2011-2012 Psychiatry Interview/Match Thread (Invites, Reviews, etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I see a few of you already have medical school transcripts submitted. Was there a place on ERAS to select this? I'm hoping there wasn't because I don't see it anywhere...

It appears that my application only includes the following: Profile, MyERAS application, Letters of Recommendation, Personal Statement, Photo, and COMLEX. I don't see medical school transcripts anywhere. Is that just something that the school sends out later to each of the programs I applied to? I know the dean's letter won't be sent until November 1, but what about transcripts? This has me a little worried now.

That being said, I have received two invites already :D ... but they are both from programs I rotated with, so they already have an unofficial transcript from a few months back, plus they already know me. While I am certainly happy to have these two invites, I wonder if the transcript issue is why I haven't heard from anyone else yet, or is it simply too early to start worrying?

Members don't see this ad.

I see a few of you already have medical school transcripts submitted. Was there a place on ERAS to select this? I'm hoping there wasn't because I don't see it anywhere...

It appears that my application only includes the following: Profile, MyERAS application, Letters of Recommendation, Personal Statement, Photo, and COMLEX. I don't see medical school transcripts anywhere. Is that just something that the school sends out later to each of the programs I applied to? I know the dean's letter won't be sent until November 1, but what about transcripts? This has me a little worried now.

That being said, I have received two invites already :D ... but they are both from programs I rotated with, so they already have an unofficial transcript from a few months back, plus they already know me. While I am certainly happy to have these two invites, I wonder if the transcript issue is why I haven't heard from anyone else yet, or is it simply too early to start worrying?

At my school you have to pay to have the transcript printed and sent to the Dean's office before they upload it to ERAS. It isn't done automatically for you.

As for your worries, one thing that may allay your fears is to look at last year's interview invites. You'll likely see that the programs you're waiting to hear from didn't hand out interviews this early.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11527186&highlight=interview+invite#post11527186

At my school you have to pay to have the transcript printed and sent to the Dean's office before they upload it to ERAS. It isn't done automatically for you.

As for your worries, one thing that may allay your fears is to look at last year's interview invites. You'll likely see that the programs you're waiting to hear from didn't hand out interviews this early.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11527186&highlight=interview+invite#post11527186

not only do u need to probably order a transcript from your school dean's office with a DSF to submit it to ERAS, you need to click the 2 boxes for submitting transcript and for submitting the MSPE at the top of one of the pages in ERAS (sorry, i can't remember the page now that I submitted it. Perhaps someone else remembers exactly which page on ERAS these boxes are to be clicked? Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
That being said, I have received two invites already :D ... but they are both from programs I rotated with, so they already have an unofficial transcript from a few months back, plus they already know me.

CTR, u mind sharin which programs?

you need to click the 2 boxes for submitting transcript and for submitting the MSPE at the top of one of the pages in ERAS (sorry, i can't remember the page now that I submitted it. Perhaps someone else remembers exactly which page on ERAS these boxes are to be clicked? Good luck!

I have no recollection of this. Are you talking about the USMLE transcript?

Received my first rejection today from the University of Colorado! No invites yet either (submitted 9/1 but a/w transcript and 2 LoRs). I am a bit disheartened since I have applied to many places that are even more competitive and now wonder if I have overestimated my competitiveness. I do have a low step 1 score (209/87) but a decent step 2 (245/99) and am an FMG from the UK (ECFMG certified).

Are there any residents/attendings out there who would be willing to have a look at my application and tell me if I am just not a good enough application or if i smell or if I have done something else glaringly wrong?

:(

I'm not a resident or attending, but it's early days yet.... I'm a bit of a hypocrite on this one, but try not to worry.

Of the SDN members applying to psychiatry, there are a few people who have posted here with interviews; probably a few more who have interviews but are reluctant to post; and a bunch more who are anxiously looking at the list and hoping their turn will come soon.

I love SDN, but it can make the outliers seem like the norm, as more competitive applicants are often more willing to post their information in a public forum. The psychology of that is interesting, given that the forum allows for anonymity, but that's a story for another day :laugh:

Sending you some luck and best wishes. :luck::thumbup:

I'm not a resident or attending, but it's early days yet.... I'm a bit of a hypocrite on this one, but try not to worry.

