2011-2012 Psychiatry Interview/Match Thread (Invites, Reviews, etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Woo! Just submitted ERAS. Applied to lots of programs because, well, why not? Easier to apply early and turn down interviews than apply late without enough interviews.

In the immortal words of Joe Swanson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipWoX9xL2No

Members don't see this ad.

I am thankful for your opinion - I guess other than the match stats, its about getting a "Feel" for these things, so the more opinions the better.

In the mid-west: yes, I have applied there, although not very broadly. I have applied in Iowa, Ohio and Wisconsin. Decided to leave out Chicago programs in the end - the process was just getting too expensive, and they don't seem very FMG friendly.

I still don't understand what 'FMG friendly means' but both the university of chicago and UIC have FMGs in their programs (the former has lots) and UIC failed to fill last year. I definitely think if you are interested in these programs then it is worth applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I still don't understand what 'FMG friendly means'

I think it's typically taken to mean that the program has a) taken FMG's in the past, and b) is not uber-competitive.

If a program is made up solely of graduates of Harvard, Yale, Brown, and nowhere else, there's little hope of an FMG getting in, thus it is "unfriendly."

A lot of psych departments seem to have foreign grads as residents though, so I'd apply to any places you're interested in where you think you might have a shot based on your scores/app.

I guess what I meant was there are a lot of programs out there that have a high proportion of IMGs/FMGs because no US medical student in their right mind would go there either because of location or because of malignancy, poor training etc. I wouldn't exactly call those programs 'friendly'.

However I have been told by faculty at many of the so-called 'top' programs that they are genuinely looking for the best of the best regardless of where they come from. The IMG/FMG pool has a much greater variation in that you have some real academic superstars and people who were professors in their own country coming and starting again on the one hand, and some who are so awful one prays they never practice medicine anywhere in the world on the other. If it just so happens that the best applicants are mostly from the US, I can't blame those programs for choosing the US students. But it is a much fairer process than Canada where canadians are matched first, or Europe where EU citizens must be appointed ahead of anyone from outside Europe.

Why didn't UIC fill last year? I thought they had some really good Child/Adolescent faculty and were quite a good program... Would appreciate the insight as I'm very interested in the Chicago programs.

If it just so happens that the best applicants are mostly from the US, I can't blame those programs for choosing the US students.

Actually, the quality hierarchy is probably just the opposite:
http://content.healthaffairs.org/content/29/8/1461.abstract

From the abstract (boldface mine):

Our analysis of 244,153 hospitalizations in Pennsylvania found that patients of doctors who graduated from international medical schools and were not U.S. citizens at the time they entered medical school had significantly lower mortality rates than patients cared for by doctors who graduated from U.S. medical schools or who were U.S. citizens and received their degrees abroad.​

interesting paper! I am not sure what the findings means, if anything. But I would contend that 'best applicant' does not necessarily mean best doctor, because the fact is being the best medical student does not require the same skills as being the best doctor. Having a step 1 score of 280, 10 1st author publications in Nature, honoring all your core clerkships and having a PhD may make you a great applicant but doesn't mean you'll be a great doctor.

Having experienced both UK and US medical education I can say that US medical students are expected to have knowledge base that far exceeds that required on medical students anywhere else. However the clinical skills of the average British graduate far exceed those of the average US graduate. Not surprising when everyone gets CT'd in the US and overinvestigated because of fear of litigation - you don't have to rely on your clinical skills as much. It is also telling that the Step 2 CS is a joke of an exam, and whilst the ABIM doesn't exam clinical skills for certification, the most brutal part of the Royal College of Physicians membership exam is the clinical skills exam. Incidentally the clinical skills exam for the membership of the royal college of psychiatrists has about a 30% pass rate.

Our analysis of 244,153 hospitalizations in Pennsylvania found that patients of doctors who graduated from international medical schools and were not U.S. citizens at the time they entered medical school had significantly lower mortality rates than patients cared for by doctors who graduated from U.S. medical schools or who were U.S. citizens and received their degrees abroad. [/INDENT]
Interesting to see some actual data on this. This shouldn't come as a particular surprise. USMD's are USMD's. IMG's usually go to a select list of schools in Mexico, the Caribbean, Australia and Europe. FMG's that make it into U.S. residency programs, on the other hand, tend to be the best and brightest an entire country produces.

