2010 Non-Trad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ugh. My EDP secondary has not arrived yet. Supposedly they send it to all in-state applicants. The wait is killing me!

Members don't see this ad.

Just submitted today and waiting on verification. I wish I were as on the ball as the rest of you!

AMCAS verified on 7/8, working on secondaries and waiting on LORs

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, anyone do TMDSAS? If so, can you tell me what your status is at the bottom of the login page? Is it "Submitted to TMDSAS", or something else? This application is killing me. So unclear and vague. It makes me love AMCAS, which is crazy!

Thanks in advance.

I got my secondary today, about a week or two since being verified (EDP applicant).

For those that have submitted EDP, how long did it take AMCAS to verify your application? Do they accelerate the process for EDP applicants?

They must be accelerating it for EDP. I was verified - literally - overnight. Submitted at 4:00 PM on a Sunday and verified at 8:30 AM on Monday.

They must be accelerating it for EDP. I was verified - literally - overnight. Submitted at 4:00 PM on a Sunday and verified at 8:30 AM on Monday.

I agree, mine was verified in two days or so. Also, do you guys know if schools send out secondaries to everyone? I am just trying to figure out what exactly it means to get a secondary.

Thanks for the response on the EDP verification. That makes me feel better about my timing. :D

I need to get my MCAT score so I can quit stressing over it and my application. Oh well....just seven more days to wait. :cool:

submitted acomas for ccom on july 10th.
requesting trasncripts for acomas/aamcas come monday

working on aamcas this weekend...finishing entering coursework.

Hi just wondering if anyone can give me some advice

I am a non-trad applicant (I had a hospital-related career then decided to go back to school for medicine) wondering if anyone know 'safety' schools i should apply to this year

Undergrad: 3.0 Bio & Chem
Graduate: 3.9 Master in Health Science
MCAT: sadly only 22
I have 4 published research and over 600h clinical voluteering

I applied to DO, MD, and MD Caribbean this year. Caribbean already accepted me. DO, of course, i won't know until way later. But i'm hesitant on applying more to MD. I completed my app's in June for only 4 schools.

I'm from California. I really appreciate any suggestion!!

I am a non-trad applicant (I had a hospital-related career then decided to go back to school for medicine) wondering if anyone know 'safety' schools i should apply to this year

I applied to DO, MD, and MD Caribbean this year. Caribbean already accepted me. DO, of course, i won't know until way later. But i'm hesitant on applying more to MD. I completed my app's in June for only 4 schools.

If you're really intent on going to medical school this year than go to the Carribean. Make sure you read the Carribbean threads on SDN carefully so you're not blindsided by the downsides of that path.

Otherwise I'd pretty much kiss any chances of a DO or MD school in the continental US (or Hawaii) goodbye. I can't a imagine a circumstance where someone with both a low GPA and an extremely low MCAT would get in. Unfortunately the best advice for you would be to bag your apps this cycle and save your money. Go to the Carribbean if you're ready for the negatives. Otherwise you're realistically looking at a 2-4 year GPA repair project to get you a fighting chance at MD/DO schools that aren't Carribbean. You may consider Puerto Rico, possibly - I don't really know much about it.

Other than retaking the MCAT and getting a 35+, I'm not sure there's much hope for this cycle.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

nontradfogie, Thanks for the suggestion. appreciate it.

Anyone here knows when DO schools will send out their secondaries?

I completed secondaries for about 10 of MDs school (one is UCalifornia). I applied later for more than 4 actually. I heard UCs screen their secondaries and some other schools too. Anyone knows about this???? and which schools screen 2nd???

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I made my goal on the MCAT (32M), and I'll be submitting EDP before the end of the week. Wish me luck guys.

I hope everyone's cycle goes well. Top choices for everyone!

Alright, anyone do TMDSAS? If so, can you tell me what your status is at the bottom of the login page? Is it "Submitted to TMDSAS", or something else? This application is killing me. So unclear and vague. It makes me love AMCAS, which is crazy!

Thanks in advance.

Mine is now "transmitted to school", next to each school I selected. So, you're not complete yet. I believe they update on Fridays, but I'm not 100%.