Of the SDN members applying to psychiatry, there are a few people who have posted here with interviews; probably a few more who have interviews but are reluctant to post; and a bunch more who are anxiously looking at the list and hoping their turn will come soon.

I love SDN, but it can make the outliers seem like the norm, as more competitive applicants are often more willing to post their information in a public forum. The psychology of that is interesting, given that the forum allows for anonymity, but that's a story for another day :laugh:

Sending you some luck and best wishes. :luck::thumbup:

I think it's just very early still.

I, for example, do not consider myself a "competitive" applicant. I'm a DO, no USMLE scores, fairly unimpressive COMLEX 1, solid (but not superstar) COMLEX 2, good rotation grades (a good # of A's, esp in psych), only 1 LOR in (but I think it's a good one), and no audition rotations completed yet.

I've got 3 interviews so far, but they're all at fairly non-competitive places, I think. Who knows, maybe that's all I'll get...lol

Judging by last year, the bulk of the invites started coming later in Sept and early Oct, I think. Be patient.

I think it's just very early still.

I, for example, do not consider myself a "competitive" applicant. I'm a DO, no USMLE scores, fairly unimpressive COMLEX 1, solid (but not superstar) COMLEX 2, good rotation grades (a good # of A's, esp in psych), only 1 LOR in (but I think it's a good one), and no audition rotations completed yet.

I've got 3 interviews so far, but they're all at fairly non-competitive places, I think. Who knows, maybe that's all I'll get...lol

Judging by last year, the bulk of the invites started coming later in Sept and early Oct, I think. Be patient.

I wasn't trying to say anything about anyone individually... I just meant that there might be five people on the thread getting interviews and fifty not at this very early stage, but since we tend to hear from the people who are, it can make the early interview invitations seem like the norm..

I wasn't trying to say anything about anyone individually... I just meant that there might be five people on the thread getting interviews and fifty not at this very early stage, but since we tend to hear from the people who are, it can make the early interview invitations seem like the norm..

I know, just wanted to provide a counterpoint. I'm sure that the range of people receiving interviews is from stellar applicants to terrible ones. It's sooooo super early. Still, I'm excited so far!

I would guess the more competitive programs wait longer to send out interview invites since those "elite" places don't really have to worry about people canceling or applicants turning down interviews. And judging from the normal clientele on these boards im guessing there are a decent nimber of posters that have only applied to these places. I thik whats important to remember is that its so early in the process and that everyone just needs to be patient. That being said I admit I've been checking my email about 5 times a day more than usual haha.

:confused:
CTR, u mind sharin which programs?

Hi, guys, I am a new member, IMG, who did neurology in home town and now I am aplying to Psych in the US. I am American, so no visa required, but I am conserned, that because I dont have any psych experience I wont receive any interviews. I received one for neurology so far. This wait is KILLING me, when should we start hering form programs? is it usual to linger?

Undisclosed
Shufflin 9/6

California
UCLA-Harbor: psychphan 9/8

Georgia
Emory University: classof2011 9/7, JabsterL 9/7

Indiana
Indiana University: digitlnoize 9/7, pingouin 9/7

Louisiana
LSU: psychphan 9/8

North Carolina
Wake Forest: digitlnoize 9/7, psychphan 9/8

Maryland
UMaryland: classof2011 9/12

Ohio
Case Western: SmallBird 9/7, neopsych12 9/7

Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth: digitlnoize 9/8

Members don't see this ad :)
Undisclosed
Shufflin 9/6

California

Georgia

Indiana

Louisiana

North Carolina

Maryland

Ohio

Virginia

OMG, are these interviews allready, now I am woried :scared:

Undisclosed
Shufflin 9/6

Arizona
Banner Good Samaritan: jecrunner 9/7

California

Georgia

Indiana

Louisiana

North Carolina

Maryland

Ohio
Ohio State: jecrunner 9/8

Virginia

Undisclosed
Shufflin 9/6

Arizona
Banner Good Samaritan: jecrunner 9/7, psychDO85 9/7

California
UCLA-Harbor: psychphan 9/8,

Georgia

Indiana

Louisiana

North Carolina

Maryland

Michigan
MSU: psychDO85 9/12

Ohio

Texas
JPS-Fort Worth: psychDO85 9/12

Virginia

Edit: Adding Georgia Health Sciences

Current Invite List:

Undisclosed
Shufflin 9/6

Arizona

California

Georgia
Georgia Health Sciences (Augusta): digitlnoize 9/12

Indiana

Louisiana

Maryland

Michigan

North Carolina

Ohio

Texas

Virginia

Last edited:
Current Invite List:

Undisclosed
Shufflin 9/6

Arizona

California

Georgia
Emory University: classof2011 9/7, JabsterL 9/7, phorensic 9/9

Indiana

Louisiana

Maryland

Michigan

North Carolina

Ohio

Texas

Virginia

Congrats on the interviews, everyone!