I think this is why when you see foreign medical schools listed on the resident page of top programs, they're so often from schools you've never heard of. IMG's at these places tend to have resumes and brains that put the rest of us to shame.

Hi everyone! Although I read it often, this is my first time posting at this forum and I wanted to thank you all for your great advice and comments. I'm also applying for the 2012 psychiatry match and I'll try to post any news here as well. Best luck to all of you!

I still don't understand what 'FMG friendly means' but both the university of chicago and UIC have FMGs in their programs (the former has lots) and UIC failed to fill last year. I definitely think if you are interested in these programs then it is worth applying.

Thank you for this insight. As it happens, I will probably hold on a minute, for reasons that may seem ridiculous to the outsider - like not being able to afford that many plane tickets! If by early October I haven't had luck with the 40 I have applied to, Chicago will be my next port of call!

Regarding the clinical and theory skills of US doctors - coming from a country which is supposedly renowned for producing doctors with good clinical skills, I can testify to what i believe to be a noticeable advantage in theoretical knowledge when it comes to US trained students and doctors. Last year, a group of interns at our hospital all failed the USMLE utterly, despite the fact that they could probably do C/Sections with their eyes closed...

theoretical knowledge when it comes to US trained students and doctors. Last year, a group of interns at our hospital all failed the USMLE utterly, despite the fact that they could probably do C/Sections with their eyes closed...

And right there is the problem with US medical education. This has been discussed to death in other threads, but all the theoretical knowledge in the world doesn't make you a good doctor.

Judging us medical students and deciding our careers, our fates, and the fates of our families (if we have them) on the basis of a theoretical knowledge based exam is unfair and short-sighted. Getting a 270 doesn't make you a better doctor than someone who got a 210. There should be a minimum level of competence (which, btw, is all the board exams are designed to test, and that is 180), but to say that someone who crushed it is better than someone who didn't is both untrue and unfair. Yeah, yeah, life isn't fair.

Now, I don't really have a better idea. I would like more input from our patients. I think it should be standard to have PATIENTS write letters of recommendations, at least one or two. I think the CS exam should be more standardized, and broken into two sections: a live patient section that is more subjective and similar to what we do now, and a Robot/Simulated patient section that throws everything and the kitchen sink at you to see how you respond and if you can act appropriately and order the correct treatments in a variety of situations, from codes, to C sections, to allergic reaction to meds, to...you get the idea. But everyone would pretty much get the same scenario.

It's the Kobayashi Maru, basically: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobayashi_Maru

This subjective uber-test would replace Step 1 as the "make or break" test, relegating Step 1&2 to what they are supposed to be, minimum competency exams.

I would even be in favor of throwing a REAL Kobayashi Maru (lose-lose) situation at the students, and grading them on how well they handle it.

Just one option, but there are a million ways the system could be better than the travesty that exists now. Do you know how many programs' sites I've read where they say things like, "We prefer applicants who have USMLE scores above the 85 percentile."

Really? I'm sure they mean the two-digit score...which is NOT a percentile, but yet some/many programs remain ignorant of this fact despite constant attempts to reeducate them. Saw another program that accepts the COMPLEX exam (the DO exam is the COMLEX, no P.) And it wasn't a typo...they repeated themselves many, many times. They really wanted to drive the point home that they take the COMPLEX on their website.

Anyways, this issue runs deeper than who is better. The US taxpayers spend a lot of money training us (government student loans, government funded residency programs, government loan forgiveness, etc, etc) and US students (MD's and DO's) should get some level of priority because of this, whether we're better or not.

You guys are killing me with all this talk! Who has invites?

Members don't see this ad :)

Nothing here yet. One friend got an MD Path invite last Friday. That's all I've heard from anyone. Seems programs are taking their sweet time.

Nada... usmle transcript & 3 lors are posted but my school doesn't upload our medical school transcript until 10/1. Does anyone know if that's the norm?

Nada... usmle transcript & 3 lors are posted but my school doesn't upload our medical school transcript until 10/1. Does anyone know if that's the norm?
Dunno what the norm is regarding transcripts, but mine's up. I did consent for its release before some grades came back, though. Maybe your school won't do it until yours is more complete?

As for the idle chatter, that's all I've got to offer right now, too.

Nothing here either. Have USMLE and 2 LORs up, but transcript won't be up until tomorrow.

Looks like about 1/3 of the programs I applied to haven't even downloaded anything yet.

