2011-2012 Mayo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they actually update you when they want LOR, cause my payment email said that if we used the letter service they would just access the letters themselves with asking us about it. Might be a dumb question, but sent them payment in early July and haven't heard a thing.

Members don't see this ad.

spidey+sense.jpeg

Something today??

An update from Mayo admissions: The first interview invites will be going out next week. Best of luck to all who have their LOR's in already
wink.gif

I think this counts...no? Good luck all :luck:

Do they actually update you when they want LOR, cause my payment email said that if we used the letter service they would just access the letters themselves with asking us about it. Might be a dumb question, but sent them payment in early July and haven't heard a thing.

Yes, even if you use a letter service, Mayo will still send you an e-mail saying that they are retrieving your LOR.

Members don't see this ad :)

It's a separate email. The subject line will be : Request for Letters of Recommendation. You're not alone, though, so don't worry too much.

It definitely counts. Dude, you're psychic.

You are 2 for 2!

Mind predicting what day the invites will arrive in our inboxes? My money is on Friday/Saturday morning, like last year. And because it requires us to have more patience.

You are 2 for 2!

Mind predicting what day the invites will arrive in our inboxes? My money is on Friday/Saturday morning, like last year. And because it requires us to have more patience.

I see the e-mails leaving Mayo

sybil-trelawney.jpg

:eek::eek::eek:WEDNESDAY!!:eek::eek::eek:

An update from Mayo admissions: The first interview invites will be going out next week. Best of luck to all who have their LOR's in already ;)

I will pee my pants if I get an interveiw

GAH! I wish I could send my LORs already but my school's Health Committee is slow as $#!%

I see the e-mails leaving Mayo

sybil-trelawney.jpg

:eek::eek::eek:WEDNESDAY!!:eek::eek::eek:

Cause clearly you have a gift - Tuesday Night/Wednesday Morning or Wednesday Night/Thursday Morning?

much thanks soothsayer!

Any predictions for those of us who seem to have all submitted payment on 7/9 and haven't heard anything since? Haha

There is still hope!

Cause clearly you have a gift - Tuesday Night/Wednesday Morning or Wednesday Night/Thursday Morning?

much thanks soothsayer!

Wednesday Night/Thursday Morning. Just for the extra wait ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
An update from Mayo admissions: The first interview invites will be going out next week. Best of luck to all who have their LOR's in already ;)

Thanks for the update! Excited! :xf:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6dz4Xdf8IM[/YOUTUBE]

Waiting for you tonight, Mayo

The thought of invites coming out next week is exciting, but again nerve racking!

If I were Mayo, I wouldn't be pleased to have someone like J.Lo singing to me!

This is better :)

[YOUTUBE]fDxzQJaA228[/YOUTUBE]

Apparently, us yankees cannot watch that video here in the states.

Apparently, us yankees cannot watch that video here in the states.

Yeah I had the same problem, but if we're going to be posting George Michael songs, might as well post this

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaoLU6zKaws[/YOUTUBE]

I'll proudly admit that I grabbed my saxophone the second I finished watching sexy saxophone man for the first time to figure out how to play that.

I'll proudly admit that I grabbed my saxophone the second I finished watching sexy saxophone man for the first time to figure out how to play that.

That's awesome. If you put that on your app and I was an adcom, an acceptance would be waiting for you in your mailbox.

no go for me..3.95 biochem, 36S MCAT, varsity athlete at U of Mich, Researcher AT Mayo, grandpa was a Doc here for 30+ years. : /

I can't feel too bad about getting the old reject email after seeing this. For those who are keeping track, 33Q, 3.8 GPA engineering major, average ECs. The ECs are likely what downed me for this one. Good luck to all the people who got LOR requests and/or Interview invites!

So excited to finally post something here (was waiting for some news): got LOR request at 233 this morning :) my stats aren't that blow away awesome so I agree with others that there's definitely a focus on ECs....good luck to those still in the running! and to those not, judging by your stats, you'll still have a great cycle!
for the info, i was verified 7/12, fee received 7/15, LOR request 7/22.

Yeah I had the same problem, but if we're going to be posting George Michael songs, might as well post this

[YOUTUBE]GaoLU6zKaws[/YOUTUBE]

you know mayo applicants are awesome when this video can be relevant to our thread... :laugh:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOGaugKpzs&ob=av3e[/youtube]

As one commenter succinctly states: "if by "everybody" you mean "mentally ill people who stalk the object of their unhealthy obsession," then yes it's still the anthem of everybody who is in love."