Current Invite List:

Undisclosed
Shufflin 9/6

Arizona

California

Georgia

Indiana

Louisiana

Maryland

Michigan

North Carolina

Ohio
Ohio State: jecrunner 9/8, pingouin 9/12

Texas

Virginia

DoctorBagel: Ha! Thanks! lol

Everyone else: Congrats!

Arizona

California

Georgia

Indiana

Louisiana

Massachusetts
HSS: SmallBird 9/13

Maryland

Michigan

North Carolina

Ohio

Texas

Virginia

Arizona

California

Georgia

Indiana

Louisiana

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

North Carolina

Ohio

South Carolina
MUSC: digitlnoize 9/13

Texas

Virginia

Question for those more experienced: Is there any advantage/disadvantage as to when to schedule these interviews? I'm not sure if it's ok to push my less favored programs off to say, January (when I have a more flexible rotation and more time off) or if I should do them all immediately to seem eager. Do programs care about Nov vs Jan?

Arizona

California

Georgia

Indiana

Louisiana

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

North Carolina
East Carolina: digitlnoize 9/13

Ohio

South Carolina

Texas

Virginia

Adding East Carolina...

Arizona

California

Georgia

Indiana

Louisiana

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

North Carolina

East Carolina: digitlnoize 9/13, FutureDrO 9/13

Ohio

South Carolina

Texas

Virginia

Last edited:
Adding a couple more but not re-posting the whole list to save space.

U of New Mexico
UC- Denver
HSS
Tulane
East Carolina

Arizona

California

Colorado
UC- Denver: psychphan 9/13

Georgia

Indiana

Louisiana
Tulane: psychphan 9/13

Maryland

Massachusetts
HSS: SmallBird 9/13, psychphan 9/13

Michigan

Missouri
Wash U in STL: pingouin 9/13

New Mexico
UNM: psychphan 9/13

North Carolina
East Carolina: digitlnoize 9/13, FutureDrO 9/13, psychphan 9/13

Ohio

South Carolina

Texas

Virginia

Here's the view from the program director's side...

I received over 300 applications on 9/1, and have over 500 applications today. Between seeing patients, starting up our academic year and addressing various crises, I have started to review the applications and identify potential interviewees in the past week. The first batch of invitations will soon be forthcoming from my efficient program coordinator. However, I still have probably 250-300 applications to review (and I anticipate another 250 new applications will come in in the next month).

Please don't worry if you haven't heard anything yet. Now I have to get back to work...

Here's the view from the program director's side...

I received over 300 applications on 9/1, and have over 500 applications today. Between seeing patients, starting up our academic year and addressing various crises, I have started to review the applications and identify potential interviewees in the past week. The first batch of invitations will soon be forthcoming from my efficient program coordinator. However, I still have probably 250-300 applications to review (and I anticipate another 250 new applications will come in in the next month).

Please don't worry if you haven't heard anything yet. Now I have to get back to work...

Wow! Thanks for that picture! I think most of us realize how early it is, but I have a buddy applying to pediatrics and has been freaking out despite my reassurances that it's early...maybe this will help.

Hey all,
I received an interview invite from Meharry Medical College Psychiatry Program in Nashville, TN. Anybody interviewed there? any interview advice?

Adding NYU!

Arizona

California

Colorado

Georgia

Indiana

Louisiana

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Missouri

New Mexico

New York
NYU: ledaddy 9/14

North Carolina

Ohio

South Carolina

Texas

Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth: digitlnoize 9/8[/QUOTE]

Congrats on the NYU, that's awesome! We didn't apply to NY, mostly due to the cost of living and having a kid, but that's a great place!

Edit: Nevermind. Adding UVA for me! Woot!