I have all the grades for my core clerkships & my school doesn't give us the option of releasing before grades are in. I guess the policy is oct 1st for some reason. Huh. I wondering if that means september will go by without any love... Only 24 days. Oh no, 10/1 is a saturday. :mad:

School Transcript: In
LORs: 1 in, 2 on the way any day now (tap tap tap)
COMLEX transcript: In
PS: In
Photo: In

Interviews: 0

Patience young padawan.

Got my first interview invite! At one of my top choices! They said I was their first invite of the season... way too exciting!! I am shufflin....

WooHoo! One down! Mind tell us where?

I'd like to refrain from sharing for personal reasons, but I wish everyone out there the very best!

That's fine, figured it couldn't hurt to ask! Still, good to know there's one invite out there! Congrats!

Got my first interview invite! At one of my top choices!

Congrats! Did you have your transcript, USMLE transcript, a few LORs etc. in already?

Here we go!

Undisclosed:
Shufflin 9/6

North Carolina
Wake Forest: digitlnoize 9/7

My file is not complete. I only have one LOR in, other LORs are en route. Everything else is there. COMLEX only.

congrats on your interview offer! - can i suggest that start a separate thread for invites as this thread has gotten quite long, and then a separate one for reviews?

congrats on your interview offer! - can i suggest that start a separate thread for invites as this thread has gotten quite long, and then a separate one for reviews?

It's up to you guys, I'm fine here. I'm keeping the list up to date on the first post of page one, so you shouldn't have to go far to see the list.

My file is not complete. I only have one LOR in, other LORs are en route. Everything else is there. COMLEX only.

Based on your invite, it seems that a transcript is probably necessary for interviews (more than LORs). It does make sense that they'd want to see what kind of student you are.

Undisclosed:
Shufflin 9/6

North Carolina

Georgia
Emory University: classof2011 9/7

Undisclosed:
Shufflin 9/6

North Carolina

Georgia

Ohio
Case Western: SmallBird 9/7

:)

2 in 1 day! Happy day!

Undisclosed:
Shufflin 9/6

Georgia

Indiana:
Indiana University: digitlnoize 9/7

North Carolina

Ohio

2 in 1 day! Happy day!

Undisclosed:
Shufflin 9/6

Georgia

Indiana:

North Carolina

Ohio

Congrats! For the rest of the anxious bystanders, do you mind sharing what day you submitted your applications?

Thanks!:D

Time to dial down the OCPD traits for the day:p

Yeah, you can relax. The lady at Indiana U said it was their very first day of handing out interviews, so it's still extremely early in this process. No freaking yet. For all we know, these'll be the only two I get, hahaha.

submitted on 9/1-about 9-10ish am. First LOR and transcript submitted only today...(after invite),

Emory
Submitted app 9/1 after 8 a.m. rounds (so about 1030 a.m.)

I hope I didn't start anyone else worrying or generate a new form of craziness; I really don't think it matters what time of day anyone submitted.... I just started worrying whether I had messed up by submitting my applications a couple days late (A couple of my letters were missing, and I wasn't sure whether to submit without them)

Undisclosed:
Shufflin 9/6

Georgia
Emory University: classof2011 9/7, JabsterL 9/7

Indiana:

North Carolina

Ohio

Undisclosed:
Shufflin 9/6

Georgia

Indiana:

North Carolina

Ohio
Case Western: SmallBird 9/7, neopsych12 9/7

Undisclosed
Shufflin 9/6

Georgia

Indiana
Indiana University: digitlnoize 9/7, pingouin 9/7

North Carolina

Ohio

BTW, I like the state/program format. :thumbup:

BTW, I like the state/program format. :thumbup:

I can't take credit, I saw it on another thread somewhere.

Congrats! When're you interviewing? (you can PM me if you don't want to talk about it publicly...or you don't have to at all...)

I can't take credit, I saw it on another thread somewhere.

Congrats! When're you interviewing? (you can PM me if you don't want to talk about it publicly...or you don't have to at all...)
You can have credit if I get credit for the bolding, which was also seen in previous years' threads. Deal?

You can have credit if I get credit for the bolding, which was also seen in previous years' threads. Deal?

Sure (although I've been bolding the version I'm keeping at the start of the thread...but I won't tell...oh wait...oops.)

Happy Day!

Undisclosed
Shufflin 9/6

Georgia

Indiana
Indiana University: digitlnoize 9/7, pingouin 9/7

North Carolina

Ohio

Virginia