Since this is a progress thread, I am:
Awaiting Wake Forest secondary (screened in)
Mayo--fee paid, no LOR request or rejection yet :xf:
Baylor--file has been reviewed...waiting
UTSW, TTUHSC(both), UTSA, UTMB, UTH--complete...waiting

canjosh - when did you submit your TMDSAS? I submitted mine on 6/24 and still haven't been verified.

canjosh - when did you submit your TMDSAS? I submitted mine on 6/24 and still haven't been verified.

6/18. Check cleared on 6/24 (checked my bank statement, just for you:laugh:)

I think I was transmitted to the schools on 7/9, and received my first interview invites today 7/23--Lubbock and El Paso. Lubbock is moving quickly--I submitted the secondary on 7/20 late at night, so they only had it in hand for two days prior to the interview invite.

I saw somewhere on TMDSAS's website that they do their housekeeping stuff every Friday, so maybe your status will change tomorrow. Good luck!!

Congrats to canjosh and 2010houston on the early interview invites! :thumbup::thumbup:

Looks like one of you guys gets the honor of starting the 2009-2010 Non-trad interview invite thread.

Is it just me. Or does saying the same thing over and over and over....in secondaries....

Kind of make you have doubts about reality itself. Mush less the reality of you trying to convince someone you've never met that your special.

I submitted EDP to the University of Mississippi this afternoon. My application and transcripts are being verified, and I'm hoping they "accelerate" the process since I'm EDP.

I'm only waiting on one more letter. Man it feels great to have the application submitted. I've been over that application too many times. I think I was suffering from analysis paralysis.

Hopefully, I'll be getting a secondary soon, and, if all goes well, an interview in August or September.

Last edited:
Congrats to canjosh and 2010houston on the early interview invites! :thumbup::thumbup:

Looks like one of you guys gets the honor of starting the 2009-2010 Non-trad interview invite thread.

Thank you nontradfogie! I'll go start that thread now! Hope it is several pages long soon...:thumbup:

Hey everyone, I'm new to the threads, but wanted to put my 2 cents in. This is my second application year, got waitlisted at San Antonio for 2009 (and we can say thats over) and rejected from TCOM (my only two interviews).

Already have an interview at Texas Tech for August 7th and UTMB on August 14th. Not sure why the second time around got me more attention. Not familiar with all the stuff on the boards, but willing to offer any info I can.

I have been accepted to several Caribbean schools but deferred until Jan to go through TMDSAS and AMCAS again before going that route. More than willing to answer any questions about that route as well.

Good luck everyone, reading you guys posts make me feel unqualified, you guys have amazing apps!!

I am excited to join the non trad. am applying this year for the first time I finished 6 secondaries. and i am waiting for my last three to come in. I am checking emails everyday. Besides my two year-old this site is my only support. Good luck to us all.

Please think hard before you go to a caribbean school you want to eventually practice medicine here. I can honestly say I never met anyone who does not get into caribbean schools, as long as they prove they can pay for it. Have you thought about retaking the mcat?

Please think hard before you go to a caribbean school you want to eventually practice medicine here. I can honestly say I never met anyone who does not get into caribbean schools, as long as they prove they can pay for it. Have you thought about retaking the mcat?

I just wanted to say this statement doesn't really give an accurate portrayal of the situation. I've seen people with a 30 MCAT get turned away from Caribbean schools. That being said I think you should think hard about it before going. There are some very important negatives, but dont forget there are some great positives as well, namely being an MD practicing in any state in the US.

I've been accepted to all the top Caribbean schools and chose to defer to go through the process here again. Depending on your specialty it can be tough to get the residency you want, however you are sort of in control of most of that with how hard you work. I would use it certainly as a last resort, but it is a very viable option. My mentor is the head trauma surgeon at one of the largest hospital systems in my area and is a FMG not to mention all the chief residents throughout the US. One of the residents that interviewed me is a neurosurgery resident at UT Southwestern in Dallas. So dont write off the Caribbean schools, but do think hard before going that route. Be prepared for the negatives, the cost, and the hard hard work.

That being said, retake MCAT and get in stateside and there's nothing to worry about. :)

Just my 2 cents.

My EDP application to the University of Mississippi is complete, and I received an interview invitation today via email. I am scheduled to interview at 8:30 on 9/8/09.

Needless to say, I'm pumped.

