a far more of a no brainer. I mean cd4plus really deserved it from their profile. if someone like that can't get in then I don't know how other people can!!!!

cd4plus,

CONGRATS!!! Like I just said in the paragraph above, if you couldn't have gotten in I don't know what hope there is for the rest of us more average people. GOOD LUCK at wayne and congrats.

Man16,
Once again, congrats man. Must feel good after all the anxiety these past several weeks in this thread and the GW thread to have a seat somewhere. :)

Guju, don't forget those are my highlights. There are flaws in my record as well. We all have them. Good luck to you, don't give up. People get in with all kinds of personal, academic, and professional records.

for med.wayne.edu email addresses, if you don't have one already (from another med grad program or job) I think we have to wait until orientation. they are supposed to teach us about the patient privacy and all that and how to keep the med.wayne system confidential and things of that nature. I might be wrong, but I know someone who is going to be an M4 and said that's how they did it for that year.

I got my med.wayne.edu email during orientation week. I went to Wayne for undergrad so I kept my other email account.

Guju, don't forget those are my highlights. There are flaws in my record as well. We all have them. Good luck to you, don't give up. People get in with all kinds of personal, academic, and professional records.

Thanks for the kind words, but I'm still rather pessimistic.

has the waitlist been moving?

Last edited:
Hang in there gujuDoc. I'm a waitlister myself and it's my second year on the WSU waitlist. What's worse, I'm in-state. It feels like at this stage, OOS students get called up more than IS students since the IS kids are pretty much all settled at either Michigan, Michigan State, and Oakland now. I can't imagine too many IS University of Michigan Med school students leaving their spots (can't beat the IS tuition and prestige there), and IS students at MSU and WSU are probably not going to leave their spots unless they get accepted at a much better school (since they'll probably end up paying heaps more at an OOS school, unless accepted at UofM).

On the other hand, OOS students probably would opt out of WSU if they get a better offer. By no means is WSU a bad school, it's just the location that would probably bother me about WSU if I were an OOS student who had multiple acceptances. But this is all speculation of course.

Also, compared to last year, the waitlist movement for this year seems slow. Or possibly less SDN'ers and more lurkers who don't care to share (e.g. yours truly).

Hey everyone! Haven't posted since before the year ended and wanted to welcome all the matriculants and wishing the best of luck to the waitlisters (don't give up and reapplying isn't the end of the world... if you want it, you'll get it). I have more good news, there's going to be a little less getting Wayned for all the new students (and I guess for our class too)... 2010-2011 was the last year the school will be ranking students! That is wonderful news for most and hopefully will encourage the kind of professional behavior that should be seen among med students. I have been complaining about it since first learning of the grading system during orientation week and I can't help but feel my anonymous bitching paid off for our class and future alumni! We are all in this together and if you are good enough to earn an MD granted by WSU then that is all that should matter because this material will be used on standardized tests to seperate yourself from all other students matching. So if you want to show off do it on Step 1, do it on Step 2 and do it in your clinical years (where the tests are standardized again).

:D

2010-2011 was the last year the school will be ranking students! That is wonderful news for most and hopefully will encourage the kind of professional behavior that should be seen among med students.

SWEET! That was my major fear of WSU, the ranking system, which seemed really unfair and would keep all students anxious and on the edge the whole time. Thanks for this news! Is there an article on the med school site that outlines this change?

Hey everyone! Haven't posted since before the year ended and wanted to welcome all the matriculants and wishing the best of luck to the waitlisters (don't give up and reapplying isn't the end of the world... if you want it, you'll get it). I have more good news, there's going to be a little less getting Wayned for all the new students (and I guess for our class too)... 2010-2011 was the last year the school will be ranking students! That is wonderful news for most and hopefully will encourage the kind of professional behavior that should be seen among med students. I have been complaining about it since first learning of the grading system during orientation week and I can't help but feel my anonymous bitching paid off for our class and future alumni! We are all in this together and if you are good enough to earn an MD granted by WSU then that is all that should matter because this material will be used on standardized tests to seperate yourself from all other students matching. So if you want to show off do it on Step 1, do it on Step 2 and do it in your clinical years (where the tests are standardized again).