Arizona

California

Colorado

Georgia

Indiana

Louisiana

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Missouri

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

South Carolina

Tennessee
Meharry: TaiMD 9/14

Texas

Virginia
University of Virginia: digitlnoize 9/14

Last edited:
Wanted to add UVA!!! And congratulations to everyone!!

By the way, Digitlnoize, instead of making pages of the list copied and pasted, do you think that maybe you could just update the original post on the first page, every so often, as people add their programs? It'll be easier to refer to and keep the thread less busy. I understand if that might be too much work for you though. Just thought i'd throw the suggestion out there.

Wanted to add UVA!!! And congratulations to everyone!!

By the way, Digitlnoize, instead of making pages of the list copied and pasted, do you think that maybe you could just update the original post on the first page, every so often, as people add their programs? It'll be easier to refer to and keep the thread less busy. I understand if that might be too much work for you though. Just thought i'd throw the suggestion out there.

I could, but I can't promise I'll be able to keep it up forever. I'm just on a really boring rotation right now and have a lot of time on my hands. The months from here on out don't look as good...

I think that it might be better to just stick with the status quo. There's no real limit on the number of pages...

I'm not sure if everyone knows (I didn't a while back) but if you're looking down the list of threads, under the "Last Post" column, and click on the little arrow next to the person's name who made the last post, it will take you directly to the last post, and you won't have to read through it.

If anyone wants to occasionally post the formatted one in the thread, that would work too. Whatever, it's fine either way. I'm flexible! :D

No problem!! I understand that we're all busy and it's likely to get busier over the next few months. We can just keep this original formatting so that there is no obligation for any one particular person. Thanks for starting the thread though :)

Arizona

California

Colorado

Georgia

Indiana

Louisiana

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Missouri

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Ohio
Case Western: SmallBird 9/7, neopsych12 9/7, futuredro 9/14

South Carolina

Tennessee

Texas

Virginia
University of Virginia: digitlnoize 9/14, futuredro 9/14

Yeah, I checked in with our program coordinator on Monday. We were at 300+ applications and on Monday our program hadn't even started to look at them yet. Still early.

Why didn't UIC fill last year? I thought they had some really good Child/Adolescent faculty and were quite a good program... Would appreciate the insight as I'm very interested in the Chicago programs.

The short answer is that they didn't rank enough people.

The long answer involves a lot of internal politics.

Arizona

California

Colorado

Connecticut
Yale: no 9/12

Georgia
Emory University: classof2011 9/7, JabsterL 9/7, phorensic 9/9, no 9/12

Indiana

Louisiana

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Missouri

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

South Carolina

Tennessee

Texas

Virginia
user_offline.gif

Arizona

California

Colorado

Connecticut
Yale: no 9/12

Georgia
Emory University: classof2011 9/7, JabsterL 9/7, phorensic 9/9, no 9/12

Indiana

Louisiana

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Missouri

New Jersey
UMDNJ/RWJ-Piscataway: SmallBird 9/15

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

South Carolina

Tennessee

Texas

Virginia

Smallbird, did HSS ever get back to you when you accepted the invite? I got 3 different invites, each one contained a different "reply to" email address (one had a "." another has the letter ERAS at the end) and I replied to them but haven't heard back as far as a confirmation of the date. Was wondering if you were experiencing the same thing.

Arizona

California

Colorado

Connecticut
Yale: NoNoNoNo 9/12

Georgia

Indiana

Iowa
U Iowa: digitlnoize 9/15

Louisiana

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Missouri

New Jersey
UMDNJ/RWJ-Piscataway: SmallBird 9/15

New Mexico

New York
SUNY-Upstate: digitlnoize 9/15

North Carolina
Wake Forest: digitlnoize 9/7, psychphan 9/8, FutureDrO 9/13

Ohio
Case Western: SmallBird 9/7, neopsych12 9/7, FutureDrO 9/14

South Carolina

Tennessee

Texas

Virginia
University of Virginia: digitlnoize 9/14, FutureDrO 9/14

Last edited:
hey guys...new member here. i wanted to add to the list of interviews. I'm a US senior from an MD school.

Ohio State
U of Colorado Denver
UCLA harbor
Morehouse
U of Oklahoma Tulsa

Albany medical center :cool:

Arizona

California
UCLA-Harbor: psychphan 9/8, thupper44 9/15

Colorado
UC- Denver: psychphan 9/13, thupper44 9/15