2011-2012 Mayo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the course of the first two calendar years, you have a total of 30 weeks of time alotted for selective. 18 of those weeks have to be spent doing a selective (=20 hours/wk of professional enrichment) and 12 of them are "free time". You can go home and do a shadowing experience if you want. Do your 20 hours of shadowing in the week and the rest of the time you can spend with family or do whatever you want.

I have only been in Rochester for a month now but I am not worried about it. Everyone here is very close knit and we hang out alot together. There is plenty to do in Rochester, and if you get bored, the Twin Cities are less than 90 minutes away.

We haven't really talked much about FL/AZ rotations yet, but from what I have heard you are able to do all of your rotations away if you choose, but that it is not a wise idea. The recommendation is to do the rotation in specialties that you're interested in in Rochester because that's where the "best experience" is. Do the ones that are less important to you away from Rochester. Many students, for example, will choose to do surgery rotation away if they don't have interest in surgery.

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Wait, it's not too late to apply, right? I was waiting for my MCAT scores!

Got my LOR request this morning! Thought this school was out of reach for me, but added it to my AMCAS a week ago and I'm glad I did. Just a chance to interview here would be a dream come true.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the great info wisco!
everything i hear makes me fall more and more in love...i should probably stop for awhile..it sounds like this is a long haul.

Lets see some of these interview invites mayo

Anyone got any II yet?

Last edited:
dash not my frail hopes
Mayo my shy love I ask
share a day with me

Anxiously waiting,
Mayo, where may I ask, is
my LOR request?

Fee received early
On eleventh July
Before Bastille Day

I love thee so much,
that unrequited, I fear,
would be upsetting.

I'm also very anxious about a Mayo invite, but these poems are ridiculous.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also very anxious about a Mayo invite, but these poems are ridiculous.

Loosen up - it doesn't have to be so serious. We have no control right now, so what's wrong with being a bit goofy?

Loosen up - it doesn't have to be so serious. We have no control right now, so what's wrong with being a bit goofy?

I'm as loose as a grown man can be. Videos = funny; terrible poems = lame. I use this forum as entertainment during work hours, and I expect you all to provide it at a higher level. Just sayin.

I'm as loose as a grown man can be. Videos = funny; terrible poems = lame. I use this forum as entertainment during work hours, and I expect you all to provide it at a higher level. Just sayin.

I admit to nearly-obsessive SDN checking, but you know, you could be providing some entertainment as well.

Here's my contribution:

Haikus are poems
They do not always make sense
Refrigerator.

ouch. since I can't access videos at work, this is my entertainment, and yes, I do realize how lame it is to be entertained by haiku poems, but I need to distract myself from the suspense of waiting

Last edited:
You only have six syllables in the second line - add 'of' July.

Damn. Snuke corrected
this haiku, sign of my lack
of true competence.

Shamed, I return to
making solutions in the
bitterly cold lab.

+1 :p

LeoGer complains
we do not entertain him,
I say, think of this:

Is this not better
than repetitive queries
about the same things?

My LORs are
not up to snuff. My classmates
hate me already.

Let me ask people
who do not know this either.
Of course that will work.

LeoGer complains
we do not entertain him,
I say, think of this:

Is this not better
than repetitive queries
about the same things?

My LORs are
hate me already.

Let me ask people

I hearby nominate the bolded part as the official description of half of all SSD thread posts. :laugh:

LeoGer complains
we do not entertain him,
I say, think of this:

Is this not better
than repetitive queries
about the same things?

My LORs are
hate me already.

Let me ask people

:thumbup:

Mayo, Maybe I didn't turn my application in
Quite as early as I should have
Maybe I didn't shadow
Quite as often as I could have
Little things I should have said and done
I just never took the time

But Mayo you were always on my mind.
You were always on my mind.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9sRJ-eOHnc[/YOUTUBE]

LeoGer complains
we do not entertain him,
I say, think of this:

Is this not better
than repetitive queries
about the same things?

My LORs are
hate me already.

Let me ask people

I'm framing this. :bow:

Why is it that the Mayo thread always reverts into poetry haha :p

Does Mayo do silent rejections if they don't send out the LOR request? All of my letters were in AMCAS, I received another email saying that they received my fee, but nothing since then.

I'm a man...

Are you saying that literary inspiration is completely a female prerogative?

In classical times, yes, but we live in the modern world!

Does Mayo do silent rejections if they don't send out the LOR request? All of my letters were in AMCAS, I received another email saying that they received my fee, but nothing since then.

Same here. I've been complete since 7/1, and there should theoretically be a complete email, but no one has received it yet. Mayo does not do silent rejections.

EDIT: Oh, I misunderstood your question! Mayo still does not do silent rejections, and they're probably receiving a lot of extra applications. I suspect that they will tell you soon. You're not out of the running (last year, several people had to wait three weeks for LOR requests), but it's not as promising as having already received one.

Last edited:
Are you saying that literary inspiration is completely a female prerogative?

In classical times, yes, but we live in the modern world!

My UG institution didn't prepare me properly for this conversation. I feel cheated.

clearly there's a lot of Mayo love going on in this thread....

ketchup and mustard
neither one appeals to me
I prefer Mayo

that's probably the most poetry I have done in college...

This should be changed to a poetry forum

My UG institution didn't prepare me properly for this conversation. I feel cheated.

Ah, young padawan, you see, Classics is my second major. I could do this all day, even in Γρεεκ.

Matteo - love it!

Ah, young padawan, you see, Classics is my second major. I could do this all day, even in Γρεεκ.

Matteo - love it!

Ia anca peaksa iglatinpa. Ata eastla Ia knewa ita aswa abouta reekga oddessesga.

Ia anca peaksa iglatinpa. Ata eastla Ia knewa ita aswa abouta reekga oddessesga.

You are probably speak a real language, but

Ela anver twiu sabenvolo hebres nevces conturgo

I'm in the same boat, still, and they got my fee ages ago.

You are probably speak a real language, but

Ela anver twiu sabenvolo hebres nevces conturgo

I'm trying to figure out what fake language this is; it's not elvish or klingon. :smack:

That was rather astute of you, I admit. I might have missed the reference if I were not the one referencing the reference. Kudos! :highfive:

As much as I enjoy this blithe entertainment, it also disappoints me because every time I see a new post I suspect someone got an interview invite and then I get sad when it's just another poem.

As much as I enjoy this blithe entertainment, it also disappoints me because every time I see a new post I suspect someone got an interview invite and then I get sad when it's just another poem.

The way I see it, Mayo will most likely follow their previous pattern, so if there's nothing in the morning posts (because someone will definitely be up by the time the email arrives) then there's nothing but blithe entertainment all day.

Really, I like it better this way. All the other threads are boring (with the exception of BU) so this is a nice amusing alternative.

I end by providing more blithe entertainment with a nonsensical video about cats and a woman who loves them perhaps too much. But, alas, who can judge?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTTwcCVajAc[/youtube]

That video just made the waves through other employees at my job.

Personally, I keep hoping NOT to see that. That would mean someone gets it before me.

That video just made the waves through other employees at my job.

Glad to be of service! Try this one:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhxqIITtTtU[/youtube]

clearly there's a lot of Mayo love going on in this thread....

ketchup and mustard
neither one appeals to me
I prefer Mayo

that's probably the most poetry I have done in college...

ha! this one's my favorite so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.