I believe that sums it up.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iSRr3ZuLL8[/YOUTUBE]

We we we so excited

Look into my app. You will see. What you mean to me...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekkj2T5SH_Q[/YOUTUBE]

So excited to finally post something here (was waiting for some news): got LOR request at 233 this morning :) my stats aren't that blow away awesome so I agree with others that there's definitely a focus on ECs....good luck to those still in the running! and to those not, judging by your stats, you'll still have a great cycle!
for the info, i was verified 7/12, fee received 7/15, LOR request 7/22.

Ahh Mayo, why must you torture me so... 7/11 fee received and nothing... gotta think no news is good news, I guess :confused: Though my letters are already in AMCAS as well, maybe I'll just hold out hope that they decided "Let's take 'em and not tell trypanosomiasis!"

My feelings in creepy love song form:
[YOUTUBE=HBQ9dm7zaQU]Cheap Trick - I Want You to Want Me[/YOUTUBE]

Ah, but due congrats to you, chrissyxf!

Ahh Mayo, why must you torture me so... 7/11 fee received and nothing... gotta think no news is good news, I guess :confused: Though my letters are already in AMCAS as well, maybe I'll just hold out hope that they decided "Let's take 'em and not tell trypanosomiasis!"

Mayo is pretty good about not stringing people along. If you're rejected, they'll tell you. If you haven't heard anything yet, you're still in the running!

And nice choice of video.

Mayo is pretty good about not stringing people along. If you're rejected, they'll tell you. If you haven't heard anything yet, you're still in the running!

I love schools like this. I like to know where I stand with people and I don't appreciate the 'dance' that many schools engage in. Just tell me you don't like me and lets both move on. :laugh:

Here we go Mayo!:luck:

After waiting almost three weeks and getting interview invites from three AMAZING schools. Mayo, you're still the one.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--IRJr_AsPU&feature=relmfu[/YOUTUBE]

i really love the string of posts with videos. good for after a long day at work :)

Anyone able to find a standard daily schedule of an M1 at Mayo?

Got LOR request last night after pre-req confirmation earlier this week

Sup guys. Submitted my primary a while ago, waiting to be verified.

My numbers are not Mayo caliber, but maybe my background will get me some looks! Good luck to you all!

It will be interesting to see if the upcoming interview invites will include everyone who has received LOR requests or only the first few batches.

Nah, I couldn't find that. I haven't seen any school give an hour-by-hour or day-by-day.

I've found a few, but just looking for more material to drool over.

Anyone able to find a standard daily schedule of an M1 at Mayo?

M1 schedule consists of morning lecture/lab from 8AM-noon. Then we have "Basic Doctoring" (physical exam skills and history taking, etc) 1-2 days per week in the afternoons from 1-5. The majority of the afternoons are free.

M2 year is reversed with daily lecture/lab in the afternoons.

hey Wisco1, thanks for your info. what are you up to this summer? must be very excited to start your year at mayo!

We actually started last week (yes I know it's early). We start the public health course on Monday, and in 2 weeks we will be into real med school material = Histology/genetics.

Despite Mayo's early start, I don't know any other med schools that give 1-2 weeks off after each course block to do whatever you want.

wow. would you say you prefer the 1-2 weeks off after each course block? are you from the area? well, good luck with classes!

We actually started last week (yes I know it's early). We start the public health course on Monday, and in 2 weeks we will be into real med school material = Histology/genetics.

Despite Mayo's early start, I don't know any other med schools that give 1-2 weeks off after each course block to do whatever you want.

man everything i hear i fall more in :love:

Wisco- thanks for the information. How much do they push to do selectives during those breaks or is it really "free to do what you want?" Meaning, I obviously have a huge interest in taking advantage of some of the unique selectives (like going on international trips and learning surgical techniques, etc.) but going to mayo would require moving away from everyone I know (and not by a short distance) and I really would like time to visit my family. If you have 2 weeks off, can 1 be used for a selective and 1 to go home?
i would also really like to hear from students who have stayed there for a year or more in terms of day to day life in Rochester. I currently live in a major city on the coast (and grew up in suburbia near NYC) and have never lived anywhere "rural" or "small town." It's my only concern but location is an important factor to happiness even though I love love love everything else about mayo.
last, how much are the rotations available to go to jacksonville or arizona in 3/4th years? Can you go for several months or is it really just a 1 or 2 rotation deal?

Thank you! It's great to have students to talk to.

Status
Not open for further replies.