My EDP application to the University of Mississippi is complete, and I received an interview invitation today via email. I am scheduled to interview at 8:30 on 9/8/09.

Needless to say, I'm pumped.

Excellent! Good luck!:cool:

Hey guys,

So Im a non-trad student (I guess) from Canada and I just submitted my AMCAS primary last week...Just getting started on secondaries but I am really unsure as to if I'm competitive or not? Any ideas?

3.35 overall undergrad GPA (about 3.6 in last 2 years) in Biopharmaceutical Sciences at Univ. of Ottawa. It was a really intense program consisting mostly of organic chemistry related courses with pharmaceutical applications as well as a Lot of biochemistry and pharmacology. Do schools in the states take into account the undergrad programs are when looking at gpa?

Currently 1 year into a masters in Medical Biophysics at Univ. of Western Ontario (One of the top medical imaging sites in north america). My research is very clinical and I work directly with patients (respiratory diseases using new MRI technique)
- 3.95 grad gpa in 5 courses
- Will be submitting 3-4 first author publications in the next few months
- 6 poster presentations in radiology/respirology/medical imaging conferences
- currently shortlisted for RSNA student trainee award 2009

Took MCAT 2 summers ago and got 28 (12 6 10)...wrote it 2 weeks ago and I should get between a 30 and 35.

Hey guys,

So Im a non-trad student (I guess) from Canada and I just submitted my AMCAS primary last week...Just getting started on secondaries but I am really unsure as to if I'm competitive or not? Here are my crudentials:

3.35 overall undergrad GPA (about 3.5 in last 2 years) in Biopharmaceutical Sciences at Univ. of Ottawa. It was a really intense program consisting mostly of organic chemistry related courses with pharmaceutical applications as well as a Lot of biochemistry and pharmacology. Do schools in the states take into account the undergrad programs are when looking at gpa?

Currently 1 year into a masters in Medical Biophysics at Univ. of Western Ontario (One of the top medical imaging sites in north america). My research is very clinical and I work directly with patients (respiratory diseases using new MRI technique)
- 3.95 grad gpa in 5 courses
- Will be submitting 2-3 first author publications in the next few months
- 6 poster presentations in radiology/respirology/medical imaging conferences
- currently shortlisted for RSNA student trainee award 2009

Took MCAT 2 summers ago and got 28 (12 6 10)...wrote it 2 weeks ago and I should get between a 30 and 35.

Tons of extracurricular (cultural dance competitions, started up my own dance and entertainment group, played provincial level under19 cricket, involved in lots of cultural organizations etc). Also worked as a medical assistant in a clinic for a year. If anything I lack volunteering.

I worry because I cant apply to half the schools in canada because im below GPA cutoffs...I know the states dont have cutoffs but I feel 3.35 is a bit low.
Kinda long post I know haha...I would appreciate any feedback.

I just submitted my application this week since for some reason I thought that all my LORs had to be in before I applied. Ugh. I really hope i'm not too late in the application process.

MCAT- 36
GPA 2.8/3.98 (first time in school, second time in school)
I've been volunteering at the ER at my local hospital, shadowed docs, was in student government, worked on a research group, expecting to publish a paper this summer, etc. I'm also 29. :)

Here's where I applied-

George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Loma Linda University School of Medicine
Mayo Medical School
Oregon Health and Science University
University of Hawaii John A. Burns Sch. of Med.
University of Washington School of Medicine
Washington University School of Medicine

I just submitted my application this week since for some reason I thought that all my LORs had to be in before I applied. Ugh. I really hope i'm not too late in the application process.

MCAT- 36
I've been volunteering at the ER at my local hospital, shadowed docs, was in student government, worked on a research group, expecting to publish a paper this summer, etc. I'm also 29. :)

Here's where I applied-

Mayo Medical School

I had to comment on your school list. Are you a Seventh Day Adventist or have significant religious affiliation/activities? If not, Loma Linda is a waste of time/money. Oregon, Hawaii, and University of Washington rarely accept people who do not have significant ties to their respective states, so if you don't, also a waste of time/money. You may want to cruise over to the pre-allo forum and check out the school selection spreadsheet (or buy the MSAR) and use it to help you choose a few more schools if any of my above comments apply to you. Good luck! :)

I think the upward trend in your GPA makes you qualified for US MD programs. The MCAT is where you are going to have problems. Take the Berkeley Review or Princeton Review, and go through the Exam Krackers series, then retake the MCAT. If you got a 3.9 in your grad work, I'm assuming you can do better than a 22. I think a baked potatoe scores a 22. You can do it!! You can go to a US allopathic if you get that MCAT up which is possible with the prep work.