Are you talking about the Z score, or is there another way that Wayne ranks people? I can see how this will please a lot of people. But...I dont know, I was kind of looking forward to being able to see where I stood among my classmates. I just don't want to be blind with regards to my progress.

Hang in there gujuDoc. I'm a waitlister myself and it's my second year on the WSU waitlist. What's worse, I'm in-state. It feels like at this stage, OOS students get called up more than IS students since the IS kids are pretty much all settled at either Michigan, Michigan State, and Oakland now. I can't imagine too many IS University of Michigan Med school students leaving their spots (can't beat the IS tuition and prestige there), and IS students at MSU and WSU are probably not going to leave their spots unless they get accepted at a much better school (since they'll probably end up paying heaps more at an OOS school, unless accepted at UofM).

On the other hand, OOS students probably would opt out of WSU if they get a better offer. By no means is WSU a bad school, it's just the location that would probably bother me about WSU if I were an OOS student who had multiple acceptances. But this is all speculation of course.

Also, compared to last year, the waitlist movement for this year seems slow. Or possibly less SDN'ers and more lurkers who don't care to share (e.g. yours truly).

Tuition is probably the #1 reason the OOS waitlist moves so fast. It's almost triple most in-state annual tuition costs.

Are you talking about the Z score, or is there another way that Wayne ranks people? I can see how this will please a lot of people. But...I dont know, I was kind of looking forward to being able to see where I stood among my classmates. I just don't want to be blind with regards to my progress.

True, but med students are by nature competitive, and it's a self-selecting population. It's better to have people working together to get a better education rather than worrying about whether they are doing better than their classmates. It seems it's the approach most schools are leaning towards these days.

True, but med students are by nature competitive, and it's a self-selecting population. It's better to have people working together to get a better education rather than worrying about whether they are doing better than their classmates. It seems it's the approach most schools are leaning towards these days.

I agree. For some reason I didn't really see it as competition because it doesn't really affect your marks. I just saw it as another way that you're able to evaluate your progress, or lack of. Wherever you are on the scale, it may even help you evaluate which areas you need to improve, etc. But, I definitely see how it has the potential to create excessive competition focused simply on doing better than your peers (which I guess is what happened at Wayne).

For those wondering why it's a good thing that they are getting rid of ranking (tho they will still note if you did well in your letter to residency programs) it is because it can do little good and a lot of damage.

Imagine 3 scenarios:
1. You do very well, honor your first 2 years, and do well on step 1 (which is supposed to test your understanding of the basic sciences). Great, it shows you worked hard, learned what you needed AND can apply it well. Your class rank will do little to help you because your step 1 tells them all they need to know about your understanding of the material.

Now imagine 2. where you do very well in your classes but then did bad or mediocre on step 1. That will just show that you know how to memorize and regurgitate verbatim minutia on your tests. Facts that trust me you will NOT remember but you really do not understand it well enough to apply and answer conceptual questions. Basically it shows you were a book worm set on cramming and forgetting everything.

Now 3. you do very well on the board but were middle of the road in your class. Great, you studied what you needed to pass but more importantly, you understood the concepts. Sure you could have done better if you went over your notes 5 more times, but so what? Nobody expects you to remember tiny details out of your notes.

With more and more schools dropping ranking and going pass/fail, it really has become irrelevant to say "oh this guy is in the top quartile from Wayne State but this guy isn't ranked from X SOM because they don't rank.

Last edited:
For those wondering why it's a good thing that they are getting rid of ranking (tho they will still note if you did well in your letter to residency programs) it is because it can do little good and a lot of damage.

Imagine 3 scenarios:
1. You do very well, honor your first 2 years, and do well on step 1 (which is supposed to test your understanding of the basic sciences). Great, it shows you worked hard, learned what you needed AND can apply it well. Your class rank will do little to help you because your step 1 tells them all they need to know about your understanding of the material.

Now imagine 2. where you do very well in your classes but then did bad or mediocre on step 1. That will just show that you know how to memorize and regurgitate verbatim minutia on your tests. Facts that trust me you will NOT remember but you really do not understand it well enough to apply and answer conceptual questions. Basically it shows you were a book worm set on cramming and forgetting everything.