MCAT- 36

Here's where I applied-

Mayo Medical School

Wow so which one of these is your safety? Haha Johns Hopkins? With a 2.8 undergrad (the first time). I want to see how your attempt works out for sure. If you can get into Johns Hopkins, maybe I can. Haha

I am back and i have my first interview invite. i am so excited. It is for DO, but I do not care all I need is on acceptance, and then I will be picky. I was going to add more schools, but I do not think so I feel I aplied wisely the first time. Please wish me luck because I am so nervous.

Long time reader but haven't posted much so I thought I'd join in on the conversation.

Due to $$$ issues (my step-father is having a liver transplant, geez those things are expensive) I've only gone the TMDSAS route.

So far I have interviewed at UT-H, UT-El Paso and will be at UT-SA on 9/14.

Stats:
uGPA: 3.2
gGPA: 3.87
MCAT: 36
worked for three years after undergrad and was published 3 times and have received one patent (hopefully the other one clears the agency before January so I can start receiving those payments).

My grad program was the MA in Medical Sciences at Loyola, ungodly expensive but it was an excellent program in preparing me both in my application strength and the application/interview process. The faculty and staff were incredibly intelligent in all fronts of the application process and very knowledgeable about all schools I asked about. They targeted weak areas and I shored them up (clinical hours, community volunteering) as well as provided me with the opportunity to teach some undergrad classes.

Good luck to all this cycle, I hope to read some happy updates soon...

getting accepted/interviews at either an DO or MD program. I am leaning toward DO because my (DO shadow doc) and also my Orthopedic Surgeon is a DO and I like where the profession is going. He said in his day I'd have a great shot - but how about now?

Graduated Spring 2009 Biology major/Chem minor from Univ of Wisc after a 5 year leave from a failed first college attempt (2.75 GPA in computer science) -
Upon returning I have a Cum GPA of 3.55 and Science of 3.89.
Deans List for almost 4 years straight - all while working 40+ hours a week.
Also tutored in Microbiology, Immunology, and Organic Chemistry.

My overall stats due to being a youth!
Cum GPA 3.25
Science GPA 3.7
NOT so good MCAT - 24 R - (BS 9, PS 8, VR 7 )

30 years old - 9 years of upper management at a large company (just not for me - after 14 years there!) maybe would earn me leadership ability points??

I am also a volunteer EMT for the rural area - (2 years)

Interned/senior research project in the ER and a rehab medicine floor (260+hours).

Shadowed DO in Orthopedic Surgery (20 hours),

Shadowed an MD in a family practice setting (30 hours).

I also have plenty of volunteer type stuff (hundreds of hours worth).

I am going to apply next cycle 2010, so I am going to further more beef up my application - (more volunteer, etc..) but I am wondering where I may be lacking ( maybe retake the MCAT? ) - or will I at least be able to score a few interviews and go from there with what I have?

I am looking for honest answers from people who can relate to the age/family/responsibility issues that come along with being a little older!

Any input would be great! Thank you all for your time!!

getting accepted/interviews at either an DO or MD program. I am leaning toward DO because my (DO shadow doc) and also my Orthopedic Surgeon is a DO and I like where the profession is going. He said in his day I'd have a great shot - but how about now?

Graduated Spring 2009 Biology major/Chem minor from Univ of Wisc after a 5 year leave from a failed first college attempt (2.75 GPA in computer science) -
Upon returning I have a Cum GPA of 3.55 and Science of 3.89.
Deans List for almost 4 years straight - all while working 40+ hours a week.
Also tutored in Microbiology, Immunology, and Organic Chemistry.

My overall stats due to being a youth!
Cum GPA 3.25
Science GPA 3.7
NOT so good MCAT - 24 R - (BS 9, PS 8, VR 7 )

30 years old - 9 years of upper management at a large company (just not for me - after 14 years there!) maybe would earn me leadership ability points??

I am also a volunteer EMT for the rural area - (2 years)

Interned/senior research project in the ER and a rehab medicine floor (260+hours).