Now 3. you do very well on the board but were middle of the road in your class. Great, you studied what you needed to pass but more importantly, you understood the concepts. Sure you could have done better if you went over your notes 5 more times, but so what? Nobody expects you to remember tiny details out of your notes.

With more and more schools dropping ranking and going pass/fail, it really has become irrelevant to say "oh this guy is in the top quartile from Wayne State but this guy isn't ranked from X SOM because they don't rank.

If they really did remove ranking, I'd ultimately be glad (do you have any more proof of that, or can anyone corroborate this?).

But I do have a question: based on your experience or anecdotal evidence, is there any correlation between consistently ranking high and doing well on boards? Perhaps the ranking system, at the very least, might have been a good indicator of how you'd do. If not, all the more reason I'm glad it's been removed!

Good, now they should consider getting rid of the ranking on the waitlist too.

Couldn't agree more! And if they're going to rank people, at least be nice enough to reveal their spots on the list so they can be better prepared for their future.

Good, now they should consider getting rid of the ranking on the waitlist too.

Well I don't blame them for ranking the waitlist. How else would they know who to pull off next? However, I do agree that they should reveal your rank. I'm currently still on the waitlist as well. :thumbdown: BOO!

Well I don't blame them for ranking the waitlist. How else would they know who to pull off next? However, I do agree that they should reveal your rank. I'm currently still on the waitlist as well. :thumbdown: BOO!

Agreed. the problem is not ranking but lack of info about where u are on the rank. I don't get why schools aren't just a tad bit more open with candidates.

I agree, I'm trying to plan next year as though I'm not getting in...but it makes it difficult when you still have blind hope. Also, I would feel guilty making commitments for next year (I teach so I schedule work hours by the semester) then backing out last minute if I got in.

Does anybody have information on the deferral process? I've heard of students getting accepted in August...which seems like it would be extremely hectic and at that point I'd rather just defer for a year, take a break and make a little extra money, and organize for next year.

I think that's great that they are dropping the ranking system.

Does this mean that classes are going to be straight pass/fail or will it still be honors/pass/fail? Will the Z score still exist? Are there any other sources of information on this out there? Thanks!

Out of curiosity for those of you who were accepted off the waitlist, was it a phone call or email notification???

I'm just wondering where I should be expecting notification should action be taken on my file.

Thanks

Out of curiosity for those of you who were accepted off the waitlist, was it a phone call or email notification???

I'm just wondering where I should be expecting notification should action be taken on my file.

Thanks

It was a phone call. After the phone conversation, they send you an email copy as well as a hard copy (through standard mail) of acceptance materials.

Thanks

I received an email:

Please give me a call at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

Dawn

something like that

Thanks

Phone call

Ok thank you everyone!!!!!! That was very much helpful. Just wanted to make sure I shouldn't have to worry about expecting an email and that it would most likely be phone call.

Ok thank you everyone!!!!!! That was very much helpful. Just wanted to make sure I shouldn't have to worry about expecting an email and that it would most likely be phone call.

When I called to ask about WL movement, they told me that at this point offers are usually made towards the end of the week (thurs and fri) as they wait for spots to accumulate, in case you were interested!

When I called to ask about WL movement, they told me that at this point offers are usually made towards the end of the week (thurs and fri) as they wait for spots to accumulate, in case you were interested!

haha i was thinking about that! i noticed a lot of people posted they got in on thursdays

Mine was also an email like man916, it was super early in the morning for me...but I'm in a different time zone.

When did people get their password to log in and start working on our admittance activities?

Thanks

For those waitlisters that were accepted, have you heard from financial aid? How long did it take to get your financial aid package?

Thanks buddy!!!

Man if everyone is as nice as the people on this thread then I imagine Wayne is going to have a rocking class in fall. :)

I never got my fin aid either

Last edited:
ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Just got the call few min. ago. :)

There is a god, be his name Christ, Krishna, or Allah or be his name Buddha or Yaweh or anything else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Just got the call few min. ago. :)

There is a god, be his name Christ, Krishna, or Allah or be his name Buddha or Yaweh or anything else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG, guju, you have no idea who I am because we aren't really in the same threads, but I have been secretly rooting for you this whole time! You are an awesome SDNer and this post made me so happy! CONGRATULATIONS!

Status
Not open for further replies.