Shadowed DO in Orthopedic Surgery (20 hours),

Shadowed an MD in a family practice setting (30 hours).

I also have plenty of volunteer type stuff (hundreds of hours worth).

I am going to apply next cycle 2010, so I am going to further more beef up my application - (more volunteer, etc..) but I am wondering where I may be lacking ( maybe retake the MCAT? ) - or will I at least be able to score a few interviews and go from there with what I have?

I am looking for honest answers from people who can relate to the age/family/responsibility issues that come along with being a little older!

Any input would be great! Thank you all for your time!!

Given. That it is consummately ridiculous for me to dispensing advice, I will proceed in earnest.

You need a higher MCAT. Period. You can do it too. Especially given your demonstrable competencies in the sciences.

I do think your assessment of the "direction of the field" of orthopedic surgery having anything consequentially related to the awful predicament of Osteopathy is about as ridiculous as my advice game. Nonetheless. Or rather. Nevertheless. You should shuck such playthings.

Osteopathy is writhing on the floor of contradictions and self-definition. Orthopedic Surgery is a well-established field of working medicine. They are unrelated phenomenon.

Other than that. Your stats are very similar to mine. You have my sympathies if not my warning.

I'm having a rough time out here in the field. Fighting for my meals. In a vast teenage wasteland. Looking like a washed up chump. Getting punished in the brutal first rounds against younger, quicker, more beautiful boxers. Smiling uneasy at bankers and bill collectors who've made grim wagers on my demise.

Enjoy.

Well, my EDP app has been deferred to the regular pool =( I went ahead and applied to a few more schools. I guess things aren't looking all that great right now.

Hey Everyone,
I have a question about my pre-med track so far and i'm hoping this forum can help. I will be graduating from UNC in december with a BA in Biology and History with a non science GPA in the area of 3.5 (history major GPA is about a 3.7-3.8) and a science GPA in the area of 2.5. My overall GPA is 3.0. I have all B's in the traditional science courses pertaining to medical school except for a C+ in general Chem II and Orgo I. I still have Orgo II,Physics I and II, and a stats class to complete my pre-reqs. I will have a considerable amount of extracurricular activities as it pertains to healthcare including some things overseas by the time i apply to medical school. My concern right not is finding the best way to show my ability to do well in the sciences, which i know i can. I seem to fall into a unique category as it pertains to post bacc programs. I have too much science courses for some and not all the pre-reqs for medical school for others. My plan was to take some science classes during the spring as a non-degree seeking student back home and then apply to a masters program. My third option is too take courses for medical school on my own and then apply for medical school. Basically, seeing my science GPA, what do you think would be the best option for me? Oo, i also was a varsity athlete in college (i dont know if that changes anything). Thanks for the help.

Well, my EDP app has been deferred to the regular pool =( I went ahead and applied to a few more schools. I guess things aren't looking all that great right now.

I'm sorry. But at least they didn't reject you. So you could still get an acceptance from them later this cycle. Good luck.

Just stumbled across this thread now! I'm a non-trad student with a degree and a few years work experience in computer science. I'm another of the "wasn't really a student during my undergrad years" so my cum gpa isn't as high as I'd like it to be, but oh well. Not much to be done about that now.

I've been working as an EMT for a little over a year and am now in a full time position as a nurse assistant at a local hospital.

My stats, for those who are interested, can be found in my MDApps. This whole process has me swinging wildly back and forth between confidence and uncertainty. I do regret not applying to more schools, and more "safety" schools in particular.

Anywho, good luck to all!

I'm going to medical school! I was accepted to the University of Mississippi today!

Last edited:
I'm very excited to say the least. Looks like I might be the first, but I'm sure there are many more to come!

This time last year (almost to the day) I was sitting in the dean's office and he was telling me that it was unrealistic to expect to be prepared to apply this cycle. I took it a little personal at the time, and I resolved to do everything possible to make it a reality. I've been fortunate to have lucky breaks along the way to help make my best-case scenario a reality.

The information and feedback provided by the SDN community has been a huge help along the way. I really appreciate all of those that share their wisdom and encouragement on this forum.

Good luck to all on their interviews. I hope you guys have great experiences, and I look forward to the news of your acceptances.